Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: from 510 to 620 .....should i retake to cross 700 + ?? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
One thing is, you are not dumb because you have 500 or 600. Don't take this as a beating or some weakness.

You need to take a diagnostic test that can replicate your 600-experience. (no repeats - clean result)
If you take a diagnostic and you score 700+ without repeats, then I would go ahead and schedule your test ASAP.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
One thing is, you are not dumb because you have 500 or 600. Don't take this as a beating or some weakness.

You need to take a diagnostic test that can replicate your 600-experience. (no repeats - clean result)
If you take a diagnostic and you score 700+ without repeats, then I would go ahead and schedule your test ASAP.

BUT i have come across various blogs and information which state that the number of attempts you take gives a very wrong impression on your profile to college..

i am very worried....what will happen now ??

i have no mock papers left to give,i have given them all......all available on net ,cds,gmat prep,kaplan,knewton,manhattan,and various others..

if i give the papers again ,there could be chance that i do not score again...

and i really think my Verbal paper was going fine and good while i was giving the paper,but i do not understand whty this happened with me...

i think i was performing well in verbal,but the thing turned out to be just opposite..

what should i do??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Economics Prague
Send PM
700mirage wrote:
bb wrote:

BUT i have come across various blogs and information which state that the number of attempts you take gives a very wrong impression on your profile to college..

i have no mock papers left to give,i have given them all......all available on net ,cds,gmat prep,kaplan,knewton,manhattan,and various others..

and i really think my Verbal paper was going fine and good while i was giving the paper,but i do not understand whty this happened with me...

i think i was performing well in verbal,but the thing turned out to be just opposite..

what should i do??

Schools in general dont care how many times you take GMAT and they look at the highest score (It makes sense for them, since they want to show high average scores). I visited an NYU Stern presentation this week and the lady explicitly said "take the test as many times as you want, we only look at the highest score". If you think you can get higher a score, go for it. Try to read A LOT in English to boost your verbal score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 928 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
700mirage wrote:
hi all,

gave 2nd attempt on 18/oct/2012: 620( quant :49, verbal :25)

Myself from Merchant navy, indian ,age 25 work ex- 5 years.

i studied for just 7 days using just OG-12 and gave my 1st attempt in november 2011 and scored just 510.

shattered a lot...

went on sail..

came back on May 2012,joined a coaching studied hard for past 4 months,day and night....
improved much in quants.......
i really studied hard this time a lot

studied:
CR(lsat bible) + og-10/11/12
sc(manhattan/ron explanation) +og-10/11/12
rc(practised from lsat)+verbal edition-2 + og -10/11/12

mock scores:
Kaplan online :650
GMAT prep 1 :750 (many repeats)
Gmat prep 2 :750 (many repeats)

please suggest what should i do ? my target is 700,but i doubt whether i will be able to achieve it ever ... :(

thinking of ISB in india,what are my chances ?

It took me a couple of years on and off to reach 710 from 550.
during my final attempt , I stopped taking tests.....for 3 to 4 months I did not take a single test. solved only few questions.
I did subject oriented study , not exam oriented study.

Created strategy for each question type only after I mastered the theory portion for each section / subsection.

tips and tricks can give you 3-4 point rise , not more than that.
i think you need to go back to the lab....

It will take a long time. Be prepared. But crossing the 700 barrier is a big achievement.
Best of luck. Dont lose hope
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lahoosaher wrote:
700mirage wrote:
hi all,

gave 2nd attempt on 18/oct/2012: 620( quant :49, verbal :25)

Myself from Merchant navy, indian ,age 25 work ex- 5 years.

i studied for just 7 days using just OG-12 and gave my 1st attempt in november 2011 and scored just 510.

shattered a lot...

went on sail..

came back on May 2012,joined a coaching studied hard for past 4 months,day and night....
improved much in quants.......
i really studied hard this time a lot

studied:
CR(lsat bible) + og-10/11/12
sc(manhattan/ron explanation) +og-10/11/12
rc(practised from lsat)+verbal edition-2 + og -10/11/12

mock scores:
Kaplan online :650
GMAT prep 1 :750 (many repeats)
Gmat prep 2 :750 (many repeats)

please suggest what should i do ? my target is 700,but i doubt whether i will be able to achieve it ever ... :(

thinking of ISB in india,what are my chances ?

It took me a couple of years on and off to reach 710 from 550.
during my final attempt , I stopped taking tests.....for 3 to 4 months I did not take a single test. solved only few questions.
I did subject oriented study , not exam oriented study.

Created strategy for each question type only after I mastered the theory portion for each section / subsection.

tips and tricks can give you 3-4 point rise , not more than that.
i think you need to go back to the lab....

It will take a long time. Be prepared. But crossing the 700 barrier is a big achievement.
Best of luck. Dont lose hope

hi lahoosaher,

i know you are speaking the correct thing....
but its so discouraging...and i really do not understand what else should i read new or more.....
because i have read and completed most of the material and things available on net and cds....specially the GMAT specific standard material...

i am really worried how will i be able to cope up with gmat....i am thinking of applying to few colleges with this score....

what do you suggest ?
i am planning for HKUST,ISB ?

do u think will i be considered....?
i have 4 years work ex and CGPS 4.0/4.0

and served NGO for 2 years..

please suggest
Intern
Intern
Send PM
craky wrote:
700mirage wrote:
bb wrote:

what should i do??

Schools in general dont care how many times you take GMAT and they look at the highest score (It makes sense for them, since they want to show high average scores). I visited an NYU Stern presentation this week and the lady explicitly said "take the test as many times as you want, we only look at the highest score". If you think you can get higher a score, go for it. Try to read A LOT in English to boost your verbal score.

hi craky,

i appreciate your message.

But do you think i should apply with this score ? i have CGPA 4.0 and work ex- 4 years.

and i am thinking for applying to schools like HKUST , ISB with this score...

what do you suggest ?

when should i retake gmat and how should i improve my verbal score

thanks in advance
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts