Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 10:42 It is currently 02 May 2024, 10:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.65
WE:Sales (Insurance)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Does MENSA membership add weight to profile?? [#permalink]
Well, I do not have an 'official' adcom answer for you. But to me I'd would say: Ok the guy is smart, but unless in your essays you show that you are seriously involved with some of the things your local Mensa group does and further demonstrate that you use your smarts to accomplish something on the job, I would deem it worthless information. Sorry for being so harsh, but you just need to connect this to the rest of your application, by itself it does not say much about your prospects at a certain school and the professional life thereafter. But you are smart, you know all that right ;-)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Very well said, unless it reflects on the prospect of me being a better candidate; it doesn't carry much weight.

I think I have an average profile and just want to make sure i consider what i have at my disposal to make my profile stronger.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
anyone who gets a 750 on the gmat or above auto qualifies for mensa. Probably over 20% of applicants at top tier schools can be mensa members. I don't really see that being such a big differentiator.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Yeah, I suppose unless you scored below the 95 percentile on the GMAT, the mensa membership might not add much. Personally, I do not think it can hurt you in any way. I am, however, considering my GMAT score to gain membership to mensa and then put that on my resume just to highlight to employers that I am intelligent. Supposedly, IQ is a very good predictor of success on the job (P&G use IQ tests in their hiring process for example), and I would expect most HR people to be aware of that. So by putting mensa membership on my resume I would hope to be able to signal just that (few people here understand what the GMAT is, but most know mensa).
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Wow this is something I had never thought of. Interesting to suggest putting your IQ on a CV.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Dude you are applying for MBA not PhD or Quantitative Masters. I am pretty sure most of the CEOs would perfrom worse on the IQ test than most of the fresh undergrad engineers/programmers.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
Dude you are applying for MBA not PhD or Quantitative Masters. I am pretty sure most of the CEOs would perfrom worse on the IQ test than most of the fresh undergrad engineers/programmers.

The GMAT measures more or less the same thing, which is why Mensa grants membership to anyone who scores in the 95th percentile of the GMAT. So IQ scores are hardly superflous, but actually redundant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Happytrojan wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:

The GMAT measures more or less the same thing, which is why Mensa grants membership to anyone who scores in the 95th percentile of the GMAT. So IQ scores are hardly superflous, but actually redundant.

I don't think GMAT measure the same as MENSA. I have taken several IQ test, including the most common (Raven, Weschler), supervised by professionals and scored within 136 - 140 range which is above the 98 percentile, and still I can´t improve my 40 points in quant. Is true, I haven't dedicate enough time, but it is a so boring test.
I believe that GMAT don't measure your IQ, but your will to achieve goals. If adcoms just wanted your potential (G intelligence), you' would have to take only Raven Matrices Test. You don't need to know anything. It's pure intelligence.
Don't even bother on putting your MENSA membership in your application. They just don't care about it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I took a professionally administered IQ test and scored in the 97th percentile. I think it essentially measures the same thing as the GMAT: your ability to think logically.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Happytrojan wrote:
I took a professionally administered IQ test and scored in the 97th percentile. I think it essentially measures the same thing as the GMAT: your ability to think logically.

I'll put you this way:

How much time did you take preparing for your IQ test?
How much time did you take preparing for GMAT?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Latinapp wrote:
Happytrojan wrote:

I'll put you this way:

How much time did you take preparing for your IQ test?
How much time did you take preparing for GMAT?

The first time I took an official GMAT-prep exam, without any preparation, I scored a 710. That is the 92nd percentile. And since the GMAT selection group is much more restrictive than the IQ-population, with a 95th perncetile GMAT being the equivalent of a 98th percentile then being in the 92nd percentile on the GMAT can safely be said to be the equivalent of the 93-95th percentile in IQ.

Now, I did prepare somewhat for the IQ test, so if we lower my score from the 97th percentile to only 94-95th percentile, saying that the preparation gave me a slight advantage, there is only a few percent difference between them, if any at all.

But I do not hold this for the entire truth, or a complete explanation (nor will I ever consider discussing such a thing); but if you want to take preparation and such into account, they are eerily close to each other in result, in my case.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
No - do not put it on there. I think most of the people in this thread are international, and I'm not sure how mensa is viewed in other countries, but in the US if someone sees mensa on an app they are going to think "smart, but no social skills," which is definitely not the message you want to send to b-school adcoms and potential employers. Here, employers will judge your intelligence (to the extent they want to) by (mainly) what schools you attended, (sometimes) your GPA, and (less often still) SAT/GMAT scores. B-schools will weigh GPA/GMAT more and schools attended less, but above some threshold additional GMAT points aren't a huge deal.

tl;dr - Putting mensa on your resume in the US will probably come off as a socially awkward move. Don't do it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ok, IMHO adcoms want to minimize the asymmetry of information between you and them. They want to know all "relevant" about you to make a decision. If you have a good GMAT and GPA, there is no need to show more muscles, unless this muscle has made something relevant that support another personal feature, and I mean soft skill. E.g: I know MENSA sometimes meet their members to "solve" world problems. If you went to some of their meetings and proposed some kind of a project that helped to start blah blah blah.........then you MUST present your membership. In other case, if you are just a member......, remember that adcoms like humility, so you could keep this card till the right moment: The Interview.
Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM