Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619041 [94]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [49]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [11]
Given Kudos: 205
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: Desertification, a process in which the biological productivity of the [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO A

C, D , E are having changed meaning

and A is better than B .

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Schools: IIM
GMAT 1: 530 Q48 V15
Send PM
Re: Desertification, a process in which the biological productivity of the [#permalink]
Can anyone explain why answer A is correct and not B?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [5]
Given Kudos: 30
GRE 1: Q160 V151
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
smita123 wrote:
Can anyone explain why answer A is correct and not B?

Use of being is correct in two ways- Being X is something or X is being something.

Here being isn't used the way it is acceptable. Also, this option has other problems-

a process of
the biological productivity
of the land being sharply degraded
by human abuse and natural phenomena

Both A and B define what the process is, but A is preferred because it actually defines what happens in this process while B says desertification is the process itself. Subtle difference in the meaning besides incorrect use of being.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V26
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.46
Send PM
As per the question There are two reasons of desertification 1.human abuse 2.natural phenomena

A. a process in which the biological productivity of the land is sharply degraded by human abuse and natural phenomena

biological productivity of the land is sharply degraded by 1.human abuse 2.natural phenomena

B. a process of the biological productivity of the land being sharply degraded by human abuse and natural phenomena

biological productivity of the land being sharply degraded by human abuse (ONLY) only one reason is provided

C. a process of human abuse and natural phenomena that sharply degrade the biological productivity of the land

that refers to natural phenomenon ( only one reason)

D. which is the process of human abuse and natural phenomena sharply degrading the land's biological productivity

natural phenomena sharply degrading the land's biological productivity( only natural phenomenon)

E. which is the process of human abuse and natural phenomena that sharply degrade the land's biological productivity

that refers to natural phenomenon ( only one reason)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I was able to eliminate B, but I dont have strong reasons to eliminate other options. Can you please help?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
daagh wrote:
There are two things I may like to point out in this beautiful question (thanks and Kudos to Bunuel)

Quote:
Desertification, a process in which the biological productivity of the land is sharply degraded by human abuse and natural phenomena, helped cause the famines that have killed hundreds of thousands in recent years.

A. a process in which the biological productivity of the land is sharply degraded by human abuse and natural phenomena
B. a process of the biological productivity of the land being sharply degraded by human abuse and natural phenomena
C. a process of human abuse and natural phenomena that sharply degrade the biological productivity of the land
D. which is the process of human abuse and natural phenomena sharply degrading the land's biological productivity
E. which is the process of human abuse and natural phenomena that sharply degrade the land's biological productivity

Point No 1. Why choices C, D, and E are no good?

C, D, and E are gross distortion of meaning. You see, desertification is the result of human abuse and natural phenomena and not the process of human abuse and natural phenomena. One may see , the difference in the structure of A and these three choices That is the reason they are in the dump.

Point 2.

I wish to state that whenever you find a modifier at the end of the second factor of a compound noun phrase, as in this case, the modifier modifies both the nouns of the compound noun before and not just the previous noun.

Quote:
C. of human abuse and natural phenomena that sharply degrade

D., which is the process of human abuse and natural phenomena sharply degrading
E. which is the process of human abuse and natural phenomena that sharply degrade

In all the three cases, the sharply degrading and that sharply degrade do modify both the terms 'the abuse and the phenomena', not just 'the phenomena' alone.

Had the author wanted to modify only one item namely the natural phenomena, then he would have written as

C. of natural phenomena that sharply degrade and human abuse

D., which is the process of natural phenomena sharply degrading
And human abuse

E. which is the process of natural phenomena that sharply degrade and human abuse

One can see the reversal of the sentence structure to be rightly able to modify just one item. Therefore C, D, and E are not wrong due to that.

For confirmation, one may look to the legendary official example linked below and correlate the reason for the correct answer

Hi daagh,

Thank you for this helpful response. Besides could you please elaborate more on why A is better than B?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Desertification, a process in which the biological productivity of the [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
If we removed C,D, and E on the grounds that desertification is not a product of human abuse and natural phenomena, then B is much more weird to say that desertification is process of biological productivity. In addition it clearly wrong to use 'being' as modifier to modify the land. Hence A is the preferred choice.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [7]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This question came up on our Ask Me Anything About SC thread, and I'm reposting here, just in case it helps anybody:
callmeSid wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

I have a doubt about the below official question.

Desertification, a process in which the biological productivity of the land is sharply degraded by human abuse and natural phenomena, helped cause the famines that have killed hundreds of thousands in recent years.

(A) a process in which the biological productivity of the land is sharply degraded by human abuse and natural phenomena
(B) a process of the biological productivity of the land being sharply degraded by human abuse and natural phenomena
(C) a process of human abuse and natural phenomena that sharply degrade the biological productivity of the land
(D) which is the process of human abuse and natural phenomena sharply degrading the land's biological productivity
(E) which is the process of human abuse and natural phenomena that sharply degrade the land's biological productivity

C. of human abuse and natural phenomena that sharply degrade
D. which is the process of human abuse and natural phenomena sharply degrading
E. which is the process of human abuse and natural phenomena that sharply degrade

In options C,E does the modifier (that sharply degrade) refer to both human abuse and natural phenomena, or just the touching noun - natural phenomena

Q1: In case of a compound noun, does the modifier modifies both the nouns or only the preceding noun.?

Q2: In option D -- Does sharply degrading modifies the compound noun or just the preceding noun.? As per my understanding, verb+ing without a preceding comma modifier the noun it touches. Please correct me if I am wrong

The GMAT does allow a modifier to "reach back" to two parts of a parallel structure. So, for (C), (D), and (E), the modifier can refer to both "human abuse" and "natural phenomena." Check out this example of an official question with a very similar construction to (C)/(E) in the correct answer choice.

However, just because this construction CAN be okay doesn't mean that it most clearly expresses the author's meaning. You could argue that there is some ambiguity about what exactly is being modified in (C), (D), and (E) -- is it "human abuse" AND "natural phenomena"? Or just the "natural phenomena"?

(A), on the other hand, clearly tells us that both "human abuse" and "natural phenomena" degrade the land. A bit of ambiguity is rarely enough on its own to eliminate an answer choice, but in this case it's certainly a vote against (C), (D), and (E).

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:

(A) a process in which the biological productivity of the land is sharply degraded by human abuse and natural phenomena
(B) a process of the biological productivity of the land being sharply degraded by human abuse and natural phenomena
(C) a process of human abuse and natural phenomena that sharply degrade the biological productivity of the land
(D) which is the process of human abuse and natural phenomena sharply degrading the land's biological productivity
(E) which is the process of human abuse and natural phenomena that sharply degrade the land's biological productivity

B meant degradation is continuing (with the word being), in C, D, and E human are abused but actually the human degraded the biological productivity. C, D, and E are eliminated for the wrong meaning. The correct answer is A
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos

Best option

(1) modifier error: what is “being sharply degraded…” modify?

(1) SV agreement: “…a process…degrade…”; (2) modifier ambiguity: what is the “that” clause modifying? is it the human abuse, natural phenomena or both of these combined?

(1) modifier ambiguity: what is “degrading”? is it the human abuse, natural phenomena or both of these combined?

(1) SV agreement: “…a process…degrade…”; (2) modifier ambiguity: what is the “that” clause modifying? is it the human abuse, natural phenomena or both of these combined?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
I don't understand why B is wrong?

If being is the reason, please clarify more. I found some questions BEING is correct. Therefore, I think BEING is wrong is a rule.

Could anyone please help ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
I don't understand why B is wrong?

If being is the reason, please clarify more. I found some questions BEING is correct. Therefore, I think BEING is wrong is a rule.

Could anyone please help ?

(B) is illogical. Desertification can be described as a process in which something happens, namely that the biological productivity of the land is degraded, which is what we have in (A).

But it makes no sense to use the construction in (B), in which desertification is defined as a process of biological productivity. A process implies some kind of action. Biological productivity is pretty clearly not itself an action.

So there's no need to split hairs about whether "being" is acceptable here. (B) has an incoherent meaning, so we can rid of it on that basis alone.

I hope that clears things up!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
change in focus is the typical topic of gmat. gmat always test us this point.
what is change in focus.

change in focus is a case, in which a clause, normally object clause, or prepositional clause , is changed into a noun. for example

the possibility that they come is low
the possibility of them coming is low

I believe that they come
I believe them coming

an object clause is an idea and this idea is the object of the verb. if we change the object clause into a noun , the meaning or the focus of meaning changed. at first, the non native find this case hard to understand

if we anticipate this focus change, we can solve this problem in a few seconds.

in our problem, focus change happens. in choice A, a relative clause , an idea , explain the phenomenon. in other choices, a noun, a thing, explain the phenomenon. this is grammatical but not logical semantically.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: HEC MiM "24
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Can we reject options C and E on the basis of incorrect verb tense being used?
that sharply degrade --> It should be

that sharply degrades
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kri1311 wrote:
Can we reject options C and E on the basis of incorrect verb tense being used?
that sharply degrade --> It should be

that sharply degrades

"Phenomena" is actually a plural noun, so "that sharply degrade" is correct.

Also, as explained in this post, you could argue that there is some ambiguity about what exactly is being modified in (C), (D), and (E) -- is it "human abuse" AND "natural phenomena"? Or just the "natural phenomena"? In either case, we would want to use "degrade" (the plural verb form).

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
EducationAisle sir,
Please have a look at my reasoning below particularly the usage of "being":-

Option A:-
1. This is the correct answer choice.
2. The meaning conveyed in this option statement is that Desertification is a process in which the biological productivity of land is sharply degraded by human abuse and natural phenomena. This meaning makes sense.

Option B:-
1. The usage of process and being is redundant here. "being" means in the process of. So this usage is incorrect because we already have a process in the sentence.

Option C:- Desertification is not the process of human abuse and natural phenomena. It is a process in which the biological productivity of the land is degraded. Hence, illogical meaning.

Option D and E:- Same error as option C.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
This analysis looks good to me.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts