Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 17:49 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 17:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [2]

Send PM
Re: Why You Should Use LSAT Tests for GMAT RC & CR [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatophobia wrote:
Hello Experts - GMATNinja, KarishmaB,MartyTargetTestPrep,

Do you have a list of question types that appear in LSAT CR but are either not tested in the GMAT or appear very rarely?

Few topics/types of questions that I know of (please correct me if I am wrong here)

Parallel Reasoning (very rare in GMAT)

Main Point (asked in GMAT RC, I don't remember seeing an official CR question testing the main point question)

Conclusion-type questions (tested as a part of boldface, not standalone if I am correct). Referring to questions with stem similar to "Which one of the following best expresses the conclusion presented in the argument?"

Any other such as the ones listed above?

As the number of available LSAT questions is HUGE, wanted to know which questions can be ignored while solving LSAT questions.

Also - apart from boldface is there any type of questions that are tested in the GMAT but do not appear in the LSAT?

Thanks in advance for your reply :)

This might sound counterintuitive, but in our experience, it's not really worth "filtering" out question types that don't show up on the GMAT. The underlying skills (e.g. reading precision, paying attention to modifiers, structural thinking) are the same, so it's all good practice.

Just as importantly, we're big fans of the data that can come from doing full LSAT sets. If you're seeing quite a bit of variation in your times or accuracy, that means that you're doing something differently, since each set of ~25 LSAT questions is roughly the same difficulty level. You can also compare RC and CR sets: if you're quite a bit worse (or even just slower) at one than the other, that's a sign that something is glitchy in your approach.

That said, we rarely waste time reviewing parallel reasoning questions with our students, so if you're going to skip any, those are probably first on the chopping block; we don't obsess over questions that ask "which of the following principles, if established...", either.

The other question types you mentioned probably aren't different enough to be worth removing -- "main point" questions aren't so different from GMAT main idea questions, and most GMAT CR questions require you to identify the conclusion (even if very few questions ask you for it directly).

Don't get me wrong: I'm not suggesting that LSAT questions and GMAT questions are identical. There are plenty of differences -- I just don't think that those differences do much to reduce the value of LSAT questions for GMAT students. So for most test-takers, it's not worth the effort to remove certain question types, since you'll get cleaner data if you keep the sets intact.

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
Send PM
Can one then skip practicing the "Similar Reasoning" / "Parallel Reasoning" questions on LSAT if preparing for GMAT?

GMATNinja wrote:

Using LSAT Tests for GMAT CR and RC

If you’re a regular visitor to the GMAT Club verbal forums, you might already be familiar with the painful fact that it can be difficult to improve on GMAT CR and RC. Unless you’re one of the lucky few who can effortlessly conquer CR and RC, you probably also know that there are no magic formulas or quick fixes on CR or RC.

Some of my favorite stories of GMAT glory come from test-takers who improved by leaps and bounds after Herculean efforts on CR and RC. After several years(!) of battling the GMAT, GMAT Club legend Abhishek.pitti completed his quest from 420 to 570 to 590 to 700 to HBS only after he started focusing on CR and RC.
I once worked with a student who did 4,000 CR and RC practice questions – and she was rewarded with a 750 and a ticket to HBS.

Hopefully, you won’t need to take your CR and RC studies to such extremes. But if you think that you’ll need extra practice on CR and RC, you might consider using our favorite non-GMAT tool: official LSAT questions.

LSAT questions aren’t perfect for everybody, but here are a few reasons why the LSAT might be a worthwhile supplement to your GMAT study materials:

Reason #1: you’re running out of official GMAT RC and CR questions

As many of you know, absolutely nothing beats official GMAT questions. The GMAT spends somewhere between $1500 and $3000 perfecting every single test question – and even the very best test-prep companies simply can’t compete with that.

But there’s a huge problem: there really aren’t that many official GMAT questions available to us. The GMAT OGs, the official verbal review guides, and the GMATPrep Question Pack offer a grand total of around 400 CR and 400 RC questions, even if you dive into older editions of the books. That might sound like a lot, but if you do 20 CRs and 20 RCs every day, you’ll exhaust the supply in a few weeks.

The LSAT is the next-best thing. Each LSAT question is painstakingly tested and vetted – just like official GMAT questions. And the supply of official LSAT questions is nearly limitless: there are currently about 80 official LSAT exams in print, each of which contains roughly 50 CR questions (known as logical reasoning on the LSAT) and 25 RC questions, for a grand total of around 6000(!!) high-quality practice questions.

So if you need extra CR or RC practice, you’ll never run out of LSAT materials.

Reason #2: official LSAT questions are harder than most GMAT questions

Another problem with the official GMAT questions is that many of them are too easy if you’re shooting for a GMAT score of 650 or above. The OGs and Question Pack feature a reasonably representative cross-section of questions, ranging from the very easiest (“200-level questions,” in theory) to the very toughest (“800-level questions”). So if you crave a top-tier GMAT score, perhaps only the toughest 50% of GMAT Official Guide questions will give you an adequate verbal workout.

But LSAT questions are consistently really, really tough. If we imagine that the questions in the GMAT OGs range in difficulty from 200 to 800, I’d argue that LSAT questions range from something like 500 to 850. LSAT RC passages are, on average, much longer than GMAT RC passages, and the language is generally more challenging than anything you’ll encounter on the GMAT. And that’s wonderful if you’re striving for an elite GMAT score. Even if your reading skills are absolutely spectacular, we promise that the hardest LSAT CR and RC questions will make you sweat.

So if you want to work out your reading muscles at a high level, nothing in the test-prep world is better than retired LSAT exams.

Reason #3: the differences between LSAT and GMAT questions are mostly cosmetic

Let’s be honest: the LSAT isn’t exactly the GMAT. LSAT RC passages are, on average, longer and wordier than their GMAT counterparts. The GMAT prefers realistic-sounding passages about business and politics, while the LSAT often strays into abstract philosophical, literary, and legal topics. Many LSAT answer choices sound like “legalese,” with plenty of mumbo-jumbo about premises and patterns of reasoning. And some LSAT question types – most notably the parallel reasoning questions – barely appear on the GMAT at all.

But after assigning LSAT questions to hundreds of GMAT students over the years, we're convinced that the LSAT is 100% worthwhile for anybody chasing an elite score. Despite the cosmetic differences between the two tests, the skills required to succeed on the LSAT are exactly the same as those needed to beat the GMAT: you’ll need to read the passages with pinpoint precision, apply airtight logic, have a flawless understanding of the structure and scope of the passage, and ensure that outside information never sneaks into your thought process.

The bottom line: if you can consistently crush LSAT questions, you’ll do really, really well on GMAT CR and RC.

Ready to get started?

I’m the first to admit that a pile of LSAT books won’t magically cure all of your GMAT verbal problems. If you’re struggling with the language or logic of basic GMAT verbal questions, the LSAT might be overkill. In the long run, LSAT questions can definitely help you improve your fundamental reading and logical skills – but they’re no magic bullet, and they can be demoralizing if your skills aren’t already pretty good.

But if you’re interested in challenging yourself with some LSAT materials, I’d recommend starting with the 25 RC and 50 CR (“logical reasoning”) questions available in sections 2-4 of the free, official test on the LSAT website. (I’d also recommend ignoring the LSAT’s ridiculous time limit of 35 minutes per section. If you can do each set of 25 questions in less than an hour, you’re doing great.)

If you want more, you can move on to any of the LSAT’s creatively-named books: 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests, or The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests, or any other similarly-named book – though none of them include answer explanations. Alternatively, you could pick up The Official LSAT SuperPrep I or The Official LSAT SuperPrep II, each of which includes three tests with detailed, official explanations.

Got questions? Feel free to ask us anything about the LSAT below.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
kittle wrote:
Can one then skip practicing the "Similar Reasoning" / "Parallel Reasoning" questions on LSAT if preparing for GMAT?

It's true that you're very unlikely to encounter these kinds of questions on the GMAT.

However, one of the key attributes of LSAT sections is that you can compare your results from one set to the next. Skipping questions will add in some variance to that nice, clean data. For example, let's say that you made 5 errors on one LSAT section and 8 on another. Did you make fewer errors because you skipped more questions, or because you improved? Of course you can try to account for those kinds of differences, but we recommend that you do the set in its entirety in order to get cleaner information.

Additionally, the same basic CR process will work just as well on the "LSAT-y" questions as it does on the more typical "GMAT-y" questions. So you can still get good practice on something like a parallel reasoning question, even if that exact question type shows up very rarely on the GMAT.

When you review your mistakes, that's when you might treat the "LSAT-y" questions differently. You'll want to focus on the ones that seem easiest -- did you make a silly mistake on an easy question? That's the sort of mistake you'll want to take note of, because missing stuff like that will kill your GMAT score. By contrast, there's no need to spend a bunch of time and energy reviewing a tough parallel reasoning question.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT Focus 1:
645 Q80 V83 DI82
GPA: 2.96
Send PM
GMATNinja Hey! I had a quick question about using LSAT prep-materials for my CR/RC prep :) I've started doing the 'Actual Exam' series of questions and was wondering which sections I should be attempting of the LSAT. There are 4 sections there, are all of them relevant?

Cheers and many thanks!
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
This might sound counterintuitive, but in our experience, it's not really worth "filtering" out question types that don't show up on the GMAT. The underlying skills (e.g. reading precision, paying attention to modifiers, structural thinking) are the same, so it's all good practice.

Just as importantly, we're big fans of the data that can come from doing full LSAT sets. If you're seeing quite a bit of variation in your times or accuracy, that means that you're doing something differently, since each set of ~25 LSAT questions is roughly the same difficulty level. You can also compare RC and CR sets: if you're quite a bit worse (or even just slower) at one than the other, that's a sign that something is glitchy in your approach.

That said, we rarely waste time reviewing parallel reasoning questions with our students, so if you're going to skip any, those are probably first on the chopping block; we don't obsess over questions that ask "which of the following principles, if established...", either.

The other question types you mentioned probably aren't different enough to be worth removing -- "main point" questions aren't so different from GMAT main idea questions, and most GMAT CR questions require you to identify the conclusion (even if very few questions ask you for it directly).

Don't get me wrong: I'm not suggesting that LSAT questions and GMAT questions are identical. There are plenty of differences -- I just don't think that those differences do much to reduce the value of LSAT questions for GMAT students. So for most test-takers, it's not worth the effort to remove certain question types, since you'll get cleaner data if you keep the sets intact.

I hope that helps!

Hello GMATNinja,

Thanks for your reply. Do you also recommend attempting the two-passage RCs from LSAT prep tests while taking the full LSAT sets? Essentially, I am trying to assess whether it is recommended to invest time in practicing two-passage RCs given the fact that they do not appear in the GMAT. However, if attempting them is needed to maintain the time or accuracy levels in the LSAT set (i.e. not attempting them may disturb the consistency of the set), I am all in. :)

Request you to please share your thoughts on the same.

Appreciate your reply as always!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [3]

Send PM
Kudos