Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 19:45 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 19:45
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1607 [4]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1827 [1]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 499 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 2: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 3: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 4: 650 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Re: Buddy's Bolt Barn supplies fasteners—nuts [#permalink]
Kudos
Let's relate the given scenario in the passage to the real world.

So there is one company named BBB.It is primarily the one and only major supplier of fasteners to manufacturers in the local town/city. Now, the local customers of BBB have closed down/ are closing down,so the author concludes BBB will lose on its sales volume for next year.

If I see clearly and read properly, I can see that there is no mention of customers of BBB outside it's city. I can surely imagine in my mind that such a loss in sales volume might not happen if BBB finds new and better customers outside the town. Also, what if they buy even more fasteners. The volume of new sales might compensate for those not bought by local customers.

For now, I can only find this flaw in author's logic.
Let's see options :

1. This option means that BBB's customers have taken oven each other's businesses. One has grown at the expense of the other. The manufacturer which closes down will not buy anymore from BBB. But what about the other customer? Will he not be needing more or atleast equal number of fasteners that the other company was asking from BBB. Logically , this option indicates that net sales of fasteners will not be reducing for BBB. So this weakens the author's conclusion. A possible correct choice.

2. This option tells that customer for BBB's customer has reduced it's operations. It essentially adds weight to the fact that the sales of BBB customers will reduce. This in turn will reduce sales of BBB. Strengthens the conclusion. Incorrect choice.

3. Let's say these local manufacturers are customers of BBB. Then why are they buying from National seller. Do they find cost of BBB fastener more ? or do they dislike the quality ?
In any case, it indicates that BBB sales will reduce. Strengthens the conclusion. Incorrect choice.
Now assuming these manufacturers are not BBB customers. They are buying from National wholeseller. It doesn't impact the sales of BBB. The given situation and author's conclusion will stand as it is.
So incorrect choice.

4. BBB carries large inventory. But how does this impact the conclusion. The situation given in the passage remains the same anyways.BBB holds less inventory or large. It's not going to sell more in either case. This option doesnt impact the conclusion. So incorrect choice.

5.This option has stated against what I was using as my weapon against the author. It has stated that BBB has no customer apart from local manufacturers.So it only adds weight to author's conclusion and takes the weight away from my reasoning. So incorrect choice.

Correct answer : A

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 876 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Buddy's Bolt Barn supplies fastenersnuts [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Buddy's Bolt Barn supplies fastenersnuts [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
7048 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
234 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts