GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 13:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Camus broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests
Camus broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 09:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (00:31) correct 66% (00:35) wrong based on 370 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 16 Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Camus broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism.

A) in a bitter dispute over
B) over bitterly disputing
C) after there was a bitter dispute over
D) after having bitterly disputed about
E) over a bitter dispute about

NOTE: For this question, BEST or EXCELLENT answers must include the meaning of this sentence.

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

TIME magazine - April 28, 1980 | Vol. 115 No. 17 (LINK)

World: Inadvertent Guru to an Age

Sartre expounded his ideas in nine plays, four novels, five major philosophical works, innumerable lectures, and essays written for Les Temps Modernes, the magazine he helped found in 1945. Among its contributors was another action-oriented writer, Albert Camus, who subsequently broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism, which Camus deplored. Sartre led demonstrations, fired off protests and manned almost every political barricade raised by the left. Ironically, his most conspicuous disciples—the young, the bitter and the cynical—did little or nothing and understood Sartre least. Had he not proclaimed life absurd, reality nauseating and man free—of moral laws, religious commandments, restricting obligations either to ideals or family? The long-haired beatniks became part of Sartre's mystique.
Most Helpful Community Reply
VP
VP
D
Re: Camus broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 04:17
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 16: Sentence Correction (SC1)

NOTE: For this question, BEST or EXCELLENT answers must include the meaning of this sentence.

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

Sartre expounded his ideas in nine plays, four novels, five major philosophical works, innumerable lectures, and essays written for Les Temps Modernes, the magazine he helped found in 1945. Among its contributors was another action-oriented writer, Albert Camus, who subsequently broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism, which Camus deplored. Sartre led demonstrations, fired off protests and manned almost every political barricade raised by the left. Ironically, his most conspicuous disciples—the young, the bitter and the cynical—did little or nothing and understood Sartre least. Had he not proclaimed life absurd, reality nauseating and man free—of moral laws, religious commandments, restricting obligations either to ideals or family? The long-haired beatniks became part of Sartre's mystique.

Meaning is that two people broke while they were debating about stalinism. (broke in this context means something like "to disaagree with each to such a degree that they dont call each other next day :) )

A) in a bitter dispute over (this option is logical i think because it follows the intended meaning, so during dispute they kind of broke apart )
B) over bitterly disputing ( this opton means that they broke BECAUSE OF bitter dispute, which is wrong meaning)
C) after there was a bitter dispute over ( this option also changes the meaning, it sounds as if they broke AFTER THE DISPUTE, which is incorrect, because they broke DURING the dispute)

D) after having bitterly disputed about (same issue as in D)
E) over a bitter dispute about (this option changes the intended meaning, i would say it hase the same issue as in B, because both have preposition "over")

IMO A :grin:
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.6
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Re: Camus broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 12:42
generis wrote:

Yikes! This sentence doesn't make sense to me and I don't know what/who Camus or Sartre are! I'm going to guess that they are people since they are capitalized. Even then, saying "Mike broke with John in a bitter dispute..." doesn't make sense to me, I don't know what "broke" means here.

All that being said, I'll give this a shot.

Meaning: Camus and Sartre got in a dispute. The subject that they disputed on was the nature of Stalinism. Two people do not "broke." Maybe it means they "broke up" like two people that are in a relationship do when they decide to no longer be in a relationship. Let's go with that. Either way, there was a dispute that did not end well.

A) Camus broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism.

Again, I don't know what that means "broke" with Sartre, but I'm eliminating this because I don't think the "over" and "it" are used idiomatically.

B) Camus broke with Sartre over bitterly disputing the nature of Stalinism.

Verb Tenses! We went from past tense "broke" to present tense "disputing." Eliminate.

C) Camus broke with Sartre after there was a bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism.

This changes the meaning a little bit. More specifically our timeline. Camus broke with Sartre after there was the dispute. I think this timeline change might be enough to eliminate this one.

Also, "bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism." I know what this is trying to say, but from a literal sense, I think what it is really saying is that there was a bitter dispute about the nature of Stalinism.

D) Camus broke with Sartre after having bitterly disputed about the nature of Stalinism.

I don't love the verb structure here: "after having disputed..." This would make more sense if it said "after disputing." The "having" is not needed here and I'm sure it breaks some rules.

E) Camus broke with Sartre over a bitter dispute about the nature of Stalinism.

I'm going with this one! Camus broke with Sartre over a dispute. So the "over" is acting as a synonym of "because of." I think that makes sense.

The dispute was about the nature of Stalinism. I like this word choice better than the options in (A) and (C) that say the dispute was over the nature of Stalinism.

Would I rather be feared or loved? Easy. Both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me.

How to sort questions by Topic, Difficulty, and Source:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?view=search_tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 19:33
Hi,

Camus broke with Sarte in a bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism

Meaning- So the sentence says that Camus broke with Sarte and then prepositional phrase explains how did he break? That is in a bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism

I cannot distinguish between Option A and Option E as I have seen both cases. But I can surely comment on rest other options

Option B .. preposition is not followed by a noun
Option C ... change in meaning by adding a sequence not present in the original sentence
Option D ... change in meaning by adding a sequence not present in the original sentence
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 04:12
generis wrote:

Dispute over is the correct idiom
Left with A and C
Though the sequencing is not mentioned in the original sentence but it make the sentence more clear
So C is the answer
Waiting for the OA
Please correct me if I am wrong generis
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 07:29
Answer:
A) Camus broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute---error with 'in'--we do not brake in dispute ,we brake up due to/because of dispute.
B) Again 'over' does not conjugate the sentence correctly... also 'bitterly' is awkward.
C) after there was a bitter dispute over--- dispute over something makes exact sense plus 'after there was' conjugates the sentence correctly---IMO RIGHT CHOICE.
D) 'DISPUTED ABOUT'- wrong because we dispute over something not dispute about something.
E) AGAIN DISPUTE ABOUT here is wrong.

IMO (C) is a better choice over other options.
Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 07:35
generis wrote:

MikeScarn and Wonderwoman31 I am not sure whether the spoiler in this question had been posted when you answered.

I did not put the spoiler on this post, but we have two likely candidates.
I would put long money on hazelnut , our most tenured SC moderator,
whose ability to find original is unbelievably good.

Read the spoiler.

Only one of you has the correct answer, though I like the way
people are "thinking out loud."

"Broke" in this instance is very idiomatic.

It means "break away from" over a schism, a split, in belief systems.

Prepositions are strange in this idiom.

You do not need a "because" substitute; broke with sort of implies a "because."

Let's say I have an intellectual companion, friend, fellow writer, and fellow philosopher.
We are probably the two most influential writers and thinkers in France.
He decides to defend totalitarian governments.

We get into a bitter dispute because he claims that the government he supports is not totalitarian.

In the midst of the bitter dispute that lasts a few years, finally I break with him because I cannot
bear to think of supporting totalitarianism.
(I have just fought in the French resistance in World War II.
We both have.
I am worried because he is so influential, and he is defending a monster.)

This idiom is very compact.

If you figure out which one of you is correct so far,
simply post again, or add to your post at the bottom.

It helps people learn to see other people
reasoning their way through a question.
It helps people (many people!) learn to see that one line of reasoning
wasn't quite correct.

Often we have to know what is not correct before we can know what is. :)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 09:12
generis I am confused between A and E. Could you please explain the difference.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 11:56
Wonderwoman31 wrote:
generis I am confused between A and E. Could you please explain the difference.

Posted from my mobile device

Wonderwoman31 , the OA posted, but I am giving people the chance to post an explanation until 12 (noon) Pacific Standard time.

Think about logical sequence, and the way in which "broke" is used.

Ghandi broke with British colonial rule in India in a way that revolutionized the anti-colonial movement.

During WWII, General de Gaulle broke with General Petain over Petain's accommodation of Nazism.

(Charles de Gaulle, leader of the Free French, was exiled in England.
General Petain became titular head of government in occupied France.)

A) Camus broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism.

E) Camus broke with Sartre over a bitter dispute about the nature of Stalinism.

In our question, two people are locked in a dispute over an ideology.
On principle, one of them cannot accept the stance of the other.

When does he break with his friend's position?
During or after the dispute?

The prepositions suggest time and timing.

At the moment, that material is the best I can offer.

I cannot explain the difference between options A and E until 12 (noon) Pacific Std time.
I will give people a little while longer.

Try to think of the prepositions in a way that is "outside the box."

In this case the correct answer is about timing, and the incorrect answer suggests the wrong timing—the wrong sequence of events.

Hope that helps.
Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 14:07
generis wrote:

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

• Choice A is best

• In B, over is misused: the idiomatic form of expression is
broke . . . in , not broke . . . over,
and over should appear immediately before the issue in dispute (i.e. the nature of Stalinism)

• Choice C, wordy ( :thumbdown: ) and imprecise, does not specify who was involved in the dispute.

• In D and E, dispute(d) about is less direct and idiomatic than dispute(d) over
Also, D is needlessly wordy :thumbdown: and over is misused in E.

COMMENTS ON THE OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

• The author is correct that (C) and (D) are "needlessly wordy."
-- Assertion without explanation is not very helpful.
-- "Wordy" should be among the last reasons we eliminate an option.

-- C) Camus broke with Sartre after there was a bitter dispute over the nature of Stalinism.

-- C is "wordy" because it introduces "there was."
Who was involved in this bitter dispute?
"There was" a dispute between which people? Maybe two friends of Camus and Sartre were having a dispute, and Sartre took one friend's side, an action that led Camus to break with Sartre.

Camus and Sartre were part of an influential group of thinkers.
Maybe their pals Merleau-Ponty and (Sartre's companion) Simone de Beauvoir had the bitter dispute.

-- Example of "wordy," explained: "after there was a bitter dispute over" is not as concise as
"in a bitter dispute over."

• Idiom? DISPUTE OVER - MEANING - CAUSAL SEQUENCE
The idiomatic construction can be gleaned (figured out on your own) from the correct meaning, which in turn can be gleaned from logic.

The difference between (A) "IN" and (B/E) "OVER" is a difference in logical meaning.

Suppose that a business partner, Y, embezzles from his partner.
Partner X confronts Y repeatedly. Partner Y will not admit to having embezzled money.
The two are in dispute for a decade.
Partner X finally gives up and breaks with Y.
The dispute has not ended.
The dispute is not the instigator (fundamental cause) of the break. The missing funds are the instigator.
X breaks with Y in or during the course of a dispute over missing funds.

By contrast, If I say that X broke with Y OVER a bitter dispute involving missing funds,
"over" functions as "because."
Then the sentence means something different from A.
Now I am saying that X did not break with Y during the dispute over missing funds.
Rather, I am saying that the dispute itself caused or instigated the break.

But that logical sequence is off.
Missing funds CAUSED or instigated a dispute during which X broke from Y.
The dispute itself is not the cause of the break.

SHORT POE
This question is hard.
The correct idiom is DISPUTE OVER,
not DISPUTE ABOUT.

Now we are down to A, B, and C.

(B) does not make much sense.
Camus broke with Sartre over bitterly disputing the nature of Stalinism.
-- ask which works better: disputing, or a dispute (GMAC often prefers noun forms to ING constructions)
-- in this case, "over" is in the wrong place. Dispute OVER, not "over a dispute."
-- is (B) as clear as (A) or (C)?
B vs. C may be hard to call, but B vs. A is not a hard call.
(A) is clearer.

Now, A or C?
As noted above, (C) does not tell us WHO was in a bitter dispute.

Answer A is best.

Having these replies is invaluable.
Many people will have used identical or similar thought processes
in both the correct eliminations and the incorrect ones.

I appreciate everyone who contributed!

dave13 has the best explanation (and the only correct answer)
kudos!
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 10:44
GMATNinja GMATNinja2 daagh

Could you please share your views on this?

The intended meaning of the sentence is that Camus had a dispute with Sartre about the nature of Stalinism and because of the dispute, Camus broke something (either friendship, partnership or whatever it was) with Sartre.

Keeping this in mind, shouldn't (E) be correct?

And is 'over a dispute' correct or is 'dispute over' correct?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 13:10
The term "broke with" has two common uses:

"took a different position than"
She broke with her Republican colleagues on the health care bill.

"ended a friendship/partnership/collaboration with" (basically, this is the same as "broke up with," except without the romance)

This second usage is what we're dealing with here, although the other meaning is still there. (They certainly are taking different positions.)

As for the prepositions (in, over, about), we need to consider the meaning. In this case, "over" and "about" can be used more or less interchangeably, although it's true that "over" is a bit better to convey the subject of the dispute ("a dispute over Stalinism"). Imagine, then, saying "They broke with each other ABOUT the dispute." This doesn't make sense. It's kind of like saying "They disagreed about the disagreement." They broke with each other "as part of" or "as a result of" the dispute. The dispute was "about/over" Stalinism. Only A correctly conveys this. B and E incorrectly begin with "over," and C and D eliminate the causal relationship.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Camus broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of &nbs [#permalink] 30 Nov 2018, 13:10

Camus broke with Sartre in a bitter dispute over the nature of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap