Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
mba07 wrote:
Hi
Thanks for ur reply. I can understand when u say "work in a related position". But in a country like India, finance/IB positions are hard to get unless u have an MBA. There is no "American" culture of IBs recruiting undergrads here. I currently work in IT for a fin client. Will that be a reason enough for them to accept?

I can't tell you if that "is reason enough to accept." It will be your job when you apply to show the connection between what you have been doing and what you want to do. If you are working in IT in financial services, you should be able to do so. You have to give them the reasons to accept you.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Linda
Thanks for the prompt reply. I agree that "no recruitment" is a lame reason. And I apologise for putting it on the forum. Since I work for IT in fin services, wont my ambition be justified, coz IB happens to be just the functional side of what I'm doing? Isnt it as simple as a technical to functional switch?
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Early career Applicant-HELP! [#permalink]
Accepted.com wrote:
mba07 wrote:
Hi
I am an Indian aspiring to get an MBA from a US school. I will be an early career applicant when I apply ( fall ’07 or ’08).
My profile-
>Indian/Male/21
>Engineer 8.2/10 (not from IIT)
> IT Industry
> 7 months wok exp as on date (will have 2 yrs by fall ’07)
>Yet to take GMAT
>Proficient with numbers (guess that takes care of half the GMAT worries).
>Planning for some community work in the next 1 year (not exactly community work, but some sort of extra curricular/organizing work).

Target Schools-
Wharton, Columbia, Chicago GSB, HBS, Stanford.
Are there schools which encourage early career applicants? If so which ones?
Since I have plenty of time before my app process, could you tell me how to make best use of the time available?
I plan to apply by fall 07 at the earliest.

Post MBA Goal- To work for an Wall Street IB.

Regards
MBA07

All the schools above are friendly to early career applicants, especially if they have 1-2 years to impressive work experience. If you plan to work on Wall St. in IB, the best thing for you to do now is work in a related position in India. Relevant experience will help you get hired post-MBA and show the schools that you know what you are talking about when you say you want to go into IB and that you can contribute to your classes.

Good luck!

Hi

I'm in a huge dilemma now and thought I wud seek your help. Last week, I went through the selection process of a FUTURES TRADING company in Bangalore (they trade in European Markets). I'll know their decision tomorrow. If I get an offer, do u suggest that I chuck my current job, work for a coupla years as a trader and then app to Stan/HBS/Columbia? Will it deter my chances if I work for a small company? (The company I am mentioning was started only in 2004).

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Pradeep.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
mba07 wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
mba07 wrote:
Hi
I am an Indian aspiring to get an MBA from a US school. I will be an early career applicant when I apply ( fall ’07 or ’08).
My profile-
>Indian/Male/21
>Engineer 8.2/10 (not from IIT)
> IT Industry
> 7 months wok exp as on date (will have 2 yrs by fall ’07)
>Yet to take GMAT
>Proficient with numbers (guess that takes care of half the GMAT worries).
>Planning for some community work in the next 1 year (not exactly community work, but some sort of extra curricular/organizing work).

Target Schools-
Wharton, Columbia, Chicago GSB, HBS, Stanford.
Are there schools which encourage early career applicants? If so which ones?
Since I have plenty of time before my app process, could you tell me how to make best use of the time available?
I plan to apply by fall 07 at the earliest.

Post MBA Goal- To work for an Wall Street IB.

Regards
MBA07

All the schools above are friendly to early career applicants, especially if they have 1-2 years to impressive work experience. If you plan to work on Wall St. in IB, the best thing for you to do now is work in a related position in India. Relevant experience will help you get hired post-MBA and show the schools that you know what you are talking about when you say you want to go into IB and that you can contribute to your classes.

Good luck!

Hi

I'm in a huge dilemma now and thought I wud seek your help. Last week, I went through the selection process of a FUTURES TRADING company in Bangalore (they trade in European Markets). I'll know their decision tomorrow. If I get an offer, do u suggest that I chuck my current job, work for a coupla years as a trader and then app to Stan/HBS/Columbia? Will it deter my chances if I work for a small company? (The company I am mentioning was started only in 2004).

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Pradeep.

MBA07,

If the job looks appealing to you and is in line with your goals then take it. Otherwise don't. One benefit of the job you mentioned is that it would help you break out of the Male Indian IT box you are now in. One disadvantage may be that it won't give you leadership opportunities. Showing leadership is extremely important in your B-school essays. The futures job could be spun as giving you greater familiaity with the financial services industry, which could support your post-MBA IB goal.

The age of the company doesn't matter very much. What matters is the level of responsibility and functional exposure you get as well as your impact there. I think it's premature to talk about applying to Stanford / HBS / and CBS until you know what your GMAT is, have established a strong community profile, and have demonstrated leadership at work. Ask yourself whether you are willing to wait a few years to build a strong enough profile for those schools. If not, consider aiming lower.

Good luck,
GMAT Club Bot