GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 12:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 421
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Sep 2018, 09:00
1
14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (01:21) correct 45% (01:39) wrong based on 1048 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?


A. The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.

B. Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.

C. Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

D. Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.

E. The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand eye coordination and improved reaction time.


Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.
(B) Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.
(C) Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
(D) Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
(E) The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand-eye coordination and improved reaction time.

The guy who posted thisw question on the forum said the OA is D.
I agree on D but I feel C serves equally well.
If the carpal syndrome can be caused by things other than video games.then why will be the syndrome be curbed.
Curbed means stopped.
To undermine D , what if the adolscents are able to borrow the games from some of the older persons.

_________________

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html


Originally posted by Zatarra on 09 Dec 2010, 12:33.
Last edited by Bunuel on 14 Sep 2018, 09:00, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3111
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2016, 07:58
7
1
shonakshi wrote:
Can someone plz explain why option c is wrong ?


"Curb" means restrain or control, not "eradicate". Your point could be valid if the wording were as follows:

Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb eradicate this painful wrist condition among adolescents.

Even if there were other reasons for the syndrome, restricting video games would still curb or restrain the syndrome (among those who play videos games).
Most Helpful Community Reply
Veritas Prep and Orion Instructor
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 265
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2010, 13:03
8
2
Great question - thanks for posting this one (and for the invitation to chime in!).

This is a terrific example of two crucial strategies for Assumption questions:

1) You have to identify the exact conclusion of any CR strengthen/weaken/assumption question

2) The assumption is something that is necessary to the argument; not merely something that would strengthen it


Here, the conclusion is that "prohibiting the sale of video games to minors would help curb carpal tunnel syndrome among adolescents. That's entirely different than something that would eliminate it.

The problem with choice C as it pertains to this conclusion is that the conclusion doesn't require video games to be the only or even a primary reason that kids develop this problem. Even if only 5% of carpal tunnel cases were related to video games, eliminating video games would still "help curb" the problem, however slightly. We don't need for video games to be the only reason that kids get this problem...we just need it to be one reason.


Now, with D, we need that to be the case - prohibiting "the sale of games to minors" doesn't necessarily mean that minors won't still play the games. In order to curb the problem we need to stop kids from playing the games, not simply from buying the games. If D were untrue - if it were the opposite - then we could say that parents will just buy these games for their kids anyway, so the kids won't stop playing the games. Therefore, we need D to be true - it's required by the argument otherwise the conclusion (that this law will help reduce the problem) isn't supported at all.
_________________

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Veritas Prep Reviews

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2014
Posts: 1
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2015, 20:18
2
I have seen similar GMAT questions like this one many times; it looks like the GMAT wants us to distinguish between what the law says and what people actually do. as in this example, the law is prohibiting certain action, but the conclusion went as far as to conclude that the regulations will prevent the happening of the action. well, if the laws by themselves were capable of stopping people from doing bad things, we wouldn't need courts or jails...
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 49
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2016, 03:54
Can someone plz explain why option c is wrong ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 266
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Mar 2018, 04:51
2
shonakshi wrote:
Can someone plz explain why option c is wrong ?

In addition to what sayantanc2k said, C has an absolutistic meaning and correct answers on GMAT tend to be wish-washy or generalistic. As a rule of thumb, always check twice before picking an option with a strong word like Always, Never, Only, and so on.
_________________

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html


Originally posted by umg on 31 Aug 2016, 13:40.
Last edited by umg on 02 Mar 2018, 04:51, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Posts: 84
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 02:18
1
shonakshi wrote:
Can someone plz explain why option c is wrong ?


Here, we are concerned only with controlling this disease by restricting sales of video games.

There may be 100's of way this disease can occur, but they are out of scope in this case. Here only thing that matters is will the prohibition on sales of video games help to control this disease.

and we need to close this conclusion, by fixing any weak link that can shatter the argument.

If parents buy video games, then this will won't help to control and therefore is the assumption.
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 720
Premium Member
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2016, 02:58
3
Adolescents play video games regularly and thus are likely to develop some syndrome.
By prohibiting the sale to the MINORS would help curb this issue.

The assumption here is that these minors would not come in contact with the video games by any means. What if someone else buys for them or gift them? Then the argument fails.
Therefore correct choice would be one that states that there is no other way for these minors to come in contact with video games.
Choice D is correct as it states MOST (majority) of parents won’t buy video games for their adolescent children.
_________________

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 04 Sep 2015
Posts: 523
Location: India
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 14:30
For the above question only two possible answers can be there,and those are C and D



C. Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
The legislation works to reduce and control the number of cases rather than completely get rid of it

D. Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.
If the parents of the children would purchase the video games for their adolescent children then the purpose of the legislation would be defeated al together.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 31
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 08:56
souvik101990 wrote:
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents. The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.

B. Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.

C. Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

D. Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.

E. The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand eye coordination and improved reaction time.


(D) If most parents WOULD purchase video games for their adolescent children, then the doctor is WRONG that legislation would have the intended effect. The doctor's argument therefore depends on (D), and it is the correct answer.

_________________

You never FAIL until you stop TRYING

[wrapimg=][/wrapimg]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 464
Location: Malaysia
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.95
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 02:40
souvik101990 wrote:
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents. The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?


A. The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.

B. Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.

C. Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

D. Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.

E. The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand eye coordination and improved reaction time.


I am not at all convinced with D. The adolescents can come in contact with the video games in the following way -

1. Someone else Gifts to them.
2. They buy on their own.

The passage nowhere mentions that the only way they can come in contact with Video Games is through their parent.

Can someone please advise on this.
_________________

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1167
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 17:41
rahul16singh28 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents. The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?


A. The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.

B. Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.

C. Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

D. Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.

E. The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand eye coordination and improved reaction time.


I am not at all convinced with D. The adolescents can come in contact with the video games in the following way -

1. Someone else Gifts to them.
2. They buy on their own.

The passage nowhere mentions that the only way they can come in contact with Video Games is through their parent.

Can someone please advise on this.


Hi D is indeed the correct answer.

The argument talks about the ban and says that it would be successful.
So in order it to be successful D has to be the assumption. If parents do not buy the video games then the ban would be effective. If parents purchase video games then the ban is not effective and children will suffer form carpel syndrome.

Hope its clear
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 464
Location: Malaysia
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.95
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 19:31
arvind910619 wrote:
rahul16singh28 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents. The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?


A. The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.

B. Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.

C. Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

D. Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.

E. The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand eye coordination and improved reaction time.


I am not at all convinced with D. The adolescents can come in contact with the video games in the following way -

1. Someone else Gifts to them.
2. They buy on their own.

The passage nowhere mentions that the only way they can come in contact with Video Games is through their parent.

Can someone please advise on this.


Hi D is indeed the correct answer.

The argument talks about the ban and says that it would be successful.
So in order it to be successful D has to be the assumption. If parents do not buy the video games then the ban would be effective. If parents purchase video games then the ban is not effective and children will suffer form carpel syndrome.

Hope its clear


Hi,

In the passage it is nowhere mentioned that ONLY parents buy Video Games for their children. They can come in contact with the Video Game through other means also (As a Gift, Buying on their onwn).
_________________

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1167
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 19:39
arvind910619 wrote:
rahul16singh28 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regular basis are three times as likely to develop carpal tunnel syndrome as are adolescents who do not play video games. Federal legislation that prohibits the sale of video games to minors would help curb this painful wrist condition among adolescents. The doctor’s conclusion depends on which of the following assumptions?


A. The majority of federal legislators would vote for a bill that prohibits the sale of video games to minors.

B. Not all adolescents who play video games on a regular basis suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome.

C. Playing video games is the only way an adolescent can develop carpal tunnel syndrome.

D. Most parents would refuse to purchase video games for their adolescent children.

E. The regular playing of video games by adolescents does not produce such beneficial effects as better hand eye coordination and improved reaction time.


I am not at all convinced with D. The adolescents can come in contact with the video games in the following way -

1. Someone else Gifts to them.
2. They buy on their own.

The passage nowhere mentions that the only way they can come in contact with Video Games is through their parent.

Can someone please advise on this.


Hi D is indeed the correct answer.

The argument talks about the ban and says that it would be successful.
So in order it to be successful D has to be the assumption. If parents do not buy the video games then the ban would be effective. If parents purchase video games then the ban is not effective and children will suffer form carpel syndrome.

Hope its clear


Hi,
We should focus on the scope of the argument. In real world what your are saying will be correct, but in GMAT world we have see and infer only from the argument. That is why D is correct.
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jul 2018
Posts: 24
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 01:33
Where does the parents come into picture? Absolutely no idea why D is correct?

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 2966
Premium Member
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 08:24
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu &nbs [#permalink] 14 Sep 2018, 08:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who play video games on a regu

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.