Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [5]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [6]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.36
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]

Send PM
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
manass wrote:
can someone please explain q5

Quote:
5. According to the passage, comparable worth principles are different in which of the following ways from other mandates intended to reduce or eliminate pay inequities?

In the last paragraph of the passage, the author explains the differences between comparable worth and "other mandates" (i.e., the Equal Pay Act of 1963 and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964). He/she says that comparable worth:

• is "more comprehensive" than the other mandates
  • "compares tasks in dissimilar jobs," which the other mandates do not
  • quantifies the "dollar value to the employer" of these dissimilar jobs.

Clearly, the main difference between comparable worth principles and other mandates is the treatment of dissimilar jobs -- the comparable worth principle compares these jobs to one another and quantifies their worth to the employer.

In looking through the answer choices, each one can be eliminated except for (E):
Quote:
E. Comparable worth principles can be used to quantify the value of elements of dissimilar jobs

(E) fits nicely into our analysis, and is the only answer choice supported by the passage. (E) is the correct answer to question #5.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay [#permalink]
5. It can be inferred from the passage that application of "other mandates" (see highlighted text) would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees in which of the following situations?

Why B? Aren't we suppose to consider different job roles basis other mandates?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Vigya wrote:
5. It can be inferred from the passage that application of "other mandates" (see highlighted text) would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees in which of the following situations?

Why B? Aren't we suppose to consider different job roles basis other mandates?

Hi Vigya,

Please refer this link for question 5:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/comparable-w ... l#p1833662

Let me know if you still have doubts.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
KyleWiddison wrote:
RC is a matter of process and practice. Your first read needs to be "complete". By complete I don't mean that you understand every bit of the passage and have all parts perfectly stored in your short term memory. You should have a really good sense of the main point of the passage and the sub-points as well. You should have a good feel of the location of key elements of the passage. In short, after your first read you should be able to answer general questions about the passage (main point, author would agree with, etc.) without having to look back at the passage and you should know where to go back to re-read (in more depth) the passage to answer specific detail and inference questions. This first read should be 3-5 minutes. You have to focus on structure, not details, to hit this time.

Practice RC passages consistently as you go through the other GMAT areas.

KW

what's the difficulty level of this passage? I got them all right within a decent time so just wondering where would this lie in the real GMAT test
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32941 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhishekkatochh7 wrote:

what's the difficulty level of this passage? I got them all right within a decent time so just wondering where would this lie in the real GMAT test

This is a medium level (600-650) passage.

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi, GMATNinja

In your explanation of this question,

Quote:
1. Which of the following most accurately states the central purpose of the passage?

I am still not convinced why B is correct. I understand how D (the option I chose) can be eliminated. I'd like you to take a look at my reasoning.

Quote:
B. To assess the significance of a change in policy

The policy refers to comparable worth. But where is "a change" in this policy mentioned?
Additionally, the second paragraph only describes a question: Are gains achieved through comparable worth long-lasting or temporary? Sure, this is a significance, but it is a significance of comparable worth itself, NOT of a change in comparable worth.

It would be helpful to get your response! Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 1

dingodudesir wrote:
Hi, GMATNinja

In your explanation of this question,

Quote:
1. Which of the following most accurately states the central purpose of the passage?

I am still not convinced why B is correct. I understand how D (the option I chose) can be eliminated. I'd like you to take a look at my reasoning.

Quote:
B. To assess the significance of a change in policy

The policy refers to comparable worth. But where is "a change" in this policy mentioned?
Additionally, the second paragraph only describes a question: Are gains achieved through comparable worth long-lasting or temporary? Sure, this is a significance, but it is a significance of comparable worth itself, NOT of a change in comparable worth.

It would be helpful to get your response! Thanks in advance!

The "change in policy" is the shift to using comparable worth instead of some other policy. Take a look at this sentence from the first paragraph:

"In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so."

The passage doesn't investigate at the significance of a change WITHIN the concept of comparable worth. Instead, it explores the significance of changing FROM some other policy TO comparable worth. The central question in the passage is whether the impact of implementing comparable worth policies is temporary or long-lasting. Thus, (B) captures the author's primary concern: "to assess the significance of a change in policy."

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Can anyone explain why in Q2 E. is the correct answer instead of B.?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay [#permalink]
abhishektyga wrote:
Can anyone explain why in Q2 E. is the correct answer instead of B.?

Hi abhishektyga,

The answer to Question is option B and not option E. You can also refer to the expert reply here for option B:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/comparable-worth-as-a-standard-applied-to-eliminate-inequities-in-pay-132718.html#p1374654

Let us know if you have any other doubts.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Comparable worth, as a standard applied to eliminate inequities in pay [#permalink]
Kudos
1. According to the passage, which of the following is true of comparable worth as a policy?

(A) Comparable worth policy decisions in pay-inequity cases have often failed to satisfy the complaints. P3 other mandates that can be applied to reduce or eliminate unjustified pay gaps between male and female workers have not remedied perceived pay inequities satisfactorily for the litigants in cases in which men and women hold different jobs.

(B) Comparable worth policies have been applied to both public-sector and private-sector employee pay schedules correct.

(C) Comparable worth as a policy has come to be widely criticized in the past decade. P1 states: this approach has become a critical social policy issue. Not critized.

(D) Many employers have considered comparable worth as a policy but very few have actually adopted is. P1 states: this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so

(E) Early implementations of comparable worth policies resulted in only transitory gains in pay equity. Nothing was stated in the passage about early implementation
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 239
GMAT Focus 1:
615 Q79 V83 DI79
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja, KarishmaB

Could you please help here and explain 5th question (5. It can be inferred from the passage that application of "other mandates" (see highlighted text) would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees in which of the following situations?)

I always get stuck in all such questions, where they mention things like unlikely, could you please help me here? How I can tackle all such questions.

Thanks in Advance
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64934 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AnkurGMAT20 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja, KarishmaB

Could you please help here and explain 5th question (5. It can be inferred from the passage that application of "other mandates" (see highlighted text) would be unlikely to result in an outcome satisfactory to the female employees in which of the following situations?)

I always get stuck in all such questions, where they mention things like unlikely, could you please help me here? How I can tackle all such questions.

Thanks in Advance

I. Males employed as long-distance truck drivers for a furniture company make $3.50 more per hour than do females with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity.

II. Women working in the office of a cement company contend that their jobs are as demanding and valuable as those of the men working in the cement factory, but the women are paid much less per hour.

III. A law firm employs both male and female paralegals with the same educational and career backgrounds, but the starting salary for male paralegals is $5,000 more than for female paralegals.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I and III only

First let's understand what "other mandates" are.

Notice this:
Because of the principles driving them, other mandates that can be applied to reduce or eliminate unjustified pay gaps between male and female workers have not remedied perceived pay inequities satisfactorily for the litigants in cases in which men and women hold different jobs. But whenever comparable worth principles are applied to pay schedules, perceived unjustified pay differences are eliminated.

Other mandates, because of their different principles (different from principle of comparable worth), have not remedied inequities when men and women hold different jobs.

So if "other mandates" are applied in situations where men and women hold different jobs, they will not lead to satisfactory result.

I. Males employed as long-distance truck drivers for a furniture company make $3.50 more per hour than do females with comparable job experience employed in the same capacity.

Both males & females have same jobs here. So other mandates should work.

II. Women working in the office of a cement company contend that their jobs are as demanding and valuable as those of the men working in the cement factory, but the women are paid much less per hour.

Here, they are both working in the same company but they may have different profiles. So other mandates may not work.

III. A law firm employs both male and female paralegals with the same educational and career backgrounds, but the starting salary for male paralegals is $5,000 more than for female paralegals.

Here, both are paralegals so other mandates will work.

Hence, only in (II), other mandates may not work.

Answer (B)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
The "change in policy" is the shift to using comparable worth instead of some other policy. Take a look at this sentence from the first paragraph:

"In the last decade, this approach has become a critical social policy issue, as large numbers of private-sector firms and industries as well as federal, state, and local governmental entities have adopted comparable worth policies or begun to consider doing so."

The passage doesn't investigate at the significance of a change WITHIN the concept of comparable worth....Instead, it explores the significance of changing FROM some other policy TO comparable worth. The central question in the passage is whether the impact of implementing comparable worth policies is temporary or long-lasting. Thus, (B) captures the author's primary concern: "to assess the significance of a change in policy."

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja - per the yellow, you mention the yellow is the central message of the passage

I dont see how that in the yellow, is the central message AT ALL.

Instead i thought the central message was
-- "WHY" - I, the author, think comparable worth IS precedent-setting

The author is instead "justifying" his response to why he, the author, believes that Comparable worth is precedent-setting

Thus, the word 'asesssing' is wrong i thought

'Assessing' means - review / investigate / analyze -- 'assessing', does not mean - coming to any conclusion i thought

The author has gone beyond 'assessing' -- he has COME TO A CONCLUSION and is justifying his conclusion

Thus i eliminated B, because the author is not primarily 'assessing'

He is primarily giving us his conclusion and 'justifying' / 'defending' his conclusion

Thoughts ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [2]

Send PM
Kudos