Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Fuqua 2013 (admitted w/ $)
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
No calls about scholarship, guess I won't be getting any... Do you think it matters if you accepted the offer right away (I accepted on the day the decision was announced)?

And if someone was offered scholarship but then goes to another school, what happens to that money? goes to someone in the 3rd round?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q47  V44
WE 1: 4 years management strategy in defense sector
Send PM
kjm3492 wrote:
MBAFingersCrossed wrote:
Hey so I've posted about this a while back but since it's the season I wanted to put it out there again. I am a first year student at Fuqua who applied in the second round and was admitted off of the wait list. For those of you on the wait list at Duke and otherwise, I'm happy to share my experiences and any advice that you may find helpful. Briefly, after hearing that I was on the wait list I took action to strengthen my candidacy and I encourage all of you to consider doing the same. First I responded with an a one page and concise email reiterating my interest in Fuqua, my determination to accept if admitted, and providing what were substantive and sincere updates to my candidacy profile. The key words here are substantive and sincere. Since submitting my application I had been promoted and received a commensurate raise. I had also achieved some notable milestones in a non-profit that I had founded and shared those details as well. I also began taking steps to further strengthen my candidacy: for me this meant resuming studying for the GMAT which I was confident I could raise by 20-40 points and looking into some business courses I could take to demonstrate my business intellect and ability to succeed in MBA courses (Columbia has some good online ones). Eventually, I was admitted to Duke in late June of last year. I can tell you I have classmates who were admitted in July as well, it's not a myth. I think success off the wait list is based on candidates taking steps to confirm interest in attendance, demonstrating their continued success and honestly reflecting on the weaknesses in their application with an intention of taking steps to address them.

All of you on the wait list will not be admitted but the question you ought to be asking yourself is how will you be a stronger candidate not only over the summer but next fall in order to change the outcome.

FingersCrossed-- thanks for taking the time to help us out here. I'm a first time poster and was waitlisted this week at Fuqua. A few questions for you:

1) When you were on the waitlist, did you ever get an idea of statistics related to being on the WL (ie how many students were on the waitlist, what % historically get accepted)?
2) Timeframe--to your knowledge, did most R2 WLers hear in the summer?
3) How many updates did you send admissions while on the WL?

1) You will never know how many people are on the list or where you sit. Last year they dropped some people off of the list in May I think and asked those remaining if they wished to remain on the list with the understanding that they could be admitted at any point.
2) Movement off of the wait list, based on my understanding, occurs with each admission round and then as admitted students opt not to matriculate beyond the target class size. So look for movement following the blue devil weekend and as peer schools have their deposits due.
3) I sent two updates. I could have sent more but I concentrated my material to make each letter as impactful as possible. More is not necessarily better, these people don't want to be burdened with a million little updates. That being said, if something big changes (i.e. promotion, new GMAT, nobel prize, etc.) let them know because the clock is ticking and the wait list churning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
MBAFingersCrossed wrote:
kjm3492 wrote:
MBAFingersCrossed wrote:
Hey so I've posted about this a while back but since it's the season I wanted to put it out there again. I am a first year student at Fuqua who applied in the second round and was admitted off of the wait list. For those of you on the wait list at Duke and otherwise, I'm happy to share my experiences and any advice that you may find helpful. Briefly, after hearing that I was on the wait list I took action to strengthen my candidacy and I encourage all of you to consider doing the same. First I responded with an a one page and concise email reiterating my interest in Fuqua, my determination to accept if admitted, and providing what were substantive and sincere updates to my candidacy profile. The key words here are substantive and sincere. Since submitting my application I had been promoted and received a commensurate raise. I had also achieved some notable milestones in a non-profit that I had founded and shared those details as well. I also began taking steps to further strengthen my candidacy: for me this meant resuming studying for the GMAT which I was confident I could raise by 20-40 points and looking into some business courses I could take to demonstrate my business intellect and ability to succeed in MBA courses (Columbia has some good online ones). Eventually, I was admitted to Duke in late June of last year. I can tell you I have classmates who were admitted in July as well, it's not a myth. I think success off the wait list is based on candidates taking steps to confirm interest in attendance, demonstrating their continued success and honestly reflecting on the weaknesses in their application with an intention of taking steps to address them.

All of you on the wait list will not be admitted but the question you ought to be asking yourself is how will you be a stronger candidate not only over the summer but next fall in order to change the outcome.

FingersCrossed-- thanks for taking the time to help us out here. I'm a first time poster and was waitlisted this week at Fuqua. A few questions for you:

1) When you were on the waitlist, did you ever get an idea of statistics related to being on the WL (ie how many students were on the waitlist, what % historically get accepted)?
2) Timeframe--to your knowledge, did most R2 WLers hear in the summer?
3) How many updates did you send admissions while on the WL?

1) You will never know how many people are on the list or where you sit. Last year they dropped some people off of the list in May I think and asked those remaining if they wished to remain on the list with the understanding that they could be admitted at any point.
2) Movement off of the wait list, based on my understanding, occurs with each admission round and then as admitted students opt not to matriculate beyond the target class size. So look for movement following the blue devil weekend and as peer schools have their deposits due.
3) I sent two updates. I could have sent more but I concentrated my material to make each letter as impactful as possible. More is not necessarily better, these people don't want to be burdened with a million little updates. That being said, if something big changes (i.e. promotion, new GMAT, nobel prize, etc.) let them know because the clock is ticking and the wait list churning.

Along the same lines, I was wondering if you everyone you know who got off the waitlist really had some relevant updates to provide to admissions? I'm just thinking about people like me who A. have an entirely acceptable GMAT and B. haven't gotten promoted in the past 3 months. I can certainly give them an update on the smaller details of how I continue to kick ass and take names in the world of biotech, but I'm not expecting to get a new title anytime soon. So what sort of stuff is really worth their time?

I'll have to think about the online classes suggestion. Just given the amount of time required, that would seem to be the sort of thing you'd have to send to admissions well into the summer, unless you're already halfway done (which I'm not).

I know you don't know how exactly how large the waitlist is, but I'm curious to know how many previously waitlisted students you know of in your class?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
stormbringer wrote:
Question for admitted students (international) who have to complete the calculus requirement: Any idea where you are going to do it? Is it possible to do an online course or something?

Also, accomodation - I am not sure I will be able to make it to BDW. How does one go about securing accomodation from a distance? Would I be at a huge disadvantage if I went a week before 1 Aug to find a place?

Any thoughts on the matter are welcome!

I probably wouldn't feel comfortable waiting until August, but that is just me...also, do you need to be here for language institute? Because that starts mid-July. You will still find something, but it may be more expensive or further away/less desireable location.

Thanks so much, highhopes! :)
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
bkwrm24 wrote:
Any international students who heard about the aid yet? And at what point should I assume that if I haven't heard from them, I'm not getting anything?

Same question. I know Duke isn't big on calling people so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't call international students because of the time difference. Should we just wait till we get our letters? Or should we assume we're got getting a scholarship?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Wharton Class of 2013
GMAT 2: 720
Send PM
Is there a current Fuqua student on this site who is a part of the HSM program that wouldn't mind answering a few questions? I'm trying to decide between Fuqua's HSM and Wharton's HCM program. I received a call a couple of days ago awarding me a scholarship to Fuqua, which has complicated the whole decision! Please PM me. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
I think if you were awarded scholarship you would have received a call on mon,tues.
Looking back at old posts, it seems people who received aid heard via call from Duke (hopefully I am wrong, I am hoping I get some aid).

I wonder what happens to the money when someone who receives scholarship but withdraws from Duke...

stormbringer wrote:
bkwrm24 wrote:
Any international students who heard about the aid yet? And at what point should I assume that if I haven't heard from them, I'm not getting anything?

Same question. I know Duke isn't big on calling people so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't call international students because of the time difference. Should we just wait till we get our letters? Or should we assume we're got getting a scholarship?
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V44
Send PM
.[/quote]

Along the same lines, I was wondering if you everyone you know who got off the waitlist really had some relevant updates to provide to admissions? I'm just thinking about people like me who A. have an entirely acceptable GMAT and B. haven't gotten promoted in the past 3 months. I can certainly give them an update on the smaller details of how I continue to kick ass and take names in the world of biotech, but I'm not expecting to get a new title anytime soon. So what sort of stuff is really worth their time?

I'll have to think about the online classes suggestion. Just given the amount of time required, that would seem to be the sort of thing you'd have to send to admissions well into the summer, unless you're already halfway done (which I'm not).

I know you don't know how exactly how large the waitlist is, but I'm curious to know how many previously waitlisted students you know of in your class?[/quote]

Honestly I can think of around 5 people in my class who got off the wait list and I'm confident there are more but not tons of people. However I want to stress that there is not set number every year and recent year have been so different (huge applicant numbers, etc.) that it would be even harder to compare year over year. I do know that not everyone had a huge update to their profile but I don't think you should use that to justify not taking further action. Staying in touch though is important. They want to know if they give you the offer off of the wait list that you're going to take it and therefore want to know that you're still interested. I looked in your submitted GMATclub profile and you're waiting on Duke and Haas, both uncertain outcomes. Would you be applying to MBA programs next year if not admitted this year? If so, I would recommend you taking the long view and preparing for your applications next year. I agree your GMAT is plenty high and a higher score isn't going to move the needle too much. What about grades? How was your interview (those are very important)? What do you feel might have been the weakest parts of your application?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:<strong>Ross '13</strong>
 Q46  V40
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Send PM
wschaeff wrote:
Going back a few pages, I remember someone saying that McKinsey has chosen Fuqua to be a "core" school for recruiting. Does anyone know what other companies - across all industries - view Fuqua as "core". Is this information available on the web? I didn't see it in the employment report.

Thats a really great question, I have been looking for similar information as well.
Also, what exactly is the definition of "core". Obviously McKinsey has been recruiting respectable numbers of MBA from Fuqua for several years now. What changes by them becoming a "core" school? More recruits?
Can anyone shed some light on these items?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I am an Intl waitlisted R1 applicant (new at the blog) ....and the decision.....still WL.
Congratulation on all the admissions!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
What would be a reasonable decision deadline taking into consideration visa paperwork time restrictions for an int´l student? thanks
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V44
Send PM
MBAFingersCrossed wrote:
Quote:

I know you don't know how exactly how large the waitlist is, but I'm curious to know how many previously waitlisted students you know of in your class?

Honestly I can think of around 5 people in my class who got off the wait list and I'm confident there are more but not tons of people. However I want to stress that there is not set number every year and recent year have been so different (huge applicant numbers, etc.) that it would be even harder to compare year over year. I do know that not everyone had a huge update to their profile but I don't think you should use that to justify not taking further action. Staying in touch though is important. They want to know if they give you the offer off of the wait list that you're going to take it and therefore want to know that you're still interested. I looked in your submitted GMATclub profile and you're waiting on Duke and Haas, both uncertain outcomes. Would you be applying to MBA programs next year if not admitted this year? If so, I would recommend you taking the long view and preparing for your applications next year. I agree your GMAT is plenty high and a higher score isn't going to move the needle too much. What about grades? How was your interview (those are very important)? What do you feel might have been the weakest parts of your application?

Thanks for the great feedback. I get what you're saying about staying in contact, and I'll definitely try to do that. I'm just not 100% sure what I can keep them updated on without a promotion or taking business classes. I guess I'll just work with what I've got.

And no, I don't think I'd be reapplying next year. I certainly respect those people who keep chipping away at a difficult goal and end up succeeding in a multi-year project, like getting into a top b-school when you're not necessarily a very competitive candidate. But I think that the calculus changes a bit when you're not single. Families have to make decisions differently than single people, and going through this process again seems like an untenable proposition for my family. So, if I strike out, then I think I'm done. I'll revisit the question of a part-time program maybe five years down the line.

And for the people asking about core schools, this term usually refers to whenever an employer just officially states that they recruit at these schools primarily. The most direct way of finding this information is to research this from the opposite direction, starting with the companies not the schools. For example, if you were interested in Medtronic, you could go to their website, and they have a nice 1 page document saying the 5 or 6 schools they recruit from. Of course, that doesn't mean that those places are the only ones where they've ever hired someone, but it's still a really good indication of what they want from where.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Private Equity
Schools:Goizueta (Accepted with $$) - Matriculating
Send PM
jsmith54 wrote:
MBAFingersCrossed wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the great feedback. I get what you're saying about staying in contact, and I'll definitely try to do that. I'm just not 100% sure what I can keep them updated on without a promotion or taking business classes. I guess I'll just work with what I've got.

And no, I don't think I'd be reapplying next year. I certainly respect those people who keep chipping away at a difficult goal and end up succeeding in a multi-year project, like getting into a top b-school when you're not necessarily a very competitive candidate. But I think that the calculus changes a bit when you're not single. Families have to make decisions differently than single people, and going through this process again seems like an untenable proposition for my family. So, if I strike out, then I think I'm done. I'll revisit the question of a part-time program maybe five years down the line.

And for the people asking about core schools, this term usually refers to whenever an employer just officially states that they recruit at these schools primarily. The most direct way of finding this information is to research this from the opposite direction, starting with the companies not the schools. For example, if you were interested in Medtronic, you could go to their website, and they have a nice 1 page document saying the 5 or 6 schools they recruit from. Of course, that doesn't mean that those places are the only ones where they've ever hired someone, but it's still a really good indication of what they want from where.

Good Luck Jsmith. I'm sure it will work out the way it's supposed to. Just for the record. In finance, a "Core" school usually means that a firm has actually reserved a number of spots for that school. So you at least get some guarantee that they will hire at least those spots for "internships." It means nothing for full time placement. Jsmith, you are right. It also means they are physically on campus.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Has anyone gotten any calls or info about scholarships?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAFingersCrossed wrote:

I know you don't know how exactly how large the waitlist is, but I'm curious to know how many previously waitlisted students you know of in your class?[/quote]

Honestly I can think of around 5 people in my class who got off the wait list and I'm confident there are more but not tons of people. However I want to stress that there is not set number every year and recent year have been so different (huge applicant numbers, etc.) that it would be even harder to compare year over year. I do know that not everyone had a huge update to their profile but I don't think you should use that to justify not taking further action. Staying in touch though is important. They want to know if they give you the offer off of the wait list that you're going to take it and therefore want to know that you're still interested. I looked in your submitted GMATclub profile and you're waiting on Duke and Haas, both uncertain outcomes. Would you be applying to MBA programs next year if not admitted this year? If so, I would recommend you taking the long view and preparing for your applications next year. I agree your GMAT is plenty high and a higher score isn't going to move the needle too much. What about grades? How was your interview (those are very important)? What do you feel might have been the weakest parts of your application?[/quote]

FingersCrossed-- thanks for your insight. I'm in a similar position, on the WL at Fuqua and waiting on Haas, and considering getting ready to reapply next year. What makes you recommend taking the long view and reapplying? From what I've read, the re-applicant acceptance rates are basically the same as the general acceptance rates. Also, what could a re-applicant realistically improve about their background in 8 months to make a school change their decision? Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V44
Send PM
kjm3492 wrote:
MBAFingersCrossed wrote:

Honestly I can think of around 5 people in my class who got off the wait list and I'm confident there are more but not tons of people. However I want to stress that there is not set number every year and recent year have been so different (huge applicant numbers, etc.) that it would be even harder to compare year over year. I do know that not everyone had a huge update to their profile but I don't think you should use that to justify not taking further action. Staying in touch though is important. They want to know if they give you the offer off of the wait list that you're going to take it and therefore want to know that you're still interested. I looked in your submitted GMATclub profile and you're waiting on Duke and Haas, both uncertain outcomes. Would you be applying to MBA programs next year if not admitted this year? If so, I would recommend you taking the long view and preparing for your applications next year. I agree your GMAT is plenty high and a higher score isn't going to move the needle too much. What about grades? How was your interview (those are very important)? What do you feel might have been the weakest parts of your application?[/quote]

FingersCrossed-- thanks for your insight. I'm in a similar position, on the WL at Fuqua and waiting on Haas, and considering getting ready to reapply next year. What makes you recommend taking the long view and reapplying? From what I've read, the re-applicant acceptance rates are basically the same as the general acceptance rates. Also, what could a re-applicant realistically improve about their background in 8 months to make a school change their decision? Thanks again![/quote]

If an MBA is what you really want I hope you aren't deterred by one round of rejection. Candidly as much as admissions consultants and rumor would like people to think, admissions is far from a science. I don't know much about you or anyone else who's asked me questions but I can tell you, if you are a qualified candidate there may not be a great reason why you weren't admitted and your failure this round may not speak negatively to your chances next year. Personally, if you were a qualified candidate, I think if you were to reapply to Duke, Early Action, you would stand a better chance of admission. Why do I say that: firstly qualified is qualified and I'd expect a year later you would have even more to support your WE at the very least; secondly coming back after rejection speaks to your character and desire to pursue an MBA at Duke; and finally applying early action further displays your interest in attendance at Duke and is traditionally a less competitive pool. That being said I encourage you to take a painfully candid look at your profile and identify ways in which to improve. Not only will this give you ammunition to write about in your essays next fall but also in job market once in business school. These can be test scores, interviewing skills, GPA, leadership experience, global mindset, career focus, etc..

I'll spare you some canned inspiration quote but know that no one has a clear path to long term success and I'd encourage you to see this as bump in the road that can either be a test of your resolve or barrier to your ambition. Ultimately you need to decide whether an MBA is worth going through this process again if it comes to that. For me, I had no doubt.
Intern
Intern
Schools:Kenan-Flagler, Fuqua (W/L), McCombs
WE 1: Entrepreneurship
WE 2: Non-Profit
Send PM
Submitted in Rd 3

Invited to Interview

Originally posted by Smoodigger on 01 Apr 2011, 07:09.
Last edited by Smoodigger on 01 Apr 2011, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  105   106   107   108   109  ...  133   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts