Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 06:19 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 06:19
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [0]
Given Kudos: 1770
GPA: 4
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 618
GRE 1: Q165 V163

GRE 2: Q165 V163

GRE 3: Q170 V163
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ask ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting [#permalink]
Expert Reply
elPatron434 wrote:
Hello Shinri/ARINGO!,
I hope my message finds you in good health.

I am doing my research on LBS (Cambridge,Oxford and INSEAD too) and was hoping to get a profile eval for the programs

Background: Male, Indian, 27(at matriculation)
Undergrad : MIT Manipal( A top 15 University); Class of 2016 CG:7.06. Majored in Computer Science (Strong Advanced Maths Scores, Scored over an A in all the pertinent math courses)
GRE: 325(Q:165, V:160, AWA 4), Intend to retake and hopefully score higher
Work Experience:

3 years 8 months as of August 2020
1. Big Data Engineer at Tesco (Aug'16 - May'19)

A. Designed Pipelines on the company's big data infrastructure(Hadoop Platform) for the company's supply chain
B. Part of team that developed an analytics platform which unified over xxM customer accounts over diverse Tesco platforms to perform efficient forecasting and analysis for targeted promotions to strengthen customer loyalty(left before the results were out).
C. Worked with the company's Thailand business to ideate and led the development of solutions which went on to prevent the loss on XM unsold volumes of items amounting to XXX,XXX$ between 2018 -2019 and also by rating supplier performance for contract renewals
D. Worked with the company's Thailand and Central European business to developed taxonomy for over x million products for enhancing reporting across various levels(store, area, region etc).
E. Point of contact for Thailand's business users on the Engineering issues. Actively identified pain points and devised mechanisms which to address them
F. Tabled Proof Of Concepts' for supplanting the existing codestack with open source languages and frameworks with which upon adoption eventually supplanted 70% of the codebase and almost reduced run time by a third. Developed templates, conducted Knowledge transfer sessions and workshops to facilitate smoother migration for all team members.

2. Big Data Engineer at Groupon(Sep'19 - Present):

A. Part of a newly formed team to re-engineer the entire data infrastructure and migrate to the cloud
B. Designed mechanisms to improve efficiency of traffic attribution and thereby funding for marketing ( End results of this are awaited )
C. Improved efficiency and automated the generation of customer subscription metrics for NYSE reporting.

Target Industries
Product management in the big data space at organisations like Walmart, Tesco, Amazon. I intend to build upon my existing capacities as a data engineer and draw on my experiences of working at retail/e-commerce organisations to transition into a data centric product manager and leverage AI/ML to optimise supply chains and improve customer satisfaction. Need business "know-how" on a variety of subjects like supply chains and operations to enable this.

Extra Curriculars:
1. Elected member of the college core committee and headed a 25 member team for the infodesk and finance categories of the college for a year. Responsible for information dissemination on over 300 events to a 15000 strong student body and the distribution of participation passes to them. Played key roles in developing an online system to handle payments, cash prizes and registrations. This helped boost participation, revenue(over INR 600,000 was collected in participation revenue, a 15% increase from the last cycle) and efficiently streamlined crowds.
2. Work in the community with my parents and a few friends to arrange health camps, school and medical supplies for domestic helps, watchmen, drivers and municipality workers.
3. Play football in local teams and watch a lot of it
4. Organise/Attend pet dog meetups ( I love golden retrievers :p)

I would be grateful if you could also help me with the following queries,

1. Having worked as a data engineer, is my work experience too technical for top MBA programs?

2. How do the universities in question evaluate the male indian IT applicant? ( I dont see a lot of them on the class profile page at LBS)

3. While I have striven to understand the functioning of business and the impact of my work in the larger scheme of things and have collaborated effectively with stakeholders from 8 countries , I dont have the exposure of working across countries. Would this disadvantage me in a big way? ( I have lived across 7 cities in India if that's of any help)

4. Does applying with a GRE disadvantage me in any way? While Universities like Ross and ISB have expressed no preference for either when I had written to them, Universities like Fuqua have advised me to use the score converter to gauge ballpark GRE estimates for the program, whilst also stating that they have no preference between the tests. Now, I feel that the converter is inaccurate(For eg, a 170 on the GRE Quant corresponds to a nonexistent score,53, on the converted scale) and that it reduces the "net score" of an individual (For example, my 325 with a Q/V percentile split of 88%/86% on the GRE corresponds to 690 (Q/V 47/36, percentile split of 63%/81% according to Magoosh's scales(https://magoosh.com/gmat/score/gmat-score-calculator/)) which I feel is way off. Does this mean that the GRE scores are "standardised" to bring them in line with the GMAT during the admissions process? (I realise this is a very ad-com specific question, but I'd be grateful for your views on this)

My apologies for the inconvenience caused by inundating you with so many queries. I hope to get my test(s) behind me and start working on applications at the earliest.

Thank you in advance
Sincerely

Posted from my mobile device

elPatron434 hi,
Thanks for sharing your profile and contacting ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting

From what I can see:
- Academics - seem great!
- GRE - 325 is a good score for the school wish list (average GRE is a bit lower than the average GMAT equivariant) but naturally, a higher GRE will help to make you stand out
- Professionally -
o Tesco is a great brand
o Groupon too
o Did you have any promotions in either of these positions?
o Your international experience (your Thai and East European experience are great – emphasize this!)
- Extra-curricular activities – always good and nice you have serval interesting things going on!
- Your career aspirations (program manager) seem to be bang on (although if we work together, we will try to find something a bit more unique than just “Amazon program manager” – as this is pretty common)
Regarding your questions,
1. you are not too tech (I was a computer programmer before my MBA, and I shifted to consulting – so doable!)
2. you do have a lot of competition – so you will need to stand out (GRE, amazing applications)
3. not working in other countries is less good, but it is what it is. You have worked with teams from 7 countries – show that
4. All universities accept both GREs and GMATs. Although, as you mentioned, some universities have different GRE averages bs. The GMAT equivalent (this is mainly because most international applicants will go for the GMAT,) this is not a disadvantage for you, the opposite is true

Hope the above helps
Happy to answer any further questions you may have and (if you choose) work together on your applications!
I am always on shimriw@ARINGO.com
GOOD LUCK!

-
o
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
x

Originally posted by capmanaz on 25 Jul 2020, 11:16.
Last edited by capmanaz on 20 Apr 2021, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
capmanaz wrote:
Hello, please see my profile below, I really need help to know my chances and due to my nationality this is not very clear to me.

Demographics: Male, Chilean, 27

Education: Business Graduate from a top university in my country, GPA 5.5 out of 7.0 (Was 6th ranked out of 135 classmates).

GMAT:710 (q46 v41)

Work experience:
3,5 years as a strategy and operations consultant on a BIG 4 (Promoted to senior consultant after 1 year)

Extracurricular:
Won a national strategy case competition of a Big 4 on my country and participated on the international finals on Europe
Teaching Assistant of over 10 courses at college

Post-MBA goals:
Get into my family business (Food services company with 500 employees over two countries but only 15 MM USD of revenue) to help the development of new strategies.

Target schools: Harvard, Standford, Chicago, Columbia and London Business School

capmanaz hi,
I absolutely love your profile and feel, if you write good applications, you have fantastic chances to get into one of the schools of your top choice (with current GMAT!)
a great GPA. good GMAT, big 4, fast track promotion, case competition and the family business? you have it all!!!

I would love to speak further about your profile and chances and if interested, send me your details to Shimriw@ARINGO.com
But my bottom line is, write great applications (with experts like us : ), and you will get in!
GOOD LUCK!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I would very much appreciate if I can get your thoughts on my background.

Background: 27M, half East Asian, half Native Hawaiian
Round: R1 2021 (HWS, Booth, Kellogg)
GMAT: 710
YOE: 4 years as an Analytics Consultant at matriculation if excluding 2 YOE before earning my Bachelors (those 2 YOE were full time salaried positions at a tech company and a healthcare tech startup).
Extracurriculars: Served as the Student Chapter Liason for a professional organization for 3 years, and am currently an executive committee member. In addition to serving the student chapters of various universities (including one I was the president of as a college student), I have spent hundreds of hours mentoring students 1:1 and have directly helped many of them land their first full-time job.

Personal Background
My parents eloped because the East Asian side of my family didn't approve of the Hawaiian side. My parents then divorced while I was very young. My Mom raised 3 kids alone by herself. Grew up dirt poor. All of my life I have had to be self-sufficient and hustle to get ahead. I was cooking dinner for my family in 7th grade and had my first job in 9th grade. I believe my professional work experience will further demonstrate these traits.

[u]Experience[/u]
2015: 9 months at a software development company. I had several internships under my belt as a junior in college and decided that I had what it takes to work a full time position in tech. I applied to many openings and ended up receiving two offers. At this company, I started my analytics journey and pioneered the use of web traffic data in this company to analyze and forecast bookings/sales.
2016: One of my bosses joined a healthcare tech startup as their Director of Product, and liked me and my work so much that he brought me over. Being a startup I wore many hats. My official title was DevOps Analyst and I did some server maintenance here and there, QA when needed, and managed the various analytics platforms we were using (Google Analytics, New Relic, etc). Most importantly, I picked up the ability to operate in environments with high ambiguity and further honed my resourcefulness.

2017: Joined a global tech consulting firm as an Analyst after I graduated from college. I hustled hard and was on track to receive two promotions in one year (Analyst > Senior Analyst > Consultant), however a competitor poached me to their firm as a Consultant. I received about an 80% raise. Not sure if this huge raise further speaks to my competence and market value in the Tech Consulting industry.

2018: Now with almost 3 YOE but only 1 YOE in consulting, I was already being staffed in SME type roles. At this point I had also fulfilled multiple Advanced Analytics engagements for all of the O&G supermajors (in addition to other F100 companies).

2019-2020: Started being staffed in "tech lead" type roles. 2019 was a huge year for me. I was selected to be the SME for my skillset for an international project in SE Asia, leading workshops and advising the middle-upper management of a multinational pharma company in Singapore. After that, I was staffed as the Analytics Lead of an O&G's Business Transformation program that had $1.7b in its portfolio. Within 3 years of earning my undergraduate degree, I was fulfilling roles on projects that typically had people with 5-10 years of experience.

Why MBA?
As I mentioned, growing up was difficult, especially being an immigrant with no father figure. I learned that my great grandfather was an inventor and entrepreneur, and his company (which still exists today as one of the largest international Asian F&B brands) was nationalized. My great grandfather became my only father figure, and I read extensively about how he ran his company and his business values, which were (roughly translated), shrewd use of financial capital, being the best in his niche, and continuous learning to have the best educated workforce. Getting a top MBA and transitioning to a top consulting firm is in line with these values.

As I have moved up the ladder in tech consulting, I've gotten closer and closer to the decision makers, where some of the most impact can be made. I'm seeking an MBA to acquire a broad set of business skills which, when combined with my analytics expertise, will set me up to be a business leader in the future. Immediately after MBA, I would transition to strategy consulting at MBB/T2.

What are your thoughts on my chances at my selected schools for R1 2021 (HSW, Booth, Kellogg)? My hope is to get some scholarship money wherever I go.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Please help to review my profile for - Executive MBA programme in Canada.
Target timeline - Winter 2021 [Jan-Mar 2021] - if not feasible then Aug/Sep 2021

About me - Indian, 38 years old.
Education
a) Bachelors of Commerce - 2003 from India
b) Chartered Accountant - CA from India

Work Experience
a) Startup - Founder/Entrepreneur - 2 years
b) Professional Banking experience - 12+ years post qualification experience [including 4.5 years of international experience in Singapore]
Companies worked for in Banking/Financial Sector in Finance - Citibank, HSBC etc.

Post MBA Long Term goal
a) personal - Settle in Canada with family using post study and work with PR
b) professional - senior/larger responsibility i.e. Sr VP/ Director Finance/Strategy or similar roles with with Tech MNC, Startups, Banking/Finance/FMCG

Test Scores - not taken yet, but expecting IELTS if taken will be around 7-8 band
GMAT - i guess some colleges will waive it off unless mandatory
Extra-Curricular:
- Campus Hiring head for finance
- CFO Award in the organization twice in the career in difference bank
- Start up entrepreneur experience for 2 years.

Target Schools
- Tier 1 & Tier 2 MBA / EMBA Schools in Canada [Ontario, British Columbia]

Shortlisted Schools & Profile Evaluation for [EMBA if not then, MBA]
1. MBA at Ivey Business School - University of Western Ontario
2. Rotman School of Management - University of Toronto - have applied for pre-assessment.
3. Queen's School of Business - Queen's University
4. Schulich, York University

Notes
- Would prefer Jan-Apr intake in 2021, if not then Fall 2021
- GMAT if waived by university
- Scholarship Award

Any other points to be noted based on my career aspiration post MBA and my current education/experience background.

Looking to hear your suggestions.
Send PM
Expert Reply
standard19 hi,
thanks for reaching out to ARINGO

Can you please send me your CV to Shimriw@ARINGO.com that would help me evaluate your profile in a better manner (send me any other info too! like the exact programs you are aiming for...)
Also - do you hold some sort of Canadian visa/residency? or will you be relying on the studies to support your visa request (this can influence the type of program you are applying to)
TOEFL/IELTS is not required if you graduated from an English-language university
good luck!

standard19 wrote:
Please help to review my profile for - Executive MBA programme in Canada.
Target timeline - Winter 2021 [Jan-Mar 2021] - if not feasible then Aug/Sep 2021

About me - Indian, 38 years old.
Education
a) Bachelors of Commerce - 2003 from India
b) Chartered Accountant - CA from India

Work Experience
a) Startup - Founder/Entrepreneur - 2 years
b) Professional Banking experience - 12+ years post qualification experience [including 4.5 years of international experience in Singapore]
Companies worked for in Banking/Financial Sector in Finance - Citibank, HSBC etc.

Post MBA Long Term goal
a) personal - Settle in Canada with family using post study and work with PR
b) professional - senior/larger responsibility i.e. Sr VP/ Director Finance/Strategy or similar roles with with Tech MNC, Startups, Banking/Finance/FMCG

Test Scores - not taken yet, but expecting IELTS if taken will be around 7-8 band
GMAT - i guess some colleges will waive it off unless mandatory
Extra-Curricular:
- Campus Hiring head for finance
- CFO Award in the organization twice in the career in difference bank
- Start up entrepreneur experience for 2 years.

Target Schools
- Tier 1 & Tier 2 MBA / EMBA Schools in Canada [Ontario, British Columbia]

Shortlisted Schools & Profile Evaluation for [EMBA if not then, MBA]
1. MBA at Ivey Business School - University of Western Ontario
2. Rotman School of Management - University of Toronto - have applied for pre-assessment.
3. Queen's School of Business - Queen's University
4. Schulich, York University

Notes
- Would prefer Jan-Apr intake in 2021, if not then Fall 2021
- GMAT if waived by university
- Scholarship Award

Any other points to be noted based on my career aspiration post MBA and my current education/experience background.

Looking to hear your suggestions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Aringo Team.

sure, will send my summary CV to this email. to answer some of the points you mentioned.
a) i will need Study Permit to Study in
b) i have studied both my undergrad Bachelors of commerce and Professional certification/masters like chartered accountancy both in English.

are you sure i would not need IELTS Academic to give? also GMAT will it waive?

Also, please can you guide any target university?
Send PM
Expert Reply
standard19 wrote:
Thanks Aringo Team.

sure, will send my summary CV to this email. to answer some of the points you mentioned.
b) i have studied both my undergrad Bachelors of commerce and Professional certification/masters like chartered accountancy both in English.

standard19
I hate to be the one that gives you bad news...
I get this question a lot from candidates who are over 30/35...

1. As you are 38, you are a bit "overqualified" for full-time MBAs. in any case, you will need a GMAT ...
2. If you do not have a Canadian residency, it will be nearly impossible for you to commence with a part-time degree in Canada that doesn't offer a visa
3. Which program will fit you? well, I am curious to hear what Rotman EMBA say to you, but I think none of the programs you suggested will be a good fit. you can consider the MFIN. Technically, you should be a candidate in Toronto working already, as this is a PT course, but, I believe they have made exceptions in the past for exceptional international candidates in finance. There are also some cases in which the GMAT is waived. It’s a bit of a long shot (like with the EMBA, you can book an appointment with the admissions team for a profile to review to see what they say) https://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/Degrees/ ... onCriteria
My suggestion to you is to look in this page: https://www.aringo.com/mba-over-30/ although the programs are in the US, they will fit your profile in a better way...

In any case, good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ARINGO wrote:
standard19 wrote:
Thanks Aringo Team.

standard19

1. As you are 38, you are a bit "overqualified" for full-time MBAs. in any case, you will need a GMAT ...
2. If you do not have a Canadian residency, it will be nearly impossible for you to commence with a part-time degree in Canada that doesn't offer a visa
3. Which program will fit you? well, I am curious to hear what Rotman EMBA say to you, but I think none of the programs you suggested will be a good fit. you can consider the MFIN. Technically, you should be a candidate in Toronto working already, as this is a PT course, but, I believe they have made exceptions in the past for exceptional international candidates in finance. There are also some cases in which the GMAT is waived. It’s a bit of a long shot (like with the EMBA, you can book an appointment with the admissions team for a profile to review to see what they say)
My suggestion to you is to look in this page: although the programs are in the US, they will fit your profile in a better way...

In any case, good luck!

Thanks i will update this thread once i have the discussion with Rotman, etc
can you confirm if EMBA considered as full time or part time?
Send PM
Expert Reply
standard19 wrote:
ARINGO wrote:
standard19 wrote:
Thanks Aringo Team.

standard19

3. Which program will fit you? well, I am curious to hear what Rotman EMBA say to you, but I think none of the programs you suggested will be a good fit. you can consider the MFIN. Technically, you should be a candidate in Toronto working already, as this is a PT course, but, I believe they have made exceptions in the past for exceptional international candidates in finance. There are also some cases in which the GMAT is waived. It’s a bit of a long shot (like with the EMBA, you can book an appointment with the admissions team for a profile to review to see what they say)
My suggestion to you is to look in this page: although the programs are in the US, they will fit your profile in a better way...

In any case, good luck!

Thanks i will update this thread once i have the discussion with Rotman, etc
can you confirm if EMBA considered as full time or part time?

Hi,
Rotman (and any other Canadian EMBA) is part-time...
Classes take place on campus twice a month on Fridays and Saturdays, and four one-week residential modules in downtown Toronto.
Good luck in your discussions!
Shimri
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Hi ARINGO,
I am Ananth, 24 years Indian male.
GMAT 1: 670 (V34, Q48, IR 7, AWA 5)
GMAT 2: 700(V37, Q49, IR 7)

Target Schools: Oxford Said MBA, Cambridge Judge MBA, Cornell Johnson MBA, Yale (Masters in Asset Management)
Application: Round 1 this year
Current Industry: Financial Services Current Role: Data scientist
Target Industry: Financial Services
Target role: Return to data analytics role at a senior position and use the MBA to move into C-suite in the next 10 years (On My reporting manager's advice. He believes an MBA from a top school is a prerequisite for my rapid career accession and so do I)

Profile:
Undergraduate education (2013-2017): Anna University, GPA 7.76/10, Awarded merit scholarship that covered tuition and living expenses for 4 years, Graduated in 2017, Studied Electrical Engineering
Post Graduate education (Jan 2018-Oct 2018): Praxis Business School, Completed a certificate program in Business Analytics(Full time, 1 year), GPA 6.48/8, Rank 1, Director's merit list scholarship recipient, Graduated in 2018

Work Experience:
1) Lentra.ai June 2019 - present
Moved here with my reporting manager from Tata Capital
Achievement: Built machine learning models that increased the approval rate by 10% and reduced risk by 30% of an NBFI with $7.5 billion Asset Under Management
2) Tata Capital Financial Services November 2018 - June 2019
3) Zoho Corporation May 2017 - December 2017

I have attached my resume for your reference.

Request you to please evaluate my chances at my target schools
Attachments

Resume_Ananthakumar_Sethuramanujam.pdf [146.06 KiB]
Downloaded 47 times

Send PM
Expert Reply
AnanthRamanujam wrote:
Hi ARINGO,
I am Ananth, 24 years Indian male.
GMAT 1: 670 (V34, Q48, IR 7, AWA 5)
GMAT 2: 700(V37, Q49, IR 7)

Target Schools: Oxford Said MBA, Cambridge Judge MBA, Cornell Johnson MBA, Yale (Masters in Asset Management)
Application: Round 1 this year
Current Industry: Financial Services Current Role: Data scientist
Target Industry: Financial Services
Target role: Return to data analytics role at a senior position and use the MBA to move into C-suite in the next 10 years (On My reporting manager's advice. He believes an MBA from a top school is a prerequisite for my rapid career accession and so do I)

Profile:
Undergraduate education (2013-2017): Anna University, GPA 7.76/10, Awarded merit scholarship that covered tuition and living expenses for 4 years, Graduated in 2017, Studied Electrical Engineering
Post Graduate education (Jan 2018-Oct 2018): Praxis Business School, Completed a certificate program in Business Analytics(Full time, 1 year), GPA 6.48/8, Rank 1, Director's merit list scholarship recipient, Graduated in 2018

Work Experience:
1) Lentra.ai June 2019 - present
Moved here with my reporting manager from Tata Capital
Achievement: Built machine learning models that increased the approval rate by 10% and reduced risk by 30% of an NBFI with $7.5 billion Asset Under Management
2) Tata Capital Financial Services November 2018 - June 2019
3) Zoho Corporation May 2017 - December 2017

I have attached my resume for your reference.

Request you to please evaluate my chances at my target schools

AnanthRamanujam hi,
Thanks for sharing your profile
Your academics are great
Your professional career is interesting, but as you are young, your professional experience is a bit weaker than other candidates (as you had two short roles, and now you have been working just over 1 y Lentra.ai )
Your GMAT is on par, but nothing special for an Indian male engineer (sorry, but you come from a competitive background)

I would do one of the following:
1. Wait 1-2 years, and hopefully, 1-2 promotions, gain experience, apply in 2 years as a much stronger applicant
2. Apply now, but you might have to compromise on the school list. the school list you sent is good, and you are in the game for all schools, but they are all a bit of a stretch for you.
3. you mentioned you want to work in data analytics. why not go for Masters in Analytics and Management (LBS) or Master in Business Analytics (Duke) etc.? these degrees might give you the same tools as an MBA, with the specialization you are looking for and with the same brand and infrastructure of the amazing business schools... just a thought!

Feel free to PM me (Shimriw@ARINGO.com) for more info
GOOD LUCK!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Hi ARINGO,
Thank you for the reply. Shimri, I have sent you an email. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33
Send PM
Hi Aringo-Please evaluate my profile

Please evaluate my profile and let me know my chances.

Experience: Female, 7 years in IT (Big data Testing). Cognizant Technology Solutions.
Geography: Indian
Latest GMAT: 650(Q47 V33) IR 2

Job Profile:
1. Technical trainer in Infosys(2 years) Teaching recent college graduate to transform them into working professional.
2. Worked with US bank client. As a team lead(5 member team) from offshore.
3. Currently, working with Australian Telecomm client.

No onsite experience.

Received award in first project from Client company for delivering the project without any flaw.

Extra curricular:
Taught English to student of government school on Saturday.

Post Mba:
Work as a Strategy Consultant.

Geography:
Singapore, Canada or Australia. Mostly looking for 1year MBA program.

My GMAT is pretty low. But I am targeting round 1. So not sure if I should appear GMAT once again or concentrate on my application.

Send PM
Expert Reply
Anki2609 wrote:
Hi Aringo-Please evaluate my profile

Please evaluate my profile and let me know my chances.

Experience: Female, 7 years in IT (Big data Testing). Cognizant Technology Solutions.
Geography: Indian
Latest GMAT: 650(Q47 V33) IR 2

Job Profile:
1. Technical trainer in Infosys(2 years) Teaching recent college graduate to transform them into working professional.
2. Worked with US bank client. As a team lead(5 member team) from offshore.
3. Currently, working with Australian Telecomm client.

No onsite experience.

Received award in first project from Client company for delivering the project without any flaw.

Extra curricular:
Taught English to student of government school on Saturday.

Post Mba:
Work as a Strategy Consultant.

Geography:
Singapore, Canada or Australia. Mostly looking for 1year MBA program.

My GMAT is pretty low. But I am targeting round 1. So not sure if I should appear GMAT once again or concentrate on my application.

Anki2609 hi,
Shimri from ARINGO here

So, on the good side: it sounds like you have a fantastic work experience!
your 7 years of work experience sound very interesting! and working with international clients (hopefully some known brands) is great!
Your trainer and managerial experience also sound great. and you can show you progressed in the company and your managers appreciated your work and gave you more and more responsibilities. nice
Extra0curriculer activities are also important - teaching on Saturdays is nice, although need to understands what else you have (volunteering, hobbies, or any other out of work experiences)
on the less good side... As you do come from a competitive background, the 650 might be an issue for some schools, and it really depends on which business schools you are aiming for?
If you send me your school wish list, and your CV I will have more info and perhaps be able to give you a longer analysis and chances estimation.
If you think you can improve the GMAT, go down that route! even if it means missing R1.
Round 2 has better chances with 20+ points in the GMAT!

in any case, I am on shimriw@ARINGO.com for a deeper analysis. GOOD LUCK!
Shimri
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Hi there. Looking for some guidance and also shopping around for consultant services. My main concern is GPA and not having a 750+ GMAT.

Demographics (nationality, gender): Born in Turkey but am American citizen now (moved here in elementary); first generation college student; male

Education (undergraduate institution, GPA, major - high school/entrance exams not needed): Top 100 state school on full ride due to first generation scholar program. Engineering major. 3.1 GPA

GMAT or GRE (include section breakdown): 730 (Q46 V44)

WE: Currently at six years work experience. Started career in a leadership development program for operations at a global conglomerate (Danaher/GE/UTC) which culminated in a management position at a manufacturing facility. I led a team of 8 people (blue collar) for a new business segment ($2M annual rev. in oil & gas deep sea drilling equipment manufacturing) and immediately had improvements to business operationally (better lead time, reduced customer complaints, etc.). Asked for nomination to internal audit group usually reserved for finance backgrounds and after a one month "internship" was awarded full time role. Worked globally in audit position for 1.5 yrs including in Germany (renewable energy) and also spent time in technology sales/marketing where I was on a 3-person team which won CEO award. Recruited by non-MBB management consulting firm focusing solely on PE operations where I have had one promotion after 1.5 yrs. My job is focused on diligence advisory and operational performance improvement. I have had multiple projects in Mexico for this role and general industries include industrial manufacturing, consumer goods manufacturing, medical devices, and pharmaceuticals.

EC: I was a mentor coach for first generation college students in NYC coming from difficult backgrounds like myself (older brother in jail from 9th grade thru college). I coached two students - one is now studying at Baruch and the other has increased his GPA from below 2.0 to above 3.0 in one year at a community college. I was asked to join the Board of the organization but had to move. I keep in touch with the leadership and the students I coached regularly.

Post-MBA goals: I want to shift my career to leadership in a technology company, preferably in corporate strategy, product management, or corporate development (love the mental work of acquisitions/mergers). Unfortunately I do not see my current job as lending me that opportunity due to lack of exposure to technology clients.

Target schools: Stretch is GSB but I understand my odds are nearly zero due to GPA (a man can dream eh? :) ). MIT & Booth are my targets but am also looking at Haas and UW Foster

I am trying to combat the low GPA with a high GMAT but am now sure how much higher I can go. Is a 750 going to move the needle for admissions into MIT/Booth? Should I focus more on refining my story instead? Have I done enough in my career to off-set the GPA?
Send PM
Expert Reply
uural4792 wrote:
Hi there. Looking for some guidance and also shopping around for consultant services. My main concern is GPA and not having a 750+ GMAT.

Demographics (nationality, gender): Born in Turkey but am American citizen now (moved here in elementary); first generation college student; male

Education (undergraduate institution, GPA, major - high school/entrance exams not needed): Top 100 state school on full ride due to first generation scholar program. Engineering major. 3.1 GPA

GMAT or GRE (include section breakdown): 730 (Q46 V44)

WE: Currently at six years work experience. Started career in a leadership development program for operations at a global conglomerate (Danaher/GE/UTC) which culminated in a management position at a manufacturing facility. I led a team of 8 people (blue collar) for a new business segment ($2M annual rev. in oil & gas deep sea drilling equipment manufacturing) and immediately had improvements to business operationally (better lead time, reduced customer complaints, etc.). Asked for nomination to internal audit group usually reserved for finance backgrounds and after a one month "internship" was awarded full time role. Worked globally in audit position for 1.5 yrs including in Germany (renewable energy) and also spent time in technology sales/marketing where I was on a 3-person team which won CEO award. Recruited by non-MBB management consulting firm focusing solely on PE operations where I have had one promotion after 1.5 yrs. My job is focused on diligence advisory and operational performance improvement. I have had multiple projects in Mexico for this role and general industries include industrial manufacturing, consumer goods manufacturing, medical devices, and pharmaceuticals.

EC: I was a mentor coach for first generation college students in NYC coming from difficult backgrounds like myself (older brother in jail from 9th grade thru college). I coached two students - one is now studying at Baruch and the other has increased his GPA from below 2.0 to above 3.0 in one year at a community college. I was asked to join the Board of the organization but had to move. I keep in touch with the leadership and the students I coached regularly.

Post-MBA goals: I want to shift my career to leadership in a technology company, preferably in corporate strategy, product management, or corporate development (love the mental work of acquisitions/mergers). Unfortunately I do not see my current job as lending me that opportunity due to lack of exposure to technology clients.

Target schools: Stretch is GSB but I understand my odds are nearly zero due to GPA (a man can dream eh? :) ). MIT & Booth are my targets but am also looking at Haas and UW Foster

I am trying to combat the low GPA with a high GMAT but am now sure how much higher I can go. Is a 750 going to move the needle for admissions into MIT/Booth? Should I focus more on refining my story instead? Have I done enough in my career to off-set the GPA?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Your work experience is impressive and your coaching is definitely a talking point for an essay or interview.

GSB have an average GMAT of 732, so of course yours in extremely close. We have had students gain admission with GMAT scores as low as 620. So your GMAT is nothing to worry about.

There are points during the admissions process where you can discuss the reasoning for your low GPA, if you have a valid reason.

We have also had clients received admissions to MIT and Booth with GMAT scores of around the low-middle 600s mark.

Feel free to play around with our free MBA chances estimation calculator. It's a great tool.

Also, feel free to be in touch with us at ARINGO.com for a free phone consultation.

All the best,

Georgia

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  51   52   53   54   55  ...  75