GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2019, 06:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Cornell VS LBS (+EU top tier BSs like INSEAD, IMD Lausanne, etc.)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Cox '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.2
Cornell VS LBS (+EU top tier BSs like INSEAD, IMD Lausanne, etc.)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2019, 00:02
Dear fellow students, admission consultants and anyone who is there to share their knowledge and opinions to push each other a step closer to their goals.
I have been looong waiting for my profile to become one of an MBA applicant and you very well know how much effort, time, nerve and luck it requires just to get to the point where you are eligible for Ivy League MBA programs.

Next year, I am planning to apply for either Johnson's MBA, LBS's MBA or any other European top tier MBA programs (Like HEC, Mannheim, Imperial, IMD Lausanne, etc.).
"The huge amount of time-consuming" researches about the Business schools did not really get me a compelling conclusion about what's better and what's worse. So I am asking you for some information, facts, anything that will clear my head from chaos.

To make sure you understand my question I will give you my bio in short.
==> 23 years old Caucasian, GMAT 690, GPA 3.2, 3 years of WE in financial consulting. (and I know the first thing that crossed your mind is that I have rather average profile (maybe not good enough for top tier MBA's) but please omit that part in your responses and just help me to see vividly the pros and cons of the already mentioned business schools).

I come from a developing country with poor prospects and high unemployment rate, what's worse is that average monthly salary is about 300$. Thus, my ultimate goal and a big concern is that after completing the MBA I HAVE to stay in the States, or wherever I do the degree. Otherwise, (in case I will have to return to my home country) the investment I am about to make will simply turn out to be the waste of money. So, I am asking you to help me decide which direction should I aim for. I was anticipating that Cornell would be a good choice and a goal to aim for (in case I manage to get in), but also thought about the risks I may encounter after I complete the degree. With the risks I mean not managing to get a job after the MBA and having to come back to my country.

Of course there is no such thing as being 100% sure of getting employed right after the graduation, but you can recommend me the schools that mostly guarantees a student with a decent job, you also can get me some insights about the BSs and certain cities that would help me to make a right choice.

Thanks in advance, every word from you means a world to me.
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Cornell VS LBS (+EU top tier BSs like INSEAD, IMD Lausanne, etc.)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2019, 07:55
Hi RandomStudent,

Thank you for your post. It sounds like you're focused more here on school opinions than a profile review. The MBA universe is vast, and I agree that it can be difficult to wrap your arms around all of the different elements in order to drive toward a decision. At the same time, and for all of the various issues that exist with MBA rankings, you can usually point to them as directionally reliable when it comes to how strong your post-MBA prospects would be were you to graduate from a certain program (though still evaluate in context of your specific industry and geographic interests).

For example, pushing exact industries and countries aside for a moment, LBS is generally going to offer the strongest post-MBA prospects, followed by the likes of IMD and HEC Paris, then Mannheim and Imperial. But again, you should really be thinking about industry and country when evaluating these, as those factors will impact which school potentially holds more post-MBA value than the other(s). Comparing U.S. programs to international programs can be a little trickier, which does make a specific "Cornell versus LBS" analysis more difficult. Poets and Quants has done a "Global MBA Rankings Mashup" (Financial Times, Economist, Bloomberg BusinessWeek) that placed Cornell #12 and LBS #17, but I would take that with a grain of salt. After all, Cornell typically ranks somewhere in the #15/16 range within the U.S. itself, and I'd argue that LBS has a stronger global business school brand that would create more opportunities in most places and markets outside of the U.S.

While this makes for some fun and interesting "rankings" dialogue, my advice would be that you should not even stress about comparing the schools or "deciding between them" at this point. I'd lend more consideration and analysis to "Europe versus the U.S.," which offers the more viable post-MBA sponsorship path, and where exactly you want to end up. You're early in your career, both schools are difficult to get into (all of these are tough!), and most applicants would be blessed to one-day have to decide between the two. So if you are really really drawn to these schools, put forth your best efforts in your applications, and then hope you have to make a difficult decision later on. If and when you do so, research the employment reports, speak to current students and alumni in the industry you're interested in (and evaluate the schools in context of that industry strength too), and consider other geopolitical factors like ease of securing post-MBA visa sponsorship, which has been of increasing concern in the U.S. but is worth paying attention to with respect to Brexit in the U.K.

I wish you the best of luck!!

Kind Regards,
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
GMAT Club Bot
Cornell VS LBS (+EU top tier BSs like INSEAD, IMD Lausanne, etc.)   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2019, 07:55

Cornell VS LBS (+EU top tier BSs like INSEAD, IMD Lausanne, etc.)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep