Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [7]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [12]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [4]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Defining a medical practitioner as any individual whose occupation is [#permalink]
Kudos
I chose (E). Basically I have to decide between (C) and (E), and the difference is
> Estimate the number at 60 (in C)
OR
> Estimate the number to be 60 (in E)

Well, this tests the idiomatic use of estimate, but I could not recall if there is anything special in GMAT. Failing that, I have to rely on my own instinct. I would always use "estimate the number to be 60", and that is why my answer is E.

For (A), (B), and (D), the subject of the sentence (the number) cannot serve as logical subject for the modifier ("Defining a medical ... ). They can be ruled out rather easily.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: Defining a medical practitioner as any individual whose occupation is [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 204: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Defining a medical practitioner as “any individual whose occupation is basically concerned with the care of the sick,” the number of women medical practitioners in the city of London was estimated at 60 in 1560 by the researchers.

A) the number of women medical practitioners in the city of London was estimated at 60 in 1560 by the researchers

B) the women medical practitioners in the city of London was estimated to be 60 in 1560 according to the researchers

C) the researchers estimated the number of women medical practitioners in the city of London at 60 in 1560

D) in 1560, the number of women medical practitioners was estimated to be 60 in the city of London by the researchers

E) the researchers estimated the number of women medical practitioners in the city of London to be 60 in 1560

"Defining a medical practitioner" modifies "the researchers" and thus "the researchers" should act as a subject of the following clause. - A, B and D out

"Estimated to be" vs "Estimated at" -> Estimated to be is the first preference hence correct. Even though Estimated at has been correct int he Official question, Estimated at is usually used when used for a location.

IMO
Answer - E
McDonough School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 102
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-28-2021
GRE 1: Q165 V153

GRE 2: Q167 V151
GPA: 3.7
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Defining a medical practitioner as ...
This V+ing modifier modified the subject of the main sentence.
Subject who defines a medical practitioner is researcher. Either women or the number cannot be the subject, so A, B and D are wrong.

Between C and E, there is tiny difference, diffence that tests correct idiom usage.
Estimate to is correct idiom, hence E is our answer

Posted from my mobile device
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have posted the official explanation here
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Defining a medical practitioner as any individual whose occupation is [#permalink]
No worries, people, this one isn't so bad.

This SC tests the dangling modifier rule. The first thing you should ask yourself is what the first clause is referring to. Is it the number of women practitioners? The women practitioners? The researchers? The answer is clearly the researchers. A, B, and D immediately get freebie eliminated.

Between (C) and (E), it's simply a question about idioms. The correct idiom is estimated to be.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts