Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 23:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [5]
Given Kudos: 130
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31974 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16604 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 391
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GPA: 1.9
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: FGHJ is a rectangle, such that FJ = 40 and FJ > FG. Point M is the mi [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
FGHJ is a rectangle, such that FJ = 40 and FJ > FG. Point M is the midpoint of FJ, and a Circle C is constructed such that M is the center and FJ is the diameter. Circle C intersects the top side of the rectangle, GH, at two separate points. Point P is located on side GH. What is the area of triangle FJP?

Statement #1: One of the two intersections of Circle C with side GH is point P, one vertex of the triangle FJP.

Statement #2: One of the two intersections of Circle C with side GH is point R, such that RH = 7

Geometry is beautiful, and the GMAT loves it. This question is one of a set of 10 GMAT DS practice questions on geometry. For the other problems, as well as the OE for this question, see:
GMAT Data Sufficiency Geometry Practice Questions

Mike :-)

hi,

Important points, which will be clearer when you draw the figure..
1) FJ and GH are parallel, EQUAL and opposite sides.
2) so GH =20...
3) FJ becomes the DIA of the circle as the radius is half of FJ or 20...
4) from point 3 above angle FPJ becomes 90....
5) The intersection on GH will be at same distance from vertices G and H, that is P will be at same distance from G as R will be from H..

Let see the statements-

Statement #1: One of the two intersections of Circle C with side GH is point P, one vertex of the triangle FJP.
P could be anywhere depending on the other dimension FG of rectangle...
Insuff

Statement #2: One of the two intersections of Circle C with side GH is point R, such that RH = 7
Yes we can find the area of angle FRJ from this , BUT do we know where P lies?..
We may not know exact point P lies, but it lies ON the same line as R..
This means the height of FRJ and FPJ will be SAME and the BASE FJ is also same..
so area of FRJ and FPJ will be same
Suff

B

how can I find height of triangle FRJ? please clarify.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31974 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
FGHJ is a rectangle, such that FJ = 40 and FJ > FG. Point M is the mi [#permalink]
Expert Reply
robu wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
FGHJ is a rectangle, such that FJ = 40 and FJ > FG. Point M is the midpoint of FJ, and a Circle C is constructed such that M is the center and FJ is the diameter. Circle C intersects the top side of the rectangle, GH, at two separate points. Point P is located on side GH. What is the area of triangle FJP?

Geometry is beautiful, and the GMAT loves it. This question is one of a set of 10 GMAT DS practice questions on geometry. For the other problems, as well as the OE for this question, see:
GMAT Data Sufficiency Geometry Practice Questions

Mike :-)

hi,

Important points, which will be clearer when you draw the figure..
1) FJ and GH are parallel, EQUAL and opposite sides.
2) so GH =20...
3) FJ becomes the DIA of the circle as the radius is half of FJ or 20...
4) from point 3 above angle FPJ becomes 90....
5) The intersection on GH will be at same distance from vertices G and H, that is P will be at same distance from G as R will be from H..

Let see the statements-

P could be anywhere depending on the other dimension FG of rectangle...
Insuff

Yes we can find the area of angle FRJ from this , BUT do we know where P lies?..
We may not know exact point P lies, but it lies ON the same line as R..
This means the height of FRJ and FPJ will be SAME and the BASE FJ is also same..
so area of FRJ and FPJ will be same
Suff

B

how can I find height of triangle FRJ? please clarify.

Lets concentrate on FRJ, right angled at R and drop a Perpendicular from R on FJ at say T....
since R Is 7 m from G, T will be 7 m from F or J, say F..
so FT = 7 and TJ = 40-7 = 33...
All three triangles, Bigger FRJ and smaller FRT & FJT are similar and when you know two sides, you can find other sides..

Take FRT and FRJ....
\(\frac{FT}{RT} = \frac{RT}{TJ}......................FT*TJ = (RT)^2..............7*33 = (RT)^2.................RT = \sqrt{7*33}\)...
RT is nothing but the height
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: FGHJ is a rectangle, such that FJ = 40 and FJ > FG. Point M is the mi [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts