Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Strengthenx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman medical treati [#permalink]
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
rk0510 wrote:
B & C can be strengtheners because the argument is assuming that year of disruption and year of production are same and they reiterate that and allow for that possibility. Where am i going wrong here? Could you please explain?

This question is a weird question. Even (D) does not do much to strengthen the argument.

So, what we need is the best choice, not one that is a clear strengthener.

(B) is not great. We already know that the plague occurred in 1148, and we have no reason to believe that a 10 month plague is more clearly connected to the disruption of the copying than, say, a two month plague. A plague is not going to be a one day thing, I don't think. So, common sense tells us it would have disrupted the copying whether it was tenth months long or lasted some other length of time.

So, while, sure, (B) confirms that the plague lasted long enough to disrupt the process, since common sense tells us that any notable plague would probably last long enough to do so, (B) doesn't add much.

(C) works in a similar way. Yes, (C) confirms that the copying would have occurred in one year, which could have been 1148. At the same time, common sense already tells us that, probably, copying an 80 page document is not going to take multiple years. I guess it could but, even so, maybe it could have been disrupted during one of those years.

So, (C), like (B), sort of tightens up the time frame for us, but really doesn't add much.

Thus, (D), which eliminates the possibility that such a plague occurred often during those times, is the best of some pretty weak choices.

MartyTargetTestPrep GMATGuruNY VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun MarkSullivan IanStewart AtlanticGMAT GMATNinja

In the passage, the author makes a jump when he says there was some sort of disruption and that happened in 1148. Therefore, the treatise was produced in 1148. Clearly, he is assuming that the year of production and the year of disruption are same. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense that just because there was a disruption in 1148, the book must have been produced in that particular year. Now (B) gives us a reason to believe that while there was a disruption, it wasn't that long, so probably the treatise was produced in the same year as disruption, as the work that needed to be done post disruption wasn't that much. So probably, 1148 was the year of production.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [0]
Send PM
Re: Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman medical treati [#permalink]
Expert Reply
VeritasKarishma wrote:
hb wrote:
Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman medical treatise, is undated but contains clues to when it was produced. Its first 80 pages are by a single copyist, but the remaining 20 pages are by three different copyists, which indicates some significant disruption. Since a letter in handwriting identified as that of the fourth copyist mentions a plague that killed many people in Florence in 1148, Codex Berinensis was probably produced in that year.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the hypothesis that Codex Berinensis was produced in 1148?

A.Other than Codex Berinensis, there are no known samples of the handwriting of the first three copyists.
B.According to the account by the fourth copyist, the plague went on for 10 months.
C.A scribe would be able to copy a page of text the size and style of Codex Berinensis in a day.
D.There was only one outbreak of plague in Florence in the 1100s.
E.The number of pages of Codex Berinensis produced by a single scribe becomes smaller with each successive change of copyist.

Edit: by carcass

Premises:
Codex Berinensis is undated but contains clues to when it was produced.
Its first 80 pages are by a single copyist, but the remaining 20 pages are by three different copyists, which indicates some significant disruption.
A letter written by fourth copyist mentions a plague that killed many people in Florence in 1148

Conclusion: Codex Berinensis was probably produced in 1148.

We are looking for some major disruption to explain the frequent change of copyists. A letter written by fourth copyist talks of a plague in 1148. So the conclusion drawn is that Codex Berinensis was produced in 1148. Notice that it is a very weak conclusion. All we know is that one person who worked on the codex also wrote a letter talking about a plague 1148. To conclude that the codex was written in 1148, we need more info - e.g. was there a plague in another year around that time? what about war or some other disruption? etc

Option (D) says that there was only one outbreak of plague in 1100s. This strengthens the conclusion. Of course, we still cannot establish the conclusion without doubt, but it does strengthen it. Hence (D) is the answer.

The above explain why (D) is correct. Let's look at other options too.

A.Other than Codex Berinensis, there are no known samples of the handwriting of the first three copyists.

Doesn't matter. The other three did not write anything else or at least we haven't found anything else.

B.According to the account by the fourth copyist, the plague went on for 10 months.

We already know there was a plague in 1148. How long it actually lasted doesn't impact much. The point is whether that plague caused the disruption or something else. Re-iteration of what the premises say doesn't add value.

C.A scribe would be able to copy a page of text the size and style of Codex Berinensis in a day.

"Would be able to" and "did" are different things. Also, this just hints at a disruption. What exactly that disruption could be, it doesn't say.

E.The number of pages of Codex Berinensis produced by a single scribe becomes smaller with each successive change of copyist.

Doesn't impact our argument in any way.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
thecoronafever wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
hb wrote:
Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman medical treatise, is undated but contains clues to when it was produced. Its first 80 pages are by a single copyist, but the remaining 20 pages are by three different copyists, which indicates some significant disruption. Since a letter in handwriting identified as that of the fourth copyist mentions a plague that killed many people in Florence in 1148, Codex Berinensis was probably produced in that year.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the hypothesis that Codex Berinensis was produced in 1148?

D.There was only one outbreak of plague in Florence in the 1100s.

Edit: by carcass

Premises:
Codex Berinensis is undated but contains clues to when it was produced.
Its first 80 pages are by a single copyist, but the remaining 20 pages are by three different copyists, which indicates some significant disruption.
A letter written by fourth copyist mentions a plague that killed many people in Florence in 1148

Conclusion: Codex Berinensis was probably produced in 1148.

We are looking for some major disruption to explain the frequent change of copyists. A letter written by fourth copyist talks of a plague in 1148. So the conclusion drawn is that Codex Berinensis was produced in 1148. Notice that it is a very weak conclusion. All we know is that one person who worked on the codex also wrote a letter talking about a plague 1148. To conclude that the codex was written in 1148, we need more info - e.g. was there a plague in another year around that time? what about war or some other disruption? etc

Option (D) says that there was only one outbreak of plague in 1100s. This strengthens the conclusion. Of course, we still cannot establish the conclusion without doubt, but it does strengthen it. Hence (D) is the answer.

VeritasKarishma - I don't know if this is a good argument or if the arguments from GMAT in today's world will match this one. I do not see any option actually strengthening even a little for the following reasons:
Argument has been supported by the premise that the text contains description of plague about 1148, but the text is not dated. Now, the argument does not really makes a differentiation that if 1148 was within the text or not and as much as I understand from the argument, 1148 was mentioned in the document.

Now, even if any other plague existed, it does not matter because document describes about the plague specifically dated at 1148. Just to give more clarity, that I can write about the spanish pandemic flu of 1918 even today, but I may not date the text. And 1000 years later, a GMAT argument will be created on top of it.

I hope I am able to explain the issue here clearly. Thus, I do not see even Option (D) strengthening even a bit.

The argument says this: A letter written by fourth copyist mentions a plague that killed many people in Florence in 1148.

The fourth copyist had written a letter in which he had talked about a plague in 1148.
So even if you write a letter today about the Spanich flu, you will write that it happened in 1918.

Well so it seems that the plague in 1148 could be the reason for disturbance. But there could be other disturbances and one of them could have been the reason for changing copyists. Option (D) tells us that there was no other plague. It increases the probability that this plague of 1148 is the disturbance.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
GMATNinja EducationAisle please could you help me understand the logic of (D) I chose it because the other options just didn't make any sense. But I would like to know how by knowing that only one outbreak took place in 1100s proves that CB was produced in 1148? I mean even if there was another outbreak in 1158 how does it matter?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman medical treati [#permalink]
GMATNinja, EducationAisle, VeritasKarishma, MartyTargetTestPrep

While I am convinced with the reasoning of disturbances (and consequently need of multiple writers) due to an event at particular time/year, I am finding it difficult that same reasoning confirms completion and publication of the text in the same year.
Well, the disturbances could have caused 3 authors to take/try work in same year but how can we know if the fourth one took the project (began working on) in same year? moreover, even we assume that fourth author worked on last 2-10 pages that does NOT necessarily mean text completed in same year. What if fourth author took a day, a month, 2-10 months or 2-10 years to complete (by taking breaks in between)...?

I am unable to understand and this question already ate my day.. :cry:
please help....

Originally posted by TheGraceful on 21 Oct 2021, 10:34.
Last edited by TheGraceful on 22 Oct 2021, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman medical treati [#permalink]
Thanks VeritasKarishma.
So the learning here is to learn the assumption that there was disruption that caused involved multiple authors AND work was continued AND published as soon as it was completed.

VeritasKarishma wrote:
TheGraceful wrote:
GMATNinja, EducationAisle, VeritasKarishma, MartyTargetTestPrep

While I am convinced with the reasoning of disturbances (and consequently need of multiple writers) due to an event at particular time/year, I am finding it difficult that same reasoning confirms completion and publication of the text in the same year.
Well, the disturbances could have caused 3 authors to take/try work in same year but how can we know if the fourth one took the project (began working on) in same year? moreover, even we assume that fourth author worked on last 2-10 pages that does NOT necessarily mean text completed in same year. What if fourth author took a day, a month, 2-10 months or 2-10 years to complete (by taking breaks in between)...?

I am unable to understand and this question already ate by day.. :cry:
please help....

It is a weak argument. We have little data to support our conclusion. We are asked to provide additional data to support it. Note that we are not asked to provide data to establish the conclusion - only support it a bit more.
There was a plague in 1148. The fourth copyist wrote it in a letter. So there was a major disruption in 1148. That could explain frequent change of copyists. So the treatise could have been under production in 1148. That is why new copyists could have been needed every so often.
But this is just a hypothesis.

We need more data to establish it. What kind of data?
- there was no other plague around that time (say 50 yrs before and after)
- there was no war around that time
- there was no natural calamity at that time
- Normally only one copyist was maintained if it was possible to.
etc.

We are a long way away from establishing the conclusion.
All we are looking for is some more support for it.

Option (D) supports it a bit. So it is correct.
Director
Director
Send PM
IanStewart MartyTargetTestPrep KarishmaB thank you for your posts. You guys made me feel confident to realize that this argument is weak and I am not the only one who finds ALL the choices weak. I was confused between (B) and (D) for the reasons mentioned above (and covered by) your posts. However, I still have one major doubt.

Argument:
    - CB is a copy of a Roman medical treatise.
    - It is a 100-page copy. 80 pages were by a single copyist while the remaining 20 were by 3 different copyists.
    - 80 by 1 and 20 by 3 indicates some significant disruption
    - A letter by the last copyist mentions a plague that killed many people in 1148

Conclusion: CB was produced in 1148

Question: If the plague was in 1148 then Shouldn't the final work be produced in a year when there is no plague? or at least when things settle down?

Please could you help me understand how can one, in any possible way, conclude that CB can be produced in a year when a disaster strikes?

Thanks in advance
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9245 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
Question: If the plague was in 1148 then Shouldn't the final work be produced in a year when there is no plague? or at least when things settle down?

Please could you help me understand how can one, in any possible way, conclude that CB can be produced in a year when a disaster strikes?

One question becomes: what was going on with the last three copyists? They were only copying 20 pages, which doesn't seem like much work, but the first copyist was replaced by someone else, then that one was replaced by yet another person. Why didn't one copyist just do all 20 pages? If each copyist could only do about seven pages and then needed to stop, that suggests they were working on the manuscript during a very unsettled period.

The fact that one copyist stopped after 80 pages isn't evidence of much of anything -- that could happen for all kinds of reasons. It's the fact that so many copyists started and stopped working on the last 20 pages of the document that tells us that something, like a war or plague, might have been constantly disrupting their work (and it also suggests that they tried to work on the copying while that disruption was happening).
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
IanStewart MartyTargetTestPrep KarishmaB thank you for your posts. You guys made me feel confident to realize that this argument is weak and I am not the only one who finds ALL the choices weak. I was confused between (B) and (D) for the reasons mentioned above (and covered by) your posts. However, I still have one major doubt.

Argument:
    - It is a 100-page copy. 80 pages were by a single copyist while the remaining 20 were by 3 different copyists.
    - A letter by the last copyist mentions a plague that killed many people in 1148

Thanks in advance

Hoozan, here is how I thought about it:

80 pages were written by one person. So its not like the treatise was such that it needed to be written by different people. Then when last 20 pages were left, another person started writing. He left after 5 pages, another person started writing. He left after 7 pages and again another person started.
Why? There must have been some upheaval.

As for your question, as you know we are living in covid times. But does life stop? No, we keep working as we can. If one person gets sick, another takes up his work. Are we waiting for covid to go away before completing any projects we might have started? No.
So it is not reasonable to assume that it could not have been produced in times of upheaval. In fact, it looks like it has been produced in difficult times with copyists changing ever so often.
Director
Director
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
Hoozan wrote:

Argument:

Thanks in advance

Hoozan, here is how I thought about it:

80 pages were written by one person. So its not like the treatise was such that it needed to be written by different people. Then when last 20 pages were left, another person started writing. He left after 5 pages, another person started writing. He left after 7 pages and again another person started.
Why? There must have been some upheaval.

As for your question, as you know we are living in covid times. But does life stop? No, we keep working as we can. If one person gets sick, another takes up his work. Are we waiting for covid to go away before completing any projects we might have started? No.
So it is not reasonable to assume that it could not have been produced in times of upheaval. In fact, it looks like it has been produced in difficult times with copyists changing ever so often.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks KarishmaB :)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
gurpreet07 wrote:
Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman medical treatise , is undated but contains clues to when it was produced. Its first 80 pages are by a single copyist, but the remaining 20 pages are by three different copyists, which indicates some significant disruption. Since a letter in handwriting identified as that of the fourth copyist mentions a plague that killed many people in Florence in 1148, Codex Berinensis was probably produced in that year.

I was between (B) and (D) but it's clear that (D) is the right answer - per below.

(A) Other than Codex Berinensis, there are no known samples of the handwriting of the first three copyists.

(B) According to the account by the fourth copyist, the plague went on for 10 months.

Let's say that the plague went on for 20 years. THIS DOESN'T CHANGE OUR ARGUMENT. The author states that "a plague that killed many people in Florence in 1148)." Even if the plague went on from 1140-1160, 1148 was the year that plague killed many people, and therefore, caused the "significant disruption" that logically explains why CB needed 4 different copyists. Therefore, (B) is out. ALWAYS go back to the argument and check when in doubt.

(C) A scribe would be able to copy a page of text the size and style of Codex Berinensis in a day.

(D) There was only one outbreak of plague in Florence in the 1100s.

Let's say that there were more than one outbreak. One in 1100, 1120, 1148, and 1160. We already know the one that outbroke in 1148 killed many people, but what about other outbreaks? They also could've killed many people - and if they did, this certainly weakens our argument. By getting rid of this possibility, (D) strengthens the argument. The difference between (B) and (D) is no matter how you stretch (B), its scope is within ONE plague, the same one mentioned in the argument vs. (D) that goes beyond the plague mentioned in the argument - and can raise a lot of questions about the author's conclusion

(E) The number of pages of Codex Berinensis produced by a single scribe becomes smaller with each successive change of copyist.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V43
Send PM
A: neither strengthens nor weakens, irrelevant
B: length of the plague is irrelevant
C: only shows that other copyists took about 20 days to complete but it is irrelevant to the disruption caused by the plague
E: Similar to Option C just talks about copyists' output but there might be reasons other than the disruption caused by a plague for that output
D: BEST CHOICE
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Send PM
The passage suggests that the Codex Berinensis was likely produced in 1148 due to clues such as the different copyists and a letter mentioning a plague in Florence that year. We need to identify the option that strongly supports the hypothesis that Codex Berinensis was produced in 1148.

Option (A) states that there are no known samples of the handwriting of the first three copyists other than what is found in Codex Berinensis. This information does not directly support the hypothesis that the Codex Berinensis was produced in 1148.

Option (B) mentions that according to the fourth copyist, the plague lasted for 10 months. While this provides information about the duration of the plague, it does not directly support the hypothesis regarding the production date of Codex Berinensis.

Option (C) states that a scribe would be able to copy a page of text similar to Codex Berinensis in a day. While this provides information about the speed of copying, it doesn't specifically support the hypothesis of the Codex Berinensis being produced in 1148.

Option (D), the correct answer, states that there was only one outbreak of the plague in Florence in the 1100s. This information strongly supports the hypothesis that Codex Berinensis was produced in 1148 since the letter mentioned in the passage refers to a plague outbreak in that year.

Option (E) mentions that the number of pages produced by a single scribe becomes smaller with each successive change of copyist. While this information provides insight into the division of work among the copyists, it doesn't directly support the hypothesis regarding the production date of Codex Berinensis.

In conclusion, option (D) is the statement that most strongly supports the hypothesis that Codex Berinensis was produced in 1148 since it confirms that there was only one outbreak of the plague in Florence during the 1100s, as mentioned in the letter connected to the Codex.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
KarishmaB this is not clear. If the plague was in 1101 then how could they mention about a future plague in 1148 in the copy so not sure how the plague in 1101 do anything? EducationAisle

KarishmaB wrote:
Pankaj1Agarwal wrote:
VeritasKarishma Bunuel MartyTargetTestPrep daagh sayantanc2k GMATNinja

It is expressly mentioned that "plague that killed many people in Florence in 1148" then why year is an issue in the question.

The question is not whether the plague hit in 1148 - it is whether Codex Berinensis was written in 1148.
The last 20 pages of Codex Berinensis were written by 3 different people. This shows some upheaval. The fourth writer had written a letter in which he mentioned a plague in 1148. The plague could be the upheaval - perhaps that is why people writing it kept changing. But this is just a conjecture. What if there was a plague in 1101 too and Codex Berinensis was written in that year and that had caused the upheaval. Or what if there was a war in 1120 in which many people were killed and that was the upheaval that caused frequent copyist change?
Option (D) narrows the possibilities. If there was only one plague (and that was in 1148), it increases the chances that it was the cause of upheaval.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
avigutman KarishmaB egmat @verbalexperts GMATNinja does produced refer to published date or year when it started being created?
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
avigutman KarishmaB egmat @verbalexperts GMATNinja does produced refer to published date or year when it started being created?

'produced' means 'written (by hand)' here. Considering it is a small book, the author is implying that it was written in a single year. There is no mention of publishing etc.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
gurpreet07 wrote:
Codex Berinensis, a Florentine copy of an ancient Roman medical treatise , is undated but contains clues to when it was produced. Its first 80 pages are by a single copyist, but the remaining 20 pages are by three different copyists, which indicates some significant disruption. Since a letter in handwriting identified as that of the fourth copyist mentions a plague that killed many people in Florence in 1148, Codex Berinensis was probably produced in that year.

(A) Other than Codex Berinensis, there are no known samples of the handwriting of the first three copyists.

(B) According to the account by the fourth copyist, the plague went on for 10 months.

(C) A scribe would be able to copy a page of text the size and style of Codex Berinensis in a day.

(D) There was only one outbreak of plague in Florence in the 1100s.

(E) The number of pages of Codex Berinensis produced by a single scribe becomes smaller with each successive change of copyist.

Check out the video solution to this problem here:

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts