Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 18:07 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Re: Due to health problems: poor grades & delay. Want to pursue an MBA. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
JanWindrug wrote:
Me:
- 27 yo male, born/raised in the Netherlands. Now in good health but past health problems.
- BA economics & business economics.
- Currently in MA finance here in the Netherlands.I suggest you study like crazy for the GMAT and blow that out of the water... the higher your score, the more you will find schools who are willing to overlook your less than ideal grades and prior work history. I think the best way to address this in your application is to give context but don't make excuses for your past- just give an idea of what you were facing. For what you should do post MBA- tech is a big area for hiring. I would think about what you really want to do, however, as doing something just because you think you are "supposed" to never really works out well. I think with your interesting background, you may benefit greatly from some expert counseling in the process. Here is a link to our website where you can get a free consult to learn more about how we can help you and also get 5% off any services if you choose to use us to help you.
https://stratusprep.com/admissions/busi ... b-visitor/

Dream:
- Move to the US to pursue a top MBA and start a business.

Problem
- Past health problems led to study delay & very poor grades during my bachelor and now my master.
- Worried that potential employers when I start looking for an internship this summer after I graduate will be put off by my delay and poor grades as many/most employers also ask for a grade list.

Question
- What kind of functions/companies should I pursue where I will both have the highest change of being hired as well being able to pursue an MBA?

I you have any questions or need more information about me, please feel free to contact me.

Dear GMATclub,

My name is Jan. I am 27 and I was born and raised in the Netherlands. I have a bachelor’s degree in Economics and Business economics. I am currently enrolled in a Master of Finance program here in the Netherlands. My dream is to pursue a top MBA in the US and start a business.

At the time of this writing I am exploring career options for when I graduate this summer. I am doubting between banking and consulting (typical choices I know).

My main concern is that due to health problems I have had study delay and my grades during my bachelor and now my master have been very poor. I have noticed that many firms in addition to a resume and cover letter also ask for a grade list and I am concerned that once a potential employer sees my study delay and my low grades I will not be hired.

What I would like to know is what kind of functions and companies should I pursue where I will both have the highest change of being hired as well being able to pursue an MBA? I you have any questions or need more information about me, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Jan Windrug
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Due to health problems: poor grades & delay. Want to pursue an MBA. [#permalink]