Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Ask GyanOne MBA Admission Consultants - Top Bschool Applications [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Darden MBA Admissions Team Advice for Indian Applicants

GyanOne Interviews Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, MBA Admissions team. In this interview, Sara Neher, Assistant Dean, MBA Admissions, talks about how Indian applicants can leverage their experience in tech-focussed job profiles, to strengthen their candidature at Darden.

GyanOne: The Darden MBA admissions process looks at experience, insight, a willingness to contribute, and a history of achievement as the minimum common denominators of the distinguished applicants who make it to the school every year. While academic and professional experience are easy to quantify and discuss, personal characteristics, which can often set outstanding candidates apart from others, are more difficult to explain. What are the key personal qualities that are key for applicants in their Darden MBA applications?

Sara Neher: We are looking for people of integrity with excellent communication skills. Communication skills are not just speaking, but also listening. In the case method at Darden, our students must be willing and able to share their ideas and opinions as well as listen to and learn from the ideas of their classmates.

GyanOne: A number of applicants, especially South Asians, work in technology-related areas, and therefore struggle to communicate direct business impact. How can these applicants (especially those from IT services firms) differentiate themselves in their Darden MBA applications?

Sara Neher: Applicants should not actually concern themselves with “differentiating” – that is the wrong way to approach an application. I would much rather they focus on presenting themselves authentically. You are naturally different, even if you are from the same job and work in cubicles next to each other – you had different families, different educational experiences, and different interests outside of work. Make sure that we know about these experiences and outside interests (in the activities sections during college and currently). IT backgrounds are very in demand by American companies like Amazon, Microsoft and Google (some of our biggest recruiters). It is a great background for an MBA.

Darden MBA Admissions Team Interviews

Originally posted by GyanOne on 09 Jun 2015, 02:19.
Last edited by GyanOne on 22 Apr 2020, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Ask GyanOne MBA Admission Consultants - Top Bschool Applications [#permalink]
Expert Reply
How to Select the Right MBA Program: A Step by Step Guide

Ready to finally take the plunge and apply to B school? Deciding that you would like to seek business education at the master’s level is a key step in determining firmly the direction of your future career. At GyanOne, we believe that the next most critical step is determining the right B-school(s) to apply to. Here is our take on how one should approach the B school selection process:

Decide what is best for you: Unfortunately, a lot of people still pick schools as if they were dishes in a restaurant (“I’ll have what everyone’s having”). It is important to realize that B school selection does not subscribe to a ‘one size fits all’ formula. What is appropriate for your friend from college may not be appropriate for you. The two of you may have different achievements, grades, GMAT scores, and just plain preferences. Deciding to apply to schools based on others’ opinions is criminal. The only other people who you should perhaps bank on are admissions consultants (yes, I know we say this tongue in cheek, but it is also true). This is because they are professionals, and can help you identify the right schools based on your profile and preferences. Choosing the right admissions consultant is another matter, altogether, and in our blog we have noted some strategies that you can adopt in this regard.

GyanOne’s guide to MBA Rankings

Originally posted by GyanOne on 12 Jun 2015, 03:18.
Last edited by GyanOne on 22 Apr 2020, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Ask GyanOne MBA Admission Consultants - Top Bschool Applications [#permalink]
Hi,

I need a general profile evaluation on my chances for good US schools that I am listing here.

Profile details:
GMAT 720 (51q, 35v). Taken GMAT three times. Other scores were 650 and 690. Last score was 690.
GPA 77% from a non-IIT engineering college in India in Mumbai. Finished first class with distinction. Mechanical engineer with many good projects and internships done in the mechanical engineering field. In class 10 I was a very average student with just 71% marks but in 12th I did better and got 91%.

Work experience:
I started working for a manufacturing company called Denso and worked there for more than two years. The kind of projects I did there were very good, and I also worked in areas like finite element analysis which is considered cutting edge.
Won employee of the month award twice in my tenure. Did not get promoted. Left because I got a very good offer from TCS. After this I spent four more years working for TCS. I got a chance to go onsite, and I worked on TCS financial software. I did not work only on software development but also participated in many client presentations and bids for projects by providing technical inputs. I worked on many products for TCS Bancs (it is like TCS's version of Oracle, except for banks and insurance companies). Two promotions at TCS so far. I also have a chance to go onsite.

Extra curricular:
When I was working for DENSO, I volunteered for a local old age home in Delhi. I went there on most weekends. But I have now lost the certificate I got from there. After I left Delhi to work in TCS, I have been part of many CSR events at TCS but I have not been so regular in terms of NGO work. Other than NGO I play badminton and won some awards for it in college. I have also played chess and I have also won some local tournaments.

You can ask if you want more inputs. Now my questions are
1) I am planning to apply to Columbia, Stern, UCLA, Tepper, Rice Jones, Kelley, and Emory. Is this list ok
2) I am unable to convert my percentage from 77% to 4.0 GPA. How do I do this?
3) Of these MBA's which all will require tofel scores? I have not given toefl yet but if needed I can do it. Also will taking toefl increase my chances at these programs?
4) I switched from mechanical to computers after 3 years. Is this going to be a problem?
5) i have not done any NGO work for last 3-4 years except through csr at TCS. Is this a problem?
6) Should I go onsite now? If I get into a good MBA, I will have to resign. Is going onsite an advantage?
7) Also tell me if I can apply to ISB in India as backup

Thanks in advance.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: Ask GyanOne MBA Admission Consultants - Top Bschool Applications [#permalink]
Expert Reply
GRE or GMAT? Which Exam is Preferred for MBA Admissions?

GMAT vs GRE – this is a conundrum that is not uncommon among MBA applicants today. This scenario has developed fairly recently, but it is here to stay. 2011 onwards, ETS (Education Testing Service, the people who conduct the GRE) started pushing for wider inclusion of the GRE among business schools. According to a US News report, more and more business schools are now also accepting the GRE for MBA admissions. Before we can get to the question on whether one should take the GRE or the GMAT for B-school admissions, we first need to compare the two tests to point out obvious differences.

Key Differences between GMAT and GRE
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
So you did less than your best on the GMAT? Retaking? Read On

The GMAT can be brutal sometimes. After months of preparing week after week, day after day, sometimes the result comes out to be significantly below your expectation. This can mean not just frustration and disappointment at not being able to reach a target score, but also concern around being able to muster your strength for a second attempt and do better next time round. Retaking GMAT is not about being disappointed, but about analyzing what went wrong, and then fixing it.

Retaking GMAT is about smart planning
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
A Top MBA can land you your Dream Consulting Job

Consulting after MBA seems to be the preferred career choice for the vast majority of MBA applicants today. For some, it is an escape from the comparatively monotonous corporate life they have had so far. For others, it is a dream that involves getting the chance to work on new projects frequently, travelling, and helping clients fix their companies. Whatever the allure, the fact is that consulting after MBA forms the predominant career choice for B-school applicants when they apply. Yet, many are still unaware of the particular career choices they have. Consulting today is a function, and MBA graduates have opportunities to work in many different sectors within this area. Here is a brief list:

Strategy consulting: Firms within this classification typically carry out the most ‘interesting’ work – helping large firms and CEOs chart out strategy, align their vision with their offerings, enter new market segments, or create new growth plans. Most strategy consulting firms work with the top management of their clients. The biggest names in this space are the ‘Big 3′ (McKinsey, BCG, and Bain), but there are also others like AT Kearney, Roland Berger, and to a more limited extent Accenture, while some others like Booz and Monitor have now been acquired (more on this below).

Consulting post MBA: What are the opportunities?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:
subodhi12394 wrote:
Hi,

I need a general profile evaluation on my chances for good US schools that I am listing here.

Profile details:
GMAT 720 (51q, 35v). Taken GMAT three times. Other scores were 650 and 690. Last score was 690.
GPA 77% from a non-IIT engineering college in India in Mumbai. Finished first class with distinction. Mechanical engineer with many good projects and internships done in the mechanical engineering field. In class 10 I was a very average student with just 71% marks but in 12th I did better and got 91%.

Work experience:
I started working for a manufacturing company called Denso and worked there for more than two years. The kind of projects I did there were very good, and I also worked in areas like finite element analysis which is considered cutting edge.
Won employee of the month award twice in my tenure. Did not get promoted. Left because I got a very good offer from TCS. After this I spent four more years working for TCS. I got a chance to go onsite, and I worked on TCS financial software. I did not work only on software development but also participated in many client presentations and bids for projects by providing technical inputs. I worked on many products for TCS Bancs (it is like TCS's version of Oracle, except for banks and insurance companies). Two promotions at TCS so far. I also have a chance to go onsite.

Extra curricular:
When I was working for DENSO, I volunteered for a local old age home in Delhi. I went there on most weekends. But I have now lost the certificate I got from there. After I left Delhi to work in TCS, I have been part of many CSR events at TCS but I have not been so regular in terms of NGO work. Other than NGO I play badminton and won some awards for it in college. I have also played chess and I have also won some local tournaments.

You can ask if you want more inputs. Now my questions are
1) I am planning to apply to Columbia, Stern, UCLA, Tepper, Rice Jones, Kelley, and Emory. Is this list ok
2) I am unable to convert my percentage from 77% to 4.0 GPA. How do I do this?
3) Of these MBA's which all will require tofel scores? I have not given toefl yet but if needed I can do it. Also will taking toefl increase my chances at these programs?
4) I switched from mechanical to computers after 3 years. Is this going to be a problem?
5) i have not done any NGO work for last 3-4 years except through csr at TCS. Is this a problem?
6) Should I go onsite now? If I get into a good MBA, I will have to resign. Is going onsite an advantage?
7) Also tell me if I can apply to ISB in India as backup

Thanks in advance.

Hi Subodhi12394,

Thanks for your detailed post. Always good to see applicants having some clear questions to ask than just an overview (though we are happy to help there too!).

We will get straight away into the questions you have listed. In case there are any other aspects that you want us to help answer, we will be glad to do so.

1) School selection is generally a comprehensive exercise, so these recommendations are not final. On your school list, just based on the information that you have provided, Columbia and Stern seem like stretch schools for you. UCLA and Tepper might be possibilities, but we will need more details around your work with TCS to really offer more details around school selection. Jones, Kelley, Emory look ok on first glance.
2) For most schools, you will not even need to do this. They will ask you to enter your score as in the Indian system (percentage / 10.0 GPA). Some schools like Rice Jones will ask for grades conversion, and you can get that done through services like WES online.
3) Most of these schools will not require TOEFL scores if your medium of instruction at the college level has been English. One exception to this is Kelley, which requires Indian applicants to take the TOEFL even if they had English as the medium of instruction at the college level. If possible, take the TOEFL now as TOEFL dates can be hard to find later in the year and you might need to travel to get your TOEFL scores in time to send to schools if you take it later. On whether TOEFL can make you more competitive at MBA admissions, the answer is usually no.
4) Switching from Mechanical Engg to Computer Science should not be a problem in terms of admissions, but you will need to make a case for why you made the move. A good offer from TCS is understandable, but the reasons must go beyond the compensation offered. Why did you move to a completely unrelated area? What did you find interesting? How have you justified this move through your achievements? You will need to answer these questions and more. If your post-MBA goals are also in IT, that should help.
5) Please note that NGO work / social work is not a requirement for any MBA application. In case you do have significant social contributions to highlight, by all means do so, but outside that context NGO work has only limited value for MBA admissions. A small number of schools focus on this aspect in their applications, but it can also be answered through various other ways outside NGO work. Your work with TCS CSR is relevant.
6) Yes, going onsite (assuming to a European country or the US) can be an advantage. Go for it.
7) Your scores and overall profile parameters, as mentioned here, seem to indicate that you should be fine applying to ISB, just on the basis of your profile. See other caveats in point 1 above about school selection. The application pool you belong to (Indian IT Male) is going to make things competitive for you there (as it will at other programs too, but ISB gets more applications from this pool than other schools), so you will need to differentiate yourself and show how you are not just another Indian IT engineer applying to ISB. Having broad numbers conforming to the general student parameters in a school is one thing, and creating a strong application that wins you admission to that school is quite another. Therefore, don't judge your chances at different schools based only on numbers or averages.

Go through the following article meant for Indian IT applicants: Indian IT Male applicants - applying to MBA programs

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with further queries.

Thank you for your very detailed reply gyanone. I sincerely appreciate your hard work. I have few other questions-
1. How do I decide which are stretch schools for me? Columbia and Stern GMAT scores are both below my GMAT score. I am not challenging your opinion but I want to know how this is done so I can better do it also. Besides these I want to also look at Cornell. Am I good for that?
2. I have decided to apply to ISB but I have some questions on that - can I hope to move to a management consulting firm like Bain or Mckinsey from ISB? Would it be better to go to a US school if I want to do that? I will be glad if you can shed some insight on it, although I will still apply to ISB anyway.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Subodhi12394,

1. School selection is not a formula-based process based just on GMAT score averages. While schools that have average GMAT scores significantly higher than yours are likely to be stretch schools, those at or slightly below your own GMAT scores are not necessarily safe. School selection is a comprehensive process based on a number of factors, including but not limited to your own profile, industry, and school parameters.
2. On the consulting firms that you mention, please note that Bain does not recruit from ISB at all, and McKinsey recruits around 5-10 people from the ISB batch of around 770 (819 this year). That number is going to be much higher at Kellogg, for example. It will be pretty similar or even lower at an Emory. So depends on which school you are applying to, not just the geography.

Happy to answer further questions. Hope this helps.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Subodhi12394,

1. School selection is not a formula-based process based just on GMAT score averages. While schools that have average GMAT scores significantly higher than yours are likely to be stretch schools, those at or slightly below your own GMAT scores are not necessarily safe. School selection is a comprehensive process based on a number of factors, including but not limited to your own profile, industry, and school parameters.
2. On the consulting firms that you mention, please note that Bain does not recruit from ISB at all, and McKinsey recruits around 5-10 people from the ISB batch of around 770 (819 this year). That number is going to be much higher at Kellogg, for example. It will be pretty similar or even lower at an Emory. So depends on which school you are applying to, not just the geography.

Happy to answer further questions. Hope this helps.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Why did Harsh Reject an Offer from Yale?

Although Harsh’s final interview at Kellogg went well, he reported that he stumbled at a couple of places because he put too much pressure on himself and was spending too much energy judging on how his interview was going. Nevertheless, his solid preparation meant that Harsh was able to deliver a good account of himself, and his hopes, aims, and challenges. The final admit came in recently. Needless to say, Harsh was over the moon with the results. While Harsh was elated at having made it to Kellogg, more good news was to follow later. Just a couple of weeks later, he came to know that he had been offered admits at Yale and McCombs as well!

Why did Harsh reject the Yale MBA Admit Offer?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
India Dominates as the Destination for One Year MBA in Asia

One year MBA programs in Asia have had a strange history. At the turn of the century, such programs were virtually non-existent. Then the Indian School of Business (ISB) opened its doors in 2001, pioneering the concept of the one year program for experienced professionals in India. Till then, the flagship programs of the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs), each of a two year duration, ruled the roost completely. Initially, the one year concept was met with skepticism, but ISB’s wild success in a short period forced even the IIMs to go for a rethink. At different points in the following years, the IIMs launched executive programs of their own, different from their flagship programs. Some other top Indian B-schools have followed. Today, in another twist to the tale, the IIM Ahmedabad executive program (PGPX) is ranked above the ISB PGP by the FT MBA ranking 2014 .

Are all Asian one year MBA programs similar in character?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Johnson Cornell MBA: A Resourceful MBA for Applicants from Real Estate Industry

The Johnson Cornell MBA, with strong employment statistics and support, boasts of a rich student life too. GyanOne interviewed Saniya Gandhi, a current student at the Johnson Cornell MBA program, to get her first-hand perspectives on Cornell MBA student life. Saniya also shares her perspectives on the Cornell community, studying in Ithaca, and academic specializations such as Real Estate that can be taken up as part of the Cornell MBA.

What are the resources available at Johnson for people with a consulting background to pursue opportunities in other areas? How can one leverage the resources of other schools to pursue niche specializations such as Real Estate?

As I mentioned in earlier questions, Cornell has a huge variety in the academic fields it offers. Real estate is no different. The customized immersion that I mentioned allows for students to tailor their curriculum to suit these niche specializations. Not only do students get to take classes at other schools, but they also can take part in clubs, organizations and events. As a student interested in real estate, I participated in the annual Cornell Real Estate Conference, which I think it is the largest university-led real estate conference in the US. These conferences and other events provide excellent networking opportunities for students that are pursuing an industry that is mostly off-campus. The career management center also has advisors that specialize in niche fields such as real estate, and they are also a great resource.

Johnson Cornell MBA: A Resourceful MBA for Applicants from Real Estate Industry
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
4 Steps to Select the Right MBA for Yourself

Ready to finally take the plunge and apply to B school? Deciding that you would like to seek business education at the master’s level is a key step in determining firmly the direction of your future career. At GyanOne, we believe that the next most critical step is determining the right B-school(s) to apply to.

Decide what is best for you: Unfortunately, a lot of people still pick schools as if they were dishes in a restaurant (“I’ll have what everyone’s having”). It is important to realize that B school selection does not subscribe to a ‘one size fits all’ formula. What is appropriate for your friend from college may not be appropriate for you. The two of you may have different achievements, grades, GMAT scores, and just plain preferences. Deciding to apply to schools based on others’ opinions is criminal. The only other people who you should perhaps bank on are admissions consultants (yes, I know we say this tongue in cheek, but it is also true). This is because they are professionals, and can help you identify the right schools based on your profile and preferences. Choosing the right admissions consultant is another matter, altogether, and in our blog we have noted some strategies that you can adopt in this regard.

Don’t look at just one parameter
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
5 Mistakes to Avoid to Get a Stellar GMAT Score

The GMAT club of 700+ scorers has a lot of accomplished individuals. They work hard to develop their skills and understand the concepts that the GMAT tests. However, success on the GMAT depends not only on working hard, but also on working smart. Based on our own experience of talking to various people who have taken it (and we have a substantially large database of 500+ people who we are talking about here), here is the list of the most common mistakes made by GMAT test takers. We have found that people who make these mistakes on the test do significantly below their ability, and that people who do not consistently score according to their potential and very often above it. Getting into the 700+ GMAT club depends to a great extent on avoiding these mistakes.

5 Mistakes to Avoid to Get a Stellar GMAT Score
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
How have the ISB Placements 2015 been? Which Top Companies visited? Which Industry Dominated?
Get all your answers here

Achche din have certainly arrived at the ISB campus in 2015. For the Co2015, ISB reported interim placements figures that indicate a whopping jump of 77 percent over corresponding figures last year. This should bring glad tidings to those who are considering the school in the near future. While the number of offers per se is not a guarantee of substantially better placements, it does certainly indicate rising demand for ISB graduates. This will no doubt help the school in the rankings (ranked 33 this year in the FT ranking after being ranked 34 last year. ISB’s best rank in the same ranking has been 12 in 2010), besides of course giving its graduates a wider spectrum of more post-MBA options.

ISB Placements 2015 : Consulting and Tech dominate
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Life at Emory Goizueta Business School
by a Business Analytics Professional

Siddharth is a thorough professional, a technology enthusiast, and passionate about the potential of analytics to deliver value to business. He is also a part of the Emory Goizueta community and a current student at Emory Goizueta (Class of 2016). Siddharth is one of the most smart, hard-working, and generous individuals we know. In this article, part of our ongoing initiative to bring to potential applicants insights on top MBA programs, Siddharth provides an insider’s perspective on life and learning at the Goizueta MBA. Over to Siddharth.

Life at Emory University - Goizueta Business School
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
What Has Been Your Biggest Failure Till Date?

Questions about failure are common set of questions seen in many B-School Applications. Apart from the obvious takeaway of “learning from the mistake/failure”, what are some of the other aspects that the MBA Admissions team is trying to learn about the candidate? There are two other important aspects that the Admissions team is trying to judge through this particular question.

How to Approach MBA Admissions Failure Essays
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  45