Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Stern '13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA (done with the exams)
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I've got every intention to apply for R1 - though its still a bit early (and still plowing through my other application).

Perhaps this thread will pick up a bit of steam in a week or two?
Current Student
Send PM
Great! Make sure you visit the school, contact current students to get their perspectives, and do your homework. It'll pay dividends when it comes to essays. This is true for any school, but Stern will take notice if you've taken your time to learn about the school, and know why it's special for you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
I think the traffic around here should pick up pretty soon given the Columbia ED deadline is today, I would guess many applying to Columbia are looking at NYU as well. But you're right this thread is much quieter than last years. I'm waiting for more people to join the fray.

I've visited already for an info session and tour. I love NYU and looking forward to Discover Stern in a few weeks. I'm applying R1 via Consortium and I have my core essays done as well as my NYU essay just about done, I'm just waiting until Discover Stern to add some of my experiences to it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Stern '13 (M)
Send PM
Wow, I am surprised at how few people are listed as applying for R1 this year, almost half of what it was last year. MBA apps must really be down.

-J
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I really think people are just working on other apps, and that is probably why this thread is moving slowly.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
jesterov wrote:
I received my acceptance letter today for part-time!

Congrats!
I actually visited Stern for the first time today and loved it!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
doolittle wrote:
MCE7 wrote:
jesterov wrote:
I received my acceptance letter today for part-time!

Congrats!
I actually visited Stern for the first time today and loved it!

The visit actually made all the difference for me. The place has a real buzz to it.

Just to let people know, one of Stern's professors was awarded the Nobel Prize in Economics this week. Everyone's pretty pleased as that's now 3 current Stern faculty with Nobel Prizes (the other two are Robert Engle and Michael Spence):

https://www.stern.nyu.edu/experience-ste ... ze-release

It's a very strong faculty at the moment, particularly for economics and finance. These names are probably worth dropping in your application (and/or Damodaran, Silber, Okun, some others), to show you're up to date with what's happening.

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely be using Okun's name in my app. Simply because I attended one of his classes and it got me extremely pumped up about Stern. It was such a great experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Question about something that was said at a Stern admission event recently about NYU not having “application rounds” in the traditional sense.

Does that mean they review applications as they receive them, and the deadlines simply mean that if you don’t submit your application by Nov. 15th, they do not guarantee that you will hear back from them by Feb. 15th?
In other words, can I submit an application on, say, Nov. 20th and still have it reviewed before the 2nd deadline? (i.e. they simply don’t commit to notifying me before Feb. 15th)
Or, if you miss deadline 1, do they not review/ decide on any applications until deadline 2?

Any clarification much appreciated.

Thanks!

S.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:NYU Stern - Class of 2013
 Q48  V44
WE 1: Nonprofit / international development (4 years)
WE 2: Consulting internship - MBB
Send PM
MCE7 wrote:

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely be using Okun's name in my app. Simply because I attended one of his classes and it got me extremely pumped up about Stern. It was such a great experience.

Yeah I've heard he's really good but haven't had the pleasure yet. Funnily enough we just this minute had a panel of MBA2s talking about electives for spring and they were falling over themselves to say how great Okun is, particularly his class 'Managing the Growing Company'. It's a good one to talk about because he's maybe not so well known outside of Stern but extremely highly regarded here, so it shows you've done a bit of research. Same would apply to someone like Bill Silber or Sonia Marciano. Others, such as the Nobel winners or Damodaran are known widely so worth knowing about but maybe less brownie points for having figured out how great they are!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:NYU Stern - Class of 2013
 Q48  V44
WE 1: Nonprofit / international development (4 years)
WE 2: Consulting internship - MBB
Send PM
scielle wrote:
Question about something that was said at a Stern admission event recently about NYU not having “application rounds” in the traditional sense.

Does that mean they review applications as they receive them, and the deadlines simply mean that if you don’t submit your application by Nov. 15th, they do not guarantee that you will hear back from them by Feb. 15th?
In other words, can I submit an application on, say, Nov. 20th and still have it reviewed before the 2nd deadline? (i.e. they simply don’t commit to notifying me before Feb. 15th)
Or, if you miss deadline 1, do they not review/ decide on any applications until deadline 2?

Thanks!

S.

I'm reluctant to give an answer on this as I don't want to tell you the wrong thing - I'd suggest either calling the Admissions Office or contacting one of the Ambassadors who should get back to you pretty quickly.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
doolittle wrote:
scielle wrote:

Thanks!

S.

I'm reluctant to give an answer on this as I don't want to tell you the wrong thing - I'd suggest either calling the Admissions Office or contacting one of the Ambassadors who should get back to you pretty quickly.

I asked that question at the info session.

The short answer is yes; applications are reviewed as soon as they are received, and the deadlines are only there to let you know when is the latest you could hear an answer.

Also, I was told that there is no benefit in applying early (which is weird in an rolling admission process) - I'm still not sold on that one. Hope this helps.
Current Student
Send PM
MCE7 wrote:
doolittle wrote:

I asked that question at the info session.

The short answer is yes; applications are reviewed as soon as they are received, and the deadlines are only there to let you know when is the latest you could hear an answer.

Also, I was told that there is no benefit in applying early (which is weird in an rolling admission process) - I'm still not sold on that one. Hope this helps.

I'd apply a few days before the deadline just to get around the large group at the tail end. It shouldn't matter much though whether you apply now vs. Nov 1st.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Stern '13 (M)
Send PM
Unless they changed it from last year, which I don't think they did. Stern does a "semi"-rolling process.

What I mean by that is no app is reviewed until the deadline so there is no benefit to applying early. However once the deadline passes they will begin reviewing application and sending out interview invites and acceptances on a rolling basis. So some people might get an interview invite 3 weeks after the deadline, some people might not get an invite until a few months later.

Hope that helps.

-J
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Consulting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Targeting Rd1... Gud luk all :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: Stern PT '16
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Hello everyone! Just joined the GMAT club and must say, I am very impressed and can't imagine taking the GMAT's without the GMATCLUB. I have a question that I am hoping someone can assist me with - I only decided to pursue my MBA degree about a week or two ago and I am now questioning whether I am too late for the FALL 2012 class. I plan on applying for the Part-time program with hopes of taking the GMAT in February (3 months of gmat studying). After reading through the thread I noticed mention of different application "rounds", which to my understanding are more of reference as to when one can expect a response. Simply put, am I too late to the Fall 2012 program? with the amount of studying I would like to get in and the actual application process itself...I guess I can reduce my study time but..I'm shooting for a 700+ score...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.03
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello All,

In for r 1 as a re-applicant. WL/Ding last year. They make is pretty easy for re-applicants: only 1 essay and recommendation.

One question I have is do you guys know where one would upload the transcript for additional courses taken. The online application has two sections: undergrad and grad transcripts. I took a stats class and its not exactly undergrad or graduate, just continuing ed. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
I asked a bunch of questions to cwhs and he pm'ed some answers so I wanted to post them here if anyone was interested:

1) what is the culture like at NYU? is it competitive? or more coopetitive? How would it compare to Columbia (in your opinion)
I would definitely say coopetitive. We are all obviously vying for the same jobs yet there isn't a visible competition among the folks. We are actually trained very hard to be nice, so it works well. It would be unfair for me to compare us to Columbia since I'm not there, but if you do some research you can form an opinion about that.

2) Is it difficult to get into classes with Aswath Damodaran or Nouriel Roubini? How does that work ?
Roubini is out this year, so I don't know if it'll be difficult to get his classes. Damodaran on the other hand is easy to get. His classes have hundreds of people and are usually conducted in auditorium size classrooms. I think Stern is good with making sure that people who want to see the "star" professors get a chance to do so.

3) Do you think the school's location helps/hurts the 'NYU community' for example is the community disjointed or do you miss out on the community feeling because of the school's location?
It definitely helps the community. People are incredibly tight knit for a school that's in the middle of the largest city in the US. We go to a lot of happy hours and dinners together.

4) How hard are classes (extremely subjective I know)?
You are dealing with a lot of very smart classmates, so the classes are a bit tougher and it's not easy to get an A. That being said, there are lots of sources of support if you need. If you are dedicated to a class you will get an A. That might mean you give up an A on another class though, especially if you are recruiting for a time-intensive career like i-banking.

5) Does NYU have a preterm refresher class ?
Yes, they have them for stats, math, and accounting. I am assuming you already know about the summer start program. If you don't, you might want to look into it, it's a great opportunity to get acquainted to school before all the recruiting starts. For full disclosure, I didn't summer start but I heard good things about it.

Thanks !
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  36   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts