Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 02:10 It is currently 12 May 2024, 02:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [4]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [5]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:<strong>Ross '13</strong>
 Q46  V40
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [3]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke (Fuqua) 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
vyomneeraj wrote:
ThomasD wrote:
Roll Call Updated

Out of curiosity, it has been quiet from those admitted during EA, what were/are the next step for you guys? Background check? Anything else?

yea, i would also like to know about the admit calls from EA candidates. Did you receive it on the decision date or a few days earlier?? what should we expect??

We received our admits on the decision date between 11:00AM & 12:00PM. The email basically just said "Check your application status page" and when we signed in there was a link to inform us whether we were admitted or not. A call came about a week later from our interviewers and those who got merit scholarships heard via phone call within a week. There really hasn't been a next step. We got a packet with a thumb drive full of information for incoming students and we got access to the admitted students web page which has similar information as the thumb drive but says "check in regularly for changes." Nothing has changed on the website since I first logged in and I have a feeling that nothing will until all students have been admitted. I read somewhere (I think on the thumb drive) that we should begin collecting our immunization and vaccination reports because that whole process can take months so I've been working on that. Other than that, I'm just checking in on the website once a week and reading this blog, sympathizing with everyone that's waiting (but glad I'm not in that position anymore....). Let me know if you have any more questions, but since I've heard about Duke's decision, there hasn't been much exiting news from Duke.

Oh and we'll eventually get a first-year mentor but I haven't been assigned mine yet. Hopefully this helps answer some questions. Good luck everyone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Fuqua 2013 (admitted w/ $)
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Kudos
Stele wrote:
Is anyone surprised by the huge admit rate gap between Duke and NYU/Yale? Supposedly only one spot off from the two schools according to US News but psychologically it seems more significant.

What is the gap between Duke and Yale, 7 or 8%? I'm not sure how "huge" I'd call that. If we're going to parse numbers, is anyone else surprised that Yale SOM has a yield rate around 45%? Does that mean that Yale, not Duke, is the backup school for applicants looking for an elite program? Is anyone else surprised that Yale has an endowment reportedly worth in excess of $400,000,000.00 and they haven't managed to convert that into a top five ranking? Or how about the fact that Yale isn't ranked nearly as high in other rankings as it is in the U.S. News rankings?

How about the fact that Duke is ranked higher than Harvard and other supposedly superior b-schools in some sub-field rankings? Seriously, we could go round and round trying to quantify what is largely a subjective choice. At the end of the day, what matters most is whether school A is the right fit (for personal, financial, career development, etc. reasons) for you.

Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear from Fuqua. I hope you hear good news this Friday.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools:Fuqua
 Q47  V44
WE 1: 4 years management strategy in defense sector
Send PM
Kudos
Please remove me from the list of applicants. Against all my expectations, I was just accepted off of the waitlist and will be going to Fuqua starting this Fall. Once I get my bearings, hopefully I will be able to help you all with your applications.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
If you scheduled an open interview, you will not be invited again for the invitation only interviews. You'll just find out the admit/ding results during your application round's decision date.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
My Interview experience:

First of all I was crazy I got up at 3.30 in the morning to fly out to Duke and as one of my flights was delayed, my final schedule ended up looking like this:

Check in 1:30PM
Interview 2:00PM - 3:00 PM
Meet & Greet with Admissions Officer 3:00PM - 3:30 PM
Class visit 4:00PM - 5:15 AM

I missed the tour with lunch which was a big bummer, because Duke students are friendly and chatty. Everyone I met during the rest of my trip had at least on tip or trick to share, so the in-between time of my schedule was among the most valuable time!

The interview: 2nd year student, he spoke 4 languages fluent, including my native language, so we hit it off quite nicely. He had a form/questionnaire in front of him that he used for the interview and the main things covered were:

* Walk me through your resume
* Long Term/Short Term Goals
* Why MBA
* Why Now
* Why Duke
* Tell me about the type of leader you are
* What would you look for in a team (specifically learning team)?
* How do you deal with conflict?

The entire interview was in a very friendly atmosphere and it was more conversational than interview - at least that's how I perceived it. Lasted a solid 50minutes with the last 5 minutes devoted to me asking questions.

Impressions were that the interview went ok. I forgot to include one quality aspect about my application that I am not incorporating in my Duke essays, so when I realized that I was a little bummed, but the rest was fine. What cheered my up a bit, I saw my interviewer again in a hallway later during the day and he gave me the thumbs up from a distance.

Finally, I flew back out that same day, which boy was stressful. It was a 21h trip for me and this morning I am like wabbly toast. Again, while this is cheap and may seem efficient to visit a school, I highly recommend spending 2 days. A lot of fellow applicants I met, flew in one day, did the campus tour, met with students etc on day one and then had their interview day 2 - which is smart, it allows them to incorporate the things they just learned to possible demonstrate a better fit. Then again, there were those that were nervous about the interview and interviewed first and then did all the rest. I suppose either way works, but if I could do it over again, I would do 2 days: Day 1 explore Fuqua, Day 2 interview.

Edit: Attire was indeed business casual. During the 3.30pm meet and greet with the admissions representative there were about 25 applicants present. Roughly 70/30 split m/f. Out of the males, I noticed 2 in full suit/tie, all others were a combination of dress pants, dress shirt, tie no jacket, or full suit no tie. The Dukies themselves were mostly dressed business casual to casual. I don't think I saw anyone attending classes in business formal.

Originally posted by ThomasD on 21 Sep 2010, 08:10.
Last edited by ThomasD on 21 Sep 2010, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I had mine on Monday as well. Very casual and conversational. Questions that I remember (interview lasted about 45 minutes)...

Walk me through your resume.
Why MBA & why now
Why Fuqua
Tell me about a team conflict
Question on leadership - forget the exact question...
3 qualities your friends would describe you
what's something you haven't shared on your application, but you want to share with me?
Then on to my questions for her.

Because the interviewer was very friendly, my interview went eventually moved into a more conversation like discussion. Left the interview feeling good but that could be due to the interviewer being very friendly. She also reasured that "team fuqua" is not just a marketing tool or on paper... it's an actual reflection of the collaborative nature of the fuqua community - nice to get that assurance :)

I had my interview in the morning, then tour and class in the afternoon. Flew in morning and out in the afternoon.

Hope this helps. Good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey, I'm going to be real honest with everyone right now. I love getting to know people, and I love hearing about all your experiences, profiles etc. I sincerely mean that, especially when I hear about all the diversity in those who are applying.

However, I'm getting tired of reading peoples posts who say things like, "oh man, I had a 3.7 GPA in college, I'm totally screwed I know." Or, like the multiple posts I've seen recently that rag on gmat scores. Like, oh I was in the 89th percentile *cough* *cough* 690, I'm dead in the water. Stuff like that drives me crazy, and I don't think it's necessarily fair to those reading the blog who didn't have a 4.0 gpa or a millionth percentile gmat score. Personally, I've done well in both areas (albiet not near a 4.0 gpa or 750 gmat [or whatever a truly awesome score is]), but yeah. You need to keep in mind that Fuqua in particular wants a diverse background, which is reflected in the fact that their 80% range is 620 - 740 or whatever.

Yeah, I'm blowing off some steam here, but I'm just tired of that stuff. It's great to post your profile, lets discuss, make comments, words the wise, etc etc. But please, for my sake, and any and everyone else on these boards who may agree with me, leave the "holy s*** im totally screwed cause I only got a 710 on my gmat" BS.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
at87 wrote:
Has any of the EA applicants started hearing back from Fuqua?

Officially no....

The last 2-months while I sleep yes. I've gotten dinged and accepted dozens of times....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing / Product Management
Schools:Wharton (R1), Duke (EA-Open Interview), Darden (R1-Interview + Withdrawn), Ross (R1)
 Q44  V37 GMAT 2: 700  Q47  V38
GPA: 3.61
WE 1: 3 years Online Mrktng Rsrch / Pharmaceuticals
Send PM
Kudos
Shubhster15 wrote:
Then do it again jtinva..we would LOVE you forever :)

You all are wimps.
I just called and the woman was really nasty-sounding. I asked her if she had any idea about when the release would be, and she said "no." I asked if it'd be morning or afternoon, and she said "sometime today". So I asked if it will at least be within business hours, and she said "sometime today."
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
It's Christmas!!! Have a wonderful holiday season, and may all your dreams and wishes come true.

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world." - Harriet Tubman
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Kudos
vyomneeraj wrote:
oh ok...i have my telephonic interview coming up with a 2nd year student...anyone has any tips for that?? coz i feel that adcoms and 2nd year students are generally more intrusive than alums since they are more motivated and dedicated to this task.....

I am a current student who interviewed on campus with a second year last year. I think the questions you should be prepared for are those that have been listed above such as Why Fuqua? Why MBA? Performance in a team setting? Strengths/Weaknesses? ... The key is going to make your answers personal and to demonstrate that you understand why you want to attend the school and that you have thought about how Fuqua will be an important part of your professional career and life. This means, don't simply say "I want to go to Fuqua because it's a top business school, because it has a good culture, etc." Relate it to your experience and what you want to do and be specific about what aspects of the school you're interested in. Another factor is be personable, as a student we want be classmates with not only qualified but fun/interesting people (this is a big factor considering how much work is done in teams).

Bottomline: Interviews are supposed to be conversations and interviewers are not trying to confuse or test you; they are trying to get to know you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Roll Call Updated

Just a few remarks:

1) Open interview season for the 2011 application cycle is over. Interviews are by invitation only.

2) Interviews are not gender, nationality, political orientation, time of the day or hair color of the applicant biased. Except for if your hair is blue that is an automatic ding.

3) On-campus interviewees will typically not know who they will interview with until they get to campus. This can be different for people interviewing over the phone as here special arrangements with the interviewer may need to be made.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Kudos
tfincham86 wrote:
I feel like we keep getting the same questions over and over and over on this thread.

Maybe it bodes well for our chances :wink:
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [2]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Kudos
anytimeuneed wrote:
vyomneeraj wrote:
vicksikand wrote:

W/L is at least better than a Ding! You have already been accepted to Ross, so you are in the safe zone !
Good luck.

i was really praying for a final decision in this case....tht way i could have decided whether i want to join ross or fuqua....but now i have to wait for this final choice....so basically 2 months of useless waiting and there is no guarantee i'll get the admission...

aargh..!!

Join Oxford -- great brand , ross and fuqua are in the middle of nowhere

Sorry, but I have to chime in here. You're currently comparing apples to oranges (brand and location, in your argument). If you want to talk about brand, what's your basis on that Oxford has a better brand than Michigan Ross or Duke Fuqua? As far as I know, if you want to work in Europe and get in Oxford, that's a great choice. If you want to work in the states, Ross and Fuqua would do the trick. All three are, arguably, not at the Harvard or Wharton ranking level, but all three are conceivably very good programs with great brands and recruiters.

Now to get on the location part of your sentence. I won't argue that Oxford is at a great location, with great architectures and picturesque county town. However, to say that Ross and Fuqua are in the middle of nowhere is almost a misnomer. Being in the fact that you're in the research triangle (Fuqua), it'll get you to places. The research triangle consists of numerous high-tech companies, as well as some of the best universities in the states. I'm not going to talk much about Michigan Ross as everyone knows that it's not in the middle of nowhere. Furthermore, the schools, along with the brands of these school, attract all the different recruiters from most industries. Anyway, I disagree with your comment that Oxford's brand is better than Ross' and Fuqua's and I disagree that the locations of Fuqua and Ross are in the middle of nowhere, but feel free to back up your assumptions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [2]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
Send PM
Kudos
bakfed wrote:
anytimeuneed wrote:
vyomneeraj wrote:
i was really praying for a final decision in this case....tht way i could have decided whether i want to join ross or fuqua....but now i have to wait for this final choice....so basically 2 months of useless waiting and there is no guarantee i'll get the admission...

aargh..!!

Join Oxford -- great brand , ross and fuqua are in the middle of nowhere

Sorry, but I have to chime in here. You're currently comparing apples to oranges (brand and location, in your argument). If you want to talk about brand, what's your basis on that Oxford has a better brand than Michigan Ross or Duke Fuqua? As far as I know, if you want to work in Europe and get in Oxford, that's a great choice. If you want to work in the states, Ross and Fuqua would do the trick. All three are, arguably, not at the Harvard or Wharton ranking level, but all three are conceivably very good programs with great brands and recruiters.

Now to get on the location part of your sentence. I won't argue that Oxford is at a great location, with great architectures and picturesque county town. However, to say that Ross and Fuqua are in the middle of nowhere is almost a misnomer. Being in the fact that you're in the research triangle (Fuqua), it'll get you to places. The research triangle consists of numerous high-tech companies, as well as some of the best universities in the states. I'm not going to talk much about Michigan Ross as everyone knows that it's not in the middle of nowhere. Furthermore, the schools, along with the brands of these school, attract all the different recruiters from most industries. Anyway, I disagree with your comment that Oxford's brand is better than Ross' and Fuqua's and I disagree that the locations of Fuqua and Ross are in the middle of nowhere, but feel free to back up your assumptions.

Thanks bakfed for giving your perspective. I really like Fuqua, but was also considering the location kind of a downside, just seemed to me that there was no social life outside of the school at all. I like the close-knit environment, but I got the impression that students spend all their time together in and outside of class, most even live in the same apartment complex, which to me signified not much going on in that town once you leave campus. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

I'm going to visit Ross this weekend for an interview, and may have to make the same choice. I think I would prefer Ann Arbor, but for marketing/consumer products I believe Fuqua has the edge. Or are they pretty comparable? I guess I will ask about this when visiting this weekend.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Michmax3 wrote:
Thanks bakfed for giving your perspective. I really like Fuqua, but was also considering the location kind of a downside, just seemed to me that there was no social life outside of the school at all. I like the close-knit environment, but I got the impression that students spend all their time together in and outside of class, most even live in the same apartment complex, which to me signified not much going on in that town once you leave campus. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

I'm going to visit Ross this weekend for an interview, and may have to make the same choice. I think I would prefer Ann Arbor, but for marketing/consumer products I believe Fuqua has the edge. Or are they pretty comparable? I guess I will ask about this when visiting this weekend.

Any difference between Fuqua and Ross in marketing/CPG is a wash, there's just not that much difference. As for location, Durham is really not that bad and I would say most people here do not mind it. In addition, if you are comparing to Ross, I really don't think that Ann Arbor is going to offer a very different experience...students will spend most of their time together at a relatively small number of places. When I was looking into Ross, most people still lived in a few apartment complexes. It's true that there are more housing options, but it's more a matter of the school size (Big Ten v. private) than Ann Arbor being larger/more happening. Also, there are people that live outside of the two popular complexes at Fuqua, it's just that these are relatively convenient.
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Kudos
joshmba2011 wrote:
Waitlister here

Wondering about what types of additional info I should send in? I was lucky enough to get a reasonable raise and bonus this year, is this something I should let adcom know about?

Thanks.

I would submit information that is particularly relevant to your profile such as promotions, raises, new GMAT scores, courses you are currently taking and information of that type. Don't tell them you started volunteering somewhere since that sounds contrived. When you do send in updates, don't just say "I got a raise/promotion" and tell them your new salary/title; make sure to focus on what you did to earn the raise (I would recommend the tried and true STAR method with an emphasis on the A and R).

For those on the wait list without a raise, promotion, etc., I suggest you take steps to strengthen your candidacy if they are feasible. Recognize that as a waitlisted candidate, you are competing against successive applicant pools for a shrinking number of slots. The easiest thing would be if you lack relevant background or GPA issues, enroll in a business course and get an A. If you have a low GMAT, start studying and retake it. Yes GMAT studying sucks but tell me that a higher GMAT will hurt you in admissions, recruiting, or applying again next year. The wait list is usually kept open through June and potentially into July so you have time (people are admitted throughout that period). What will you do with this time?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  133   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts