Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.78
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [1]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Re: Failed again 4th time 540 (Q44, V21) [#permalink]
aim730 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have given Gmat 4 times now and the last score is the lowest that I got. I was scoring 650+ on GMAT prep. I gave Gmat prep 3 times straight before my exam on 13th January.
GmatPrep 1 650(Q 45, V 35) 4 days before exam. Complete exam with IR and essay
GmatPrep2 650(Q 49, V 31) 3 days before exam. Complete exam with IR and essay
GmatPrep2 660 (Q 49, V 32) 2 days before exam. few repeat question marked them as in my previous exam.
but on the D-Day I messed up big time and scored 540 (Q44, V21) and I canceled my exam.

I have given Gmat 4 times now
2009* - 550(Q47, V21) jamboree classes
Nov'11 - 560(Q45, V22) manhattan Review classes
Nov'15 - 630(Q46, V31) Self-study
Jan'17 - 540(Q44, V21) E-GMAT & self-study.

I have not lost hope. I will be giving my Gmat again in March for the final time.

I need your support and guidance.

Best wishes buddy ! Consider signing up with a private tutor if possible ....
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Sorry that you'd had such a rough go of this! (And this message is for both aim730 and our suffering friend muthappashivani, who sounds particularly unhappy.)

Aim730, the big issue here seems to be consistency, and it's difficult to tell what your "real" skills are on either section of the test. On quant, you had a couple of 49s on the GMATPrep (awesome!) -- but there might have been some inflation from repeat questions (GMATPrep Exams 1 & 2 actually share the same question bank, sadly), and then the rest of your tests have hovered in the mid-40s. But maybe your skills really are in the high 40s somewhere, and if that's true, my guess would be that you have a tendency to rush through some of the questions that you find easy -- which means that you miss them sometimes. And on an adaptive test, it doesn't take a whole lot of careless errors to drag that score down.

Job #1 for you on quant: make sure that whenever you do homework or a practice test, you don't miss anything you actually understand how to do. One or two careless errors on easy questions can absolutely ruin your day. Job #1A for you on quant: be careful not to spend too much time on the harder ones. Sometimes, when I see erratic quant scores, it's because the time management is shaky -- lots of stubborn behavior on hard questions, which makes it harder for you to execute carefully on the questions that are in your wheelhouse. Maybe time management isn't an issue for you, but it looks like a possible suspect.

On verbal -- well, consistency is an issue here, too, right? You're all over the place, and that's a sign that you're fundamentally changing your approach from test to test. Maybe that's because you're nervous or "amped up" on test day, and you start reading faster than you normally would. But there's a lot of fluctuation in all of your verbal scores, which makes me think that you've never practiced in way that really builds consistency. When, say, a CR question pops up on the screen, you should basically do the same thing every time: read with the same level of intensity, look for the same key connections or key words, take the same sorts of notes, use the same process of elimination. Every time.

Of course, different books/teachers/tutors will teach you to do these things in different ways, especially on verbal -- and that's a whole different conversation that won't fit into a forum post -- but the key is to figure out what works for you, and do the same thing every single time. My bet is that you're not doing that with 100% consistency right now, or else your scores would look very, very different.

Muthappashivani -- I think much of what I said to Aim730 will apply to you as well. The keys to success are consistency, great time management, and avoiding careless errors. The GMAT isn't really a knowledge test -- it's mostly about logic and reading and reasoning and consistency. Sure, you need to know a thing or two about math and grammar. But at the end of the day, it's about consistency and performance and execution.

And I think your parents were right, at least on some level. If you just memorized tons of stuff, your brain will probably logjam on test day. If you studied for nine hours a day, I'll bet anything you were making careless errors in hour #9 (and probably hours #5-8 as well) -- basically, you practiced making unforced errors, so of course you made some on your actual exam. And it doesn't take many of those to drag your score down. And perhaps most importantly, you were probably incredibly amped up or stressed out or nervous on test day after all of that studying.

Here, read this for inspiration: https://www.gmatninja.com/2013/02/18/tak ... -the-gmat/. Sure, the guy in the article probably took the relaxed approach TOO far, but you get the idea.

I hope this helps, and good luck to both of you!
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32938 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
muthappashivani wrote:
Hello GMAT warriors... this is my GMAT story which went horror even after a dedicated study and scarifies. I used to score 640 in my mock test and was pretty confident to score at least 600 in the main test but for my surprise i scored 440 and this left me shattered. I even quit my job for this. I used to study for 9 hours a day. I am still not able to recollect what wrong happened that i got such a low score .I really need all your help. I want to try for the last time. Please help me with a proper plan to study. Also let me if you all also feel that over studying was the only reason for the low score . Because my parents even to this day say that it is over studying that caused this disaster. kindly help @souvik101990@Bunuel baptista

wwhich materials you
hsve used each time? AND about how much time?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
Send PM