Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Schools: Yale '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Just had my interview over Skype with an adcom member. I think he got the time mixed up so it ended up being 1 hour later than what was communicated earlier, so by the time it started it was 11 PM where I was ^^; I wore a suit, but my interviewer was just wearing a sweatshirt.

The questions I got were basically why MBA, why Duke, strengths & weaknesses, and getting to know me as a person, but they were phrased differently so some of them kinda threw me off a bit. For example, he started with something like "tell me about where you are in life right now" so I answered with what I typically would with a "walk me through your resume" question. But I was mentally scrambling for a second or two there. He didn't have a question list (as far as I could tell), and made some notes.

He seemed to have a 45-min time limit because as soon as we hit the mark, he rushed to end the interview abruptly. Overall, it was more like a question & answer and less conversational than what I had expected.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
are R2 decisions released on the same day?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
mrzod wrote:
are R2 decisions released on the same day?

My understanding is that they're released on Mar 18 via system/email. With phone calls typically coming that or following days.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
New tuition rates for Duke's graduate and professional schools in 2013-14 have been set:
-- Fuqua School of Business: $55,300 (daytime MBA), up 4.5 percent.

ouch
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Guys' does anyone know anything about Duke's scholarship stats and when do they inform of scholarship decisions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
sunjuu1 wrote:
Guys' does anyone know anything about Duke's scholarship stats and when do they inform of scholarship decisions?

something like 1/3rd of the class gets some sort of a scholarship. They inform you within a few days of your acceptance by phone call, and also a letter in your admit package.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
For those who interviewed in Durham, what was the dress code that you adhered to? Just trousers and dress shirt? No suits, no tie?I know the emails they sent out mentioned business casual, but I'm just taking an informal survey anyway. Appreciate it!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
SnowDay wrote:
For those who interviewed in Durham, what was the dress code that you adhered to? Just trousers and dress shirt? No suits, no tie?I know the emails they sent out mentioned business casual, but I'm just taking an informal survey anyway. Appreciate it!

When I was there about 50% were wearing suits and 50% were wearing either shirt/tie or shirt/sports coat. All depends on what you feel more confident in.
Director
Director
Send PM
bond007 wrote:
New tuition rates for Duke's graduate and professional schools in 2013-14 have been set:
-- Fuqua School of Business: $55,300 (daytime MBA), up 4.5 percent.

ouch

ahh don't remind. Is MBA really worth it? Well, I am not going to worry about the tution until I get in somewhere.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
SnowDay wrote:

When I was there, none of the interviewers were wearing a suit but all of the interviewees were in suits
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.22
WE:Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
I think I was probably the last to interview for R2 today at 4:00, I feel like I had a good interview and everyone else I talked to seemed to have a good interview as well, so I have no idea what that means about how they are going to select. There's no question I received during the interview that has not been previously mentioned on this thread. Good luck everyone.
Director
Director
Send PM
ejko1984 wrote:
I think I was probably the last to interview for R2 today at 4:00, I feel like I had a good interview and everyone else I talked to seemed to have a good interview as well, so I have no idea what that means about how they are going to select. There's no question I received during the interview that has not been previously mentioned on this thread. Good luck everyone.

They will review our app again and try to connect it with our interview responses. The countdown begins. I can't wait to put on my Duke T-shirt.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
I just had my interview in SF. Very conversational, no curve balls - standard questions. Why MBA? Why Duke? How will you contribute? What do you like to do for fun? Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.38
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Just completed my interview in Shanghai. My interview lasted exactly 45 minutes, and most of the questions (at least early on) were on the list on page 56.

I was a bit surprised that I wasn't asked more about my strengths/weaknesses, though we discussed in some detail the challenges I have faced in my career to date. I could have done a better job of explaining why I am changing industries, and nearly referred to Durham as Darden (oh noes!). Fortunately I caught myself.

My interviewer was a recent alumna, and I was frankly quite impressed. She is in my target industry, so I hope that my explanation of what I expected post-Duke were on-track.

There are a few hours of activities in Shanghai this afternoon, and I hope to gain a bit of further insight/leave a bit of an impression.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Zomba wrote:
Just completed my interview in Shanghai. My interview lasted exactly 45 minutes, and most of the questions (at least early on) were on the list on page 56.

I was a bit surprised that I wasn't asked more about my strengths/weaknesses, though we discussed in some detail the challenges I have faced in my career to date. I could have done a better job of explaining why I am changing industries, and nearly referred to Durham as Darden (oh noes!). Fortunately I caught myself.

My interviewer was a recent alumna, and I was frankly quite impressed. She is in my target industry, so I hope that my explanation of what I expected post-Duke were on-track.

There are a few hours of activities in Shanghai this afternoon, and I hope to gain a bit of further insight/leave a bit of an impression.

Zomba, it was nice meeting you at the Fuqua session today. We'll have many things to share on "how to raise a baby" in the future if we are both lucky enough to make it to Fuqua. Good luck, man. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.38
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
omnivorous wrote:
Zomba, it was nice meeting you at the Fuqua session today. We'll have many things to share on "how to raise a baby" in the future if we are both lucky enough to make it to Fuqua. Good luck, man. :)

Likewise, omnivorous. Quite a few impressive folks this afternoon at the networking event. Best of luck!

Of the ~25 applicants that I met today, nearly all would be solid admits. I was more impressed with this group than many of the others I've seen (even from schools that may be more 'prestigious'). The extensive networking time was a nice touch, as I wasn't able to spend time with fellow applicants at other hub interviews. Such an event really gave me a brief glimpse of 'Team Fuqua' in action. We are all stuck in the same waiting game now, I guess. Best of luck to all!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
riverwind91 wrote:
Those who are married, you can have a 'family' concentration, too. MBA is the best timing to have a baby, one Fuqua alumnus had two baby born in Durham!

Everything sounds good except this piece of advice. I know my situation in NYC will be different than somebody at Duke but still... With the stress of classes, clubs, job hunting and massive piles of debt the last thing my wife and I would want right now is to add kids to that mix. Having a baby during b-school would be terrible. Don't get me wrong, we want kids eventually but ~5 years from now sounds much better!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  64   65   66   67   68   69   70  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts