Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619142 [5]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31942 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [1]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the rati [#permalink]
Kudos
At the beginning of the day: number of dogs/number of cats = 5x/3x (x is a positive integer)

(1) The store sold 2 dogs that day.

--> At the end of the day: dogs/cats = (5x-2)/3x

Depending on particular values of x, we will get different ratios. For example:
x = 1 --> dogs/cats = 3/3
x = 2 --> dogs/cats = 8/6
Inconsistent answer => Insufficient statement

ELIMINATE (A) and (D). KEEP (B), (C) and (E)

(2) The store sold 1/3 of its cats that day.

--> The number of cats sold: (1/3)3x = x
--> At the end of the day: dogs/cats = 5x/(3x-x) = 5x/2x = 5/2
For whatever values of x, we always get sufficient answers => Sufficient statement

(B) IS CORRECT!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the rati [#permalink]
Kudos
Lucy Phuong wrote:
At the beginning of the day: number of dogs/number of cats = 5x/3x (x is a positive integer)

For whatever values of x, we always get sufficient answers => Sufficient statement

(B) IS CORRECT!

Hi.
In statement 2 there is no information regarding number of dogs sold... So B is insufficient.
I think E should be answer.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
Re: At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the rati [#permalink]
kedarsharma wrote:
Lucy Phuong wrote:

(B) IS CORRECT!

Hi.
In statement 2 there is no information regarding number of dogs sold... So B is insufficient.
I think E should be answer.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Hi,

IMHO, your doubt could be justified to some extend. I will be inclined towards your line of thoughts IF the statement is written this way "2 dogs are sold that day". Reading that sentence, I will definitely question - how about cats? Is there any cat sold?

However, if the statement says "The store sold 2 dogs and no cats that day", I'll find the added "and no cats" unnecessary. That's why even when I reread the question, I still choose to think the same way as I did in my previous post.

Having said that, I think we shouldn't worry about this much because this question doesn't seems to be a GMAT-like one. Unless you are totally fresh in GMAT and have just practiced very few official question, you may agree with me that you've never ever faced the same issue, right?

Just my personal sharing. Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [1]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
Lucy Phuong wrote:

(B) IS CORRECT!

Lucy first of All statement B only tells us about cats and no other information about dogs so yes this information is incomplete
Taking together two statements, one cant find the right answer why? because everything depends on the value of x and when x changes, the value of ratio changes
we have 5x/3x initially
statement 1 says that 2 dogs were sold so 5x will become 5x-2
statement 2 says 1/3 cats were sold so we can write this as 1/3(3x) = x
now combine the above two and u will get 5x-2/x-----> whenever u will change the value of x, you will get a new ratio
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the rati [#permalink]
sananoor wrote:
Lucy first of All statement B only tells us about cats and no other information about dogs so yes this information is incomplete
Taking together two statements, one cant find the right answer why? because everything depends on the value of x and when x changes, the value of ratio changes
we have 5x/3x initially
statement 1 says that 2 dogs were sold so 5x will become 5x-2
statement 2 says 1/3 cats were sold so we can write this as 1/3(3x) = x
now combine the above two and u will get 5x-2/x-----> whenever u will change the value of x, you will get a new ratio

Hi saranoor,

Thanks for your response.

As I said in my latest post, I understand why (E) could be the answer. The key point leading to different answers lies on different ways of interpretation of the provided statements. If the statement is written the other way as I suggested above, I will definitely mark choice (E). Please read my previous post responding to another one for more information. Thanks.

It's all about my personal thought. I could be right, I could be wrong also. At the end of the day, this question is, to me, not like a GMAT question, and as expert GMATNinja advised, let's spend our precious time discussing official questions instead.

If OA is E, I will take the experience and move on.

p/s: I remember we talked on chat box yesterday... thanks for your interesting questions... will join again when I have time :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi pranayeekarmakar,

When posting Quant and Verbal questions, you should make sure to post them in the proper sub-forum. For example, the DS sub-forum can be found here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/data-sufficiency-ds-141/

Here's a hint so that you can reattempt this question on your own: based on the given information, the STARTING ratio of dogs to cats was 5:3. This means that the initial number of dogs MUST be a multiple of 5 and the initial number of cats MUST be an equivalent multiple of 3. For example:

5 dogs and 3 cats
10 dogs and 6 cats
15 dogs and 9 cats
Etc.

Based on the information in the two Facts, with the answer to this question change based on the starting number of animals, or will it stay the same?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5206 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the [#permalink]
pranayeekarmakar wrote:
At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the ratio of 5 to 3. If no new animals were added to the store and the only animals that left were those that were sold, what was the ratio of dogs to cats at the end of the day?

(2) The store sold \(\frac{1}{3}\) of its cats that day.

Hi pranayeekarmakar

From the question stem, we are able to figure out that for every 5x dogs, we will have 3x cats.

1. This statement has no information about the cats. A total of 2 dogs are sold (Insufficient)

2. This statement has no information about the dogs We are told that \(\frac{1}{3}\)rd of the dogs are sold.
In the end, we would be left have \(\frac{2}{3}*3x = 2x\) dogs. (Insufficient)

When we combine the information present in both the statements, we can't arrive at a
unique ratio of the cats and dogs at the end of the day(after the cats and dogs are sold
because we don't know the initial number of cats and dogs in the store (Insufficient - Option E)

P.S Have moved your question to the appropriate forum.
These are the RULES which you need to follow while posting questions.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619142 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
pranayeekarmakar wrote:
At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the ratio of 5 to 3. If no new animals were added to the store and the only animals that left were those that were sold, what was the ratio of dogs to cats at the end of the day?

(2) The store sold \(\frac{1}{3}\) of its cats that day.

Merging topics.

Please follow the rules when posting a question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-po ... 33935.html Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

We are looking at a ratio. So it could be any numbers in that ratio.
For getting new ratio, most of the time it requires some numeric value to it.

Let's see the statements

1) store sold 2 dogs that day.
But we do not the numeric values of dog and cat
Insuff
2)store sold 1/3 cats.
Again no numeric value
Insufficient

Combined..
Nothing much on NUMERIC value..
Ratio is 5x-2:2x....
Insuff

E

The problem with (2) is not that it does not give a numerical value, remember that it is a ratio, the problem is that it does not give you any info about the dogs, if dogs were to remain constant this statement would be sufficient...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
brunel chetan2u

Hi Brunel,

As per the second statement, 1/3 of the cats were sold. So remaining cats should be 2/3. Now it is given that number of cats were 3x. So 2x cats remained at the end of the days. And since no dogs were sold, So dogs should be 5x.

So the ratio should be 5x:2x. Sufficient.

Please let me know where I am going wrong.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31942 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
ronnieshee wrote:
brunel chetan2u

Hi Brunel,

As per the second statement, 1/3 of the cats were sold. So remaining cats should be 2/3. Now it is given that number of cats were 3x. So 2x cats remained at the end of the days. And since no dogs were sold, So dogs should be 5x.

So the ratio should be 5x:2x. Sufficient.

Please let me know where I am going wrong.

We do not know anything about number of dogs sold..
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92929 posts