Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 16:17 It is currently 14 May 2024, 16:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5149 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11682 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: BOMBED THE GMAT AGAIN!! [#permalink]
Quote:
Hi AmanAngrish.

It's definitely a drag to have such a disappointing test experience, but on the bright side, much of what resulted in your scoring below your goal was your frame of mind. So, it seems likely that, just by becoming better at handling the test experience itself, you'll increase your score to close to your goal score. So, in a way, you're closer to your goal than your score on that GMAT indicates.

Regarding increasing your verbal score, I think you can get from the following posts some key ideas that you can use to score much higher on verbal next time you take the GMAT.

Hey Marty!

Thanks for the morale boost and reference links. Will go through them.
Will be sharing my ESR as well. Can you please provide your insights on the same?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
Hi AmanAngrish,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. It's also worth noting that many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you studied for just 1.5 months, then it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort to score higher yet. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
2) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hey Rich
Thanks for such a detailed post. I will try to answer all the points so that you can gauge my situation in a better way!

I gave my first attempt in Aug'19. Since then it was an on-off scenario wherein I used to take timeout of work for my studies. From Jul'22 onwards I had been grinding an average of 10-12 hours a week for GMAT. From Oct to mid November I had to halt my preparations as I was going through some mental battles on my own. Still I stuck to 1 mock a week routine and was using 3P mocks for keeping the momentum with me. I took 2.5 weeks off from work before my GMAT date and believed that it was sufficient to provide the last push for my target score.

Coming to specific questions from your end:
Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used? : I have gone through a plethora of resources ranging from text guides such as OG, Manhattan guides, GC Books(for Quant and Verbal) to online training modules from TTP (Big shout out to MartyTargetTestPrep and ScottTargetTestPrep for helping me get a 15day paid version instead of the usual ones). Apart from these I also utilized GC expert videos on YouTube for practice and concept building.
2) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)? - I utilized Experts Global mocks for my practice. Will be attaching the snippet below with the individual Quant and Verbal scores. I also had access to GMATClub Tests and used it exclusively for Verbal sections(found the Quant ones extremely tough!)

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?: I am targeting at least 750.
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?: I am planning to apply in R1-23 specifically to M-7 or T-10 schools(Today, alas, it seems a distant dream). I just want to get done with my GMAT as soon as possible so that I can start working on my essays and applications from March itself.

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you. Attaching ESR for your reference

Hope to gain some insights and plan of action on how to proceed further. I am planning to give GMAT another go in the next 30-45 days but will require proper guidance and a structured frame of mind for the exam.
Attachments

File comment: Experts Global Mock scores
MockScores.docx [158.81 KiB]
Downloaded 37 times

File comment: ESR
ESR_AmanAngrish.docx [645.69 KiB]
Downloaded 31 times

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1311 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
BOMBED THE GMAT AGAIN!! [#permalink]
Kudos
On Verbal, consider using time markers for time management.

Quote:
I am planning to give GMAT another go in the next 30-45 days

Here's a 6-hr student I had who went from a V31 to a V40 in about 30 days. They mention a variety of resources and tips you may be able to quickly leverage.

All the best on your next attempt. Some CR video tips on the gmatknight website you may find helpful as well.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1808 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
AmanAngrish wrote:
Hi Everyone

2022 has not been a good year, but I wanted to end the year on a positive note by at least finishing off with GMAT. I had already started my preparations since Mid November and booked GMAT for 30th Dec. I had taken leave from my work and was averaging close to 10-12 hours a day for self study. With respect to mocks, I was consistently scoring between 690 and 720(Avg section scores: Q:48-50, V:35-39)and realized that with a little more effort I can touch my target score. On 26th Dec I wrote the official mock 1. I scored a Q50 but got an abysmally low verbal score of 29. During the verbal section, I kind of lost track of time and once I realized that I absolutely bombed the section. For the first 23 questions I got only 4 incorrect and in the last 13 questions I got 11 incorrect. I went into panic mode and started revisiting my verbal study materials and questions on GC. I dedicated the next couple of days solely for verbal. I did not even have the courage to sit for the second official mock as I felt that my practice may not be upto the mark. On the test day I brought this panic along with me to the test center. However much I tried, I just couldn't gather my nerves for the exam. I wanted to attempt verbal at first and wanted to get it off my way before I started quant. I had to hurry at the end of the verbal section(around the last quarter) and that kind of brought back the panic that I had screwed up with my verbal section again. I took my timed breaks, but subconsciously that below par performance kept hovering on my mind and I had a average performance in quant as well. Final split was Q:47 V:30 which has kind of devastated me.
I dont want to give up but I am not sure what changes do I need to initiate now. I have gone through a lot of verbal materials but now I am 100% confident that my verbal skills are not up to the GMAT standard. And I am not sure how to improve them. I am not inclined to get a course from any of the providers as I have already taken that road once. A tutor perhaps? But my work timings are very dynamic and I don't know how will I manage/afford that.

Requesting help/suggestion from everyone.

P.S Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year in advance. May this new year brings all the love and prosperity that you seek.

Hi AmanAngrish

I know it can be disappointing to not reach your target score after months of preparation. However, don't lose heart. If you prepare in a structured manner with consistent efforts guided in the right direction, you'll be there.

Time management is one of the most important skills for competitive exams that most students struggle with. There is a significant penalty for failing to complete any section of the GMAT exam, so it is also important to develop pacing skills. Once you hone your time management skills strategically by learning the right methodologies, you will be confident about not missing out on any questions on the test day.

The possible reason for struggling with time management:

One of the possible reasons could be nervousness or anxiety during the test and the fear of not being able to solve the questions within time. This ultimately must have demotivated you and slowed you down.

You are likely taking more time to solve RC questions. The reason for this might be you are taking too long to read a passage or you might be going back and forth to the passage for every question. This happens when you don’t use the right reading strategies. Students often read the passage from a detail perspective and stuff themselves with the details. And once they come across an inferential question or a main point question, they cannot answer it and they read the passage again to find the answer. This would often lead to the wastage of time.

While in case of SC, the reason could be -not having conceptually clear knowledge about how to approach SC problems thereby leading to confusion in eliminating the incorrect choices. You have to read the sentence from the meaning standpoint and then start looking at the grammatical errors and eliminate the incorrect choices.

There may be other reasons which you can share briefly to help me understand better

Important Tip – Don’t practice tons of questions directly. First focus on learning the right methods for each question. That plays a significant role in getting hard questions correct within 2 mins.

In case of Verbal:
• For SC – Follow the meaning based approach.
• For CR – Focus on Scope Analysis and Framework driven Pre-thinking.
• For RC – Involve yourself in the passage and understand why the passage is written and not just on what’s written.

Having said this, I would like to know what is the approach you followed during the test so that I can suggest you a more structured plan. As you have an ESR, I can definitely help you in analyzing it. We can get in touch over a zoom conference call and we can analyze it together. This way we can figure out what exactly your weak areas are and then make a plan of action. Considering the effort you have put, I would really like to know the concerns and help you improve your score. Feel free to reach out to me on DM for further discussion.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11682 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi AmanAngrish,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMAT Club Bot