Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [17]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [3]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: For positive integer a, is the product (a)(a + 1)(a + 2) divisible by [#permalink]
Kudos
There was a typo error earlier. This one is corrected.

for (a)(a + 1)(a + 2) to be divisible by 48...it should also have the factors of 48 i.e. 2^3 & 3.

1) a is even...Insufficient
2) 4a is divisible by 32...that means 'a' is the multiple of 8, so considering 'a' as 8 or 16 or 32 or ..... , the expression (a)(a + 1)(a + 2) will have the required factors 2^3 & 3. Therefore (a)(a + 1)(a + 2) to be divisible by 48...Sufficient

Answer is 'B'.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: For positive integer a, is the product (a)(a + 1)(a + 2) divisible by [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
For positive integer a, is the product (a)(a + 1)(a + 2) divisible by 48?

(1) a is even.
(2) 4a is divisible by 32.

Kudos for a correct solution.

Question : is the product (a)(a + 1)(a + 2) divisible by 48?

Inference : (a)(a + 1)(a + 2) is a product of three consecutive Positive Integer
48 = 2*3*8
Product of 3 consecutive Integers always include a multiple of 3 so all we have to find is whether product of these three consecutive Integers is divisible by 16 or not

Question REPHRASED : is the product (a)(a + 1)(a + 2) divisible by 16?

Statement 1: a is even.
@a=2, (a)(a + 1)(a + 2) = 24 i.e. NOT divisible by 16 or 48
@a=6, (a)(a + 1)(a + 2) = 6*7*8 i.e. Divisible by 16 and 48
NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: 4a is divisible by 32.
i.e. a is divisible by 8
i.e. (a)(a + 1)(a + 2) will have two even integers a and (a+2) and one is multiple of 8 and other is definitely a multiple of 2
i.e. (a)(a + 1)(a + 2) will be divisible by 8*2*3=16 *3 = 48
SUFFICIENT

Answer: option B
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

(1) a is even.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Question type: Yes/No. The question asks: “Is the product (a) (a + 1) (a +2) divisible by 48?” You can think ahead of time that in order to be divisible by 48 this product must have the prime factors of 48: 2^4 • 3. So the question is really: Does this product contain at least four 2s and one 3?

Given information in the question stem or diagram: “a is a positive integer.” Since a is a positive integer the rule that “in any three consecutive integers one of those integers will be a multiple of 3” applies. That means that before you even go to the statements you know that the product (a) (a + 1) (a +2) will be a multiple of 3. The question then can be simplified even more from above because you know that the factor of 3 will be present. The simplified question is: Does this product have 2^4 as a factor? It is essential that you always leverage all given information in the question before moving to statements. Also note that this problem (as is true for most arithmetic problems) is best solved with your conceptual understanding of factors and divisibility. While you could prove sufficiency/insufficiency with number picking, it would be cumbersome and risky in this example.

Statement 1: a is even. If a is an even number, it means that a will contain at least one 2 as a factor. It also means that a + 2 will be even and that one of those two even numbers will be a multiple of 4. For example, if x = 2 then (x +2) = 4. This means that you have at least 2^3 as a factor. However, this statement is not sufficient as it only guarantees three 2s in the product and not the required four 2s. Eliminate choices A and D.

Statement 2: If 4a is divisible by 32 then “a” must be divisible by 8. If a contains three 2’s as factors then this information is sufficient as you know that (a + 2) will have to contain at least one 2 as well. This statement is sufficient to prove that the product will contain 2^4 • 3 and the correct answer is B.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

(1) a is even.

Hi Bunuel, did you forget me by the distribution of Kudos ))...
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
BrainLab wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) a is even.

Hi Bunuel, did you forget me by the distribution of Kudos ))...

Hi,

A user cannot give more than 5 kudos points to another in a day.

Best regards,
Bunuel.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1562 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
48= 2^4*3
Since a is a +ve integer and

a, a+1, a+2 are +ve successive integers eoe or oeo. And one of them is multiple of 3

From 1 a is even ... Multiple solutions ( 2*3*4 or 8*9*10)

From 2

A is divisible by 8

A = 8m , a+1 = 8m+1 , a+2= 8m+2

Multiplied together = 64m^2+8m* 8m+2 = 512m^3+ 192m^2+16m + 16m( 32m^2 + 12m+1) ... The expression between brackets whatever the values of m is is a multiple of 3 ... divisible by 48.... B

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 924
GPA: 4
Send PM
If we have three consecutive integers, they must be divisible by 3!=6, hence we only need to find out whether a(a+1)(a+2) is divisible by 2^3, not 2^4, right??
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts