Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 18:34 It is currently 12 May 2024, 18:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623247 [0]
Given Kudos: 81833
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Esther is giving Christmas presents to her family members. Each family [#permalink]
itskAKku wrote:
Esther is giving Christmas presents to her family members. Each family member gets the same number of presents and no presents were leftover. If each family member gets at least one present, did each family member receive more than one present?

(1) Esther has forty Christmas presents to give out. - Statement 1 is clearly insufficient, for we don't know the number of members.

(2) If the number of family members were doubled, it would not be possible for each family member to get at least one present -

Ok, let's consider a case.

Let the number of family members be 10 and the number of gifts be 15. The statement says that if the number of faimly member is doubled (So, the number of family member becomes 20), Everyone won't receive a give. Some would be left out. And the case that we took fits very well. 20 members won't be able to share the 15 gifts while ensuring that each member gets a gift. Hence when considering with 10 people and dividing 15 gifts among then, not all the members gets more than one. There will always be individuals limited to just one gift. - Hence, this one is sufficient.
Therefore B.

Correct me if I am wrong. :)

Hi itskAKku
We cannot take family members to be 10 since the stimulus states that each member must receive the same number of gifts with no gifts left out. In your case, 15 gifts cannot be divided equally among 10 members, so the starting condition cannot taken as that to begin with
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Esther is giving Christmas presents to her family members. Each family [#permalink]
Ivy17 wrote:

Hi itskAKku
We cannot take family members to be 10 since the stimulus states that each member must receive the same number of gifts with no gifts left out. In your case, 15 gifts cannot be divided equally among 10 members, so the starting condition cannot taken as that to begin with

Yeah you have a point. I completely agree with you. Thank you for pointing that out :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
itskAKku wrote:
Ivy17 wrote:

Hi itskAKku

Yeah you have a point. I completely agree with you. Thank you for pointing that out :)

No worries! However the correct answer mentioned is B,but I've posted my query above in the very first post. Could you take a look at the query and help me understand how statement 2 is sufficient?

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2305 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Ivy17 wrote:
Bunuel zhanbo, can you help me understand how statement 2 is sufficient?
Say there are 20 gifts and 20 members initially, so each member gets 1 gift, but now when we double the number of members of the family to 40 then not all will get atleast 1 gift. In this case the answer to out stimulus will each family member initially does not receive more than 1 gift, however if we take the number of gifts to be 6 and the number of members to be 2, then initially each gets 3 gifts each but when we double it to 4, then not all will get atleast 1 gift. In this case we can see that each family member initially receives more than 1 gift.

if we take the number of gifts to be 6 and the number of members to be 2, then initially each gets 3 gifts each.
Now, if we double the family number to be 4.
With 6 gifts to give out, each of the family number can still get at least 1 gift.
(Not all of them will get 2 gifts, though.)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
zhanbo wrote:
Ivy17 wrote:
Bunuel zhanbo, can you help me understand how statement 2 is sufficient?
Say there are 20 gifts and 20 members initially, so each member gets 1 gift, but now when we double the number of members of the family to 40 then not all will get atleast 1 gift. In this case the answer to out stimulus will each family member initially does not receive more than 1 gift, however if we take the number of gifts to be 6 and the number of members to be 2, then initially each gets 3 gifts each but when we double it to 4, then not all will get atleast 1 gift. In this case we can see that each family member initially receives more than 1 gift.

if we take the number of gifts to be 6 and the number of members to be 2, then initially each gets 3 gifts each.
Now, if we double the family number to be 4.
With 6 gifts to give out, each of the family number can still get at least 1 gift.
(Not all of them will get 2 gifts, though.)

Ah understood, thanks a lot zhanbo! :)

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93184 posts