Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1013 [96]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [58]
Given Kudos: 130
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [4]
Send PM
Re: At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a visa, a land [#permalink]
Kudos
D is my choice.

A. a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever would be needed by each of them
- Need needed of instead of needed by
B. they would need a visa, a landing visa, and evidence of their being inoculated against typhoid fever
- no need of their being... just being would work..
C. they would need evidence of being inoculated against typhoid fever and a visa and landing card
- no parallelism at all.. multiple and's
D. they would each need a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever
- Perfect, no problem. They would each need 3 things...
E. they would need visas, landing cards, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever for each of them.
- plurals mixed with singular, for each of them...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a visa, a land [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
DeepanshuGupta wrote:
I am able to eliminate all the options except (D). So it is the answer that I got with the help of elimination. But I just have one concern - (d) also misses on parallelism part. The right order on parallelism should be -
they would each need a visa, a landing card, and an evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever

Please tell me what am I doing wrong?

Hi Deepanshu, you are overdoing parallelism :) .

Basically, presence of absence of "articles" (a/an/the) does not affect parallelism in any way.

"a visa", "a landing card" and "evidence..." are all noun-phrases and hence parallel.

In other words, when thinking about parallelism, do not look for "word-on-word" parallelism.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this aspect of parallelism. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Parallelism.pdf [535.8 KiB]
Downloaded 76 times

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
up4gmat wrote:
Hi mike,
I have a query.
As the sentence initially uses passive voice(were told),we still would try to work on active voice for rest of sentence?

Dear up4gmat,
There's no rule that one has to be "passive-consistent" throughout a sentence. In general, switching from active to passive makes the sentence shorter, more direct, and more powerful. We can't do anything about the part before the underlining ---- might we be able to write an even better sentence if we were able to rewrite that part as well? Perhaps, but that's never our concern on SC. On GMAT SC, we are trying to make the underlined part as good as it can be, given the five choices. Given that we get some say about this underlined part, we would opt for active over passive, all other things being equal.
If there were a single subject, and two verbs in parallel, obviously if the first verb were passive, then the second would have to passive. Here, though, we have a completely different subject & verb inside the "that" clause, and that's where the underlined is. Make it active. Does all this make sense?
mal208213 wrote:
Hi Mike,
I also ruled out option E but that was because of the usage of plurals - visas , landing cards whereas this is clearly not used in any other option. Is this correct?

Dear mal208213,
No, that's not correct. Just because one answer differs from the other four doesn't automatically mean that it's wrong. The GMAT loves to pepper the answer choices with different versions of grammatically correct ways to say the same thing, because they know GMAT test takers will treat these as "splits" and eliminate things that shouldn't be eliminated.
In this sentence, we could say:
... they would each need a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever.
or
... they would need visas, landing cards, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever for each of them.
Two perfectly valid ways to say the same thing. The word "each" is a magical word that renders a plural group singular, treating the group one member at a time, so that it justifies a singular verb and singular objects.
My seven friends all have new cars.
Each of my seven friends has a new car.
Again, two completely valid ways to say the same thing, even though one has a plural subject, plural verb, and plural object, and the other has a singular subject, singular verb, and singular object.
One of the biggest traps on the GMAT SC is falling for --- if these answers are different for those answer, one must be right, and one must be wrong. Difference, by itself, does not constitute a valid split. Be very careful with this.
Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
amritakeswani wrote:
GMATNinja
I read your article aroun usage of "being". I didn't reject option B in this question because of "being" and kept it conservatively. But I did reject "D" because there was no clarity of whose inoculation we are talking about. It looks like my lack of clarity is not valid for option D. But am I right if I didn't reject B because of "being"?

It might be helpful to ask yourself two questions when it comes to evaluating "being." First, is the construction logical? And second, would I lose anything if I simply cut the word?

When I see the phrase "evidence of their being" in (B), my first thought is "evidence that they exist?" That doesn't make any sense -- travelers are pretty conspicuous. :)

If I reread it, I can figure out what the author means, but it's certainly less than ideal. "Being inoculated," makes it sound as though this is an ongoing process that may well be happening during the orientation meeting. So the meaning is questionable, at best.

Next, I'll ask myself if I lose anything if we cut "being." It would be tough to argue that "evidence of their being inoculated" is any clearer or more logical than "evidence of inoculation," which we have in option (D).

Taken together, "being" creates a confusing meaning, and it's unnecessary. Is it a definitive grammatical error? Not really. But is it inferior to (D), which is clearer and more concise? Absolutely. So (D) wins.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
B & C are out because of 'being'; E uses plural

D is my answer
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sarthak2709 wrote:
I have read that in the list of items if an item is preceded by an article, then all items should. for ex:- a X, a Y and a Z or else a X , Y or Z. Please clarify my doubt. Thanks in advance

The rule you have in mind typically applies to the use of prepositions or helping verbs, not articles. For example, you could write, "I enjoy stuffing my face with tacos, with cupcakes, and with bhindi masala." Or one could write, "I enjoy stuffing my face with tacos, cupcakes, and bhindi masala." (Helpful warning derived from personal experience: if you're going to stuff your face with these foods, please do not do so in that order.)

However, articles are a different story, because certain words can't logically be preceded by them. For example, "The Lakers signed a shooting guard, a small forward, and Lebron James." We can't write "a Lebron James!" The world would be a funny place if you could mass produce Lebron James and every team could have one. (My Warriors, of course, would still clobber everybody. A lineup of Curry, Thompson, Green, Durant, and Lebron James's clone? Epic!)

I hope that helps!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Dear GMATGuruNY AjiteshArun MartyTargetTestPrep,

Is A. wrong just because of a less preferred passive structure?

Are there any other solid issues with A.?

There are times when the passive voice is better than and times when it is not as good as the active voice.

In this case, the use of the passive voice results in the emphasis of the sentence illogically being placed on the needed items, as if the main point is not that the travelers would need the items but rather that the items would be needed, and as if the point to be made to the travelers is mainly one about the items rather than one about how they should prepare for the trip.

Thus, the active voice version, (D), makes more sense than (A) makes, because it places the emphasis where it would most logically be placed, on the travelers and what they will need.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
Dear MartyTargetTestPrep,

I have one little question on E.

(E) they would need visas, landing cards, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever for each of them

"each of them" modifies the action of the clause "would need", not the noun "typhoid fever" right?

So E. is wrong because of plural "visas" and "landing cards" right?
Since "for each of them" dictates the use of singular noun.

Yes, the use of plural nouns there doesn't make sense.

Also, "each of them" is a bit funny too. "They will need x for each of them." Does each one need x for each of the others?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 121
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja
I read your article aroun usage of "being". I didn't reject option B in this question because of "being" and kept it conservatively. But I did reject "D" because there was no clarity of whose inoculation we are talking about. It looks like my lack of clarity is not valid for option D. But am I right if I didn't reject B because of "being"?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pan1pan2 wrote:
daagh

You mentioned in this post that each can be used as noun or adjective

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-acoma-an ... 78995.html

Could you explain how each work in answer choice D

Hello pan1pan2,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, here "each" acts as an adjective modifying the pronoun "they".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
At an orientation meeting, the travelers were told that a visa, a land [#permalink]
Kudos
DeepanshuGupta wrote:
I am able to eliminate all the options except (D). So it is the answer that I got with the help of elimination. But I just have one concern - (d) also misses on parallelism part. The right order on parallelism should be -
they would each need a visa, a landing card, and an evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever

Please tell me what am I doing wrong?

There is evidence. (Looks good)
There is an evidence. (Yikes)

Using AN with evidence doesn't "work", if you wanted to check it out this way.

Consider thinking of this more like a list of nouns.

...they would each need
-a visa
-a landing card
-evidence

Worth noting you can't use some of these nouns without an A. You can't say, for example: He has landing card. You would say: He has A landing card. Checking out some of the other Sentence Corrections that have similar "lists" could be helpful to see how the GMAT tests this concept.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shubhamahuja wrote:
how is parallelism justified here?, Shouldn't it be "a visa, a landing card, an evidence of..."

Don't look for word on word parallelism Shubham.

The absence of an before "evidence" does not make the overall structure any less parallel, since all three are still noun-phrases.

In any case, the following does make sense, doesn't it?

...they would each need evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
D it is.

A is out. "Each of them" is unnecessary.
B is out. "their being innoculated" is grammatically incorrect
C is out. The list of items lacks parallelism
E is out. "Each of them" is unnecessary.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Send PM
A is out. Bad sentence phrasing.
B is out. 'their being innoculated' is bad English
C is awkward as well
D is the best. 'each need a.....'
E suggests they need many visa/landing cards which is absurd.

D for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
IMO, D is the correct answer.

They would each need 3 items.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
D. they would each need a visa, a landing card, and evidence of inoculation against typhoid fever

they would each need a x,a y,and z: a visa(noun phrase) , a landing card(noun phrase) and evidence(noun) are parallel in structure.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 584 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
one more vote for D.

I consider E wrong because 'for each of them' is redundant.

For each of them also says that each of travelers need multiple visas and landing cards.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts