Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 14:11 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 14:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [14]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Re: Why You Should Use LSAT Tests for GMAT RC & CR [#permalink]
GMATNinja I am scoring V33-35. Do you think I can use LSAT or I should be more skilled on verbal before using LSAT?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rma26 wrote:
GMATNinja I am scoring V33-35. Do you think I can use LSAT or I should be more skilled on verbal before using LSAT?

Sure, if you're worried about running out of official GMAT CR and RC questions, give the LSAT a shot! The LSATs will be a challenge if you're scoring in the 33-35 range, but not an overwhelming one -- and you'll definitely learn from them if you have the patience to absorb a little bit of a beating at times. :)

Try a few sets, and see what you think? If you can get 80% correct on the LSAT CR ("logical reasoning") and RC questions, that would be a sign of HUGE progress.

Let me know how it goes!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
rma26 wrote:

Sure, if you're worried about running out of official GMAT CR and RC questions, give the LSAT a shot! The LSATs will be a challenge if you're scoring in the 33-35 range, but not an overwhelming one -- and you'll definitely learn from them if you have the patience to absorb a little bit of a beating at times. :)

Try a few sets, and see what you think? If you can get 80% correct on the LSAT CR ("logical reasoning") and RC questions, that would be a sign of HUGE progress.

Let me know how it goes!

GMATNinja

This is me again. I finished all the LSAT passages (exam 62 to 72) and my overall accuracy was 70%. There were nights that i was tired but didn't want to give up on my practice and scored very law, say 25% (at least two passages) ; there were nights that i was feeling well, wasn't tired and scored pretty well, 100%(4 passages) and 85% per passage. In the meantime, i can see that my verbal score, specially with RC of GMAT passages has jumped by minimum 25%. For example very rarely i missed two questions per passage and my average missed question per passage is between 1 to 2 questions, mostly one question. Sadly enough those questions that i miss the most are inference.

Do you think that if i focus on official materials for August, it will be plenty of practice to fine tune my RC skills? I just finished OG 16 and its V review, but still have, if there is any new passages in, OG 18, V 18 and Question Packs.

Or, shall i go for another series of LSAT passage?

With Respect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [4]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
GMATNinja wrote:

Using LSAT for GMAT CR and RC

If you’re a regular visitor to the GMAT Club verbal forums, you might already be familiar with the painful fact that it can be difficult to improve on GMAT CR and RC. Unless you’re one of the lucky few who can effortlessly conquer CR and RC, you probably also know that there are no magic formulas or quick fixes on CR or RC.

Some of my favorite stories of GMAT glory come from test-takers who improved by leaps and bounds after Herculean efforts on CR and RC. After several years(!) of battling the GMAT, GMAT Club legend Abhishek.pitti completed his quest from 420 to 570 to 590 to 700 to HBS only after he started focusing on CR and RC.
I once worked with a student who did 4,000 CR and RC practice questions – and she was rewarded with a 750 and a ticket to HBS.

Hopefully, you won’t need to take your CR and RC studies to such extremes. But if you think that you’ll need extra practice on CR and RC, you might consider using our favorite non-GMAT tool: official LSAT questions.

LSAT questions aren’t perfect for everybody, but here are a few reasons why the LSAT might be a worthwhile supplement to your GMAT study materials:

Reason #1: you’re running out of official GMAT RC and CR questions

As many of you know, absolutely nothing beats official GMAT questions. The GMAT spends somewhere between $1500 and $3000 perfecting every single test question – and even the very best test-prep companies simply can’t compete with that.

But there’s a huge problem: there really aren’t that many official GMAT questions available to us. The GMAT OGs, the official verbal review guides, and the GMATPrep Question Pack offer a grand total of around 400 CR and 400 RC questions, even if you dive into older editions of the books. That might sound like a lot, but if you do 20 CRs and 20 RCs every day, you’ll exhaust the supply in a few weeks.

The LSAT is the next-best thing. Each LSAT question is painstakingly tested and vetted – just like official GMAT questions. And the supply of official LSAT questions is nearly limitless: there are currently about 80 official LSAT exams in print, each of which contains roughly 50 CR questions (known as logical reasoning on the LSAT) and 25 RC questions, for a grand total of around 6000(!!) high-quality practice questions.

So if you need extra CR or RC practice, you’ll never run out of LSAT materials.

Reason #2: official LSAT questions are harder than most GMAT questions

Another problem with the official GMAT questions is that many of them are too easy if you’re shooting for a GMAT score of 650 or above. The OGs and Question Pack feature a reasonably representative cross-section of questions, ranging from the very easiest (“200-level questions,” in theory) to the very toughest (“800-level questions”). So if you crave a top-tier GMAT score, perhaps only the toughest 50% of GMAT Official Guide questions will give you an adequate verbal workout.

But LSAT questions are consistently really, really tough. If we imagine that the questions in the GMAT OGs range in difficulty from 200 to 800, I’d argue that LSAT questions range from something like 500 to 850. LSAT RC passages are, on average, much longer than GMAT RC passages, and the language is generally more challenging than anything you’ll encounter on the GMAT. And that’s wonderful if you’re striving for an elite GMAT score. Even if your reading skills are absolutely spectacular, we promise that the hardest LSAT CR and RC questions will make you sweat.

So if you want to work out your reading muscles at a high level, nothing in the test-prep world is better than retired LSAT exams.

Reason #3: the differences between LSAT and GMAT questions are mostly cosmetic

Let’s be honest: the LSAT isn’t exactly the GMAT. LSAT RC passages are, on average, longer and wordier than their GMAT counterparts. The GMAT prefers realistic-sounding passages about business and politics, while the LSAT often strays into abstract philosophical, literary, and legal topics. Many LSAT answer choices sound like “legalese,” with plenty of mumbo-jumbo about premises and patterns of reasoning. And some LSAT question types – most notably the parallel reasoning questions – barely appear on the GMAT at all.

But after assigning LSAT questions to hundreds of GMAT students over the years, we're convinced that the LSAT is 100% worthwhile for anybody chasing an elite score. Despite the cosmetic differences between the two tests, the skills required to succeed on the LSAT are exactly the same as those needed to beat the GMAT: you’ll need to read the passages with pinpoint precision, apply airtight logic, have a flawless understanding of the structure and scope of the passage, and ensure that outside information never sneaks into your thought process.

The bottom line: if you can consistently crush LSAT questions, you’ll do really, really well on GMAT CR and RC.

Ready to get started?

I’m the first to admit that a pile of LSAT books won’t magically cure all of your GMAT verbal problems. If you’re struggling with the language or logic of basic GMAT verbal questions, the LSAT might be overkill. In the long run, LSAT questions can definitely help you improve your fundamental reading and logical skills – but they’re no magic bullet, and they can be demoralizing if your skills aren’t already pretty good.

But if you’re interested in challenging yourself with some LSAT materials, I’d recommend starting with the 25 RC and 50 CR (“logical reasoning”) questions available in sections 2-4 of the free, official test on the LSAT website. (I’d also recommend ignoring the LSAT’s ridiculous time limit of 35 minutes per section. If you can do each set of 25 questions in less than an hour, you’re doing great.)

If you want more, you can move on to any of the LSAT’s creatively-named books: 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests, or The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests, or any other similarly-named book – though none of them include answer explanations. Alternatively, you could pick up The Official LSAT SuperPrep I or The Official LSAT SuperPrep II, each of which includes three tests with detailed, official explanations.

If you have questions about LSAT materials – or if you want to share your experiences with them – we’d love to hear from you! And if you want to join a live discussion of the LSAT and anything else related to GMAT verbal, join us on Wednesday at 8:00 a.m. PST/8:30 p.m. IST for the GMAT Club verbal experts’ weekly chat.

Hi. Thank you for this detailed explanation. I just wanted to ask you should I go through the Powerscore LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible? I just gave my GMAT and I scored poorly in verbal. I have a hard time dissecting arguments and solving questions. I've already exhausted the OG and MGMAT guides but they've not been of much help. Do you think I should use the LSAT Bible to improve and to come up with a strategy?
Thank you! Your help is much appreciated!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
obviously, I guess strategy for LSAT questions are different from Gmat questions?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
chesstitans wrote:
obviously, I guess strategy for LSAT questions are different from Gmat questions?

I wouldn't really say that the strategy is all that different. Sure, there are some cosmetic differences between the LSAT and the GMAT (see Reason #3 in the original post), but the fundamental skills are the same. Both tests are basically testing you on the precision of your reading and reasoning.

So absolutely everything that's truly important for GMAT CR and RC is also important for the LSAT. And everything in these two articles will definitely apply to the LSAT: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41004.html & https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 43170.html

But again: the LSAT passages are generally harder, so be prepared for that if you're going to use them. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Thank you for the kind words, Heseraj! And awesome to hear that you're putting so much effort into RC and CR.

The tough thing about CR and RC in general is that you can hit a plateau really quickly if you're struggling to decipher the language. Tons of practice over time will help, but it can be a long, slow process to get fundamentally better at fighting your way through that nasty LSAT language. So keep at it, and the language part of it will get better!

And if you end up feeling like your progress is slowing down, you might want to check out carcass's post in this thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/i-am-in-the- ... l#p1148290. There's some good general advice in there. :)

I'll also post some more general advice about how to approach RC in a Topic of the Week later this month. We talked about general approaches to RC quite a bit in our Wednesday verbal chat, and I'll put some of those ideas into a new thread. You might be too advanced for my basic advice at this point, Heseraj, but keep an eye out anyway, just in case.

And for whatever it's worth: if you can get to about 80% accuracy on the LSAT materials, you'll have a good shot at something around a 40 on GMAT verbal. So you're not too far off!

Hello Ninja
Thank you for your contribution to this wonderful conversation !!
From this, i bought the official LSAT previous tests 1-80 and started practising! Would you be so kind answering one question for me since i ve put myself throught such costs ? On LSAT logical reasoning every LR part has 25 questions. My accuracy is 80-85 percent on that. Can you please tell me what the accuracy AND TIME should be in each LR part (25 questions) in order to qualify for around Verbal 43(in the critical reasoning section) on the GMAT ?
Thank you Ninja
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [2]

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
alexlovesgmat wrote:

Hello Ninja
From this, i bought the official LSAT previous tests 1-80 and started practising! Would you be so kind answering one question for me since i ve put myself throught such costs ? On LSAT logical reasoning every LR part has 25 questions. My accuracy is 80-85 percent on that. Can you please tell me what the accuracy AND TIME should be in each LR part (25 questions) in order to qualify for around Verbal 43(in the critical reasoning section) on the GMAT ?
Thank you Ninja

Thank you for the kind words, Alex! And holy crap -- you bought all 80 tests? That's a lot. :)

Somewhere around 80% accuracy on LSATs would correlate (very!) roughly to a 40V, so for a 43V, you'd need to miss no more than 1-3 questions on each 25-question LSAT section. As long as you're doing each set in under an hour, you're OK for the GMAT.

This part has nothing to do with the LSAT, but for anybody who's shooting for scores in the mid-40s on verbal: scores tend to be pretty unstable at that end of the scale, just because one or two questions can be the difference between a 43V and a 45V or 46V. So if you're consistently above a 42V on your practice tests, be prepared for a fair amount of variability from test to test, even if you're 100% consistent in your approach to things.

Have fun studying, and let me know how it goes!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
alexlovesgmat wrote:

Hello Ninja
Thank you Ninja

Thank you for the kind words, Alex! And holy crap -- you bought all 80 tests? That's a lot. :)

Somewhere around 80% accuracy on LSATs would correlate (very!) roughly to a 40V, so for a 43V, you'd need to miss no more than 1-3 questions on each 25-question LSAT section. As long as you're doing each set in under an hour, you're OK for the GMAT.

This part has nothing to do with the LSAT, but for anybody who's shooting for scores in the mid-40s on verbal: scores tend to be pretty unstable at that end of the scale, just because one or two questions can be the difference between a 43V and a 45V or 46V. So if you're consistently above a 42V on your practice tests, be prepared for a fair amount of variability from test to test, even if you're 100% consistent in your approach to things.

Have fun studying, and let me know how it goes!

Thank you for your help Ninja. This really helped me decompress. I do tend to miss approximately 4 questions in each 25-question LSAT set. They are usually principle, parallel reasoning and 2-speaker questions. I am not sure if they appear on the GMAT. Generally, do these obscure, ''more abstract'' questions appear on the GMAT when striving for V42 or more ?
Thank you Ninja
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hi Gmat Ninja expert,

I got the main idea question wrong. Could you please help me - how could we get to know that author was challenging a widely accepted explanation.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [2]

Send PM