GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 18:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the rati

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the rati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 04:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:11) correct 44% (01:07) wrong based on 200 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the ratio of 5 to 3. If no new animals were added to the store and the only animals that left were those that were sold, what was the ratio of dogs to cats at the end of the day?

(1) The store sold 2 dogs that day.

(2) The store sold 1/3 of its cats that day.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Math Expert
V
At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the rati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 04:33
Bunuel wrote:
At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the ratio of 5 to 3. If no new animals were added to the store and the only animals that left were those that were sold, what was the ratio of dogs to cats at the end of the day?

We are looking at a ratio. So it could be any numbers in that ratio.
For getting new ratio, most of the time it requires some numeric value to it or change in ratio for both .

Let's see the statements

1) store sold 2 dogs that day.
But we do not the numeric values of dog and cat or the ratios
Insuff
2)store sold 1/3 cats.
Again no numeric value for both and no info on change in ratio of dog
Insufficient

Combined..
Nothing much on NUMERIC value..
Ratio is 5x-2:2x....
Insuff

E

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 09:27
Bunuel wrote:

If no new animals were added to the store and the only animals that left were those that were sold, what was the ratio of dogs to cats at the end of the day?

This sentence is a little confusing, but shouldn't it be the following. "The only animals that were left were those that were NOT sold?"

With regards to the question.

Old Ratio
D:C = 5:3 => D = 5x and C = 3x

New Ratio
D:C =?

1) 2 dogs sold that day
If x = 1, then D = 5 and C = 3
2 dogs sold, so the new ratio D : C = 3 : 3
If x = 2, then D = 10 and C = 6
2 dogs sold, so the new ratio D : C = 8 : 6

Inconsistent answers. Insufficient.

2) (1/3) of total cats were sold.
If x = 1, then D = 5 and C = 3
(1/3) of 3 = 1, so the new ratio D : C = 5 : 2
If x = 2, then D = 10 and C = 6
(1/3) of 6 = 2, so the new ratio D : C = 10 : 4
If x = 3, then D = 15 and C = 9
(1/3) of 9 = 3, so the new ratio D : C = 15 : 6

This is keeping the number of dogs constant. If even 1 dog is sold, the ratio changes.
Insufficient.

(1 + 2)
Same above.
x= 1 ; D = 5 , C = 3
New Ratio = 3:2

x = 2 : D = 10 , C = 6
New Ratio = 8 : 4

Insufficient.
Answer is E.

Edited Post.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 18:41
At the beginning of the day: number of dogs/number of cats = 5x/3x (x is a positive integer)

--> At the end of the day: dogs/cats = (5x-2)/3x

Depending on particular values of x, we will get different ratios. For example:
x = 1 --> dogs/cats = 3/3
x = 2 --> dogs/cats = 8/6
Inconsistent answer => Insufficient statement

ELIMINATE (A) and (D). KEEP (B), (C) and (E)

--> The number of cats sold: (1/3)3x = x
--> At the end of the day: dogs/cats = 5x/(3x-x) = 5x/2x = 5/2
For whatever values of x, we always get sufficient answers => Sufficient statement

(B) IS CORRECT!
Intern
Intern
B
Re: At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the rati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 20:33
Lucy Phuong wrote:
At the beginning of the day: number of dogs/number of cats = 5x/3x (x is a positive integer)

For whatever values of x, we always get sufficient answers => Sufficient statement

(B) IS CORRECT!

Hi.
In statement 2 there is no information regarding number of dogs sold... So B is insufficient.
I think E should be answer.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge
Re: At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the rati  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 21:42
kedarsharma wrote:
Lucy Phuong wrote:

(B) IS CORRECT!

Hi.
In statement 2 there is no information regarding number of dogs sold... So B is insufficient.
I think E should be answer.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Hi,

IMHO, your doubt could be justified to some extend. I will be inclined towards your line of thoughts IF the statement is written this way "2 dogs are sold that day". Reading that sentence, I will definitely question - how about cats? Is there any cat sold?

However, if the statement says "The store sold 2 dogs and no cats that day", I'll find the added "and no cats" unnecessary. That's why even when I reread the question, I still choose to think the same way as I did in my previous post.

Having said that, I think we shouldn't worry about this much because this question doesn't seems to be a GMAT-like one. Unless you are totally fresh in GMAT and have just practiced very few official question, you may agree with me that you've never ever faced the same issue, right?

Just my personal sharing. Hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 22:42
Lucy Phuong wrote:

(B) IS CORRECT!

Lucy first of All statement B only tells us about cats and no other information about dogs so yes this information is incomplete
Taking together two statements, one cant find the right answer why? because everything depends on the value of x and when x changes, the value of ratio changes
we have 5x/3x initially
statement 1 says that 2 dogs were sold so 5x will become 5x-2
statement 2 says 1/3 cats were sold so we can write this as 1/3(3x) = x
now combine the above two and u will get 5x-2/x-----> whenever u will change the value of x, you will get a new ratio

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 01:23
sananoor wrote:
Lucy first of All statement B only tells us about cats and no other information about dogs so yes this information is incomplete
Taking together two statements, one cant find the right answer why? because everything depends on the value of x and when x changes, the value of ratio changes
we have 5x/3x initially
statement 1 says that 2 dogs were sold so 5x will become 5x-2
statement 2 says 1/3 cats were sold so we can write this as 1/3(3x) = x
now combine the above two and u will get 5x-2/x-----> whenever u will change the value of x, you will get a new ratio

Hi saranoor,

Thanks for your response.

As I said in my latest post, I understand why (E) could be the answer. The key point leading to different answers lies on different ways of interpretation of the provided statements. If the statement is written the other way as I suggested above, I will definitely mark choice (E). Please read my previous post responding to another one for more information. Thanks.

It's all about my personal thought. I could be right, I could be wrong also. At the end of the day, this question is, to me, not like a GMAT question, and as expert GMATNinja advised, let's spend our precious time discussing official questions instead.

If OA is E, I will take the experience and move on.

p/s: I remember we talked on chat box yesterday... thanks for your interesting questions... will join again when I have time :)
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2018, 15:37
Hi pranayeekarmakar,

When posting Quant and Verbal questions, you should make sure to post them in the proper sub-forum. For example, the DS sub-forum can be found here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/data-sufficiency-ds-141/

Here's a hint so that you can reattempt this question on your own: based on the given information, the STARTING ratio of dogs to cats was 5:3. This means that the initial number of dogs MUST be a multiple of 5 and the initial number of cats MUST be an equivalent multiple of 3. For example:

5 dogs and 3 cats
10 dogs and 6 cats
15 dogs and 9 cats
Etc.

Based on the information in the two Facts, with the answer to this question change based on the starting number of animals, or will it stay the same?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 10:32
pranayeekarmakar wrote:

(2) The store sold \(\frac{1}{3}\) of its cats that day.

Hi pranayeekarmakar

From the question stem, we are able to figure out that for every 5x dogs, we will have 3x cats.

1. This statement has no information about the cats. A total of 2 dogs are sold (Insufficient)

2. This statement has no information about the dogs We are told that \(\frac{1}{3}\)rd of the dogs are sold.
In the end, we would be left have \(\frac{2}{3}*3x = 2x\) dogs. (Insufficient)

When we combine the information present in both the statements, we can't arrive at a
unique ratio of the cats and dogs at the end of the day(after the cats and dogs are sold
because we don't know the initial number of cats and dogs in the store (Insufficient - Option E)

P.S Have moved your question to the appropriate forum.
These are the RULES which you need to follow while posting questions.

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2018, 01:27
pranayeekarmakar wrote:

(2) The store sold \(\frac{1}{3}\) of its cats that day.

Merging topics.

Please follow the rules when posting a question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-po ... 33935.html Thank you.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 11:02
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

We are looking at a ratio. So it could be any numbers in that ratio.
For getting new ratio, most of the time it requires some numeric value to it.

Let's see the statements

1) store sold 2 dogs that day.
But we do not the numeric values of dog and cat
Insuff
2)store sold 1/3 cats.
Again no numeric value
Insufficient

Combined..
Nothing much on NUMERIC value..
Ratio is 5x-2:2x....
Insuff

E

The problem with (2) is not that it does not give a numerical value, remember that it is a ratio, the problem is that it does not give you any info about the dogs, if dogs were to remain constant this statement would be sufficient...
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 19:40
brunel chetan2u

Hi Brunel,

As per the second statement, 1/3 of the cats were sold. So remaining cats should be 2/3. Now it is given that number of cats were 3x. So 2x cats remained at the end of the days. And since no dogs were sold, So dogs should be 5x.

So the ratio should be 5x:2x. Sufficient.

Please let me know where I am going wrong.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 00:52
ronnieshee wrote:
brunel chetan2u

Hi Brunel,

As per the second statement, 1/3 of the cats were sold. So remaining cats should be 2/3. Now it is given that number of cats were 3x. So 2x cats remained at the end of the days. And since no dogs were sold, So dogs should be 5x.

So the ratio should be 5x:2x. Sufficient.

Please let me know where I am going wrong.

We do not know anything about number of dogs sold..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

GMAT Club Bot
Re: At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the rati &nbs [#permalink] 04 Nov 2018, 00:52

At the beginning of the day, a pet store had dogs and cats in the rati

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap