Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32924 [4]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [6]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
General Discussion
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32924 [2]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Re: As a business model, the world of publishing has always been a somewh [#permalink]
Kudos
patto

I guess there's a typo in SajjadAhmad 's post. You can actually find the answer to the second question at the end of the first paragraph:

Quote:
In the 1990s, the Gutenberg project sought volunteers
to type literary classics that had
(10) expired copyrights
into word processing files
so that scholars would have searchable databases
for their research. Most of the works of Shakespeare,
Cervantes, Proust, and Moliere were to be found free
by as early as 1995.

adityathapliyal

I also got the last one wrong. Accordingly to my personal experience while practicing with gmat-like question, I suggest to look for the answer in the whole text and never refer to only a part of it. Question n.4 asks for inference. As the text tells us that

Quote:
These companies are striking deals with libraries,
and some publishers, to
(20) be able to provide their content, for a price,
to individual buyers over the Internet.

I thought that E could be correct. In fact, nothing is specified about the actual aim of the companies that provide free content on the internet. Therefore we cannot say that they " attempt to supplant the role of traditional publishers ".

On the other hand, paying attention to all the passage, we can catch the answer to question n.4 in the last paragraph:

Quote:
An association of
publishers has sued, claiming massive copyright
(35) infringement.
The case is several years
away from trial.

The existence of copyright infringement clearly tells us that large-scale companies who have recently joined the market are trying not to pay copyrights, hence the legal action from the association of publishers. - Answer: D

Hope it helps. Consider giving kudos if you appreciated my explanation! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Re: As a business model, the world of publishing has always been a somewh [#permalink]
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Official Explanation

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

Explanation

Process of Elimination is useful here. Does the author present a statistical analysis? No, so eliminate (A). While the author might be said to identify the reasons for a trend, does she recommend measures to address it? No, so eliminate (C). Does the author advocate anything whatsoever? No, so eliminate (D). Does the author argue in favor of any policy? No, so eliminate (E).

The correct answer is (B).

2. It can be inferred from the passage that the works of Shakespeare, Cervantes, and Molière

Explanation

Look for information about the authors mentioned in the question: It’s in the end of the second paragraph. Make sure to read the context and not just those lines. Based on the previous sentence, these books are examples of ones with expired copyrights that were typed and put online. This supports (B). Choices (A) and (E) might be true but cannot be inferred. Choice (C) is out of scope, as lawsuits apply to other works than the subject of this question. Choice (D) directly contradicts the passage.

The correct answer is (B).

3. Which of the following is an example of a book that a text-ondemand company would not have to acquire the rights to?

Explanation

The passage states in the last paragraph that these companies want to exploit the unclear situation of who owns the copyrights to certain books. They would want to print something that is not under copyright, so it would be in the public domain, as the passage indicates in lines 25–26. For (B), the passage does not say that all books over 20 years old may be freely printed.

The correct answer is (C).

4. It can be inferred from the passage that a common practice of texton-demand companies is to

Explanation

Use process of elimination. Choices (A) and (B) are recycled language—the passage mentions scanners and business plans but doesn’t say that. Choice (C) is a reversal—the passage states that these companies are looking for bargain basement content. Choice (D) fits with this statement. Choice (E) is not supported because the passage doesn’t explain what these practices have to do with the role of traditional publishers.

The correct answer is (D).

Hope it Helps

Hi!!
I've been reading the explanation. The expl for the second question says " It’s in the end of the second paragraph [...]" But It seems to me that the second paragraph does not say that at all.

Would you please help me?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hey. For Q4, I cant find any statement in the passage that agrees with Option D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts