Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 07:15 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4420 [21]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1190 [0]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1190 [2]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
Re: Electronic communications such as email, text messages, chat [#permalink]
I will go with A.

I think the conclusion of the stimulus is that text messages and such types of communications are impersonal. The following sentences are more of a reason why such communications are impersonal.

"meaning that the sender of the communication is distant from the receiver of the communication. This separation often results in misinterpretation by the recipient. Since such communications are also primarily one-way interactions, there is no chance for the sender of the communication to realize and correct the misinterpretation."

The inference therefore would be how best to avoid impersonal communications.

C, D & E can be easily eliminated. As for B, there will still be impersonal touch to the message because it is not delivered in person. Also, B does not solve the problem of one-way messaging that is mentioned in the stimulus.

What is the OA?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
The confusion is just between A & B .Others are obviously out of scope.But went with A because the writer's tone is negative throughout the argument.
Then realised,as some posts have mentioned that A too is out of scope and B is doing the job fine.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
The confusion is just between A & B .Others are obviously out of scope.But went with A because the writer's tone is negative throughout the argument.
Then realised,as some posts have mentioned that A too is going too far and B is doing just fine.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
THE CONTEST IS BETWEEN "A" AND "B"......

NOTE THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY.......

WE HAVE TO COMPLETE " Electronic communications should therefore be ____________."

A)Used only when face-to-face communications are not possible......OF COURSE WE KNOW THIS....IF FACE TO FACE COMMUNICATION WAS AVAILABLE- ONLY A FOOL WILL SIT ON INTERNET AND COMMUNICATE THROUGH IT... INTERNET IS MEANT FOR DISTANT COMMUNICATION ONLY...THE STIMULUS ALSO SAYS SO....AND I QUOTE.." Electronic communications are considered "impersonal" forms of communication, meaning that the sender of the communication is distant from the receiver......
INCORRECT...

B)Written in straightforward language that is not liable to various different interpretations......CORRECT....BE THOUGHTFUL TO USE straightforward language SO AS TO AVOID DIFFERENT INTERPRETATION unnecessarily......WHILE CARRYING OUT DISTANT COMMUNICATION...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 177
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
Send PM
Kudos
IMO b. I will explain the thought process if it helps. You need to realize that the question is asking for a solution taking its previously stated statement into consideration. Option A does not answer that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Went with A just because throughout writer was negative and he said that the distance often results in misinterpretation. So, I feel it has to end with a conclusion which keeps this in to consideration as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Agree with many. Answer should be A.

B does not make sense to me. Please could a senior person can look into the question.

Obviously, the only sensible options are A and B.

"Even if you write a st forward message, the message can be misinterpreted by the reader". It all depends on the reader's psychology. Hence it is safe to use the E-Messaging only when Face to face does not work.

Please correct me if wrong.

guerrero25 wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Electronic communications such as email, text messages, chats, and posts on the "walls" of social media sites are considered by psychologists to be "impersonal" forms of communication, meaning that the sender of the communication is distant from the receiver of the communication. This separation often results in misinterpretation by the recipient. Since such communications are also primarily one-way interactions, there is no chance for the sender of the communication to realize and correct the misinterpretation. Electronic communications should therefore be ____________.

A)Used only when face-to-face communications are not possible.

B)Written in straightforward language that is not liable to various different interpretations.

C)Used in situations where personal communications might be embarrassing.

D)Forbidden in professional occupations, such as medicine and law.

E)Used as frequently as possible, due to the convenience of avoiding lengthy conversations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
In my 2 cents
A)Used only when face-to-face communications are not possible.
-- This choice just plays around with our outside knowledge.With the given information,we know nothing whether the face-to-face communications are better or whether this form of communication is more preferable than "impersonal forms of communication".

B)Written in straightforward language that is not liable to various different interpretations.
-- This phrase summarizes the given information nicely;the concern of misinterpretation in "impersonal forms of communication" is taken care of.

C)Used in situations where personal communications might be embarrassing.
-- Embarrassment is out of context.

D)Forbidden in professional occupations, such as medicine and law.
-- Same as choice A.Trap with the outside knowledge-some people might think that these professional occupations require no ambiguity,but since no mention about this fact in the given information,it is out of scope.

E)Used as frequently as possible, due to the convenience of avoiding lengthy conversations.
-- This is totally opposite with the tone of the passage.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619388 [0]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Expert Reply
guerrero25 wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Electronic communications such as email, text messages, chats, and posts on the "walls" of social media sites are considered by psychologists to be "impersonal" forms of communication, meaning that the sender of the communication is distant from the receiver of the communication. This separation often results in misinterpretation by the recipient. Since such communications are also primarily one-way interactions, there is no chance for the sender of the communication to realize and correct the misinterpretation. Electronic communications should therefore be ____________.

(A) Used only when face-to-face communications are not possible.

(B) Written in straightforward language that is not liable to various different interpretations.

(C) Used in situations where personal communications might be embarrassing.

(D) Forbidden in professional occupations, such as medicine and law.

(E) Used as frequently as possible, due to the convenience of avoiding lengthy conversations.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Correct Answer: B

Solution: B. This question requires the completion of a paragraph, the signal word just before the blank is "therefore" this is a conclusion word which indicates that the answer choice is a conclusion and this is an inference question. Four of the answer choices go beyond what is covered in the stimulus. Choices A and D propose limitation on the use of electronic communications that are not directly supported by the stimulus. Choice C speaks of embarrassing situations and is beyond the scope of the stimulus. Choice E is completely unsupported as the tone of the stimulus is caution in the use of electronic communication. Choice B is the answer that is most supported given that the stimulus is designed to point out the problems of misinterpretation of electronic messages.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6861 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Montyyy95 wrote:
Why option A is wrong?

Hello, Montyyy95. I am surprised to see so much dialogue above about option (A). It is a clear overstatement of the case. Notice the absolute language:

(A) Used only when face-to-face communications are not possible.

The psychologists in the passage mention electronic communications as "impersonal" forms of communication, nothing more. Nowhere do they pass judgment on when people ought to use such forms of communication. The issue, rather, is one of misinterpretation by the recipient, and the line that follows in the passage reinforces this notion, using that very word, misinterpretation:

Since such communications are also primarily one-way interactions, there is no chance for the sender of the communication to realize and correct the misinterpretation.

We can conclude that the blank will necessarily tie into this notion of misinterpretation, and only choice (B) does so in a direct and supportable manner. To be honest, I saw choices (A) and (D) as one and the same, placing restrictions on when electronic communications ought to be used, with the former creating an absolute condition using only and the latter using forbidden instead. (Choice (C) is not as definitive with might be, but the idea is similar.)

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Correct choice is B option.

TIP: When solving Complete the logic questions, always pay attention to the last 2-3 lines and notice the thing to whom the author is giving importance.

Here that thing is Different Interpretations.

A) Used only when face-to-face communications are not possible.

Limitation of Electronic communication, no discussion about Interpretations.

(B) Written in straightforward language that is not liable to various different interpretations- Correct

(C) Used in situations where personal communications might be embarrassing.
Out of Scope

(D) Forbidden in professional occupations, such as medicine and law.
Same as B

(E) Used as frequently as possible, due to the convenience of avoiding lengthy conversations.
Completely opposite.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts