Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:09 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 188
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 188
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Why You Should Use LSAT Tests for GMAT RC & CR [#permalink]
The beginner's guide helped me find the problem at least - I think i fall in love with the first answer that kind of/sort of strikes me as correct and from there on its me defending that answer against others. And you very rightly pointed it out here,"And if you’re struggling on CR, I’ll bet that you’re missing those little modifiers more often than you’d like."

It's a very good post. Need to spend more time on it.

Thank you so much GMATNinja!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bakshi wrote:
The beginner's guide helped me find the problem at least - I think i fall in love with the first answer that kind of/sort of strikes me as correct and from there on its me defending that answer against others. And you very rightly pointed it out here,"And if you’re struggling on CR, I’ll bet that you’re missing those little modifiers more often than you’d like."

It's a very good post. Need to spend more time on it.

Thank you so much GMATNinja!

Awesome, I'm glad that the post got you somewhere!

One last thought: if you do decide to jump into the LSATs, one goal should be to have your RC results roughly match your CR ("logical reasoning") results, both in terms of accuracy and timing. My bet is that the "falling in love" and "missing modifier" issues are hurting you more on CR than on RC. Once you've mostly fixed those issues, your results should look basically the same on RC and CR.

Good luck with your studies!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 201
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q163 V155
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
Hello everyone,

does any of you have the pdf/link for Lsat practice RC passages.

I found only 3 rc's on their website
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5430 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
saurabh9gupta wrote:
Hello everyone,

does any of you have the pdf/link for Lsat practice RC passages.

I found only 3 rc's on their website

Hey saurabh9gupta ,

Here you go: https://gmatclub.com/forum/lsat-rc-coll ... 50720.html

Good luck :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Using LSAT for GMAT CR and RC

If you’re a regular visitor to the GMAT Club verbal forums, you might already be familiar with the painful fact that it can be difficult to improve on GMAT CR and RC. Unless you’re one of the lucky few who can effortlessly conquer CR and RC, you probably also know that there are no magic formulas or quick fixes on CR or RC.

Some of my favorite stories of GMAT glory come from test-takers who improved by leaps and bounds after Herculean efforts on CR and RC. After several years(!) of battling the GMAT, GMAT Club legend Abhishek.pitti completed his quest from 420 to 570 to 590 to 700 to HBS only after he started focusing on CR and RC.
I once worked with a student who did 4,000 CR and RC practice questions – and she was rewarded with a 750 and a ticket to HBS.

Hopefully, you won’t need to take your CR and RC studies to such extremes. But if you think that you’ll need extra practice on CR and RC, you might consider using our favorite non-GMAT tool: official LSAT questions.

LSAT questions aren’t perfect for everybody, but here are a few reasons why the LSAT might be a worthwhile supplement to your GMAT study materials:

Reason #1: you’re running out of official GMAT RC and CR questions

As many of you know, absolutely nothing beats official GMAT questions. The GMAT spends somewhere between $1500 and $3000 perfecting every single test question – and even the very best test-prep companies simply can’t compete with that.

But there’s a huge problem: there really aren’t that many official GMAT questions available to us. The GMAT OGs, the official verbal review guides, and the GMATPrep Question Pack offer a grand total of around 400 CR and 400 RC questions, even if you dive into older editions of the books. That might sound like a lot, but if you do 20 CRs and 20 RCs every day, you’ll exhaust the supply in a few weeks.

The LSAT is the next-best thing. Each LSAT question is painstakingly tested and vetted – just like official GMAT questions. And the supply of official LSAT questions is nearly limitless: there are currently about 80 official LSAT exams in print, each of which contains roughly 50 CR questions (known as logical reasoning on the LSAT) and 25 RC questions, for a grand total of around 6000(!!) high-quality practice questions.

So if you need extra CR or RC practice, you’ll never run out of LSAT materials.

Reason #2: official LSAT questions are harder than most GMAT questions

Another problem with the official GMAT questions is that many of them are too easy if you’re shooting for a GMAT score of 650 or above. The OGs and Question Pack feature a reasonably representative cross-section of questions, ranging from the very easiest (“200-level questions,” in theory) to the very toughest (“800-level questions”). So if you crave a top-tier GMAT score, perhaps only the toughest 50% of GMAT Official Guide questions will give you an adequate verbal workout.

But LSAT questions are consistently really, really tough. If we imagine that the questions in the GMAT OGs range in difficulty from 200 to 800, I’d argue that LSAT questions range from something like 500 to 850. LSAT RC passages are, on average, much longer than GMAT RC passages, and the language is generally more challenging than anything you’ll encounter on the GMAT. And that’s wonderful if you’re striving for an elite GMAT score. Even if your reading skills are absolutely spectacular, we promise that the hardest LSAT CR and RC questions will make you sweat.

So if you want to work out your reading muscles at a high level, nothing in the test-prep world is better than retired LSAT exams.

Reason #3: the differences between LSAT and GMAT questions are mostly cosmetic

Let’s be honest: the LSAT isn’t exactly the GMAT. LSAT RC passages are, on average, longer and wordier than their GMAT counterparts. The GMAT prefers realistic-sounding passages about business and politics, while the LSAT often strays into abstract philosophical, literary, and legal topics. Many LSAT answer choices sound like “legalese,” with plenty of mumbo-jumbo about premises and patterns of reasoning. And some LSAT question types – most notably the parallel reasoning questions – barely appear on the GMAT at all.

But after assigning LSAT questions to hundreds of GMAT students over the years, we're convinced that the LSAT is 100% worthwhile for anybody chasing an elite score. Despite the cosmetic differences between the two tests, the skills required to succeed on the LSAT are exactly the same as those needed to beat the GMAT: you’ll need to read the passages with pinpoint precision, apply airtight logic, have a flawless understanding of the structure and scope of the passage, and ensure that outside information never sneaks into your thought process.

The bottom line: if you can consistently crush LSAT questions, you’ll do really, really well on GMAT CR and RC.

Ready to get started?

I’m the first to admit that a pile of LSAT books won’t magically cure all of your GMAT verbal problems. If you’re struggling with the language or logic of basic GMAT verbal questions, the LSAT might be overkill. In the long run, LSAT questions can definitely help you improve your fundamental reading and logical skills – but they’re no magic bullet, and they can be demoralizing if your skills aren’t already pretty good.

But if you’re interested in challenging yourself with some LSAT materials, I’d recommend starting with the 25 RC and 50 CR (“logical reasoning”) questions available in sections 2-4 of the free, official test on the LSAT website. (I’d also recommend ignoring the LSAT’s ridiculous time limit of 35 minutes per section. If you can do each set of 25 questions in less than an hour, you’re doing great.)

If you want more, you can move on to any of the LSAT’s creatively-named books: 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests, or The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests, or any other similarly-named book – though none of them include answer explanations. Alternatively, you could pick up The Official LSAT SuperPrep I or The Official LSAT SuperPrep II, each of which includes three tests with detailed, official explanations.

Got questions? Feel free to ask us anything about the LSAT below.
Hi GMATNinja, what materials should anyone study the concepts behind the LSAT CR & RC?

I HAVE A COPY OF Power score LSAT Bible, is it enough?

Sent from my BAC-L21 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Dear GMATNinja,
Thank you for this wonderful post. After reading your post, I am excited to find out about official LSAT RC and LR material . I was looking for additional material to boost my GMAT Verbal scores and I agree with you that LSAT RC and LR material can be helpful.

In summary, my question here is, just like I can now work with Official LSAT RC and LR problems, are there any place I can find high quality Sentence Correction material outside of Official GMAT resources? LSAT does not have SC sections.

To give you a brief background information, I scored 730 (Q50/V38) on an official GMAT back in 2013. That score has expired and now I am trying to retake the GMAT to apply to business school hopefully this fall. I retook official GMAT's this summer and have canceled those scores because I am not happy with my scores.
Here's what I got in April and May this year (2019):

700 (Q49, V35, IR8) on April 24, 2019
720 (Q49, V40, IR7) on May 11, 2019
720 (Q49, V40, IR8) on May 28, 2019

From the ESR's as you can see below, it seems like my strengths and weaknesses vary from one test to another:
April 24 —> May 11 —> May 28
Sub-section rankings:
CR - 65th —> 94th —> 88th

RC - 88th —> 76th —> 60th

SC - 59th —> 81st —> 96th

My target score this summer is 750 (Q50, V42) and to get that extra 2+ points in the Verbal section, I see that I need to work on all CR, RC, and SC. I am excited to find out that working with Official LSAT LR and RC problems could give me that boost I need. But to balance things out, where can I find extra SC material as I am running out of GMAT SC material?

Thank you so much in advance for your kind advice.
=)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [4]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
serpent333 wrote:
Dear GMATNinja,
Thank you for this wonderful post. After reading your post, I am excited to find out about official LSAT RC and LR material . I was looking for additional material to boost my GMAT Verbal scores and I agree with you that LSAT RC and LR material can be helpful.

In summary, my question here is, just like I can now work with Official LSAT RC and LR problems, are there any place I can find high quality Sentence Correction material outside of Official GMAT resources?

Glad that you enjoyed the post, and thank you for the kind words!

Sadly, the answer to your question about SC is no. The SAT and ACT (United States undergraduate entrance exams, for anybody who's unfamiliar) have messed around with their own versions of sentence correction, but they're radically different from the GMAT, and won't help you at all, unfortunately. So you're stuck with official GMAT materials for SC.

It stinks, but the best thing is to use those official GMAT questions very, very carefully from the beginning. If you've mostly used newer editions of the OGs, you could also try running through older editions (say, OG 12 + verbal 1st or 2nd) for some new questions -- carcass 's rundown of those OG editions is available here. And if you completely exhaust the GMATPrep tests, you can download all of the GMATPrep verbal questions from carcass 's post here, as long as you promise to give the man some kudos. :)

Quote:
To give you a brief background information, I scored 730 (Q50/V38) on an official GMAT back in 2013. That score has expired and now I am trying to retake the GMAT to apply to business school hopefully this fall. I retook official GMAT's this summer and have canceled those scores because I am not happy with my scores.
Here's what I got in April and May this year (2019):

700 (Q49, V35, IR8) on April 24, 2019
720 (Q49, V40, IR7) on May 11, 2019
720 (Q49, V40, IR8) on May 28, 2019

From the ESR's as you can see below, it seems like my strengths and weaknesses vary from one test to another:
April 24 —> May 11 —> May 28
Sub-section rankings:
CR - 65th —> 94th —> 88th

RC - 88th —> 76th —> 60th

SC - 59th —> 81st —> 96th

Oh man, this is juicy. I see this sort of thing all the time with our students, but it doesn't cross my radar screen all that often on GMAT Club.

For starters, you'll always want to take those "question-level" subscores with a HUGE grain of salt. Your SC, CR, and RC scores are calculated using about 10 questions each, so they're incredibly sensitive. Think of it this way: if you took a national public opinion poll and surveyed just 10 people, how accurate do you think your poll would be? The same is true here: funny things can happen in a 10-question sample size.

That said, those swings aren't small, so there's definitely something going on there. My hunch is that you're broadly inconsistent in your approach to verbal questions, but that's a long conversation for another time and place. ;) The good news is that your underlying skills are probably pretty darned good if you can get scores that high on occasion, so that's worth something.

Sorry that I don't have better news on SC, though. I hope this still helps a bit!
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5744 [2]
Given Kudos: 3057
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
Why wasn't I aware of this? I am pro LSAT all the way! *No bias* *No B.S.* *Just J.D.*
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nightblade354 wrote:
Why wasn't I aware of this? I am pro LSAT all the way! *No bias* *No B.S.* *Just J.D.*

Aw man, I thought that all moderators were required to read and memorize all of the articles in my ludicrously bloated forum signature! ;)

For anybody out there who ends up doing a lot of the LSAT CR questions here on GMAT Club, nightblade354 is one of the guys who does a killer job of breaking those down. So I might be ruining his life here, but he's a good guy to tag in whenever you have questions on LSAT stuff.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
WE:Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja, RE:"you could also try running through older editions (say, OG 12 + verbal 1st or 2nd) for some new questions -- carcass 's rundown of those OG editions is available here. And if you completely exhaust the GMATPrep tests, you can download all of the GMATPrep verbal questions from carcass 's post here, as long as you promise to give the man some kudos."

Thank you for your thorough response. That was super helpful.

I did not know that older editions of OG would have questions that are not included in the newer OG editions. I erroneously thought that older OGs ALWAYS constitute subsets of newer OG editions; but I am learning that I was wrong. Thank you once again! :cool: :)
Tutor
Affiliations: GMAT Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 860 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
GMAT 5: 780 Q51 V48
Send PM
Expert Reply
shinrai15 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
For more on the LSAT, check out this fantastic thread from a few years ago: https://gmatclub.com/forum/lsat-books-f ... 97191.html

Hi,

I wanted to check if threre is any free source for LSAT RC passages..with explanations?

Thanks in advance!

Shinrai

Yes, fortunately Khan Academy is now an excellent resource -- it includes 10 practice tests with explanations, as well as many additional practice questions targeting specific question types: https://www.khanacademy.org/prep/lsat/practice.

On the practice tests, you can easily skip through the Analytical Reasoning sections, and it also may make sense to set a goal of completing less than a full section within the allotted time (Khan Academy doesn't allow you to continue working past the 35 minutes per section). 27 RC questions from 4 passages in 35 minutes is very tough -- completing 3 of the 4 passages is still challenging but is more reasonable and closer to the GMAT pace.

I recommend skipping the Parallel Reasoning questions on Logical Reasoning, because they are very tough and are rare on the actual GMAT.

Also note that the average question difficulty increases as you proceed through a Logical Reasoning section.

I've attached a screenshot below.
Attachments

Khan Academy LSAT Practice.png
Khan Academy LSAT Practice.png [ 142.17 KiB | Viewed 4024 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:

Aw man, I thought that all moderators were required to read and memorize all of the articles in my ludicrously bloated forum signature! ;)

For anybody out there who ends up doing a lot of the LSAT CR questions here on GMAT Club, nightblade354 is one of the guys who does a killer job of breaking those down. So I might be ruining his life here, but he's a good guy to tag in whenever you have questions on LSAT stuff.

GMATNinja

I used to score 5/8, 6/9 types in GMAT RC questions irrespective of the source.
Now, Ive gone through a few LSAT RCs and Im incredibly scoring more, something like 6/8, 7/9 types.

The improvement isnt vast and the idea is ofcourse to nail every answer, but is it weird that Im finding the LSAT RCs a lot more easier than the GMAT RCs?
Maybe it could be because of the predictable nature/order of the questions (Main Point, Highlighted Meaning, Intended Meaning, Purpose)

What I understood though is that the inference level questions are much less in number and less harder on the LSAT than the ones in the GMAT.
I remember struggling to connect information across paras in GMAT to arrive at an inference. I dont have that difficulty in LSAT RCs. The meaning of any whole LSAT RC, to me, is lucid and quite straightforward.

Am not able to say the same for GMAT.
Any thoughts?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
ask1 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:

GMATNinja

I used to score 5/8, 6/9 types in GMAT RC questions irrespective of the source.
Now, Ive gone through a few LSAT RCs and Im incredibly scoring more, something like 6/8, 7/9 types.

The improvement isnt vast and the idea is ofcourse to nail every answer, but is it weird that Im finding the LSAT RCs a lot more easier than the GMAT RCs?
Maybe it could be because of the predictable nature/order of the questions (Main Point, Highlighted Meaning, Intended Meaning, Purpose)

What I understood though is that the inference level questions are much less in number and less harder on the LSAT than the ones in the GMAT.
I remember struggling to connect information across paras in GMAT to arrive at an inference. I dont have that difficulty in LSAT RCs. The meaning of any whole LSAT RC, to me, is lucid and quite straightforward.

Am not able to say the same for GMAT.
Any thoughts?

I'm glad that you're seeing some improvement in your results!

To be honest, it is a little bit unusual to perform better on LSAT RC questions than on GMAT RC questions. For most people, the LSAT questions are at least a little bit more difficult.

A few thoughts:

1. LSAT RC passages are pretty much always the same length. Occasionally, test-takers will become really comfortable with the LSAT's long passages, but then have a little bit of a hard time with the fact that GMAT passages vary in length. That's not common, but it's plausible.
    2. I'd want to make sure that the numbers you're citing hold up over a larger sample -- as soon as you say "something like 6/8", I'm inclined to ask you to look more systematically at the data. Are you sure that you're making an apples-to-apples comparison here? If you compare your results on 100 LSAT RC questions to your results on 100 official GMAT RC questions, do you still perform better on the LSAT questions? Keep in mind that the questions in the GMAT official guides vary in difficulty, but every LSAT set (~25 questions) is pretty close to the same difficulty as every other LSAT set.
    3. Partly because LSAT sections are so consistent in difficulty, think of LSAT practice as an opportunity to develop a solid, consistent process that you execute on EVERY TIME. Ideally, you'll want to see very similar results on every single set -- just be aware that some questions are really, really hard, and it's totally normal to get stumped every so often. But you should get stumped about the same number of times on every set.

In other words: you might want to stick with LSATs until you nail down your process, and then the same lucidity that you feel about LSAT passages should be there for you when you switch to GMAT material.

I hope that helps a bit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Using LSAT for GMAT CR and RC

If you’re a regular visitor to the GMAT Club verbal forums, you might already be familiar with the painful fact that it can be difficult to improve on GMAT CR and RC. Unless you’re one of the lucky few who can effortlessly conquer CR and RC, you probably also know that there are no magic formulas or quick fixes on CR or RC.

Some of my favorite stories of GMAT glory come from test-takers who improved by leaps and bounds after Herculean efforts on CR and RC. After several years(!) of battling the GMAT, GMAT Club legend Abhishek.pitti completed his quest from 420 to 570 to 590 to 700 to HBS only after he started focusing on CR and RC.
I once worked with a student who did 4,000 CR and RC practice questions – and she was rewarded with a 750 and a ticket to HBS.

Hopefully, you won’t need to take your CR and RC studies to such extremes. But if you think that you’ll need extra practice on CR and RC, you might consider using our favorite non-GMAT tool: official LSAT questions.

LSAT questions aren’t perfect for everybody, but here are a few reasons why the LSAT might be a worthwhile supplement to your GMAT study materials:

Reason #1: you’re running out of official GMAT RC and CR questions

As many of you know, absolutely nothing beats official GMAT questions. The GMAT spends somewhere between $1500 and $3000 perfecting every single test question – and even the very best test-prep companies simply can’t compete with that.

But there’s a huge problem: there really aren’t that many official GMAT questions available to us. The GMAT OGs, the official verbal review guides, and the GMATPrep Question Pack offer a grand total of around 400 CR and 400 RC questions, even if you dive into older editions of the books. That might sound like a lot, but if you do 20 CRs and 20 RCs every day, you’ll exhaust the supply in a few weeks.

The LSAT is the next-best thing. Each LSAT question is painstakingly tested and vetted – just like official GMAT questions. And the supply of official LSAT questions is nearly limitless: there are currently about 80 official LSAT exams in print, each of which contains roughly 50 CR questions (known as logical reasoning on the LSAT) and 25 RC questions, for a grand total of around 6000(!!) high-quality practice questions.

So if you need extra CR or RC practice, you’ll never run out of LSAT materials.

Reason #2: official LSAT questions are harder than most GMAT questions

Another problem with the official GMAT questions is that many of them are too easy if you’re shooting for a GMAT score of 650 or above. The OGs and Question Pack feature a reasonably representative cross-section of questions, ranging from the very easiest (“200-level questions,” in theory) to the very toughest (“800-level questions”). So if you crave a top-tier GMAT score, perhaps only the toughest 50% of GMAT Official Guide questions will give you an adequate verbal workout.

But LSAT questions are consistently really, really tough. If we imagine that the questions in the GMAT OGs range in difficulty from 200 to 800, I’d argue that LSAT questions range from something like 500 to 850. LSAT RC passages are, on average, much longer than GMAT RC passages, and the language is generally more challenging than anything you’ll encounter on the GMAT. And that’s wonderful if you’re striving for an elite GMAT score. Even if your reading skills are absolutely spectacular, we promise that the hardest LSAT CR and RC questions will make you sweat.

So if you want to work out your reading muscles at a high level, nothing in the test-prep world is better than retired LSAT exams.

Reason #3: the differences between LSAT and GMAT questions are mostly cosmetic

Let’s be honest: the LSAT isn’t exactly the GMAT. LSAT RC passages are, on average, longer and wordier than their GMAT counterparts. The GMAT prefers realistic-sounding passages about business and politics, while the LSAT often strays into abstract philosophical, literary, and legal topics. Many LSAT answer choices sound like “legalese,” with plenty of mumbo-jumbo about premises and patterns of reasoning. And some LSAT question types – most notably the parallel reasoning questions – barely appear on the GMAT at all.

But after assigning LSAT questions to hundreds of GMAT students over the years, we're convinced that the LSAT is 100% worthwhile for anybody chasing an elite score. Despite the cosmetic differences between the two tests, the skills required to succeed on the LSAT are exactly the same as those needed to beat the GMAT: you’ll need to read the passages with pinpoint precision, apply airtight logic, have a flawless understanding of the structure and scope of the passage, and ensure that outside information never sneaks into your thought process.

The bottom line: if you can consistently crush LSAT questions, you’ll do really, really well on GMAT CR and RC.

Ready to get started?

I’m the first to admit that a pile of LSAT books won’t magically cure all of your GMAT verbal problems. If you’re struggling with the language or logic of basic GMAT verbal questions, the LSAT might be overkill. In the long run, LSAT questions can definitely help you improve your fundamental reading and logical skills – but they’re no magic bullet, and they can be demoralizing if your skills aren’t already pretty good.

But if you’re interested in challenging yourself with some LSAT materials, I’d recommend starting with the 25 RC and 50 CR (“logical reasoning”) questions available in sections 2-4 of the free, official test on the LSAT website. (I’d also recommend ignoring the LSAT’s ridiculous time limit of 35 minutes per section. If you can do each set of 25 questions in less than an hour, you’re doing great.)

If you want more, you can move on to any of the LSAT’s creatively-named books: 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests, or The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests, or any other similarly-named book – though none of them include answer explanations. Alternatively, you could pick up The Official LSAT SuperPrep I or The Official LSAT SuperPrep II, each of which includes three tests with detailed, official explanations.

Got questions? Feel free to ask us anything about the LSAT below.

Hey, GMATNinja thanks for the advice . I have been using lsat for RC and i have seen alot of improvement!!!!! . I wanted to ask , can i use lsat questions for CR for 700+ questions too ? Is there any better source or this is best? I have done OGs and I just wanna perfect it to get 730+ score.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sv2023 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja I just gave the LSAT prep test 71 and scored a 17/25 in the CR section using around 55 mins for the exam, how far do you think I am from scoring a V40 in my actual GMAT exam? Any advice on how to bring this number of correct questions upto atleast a 20 out of 25 questions?
Would really appreciate your input. Thanks.

Hm, looks like this question disappeared from the thread. But if you're still here somewhere, sv2023, you're on the right track: as a very broad rule of thumb, I like your odds of hitting 40V if you can score 80% or above on LSAT CR and RC sections in under an hour.

For more on how to improve on CR, check out this CR guide for beginners, or our verbal videos. There's no magic bullet, but hopefully some of the processes in those resources help a bit.
Ross & Kellogg Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 717
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
sv2023 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja I just gave the LSAT prep test 71 and scored a 17/25 in the CR section using around 55 mins for the exam, how far do you think I am from scoring a V40 in my actual GMAT exam? Any advice on how to bring this number of correct questions upto atleast a 20 out of 25 questions?
Would really appreciate your input. Thanks.

Hm, looks like this question disappeared from the thread. But if you're still here somewhere, sv2023, you're on the right track: as a very broad rule of thumb, I like your odds of hitting 40V if you can score 80% or above on LSAT CR and RC sections in under an hour.

For more on how to improve on CR, check out this CR guide for beginners, or our verbal videos. There's no magic bullet, but hopefully some of the processes in those resources help a bit.

Hello,
Still here in GMAT's clutches, thanks for writing back Charles. This reply came at a good time as now I am just 2 weeks away from my exam. I hope the odds do remain in my favor. Please send me your seven blessings :p
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hey, GMATNinja thanks for the advice . I have been using lsat for RC and i have seen alot of improvement!!!!! . I wanted to ask , can i use lsat questions for CR for 700+ questions too ? Is there any better source or this is best? I have done OGs and I just wanna perfect it to get 730+ score.

Definitely. If you're looking for a super-high GMAT verbal score, I'm pretty convinced that LSATs are an indispensable way to practice, for both CR and RC.

In the GMAT OGs, the questions presumably span a full range of difficulty (from 200-level to 800-level, in theory). So if you're on track for a really high verbal score, quite a few of those GMAT questions -- half, maybe? -- aren't going to give you much of a challenge. But very few LSAT questions are truly easy, and many are pretty tough.

You definitely won't want to use anything other than official questions in your verbal prep, so if you need a supplement to the official GMAT questions, there's nothing better out there than the official LSAT tests. Some LSAT CR questions look a bit different from GMAT questions, but they're testing pretty much the exact same skills.

In other words: we're fans. :)

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts