Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 17:49 It is currently 03 May 2024, 17:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [14]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [1]
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1241 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Debrief - 710 (A 70-point improvement) [#permalink]
Hi Lucy Phuong

Let me grab on privilege on being the first to congratulate
on your GMAT journey. (please excuse usage of being if incorrectly used :lol: )

I met you in one of the verbal chats and as rightly mentioned by GMATNinja
you had brilliant knack of attacking SC / CR questions. You in fact reduced lots of
loads on experts by posting your comments to various queries posted in verbal forum

Can you elaborate a bit detail on below points:
a. What change in approach / strategy led to you to this score jump?
Your views especially in Verbal shall help others out. Any specific reading habits
you would like to advocate for aspirants aiming to score 700+
b. We all usually face distractions of some or other sort during our GMAT journey.
How did you motivate yourself to stay on track in terms of discipline and putting in
diligent study hours, especially after seeing 'not expected' GMAT exam 1 score.
c. Did I understand correctly that you bought GMAC EP1 (2 mocks) before first actual
attempt of GMAT and GMAC EP2 (2 mocks) before second actual
attempt of GMAT? If one is not sure to crack GMAT in first attempt, does it make sense
to hold GMAT EP2 before second attempt? Did you not buy QP at all from GMAC?
d. Your take on skipping practices while seeing TAG as GMAT PREP to not see inflated scores
after purchase of official resources from GMAC?

Once again heartiest congratulations on your sweet journey to success and all the best
for your admissions !!
It's a definitely a battle hard fought and won in end for you, I guess.

WR,
Arpit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 207
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q163 V154
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Congratulations! :-D That's a good score!
Yes, you are familiar to most of us! I followed you when GMATNinja mentioned you in one of the wednesday chat! And could he be more right!?! Your comments do help people like us.

I need to improve from 650 to 720+. And need RC (which pulled my score down in first exam) to improve. How to improve on RC is still unsolved question-even in Souvik's and GMATNinja's guides to RC. Strategy is set-reading the passage without skimming. But when it comes down to answering, there are always 2 options which are close as hell.
    How did you practise RC and from where?

How did you decide on section order? I am thinking of Verbal first. I think my drop of 60 points from my mocks to GMAT (had been scoring 710 in all of my mocks) is due to mental fatigue which I didn't felt at the time of test. Took Veritas CAT this way (V-Q-IR-AWA) few days back and scored 690 V34 (yes got 1 complete RC wrong-that's 4 questions!). Don't want to waste CATs on trying out section orders. Did you try out different section orders before selecting one?

Which schools and programs are you targeting, what is your post-MBA goal, and are you thinking of hiring an admission consultant?

I do read your posts, whatever I get in "Daily Follow Summary", as and when time permits. You are good! :)
Good Luck with the applications! And congratulations! :woohoo
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11673 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi LucyP,

That's OUTSTANDING news! A 710 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile overall), so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. Have you thought about which Programs you want to apply to? If you're interested, we have a 'go-to' Admissions Expert who we recommend for anyone who's planning to apply to any highly-competitive Programs - and as an EMPOWERgmat Alum, we can set you up with a free consultation. Just let any of the Team know and we'll help set it up.

Congrats again on all of your success so far!

Another GMAT Assassin has been made!
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi LucyP,

That's OUTSTANDING news! A 710 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile overall), so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. Have you thought about which Programs you want to apply to? If you're interested, we have a 'go-to' Admissions Expert who we recommend for anyone who's planning to apply to any highly-competitive Programs - and as an EMPOWERgmat Alum, we can set you up with a free consultation. Just let any of the Team know and we'll help set it up.

Congrats again on all of your success so far!

Another GMAT Assassin has been made!
Rich

Thank you so much, Rich.

I am really confused now and may need some help, even to find out which schools to apply.

Please check your message. I hope to hear your sharing. Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Great job Lucy. I am training to kill the GMAT myself and I will incorporate your advices related to the bb's practice tests (SC, RC, CR).
Quick question tough; when you took the practice test (Gmat1/2), did you take the whole test (AWA and IR included)?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
First of all Congratulations on your score and wish you all the best. I'm targeting a 700+ score too.
I wish...
She quoted 'GMAT Math Bible Book'. Could anyone please throw some light on the book? Which book exactly it is?

I know CR Bible refers to power score. What is this Math Bible? It would be of great help if someone confirms.

ps: I googled, got random Books with name bible in them, I'm looking for a concrete answer.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Own Kudos [?]: 1972 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Lucy Phuong wrote:
Hello everyone,

I’ve just taken GMAT Test in July 20 and got 710. This is a 70-point improvement in my GMAT journey and I don’t know how to express my feeling now. I just remember that I was smiling all the way home from test center :")

Congrats !! You got an impressive score ... 710 *_* after so many nerve wrecking chatroom sessions :P ... have a great school hunt !!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37356 posts