Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Re: Current Student Blogs [#permalink]
FROM uwengdori - Current Student: more than half of summer passed
I just realized that I actually didn’t write anything in my blog for past 2 months at least. So why not a quick update before I forget again lol.

Is summer as a MBA student any different from when you were in undergrad?

mmmm to be honest, it doesn’t really matter to me as I am from engineering co-op undergrad major with no concept of summer vacation, but it is definitely time when you can readjust your pacing and think about what you want to do. This could be my first and the last official long break in my twenties probably.

What have you been doing?

A picture it worth thousand words. here it goes.

summer intensive course (2 wks of intensive lectures and hw entire day).  that’s one less course for me in 2015-2016.

concert.

chill w my favorite buddies

lift without much cardio (recently started that as well)

old school gaming out of nowhere

broken chair

eat

broken tablet which got worse after A/S.

summer internship at a startup

let me just mention eat one more time

visit different school

organizing youth science class

ok more concert

preparing to go to China for school research

all of this in Toronto

Phew

I do think maybe I’m doing too much stuff, but at least it’s keeping me busy.

I honestly can’t believe that there are less than two months before I get to go back to school…and of course the fulltime job.  lot of thoughts, lot of thoughts.

at least let me forget all about this today and think again tomorrow.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Send PM
FROM Ambitiousbusinessguy: My Booth Essay
Booth allows you flexibility to communicate in whatever way you see fit.  That means you can write yet another boring admissions essay or get creative and submit a poem, infographic, or visual essay. I decide to take advantage of this flexibility and use a medium I use everyday, PowerPoint.

My essay, below, got me a interview at Booth and ultimately landed me a spot on the waitlist (which I chose to reject). I believe Booth and I came to a mutual understanding that my perfect fit would be elsewhere, but that doesn’t change that I had more fun creating this essay than any other.

Chicago Booth values adventurous inquiry, diverse perspectives, and a collaborative exchange of ideas.  This is us.  Who are you?

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Ambitiousbusinessguy: I need your help!
Hey Everyone,

I am launching a new venture focused on helping others get into the business school of their dreams.  If you are planning to or have recently applied to business school, it would really help me out if you answered these 9 questions.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/753VKM2

Thanks!

Dave

SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Live Q&A: MBA admissions part two

In the second part of our live series with guest expert Chioma Isiadinso, co-founder of consultancy Expartus and former admissions officer at Harvard Business School, we continue answering questions submitted by students interested in applying to business school.

Join in on Thursday, 16th July 2015, between 2pm and 3pm BST. To submit questions, email ask@ft.com or use the right-hand side of this post.

Read the first round of advice from Chioma here .

Read more
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD: Prodigy Finance
Prodigy finance just made my life easier. The application process was simple, fast and thorough. The staff were very helpful and as I had my Swiss residence permit interview yesterday, they worked hard to get me the sanction letter by 15th of July.
It’s a definite recommendation for anyone looking for a loan for doing an MBA, especially the Indian students, considering the high rate of interest for education loan in India.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua): MBA Internship Final Presentation Tips
Last year at this time I was an MBA intern preparing for my final internship presentation. The internship was the first time I ever worked in a real business setting and I had never given a real business presentation before (the Duke MBA did give me tons of practice, though!). After my presentation I wrote this blog post to highlight some of my key learnings so future MBA interns can benefit. These tips are based on my experience during the final project presentations and hope they will help as you plan yours.
Continue reading »
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.48
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
FROM j2insead: Accepted! Fonty! 16D!
The wait has finally ended.

I received the call this morning from my AO and I really cannot describe how I felt.

Happy? Ecstatic? Excited? YES!!!

I have been admitted to INSEAD and that is all that matters at the moment.

Would think about funding tomorrow, but for now I am celebrating with the “shakiti bobo” dance steps.

Enjoy the video by one of Nigeria’s best rappers…

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.48
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
FROM j2insead: Checklist!!!
Heck! I thought the application process was daunting. Now that the excitement has mellowed a bit, it’s time to start ticking the boxes on my B-School Checklist. Things seem to be moving so fast and time has become even more valuable. A few things I need to do:

• Pay my first tuition deposit…Still working on that
  • Start an early search for housing- Already losing sleep over this (Villa OR studio, close to campus OR farther away)
  • Complete an external scholarship application- Finally received a hard-copy of my offer letter so I can get this done ASAP
  • Complete my Prodigy Loan Application- Once I make my first tuition deposit
  • Gather my visa application documents- Whew! Not again…done this many times within the past year
  • Prepare to meet the language requirement- Need to shoot an email to my admissions officer. Some clarity needed here
  • Secure cheap flight options- Still deciding how to do this. One way tickets are wayyyyyyyyyyy too expensive. Plan to start in FBL and end in SGP.
  • Prepare my exit plan from work- Hehehe…tough conversations need to happen. My boss is still oblivious of my MBA plans. Would need to talk about it soon-in a couple of months.
  • Decide on getting a car- Depends on (2) above. I would really love to stay at Tavers and experience the social life at INSEAD to the full.
  • Review my finances again and make necessary adjustments to savings and lifestyle- Might need to save a few more bucks for INSEAD travels. At this point, I am game for a trip to anywhere on planet earth.
  • Plan, Review, Execute, Review, Execute….
Well, this is another phase in the journey and I cannot wait to be over it. The 16D Admits group on https://gmatclub.com/chat has been agog with activities and I have engaged with some really amazing folks. INSEAD is truly the business school for the world.

Time to get off work. Counting down to my final day here and boy, it feels sooooo good! Enjoy the video below by James Brown. I FEEL GOOD!!!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
FROM mybjourney: Acing the Argument Analysis
I have been approached a number of times recently with GMAT aspirants asking for the best strategy to score well in the AWA section. I admit I did not invest much time in this section during my GMAT preparation, which in itself was pretty hurried with. I would read few sample argument essays to get a gist of how the essays should be structured, but that was it. But towards the end of my preparation, it started to worry me that I had ignored the section completely. Was I getting too overconfident? I do not know. I wanted to focus on my weak areas more, but felt it was pertinent to read from the experience of previous test takers as to what a strong argument looks like.

Research on net on sample AWA led me to this post on GMATClub. A test taker had shared his strategy a few years back, which has now been popularly known as ‘chineseburned method’, after this username! I found it extremely resourceful and practiced a couple of times during the week before the test. I would also get my write-up reviewed by my friends who had taken the GMAT earlier.

Below is a brilliant infographic of the same, for easy reference. Take a print out and stick it on your desk for quick recap when you are taking a break from your prep!

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with the template / chineseburned, nor have been asked by anyone to endorse the same. I found it extremely helpful during my preparation and want to share with others.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM mybjourney: 100 days
That is exactly the number of days before the orientation for MBA class of 2016 begins at Oxford. Hell yeah! It’s all been happening so fast I’m sure these 100 days are also going to fly past in a jiffy. Before I know I’ll be walking through the gates of the hallowed institution with a dazed look and nervous footsteps, towards what shall be my abode for the next year and a brand for the rest of my life. Where I’ll step in with the fire to learn and from where I’ll walk out empowered to take on the bigger challenges. Sounds like kindergarten all over again, ain’t it? 

Melodrama aside, my plan for the next 100 days is to practically do nothing, and yet, there’s quite a lot to do still. I’ve moved back to my hometown, all my 4 years of stuff from Bangalore packed in boxes and stashed aside. Soon after I arrived, we drove to Kashmir, to our ancestral place and farmhouse. In the coming weeks I’ll be going through the mails and newsletters from SBS and also get started on documents needed for visa application. In the meantime, I also need to submit Financial Declaration to the school, only after which will they send across the CAS. CAS is needed to apply for student visa, I shall be writing in detail about visa application soon. 

Every single person I’ve interacted with lately has been telling me about how I’m never getting this free time ever again in life and how I should make the most of it – by basically relaxing. Speaking with current and former students I gather that there is not much to fret over the course work, which will be manageable in the campus and that I need not worry about that before the term begins. However the school has put up a list of recommended readings and a couple of mandatory pre-arrival formalities to be completed, which I shall need to go through. Top on the list is working on my CV and researching on what a good cover letter looks like. School’s career centre is also conducting a series of Webinars over the coming weeks to give an introduction into various career options and job application advice. I am looking forward to these sessions since currently I’m in a dilemma about my career progression ( I want to stay in the industry but that’s that ). 

But more than everything else, I am looking forward to spending my time with family and catching up on novels and movies, after so long. I think this is going to be my longest time spent at home since 2007 when I moved to my undergrad hostel. 

So here I am, sitting over this view from my patio, soaking in the lull before the storm!

SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Internship in California
Marta Szczerba makes the use of the app store in Palo Alto

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: How to evaluate your MBA professors
Timo Marquez argues class content is the most vital part of your investment

Read more
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM mybjourney: Accommodation, Tickets: Check
My lovely brother booked the flight tickets for this jobless broke girl. God bless elder siblings!

I’ll be landing to Heathrow in early September with my parents and we shall spend a couple of weeks at my brother’s place, before I head off for Oxford on September 20th (oritentation starts on 21st). The entire family will be together after over a year and we are quite excited. If my brother’s work schedule permits him some days off, we will make a short trip too. Cannot wait!

Signed my accommodation contract and sent it across to the college accommodation today. Rewley Abbey Court, with a distance of just about 200 mts from Saïd is going to be my abode for the next one year.

One upside of getting admitted early on in the admissions cycle is that you have ample options to choose from to secure college and accommodation. With GTC ( Green Templeton College ) being my first choice and a safe one for MBA students, there were enough on-site and off-campus accommodation options available. I wanted to stay as close to the school as possible, so that its easier to reach the school quickly in case I am running late. A long sleepy walk / ride to the school in sub zero temperatures during school is the last thing I want to worry about. And with the few extra minutes that I would save, I can always make use in grabbing some soon-to-be-a-rare-luxury sleep. ;)

The downside being that this is off the college premises, again limiting interaction with non-MBA scholars. Also that I didn’t have option for an ensuite room in shared flats at RAC. Having lived in an undergraduate hostel with 20 girls in my corridor with only a handful of washrooms to share with, I am prepared to live with anything!

I’ll be sharing a 2 BHK flat with a batchmate from India. We both are in touch over messages and she seems really nice. We both are excited and have been discussing on what all we will need to buy once we are there, mainly kitchen and utility items. The accommodation includes cooker and refrigerator, but would need to set up rest of the kitchen. The accommodation license has an elaborate instruction list on what is allowed and what is not in the flat. I will go through it in detail soon, specially for the electric and electronic items. Regardless, a couple of  will be pertinent to carry.

For those interested, there is a video of the 2BHK RAC flat on YouTube by Nick, the accommodation manager. This was immensely helpful for me before putting forth my application for accommodation with my preferred choice.

So with arrangements for accommodation and travel made, I need to get started on my Visa application asap!

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Ambitiousbusinessguy: The business schools winning the student talent wars

Originally posted on Fortune:

(Poets&Quants) — Every year, the world’s top business schools engage in an all-out talent war for the best MBA applicants on the market. To coax the most desirable prospects to their campuses, they’ve employed alumni to serve as ambassadors, touted their programs and faculty, and used millions of dollars in scholarship money.

So, who’s winning the MBA student talent wars? A new survey of MBA admission consultants by Poets&Quants finds some very familiar business schools at the top, with some real surprises sprinkled throughout the list. Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business ekes out a slight win over Harvard Business School, while the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School is solidly third.

Perhaps more surprising is that admission consultants believe that two non-U.S. business schools, INSEAD and London Business School, are among the top 10 in the world for landing the best candidates in the MBA applicant pool. In…

View original 1,336 more words

SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Live Q&A: MBA admissions part three

In the third part of our live series with guest expert Chioma Isiadinso, co-founder of consultancy Expartus and former admissions officer at Harvard Business School, we continue answering questions submitted by students interested in applying to business school.

Join in on Thursday, 23rd July 2015, between 2pm and 3pm BST. To submit questions, email ask@ft.com or use the right-hand side of this post.

Other posts in the series:

Part one

Part two

Read more
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Ambitiousbusinessguy: The MBA Job Market in US – On-campus recruiting is up

Originally posted on Job Market Monitor:

74% of respondents experienced increased on-campus recruiting this year compared to the same time last year; 11% experienced a decrease.

The strongest increase in recruiting activity was seen in the Consulting industry.

MBA CSEA surveys our school members twice per year to gauge the status of MBA recruiting at their schools compared to the previous year. The results are a glimpse into the current status of the MBA employment market and can be used for comparision and reports to interested stakeholders.

Chosen excerpts by Job Market Monitor. Read the whole story at MBACSEA.

View original

SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Summer delights
Philippa Rock makes the most of her free time in Alaska and the US

Read more
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22  ...  44   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts