Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5742 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Biologists with a predilection for theory have tried—and largely faile [#permalink]

The last statement very specifically states that living things on earth are just a mere subset of all the living things in the universe. The final answer should also be on the similar lines and only 'Option E' fits the role.

Thanks,
Anurag
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Biologists with a predilection for theory have tried—and largely faile [#permalink]
I got this one wrong and reviewing it again, here's what I found
(E) what a mammal is by examining a zebra

What we consider something as a life form on Earth may NOT be the same life form on other planet.
Living thing on other planet :: Living things that we know

Living thing :: One species of living thing
Mammal :: Zebra (mammal we know BUT there are other mammals as well.)
Fish :: Piranha (fish we know BUT there are other fishes as well)
Machine :: Printing press (Machine we know BUT there are others)
Plant :: Elm trees (there are other plants as well)

Living thing on other planet :: Living things that we know (But there can be other types/forms of life on different planet)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Maybe I missed the point. I thought the key to completing the passage was found in the words "the only ones we know". i.e. Drawing conclusions about something even though we don't know everything.

It doesn't seem totally outrageous to explain mammals with zebras...zebras are ...mammals...

?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Biologists with a predilection for theory have tried—and largely faile [#permalink]
mSKR wrote:
Why can't C be correct?

(C) what an animal is by examining a plant

This is same as defining one form of life by examining other form of life.
We don't know how the life could be in other plants. ( example: in Titan, there is liquid which is not water but liquid methane. there are lakes. and who knows what kind of life it may have ( may not breath oxygen but could breath methane who knows?. Even in our stories, fiction, Aliens are not represented like humans on earth)
So by understanding the components of life i can derive one known life to another unknown life on other planets.

please suggest with this thought in mind how could i still choose E as the right answer. IN E i am assuming too simple which may or may not be valid in true sense.

The reason why C is not correct is because we are not trying to compare two different life forms. As per the para, the author is just analyzing one subset of a life-form and calling it as the main definition of the life-forms. There could be many other subsets with different definitions for life form.
Similarly, in option D:
One can not comprehend what mammals are just by analyzing one mammal(zebra)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
CEdward wrote:
Maybe I missed the point. I thought the key to completing the passage was found in the words "the only ones we know". i.e. Drawing conclusions about something even though we don't know everything.

It doesn't seem totally outrageous to explain mammals with zebras...zebras are ...mammals...

?

CEdward, Yeah zebras are mammals, but they are not the only mammals on the planet, are they? The initial stems is basically saying that you can't draw conclusions on "Living things" by simply studying the living things on earth as there maybe other living things on other planets. On similar lines, you can't conclude stuff abbout mammals by simply studying a type of mammal (zebra)

Also, we're not really looking for what is sensible or outrageous, but rather what is analogous to the question. Hope this helps!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [4]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning starts at 18:33
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Biologists with a predilection for theory have tried—and largely faile [#permalink]
Robert wrote:
Biologists with a predilection for theory have tried—and largely failed—to define what it is that makes something a living thing. Organisms take in energy-providing materials and excrete waste products, but so do automobiles. Living things replicate and take part in evolution, but so do some computer programs. We must be open to the possibility that there are living things on other planets. Therefore, we will not be successful in defining what it is that makes something a living thing merely by examining living things on Earth—the only ones we know. Trying to do so is analogous to trying to specify _______.

(D) what a machine is by examining a sketch of it

avigutman wrote:

Hi avigutman - Just saw your youtube solution to the problem.

Just focussing on the conclusion specifically in blue for this problem

One word threw me off completely and that word is "THEREFORE". Reason :

While I agree the conclusion in the blue by itself is talking about an issue of representativeness. I did not believe the earlier problems discussed (automobiles / computer programs) specifically have anything to do with an issue of representativeness specifically.

Why do you think the word "THEREFORE" exists when the earlier problems discussed have nothing to do with an issue of representatives ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Robert wrote:
Biologists with a predilection for theory have tried—and largely failed—to define what it is that makes something a living thing. Organisms take in energy-providing materials and excrete waste products, but so do automobiles. Living things replicate and take part in evolution, but so do some computer programs. We must be open to the possibility that there are living things on other planets. Therefore, we will not be successful in defining what it is that makes something a living thing merely by examining living things on Earth—the only ones we know. Trying to do so is analogous to trying to specify _______.

avigutman wrote:

While I agree the conclusion in the blue by itself is talking about an issue of representativeness. I did not believe the earlier problems discussed (automobiles / computer programs) specifically have anything to do with an issue of representativeness specifically.

Why do you think the word "THEREFORE" exists when the earlier problems discussed have nothing to do with an issue of representatives ?

jabhatta2 in this case, we're not looking at an argument; we're looking at a passage (note the language in the question stem).
You're right that typically, in an argument, the word "therefore" should build off of all the premises as it leads into the conclusion.
However, since this is a passage, the word "therefore" need only connect the preceding sentence.
Does that clear your doubt?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
Robert wrote:

jabhatta2 in this case, we're not looking at an argument; we're looking at a passage (note the language in the question stem).
You're right that typically, in an argument, the word "therefore" should build off of all the premises as it leads into the conclusion.
However, since this is a passage, the word "therefore" need only connect the preceding sentence.
Does that clear your doubt?

Yes - your saying -- the word "therefore" is just a connector to the previous sentence [We must be open to the possibility that there are living things on other planets] and not necessarily derived from the sentences before.

Reason - it's not really an argument but like a RC passage.

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM

Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

P : what we know < what we have to define
(Both need to be in same category though)

(A) the laws of physics by using pure mathematics
-> physics and mathematics are not is the same category.

(B) what a fish is by listing its chemical components
-> Same as A

-> Same as A

-> Same as A

-> Correct, zebra is kind of mammal and the scope zebra < mammal which is analogous to our conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Re: Biologists with a predilection for theory have triedand largely faile [#permalink]
Dear Experts,

I narrowed down to (B) and (E) but I don't know why (B) is incorrect.
Here are the logic why I cannot cross (B) out :
According to this sentences :
Organisms take in energy-providing materials and excrete waste products, but so do automobiles. Living things replicate and take part in evolution, but so do some computer programs, the author provides mechanic and component of living things (organisms, replication, evolution). Thus, (B) does the same thing : fish and its components.

Could you pls help elaborate why (B) is wrong

PS. I understand that choice (E) does match the last 3 sentences in the question.
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: Biologists with a predilection for theory have triedand largely faile [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
Dear Experts,

I narrowed down to (B) and (E) but I don't know why (B) is incorrect.
Here are the logic why I cannot cross (B) out :
According to this sentences :
Organisms take in energy-providing materials and excrete waste products, but so do automobiles. Living things replicate and take part in evolution, but so do some computer programs, the author provides mechanic and component of living things (organisms, replication, evolution). Thus, (B) does the same thing : fish and its components.

Could you pls help elaborate why (B) is wrong

PS. I understand that choice (E) does match the last 3 sentences in the question.

The passage's conclusion is strictly focused on the analogy given at the end. Therefore, you only need the last two sentences, which explain the analogy completely.
We will not be successful in defining what it is that makes something a living thing merely by examining living things on Earth—the only ones we know. Trying to do so is analogous to trying to specify _______.

What's the problem here?
The issue lie in trying to define a MORE GENERAL class of things from information about only a small fraction of those things.
We want the answer choice that has the same issue.

B:
Chemical components are not an example of a fish, so, this choice doesn't work like the other half of the analogy. Eliminate.

E:
Zebras, by themselves, are only a tiny fraction of all mammals. So, trying to define mammals in general from information only about zebras is going to be problematic in the same way as the other part of the analogy. This answer is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.74
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

(A) the laws of physics by using pure mathematics

NEW question from GMAT® Official Guide 2019

(CR07810)

Can you share links to questions like these (Analogous comparisons/relations)?

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
@GMATNinja @egmat
Could you please help me with this question.

After reading the forum discussion, I understand how it is E.
But I felt the reasoning in the question is more subjective and open to interpreatations. The premise said living beings do some processes, which automobiles also do, or evolve which computer programs also do. This reasoning is not enough to classify anything as living/non-living.

When I marked B, my reasoning was: merely looking at chemical components of a fish shouldn't be enough to call it a fish, other organisms or say mixtures could have same chemical components.

I found this strongly analogous to the premise.

To be honest, the specific generic reasoning didn't strike me and I was able to rule out E with ease.

Thanks for your time and efforts.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
singhall

What you're missing is the part about the conclusion itself. The author isn't just saying "We can't say what a living being is from these traits." They are saying specifically that we can't generalize about life from the one example we know--life on Earth. So we want an analogy to making a broad statement about ALL instances of something from ONE set of instances of that thing. That's where E works and B fails. B might be an incomplete way of describing something, but it isn't making the same leap that the conclusion describes: from the cases we know to all cases.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts