Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [54]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [25]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Re: Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, are increas [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
vivektripathi wrote:
Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, are increasingly being
studied for their potential to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor
instability, and
significant contributors to global warming.
A. to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and
B. to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and even as
C. as huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and
D. as huge reservoirs of energy, and the possible cause of sea floor instability,
E. as huge reservoirs of energy, as possible causes of sea floor instability, and even
as

Potential to be ~ / as ~ both seem ok. // Structure.
E seems to be the best choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Re: Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, are increas [#permalink]
Tommy
Sorry I have to disagree. PROBLEM: You only use COMMA followed by "and" at the end of a list of more than three things, not just two. -----> D is wrong since the list has to be similar.
"huge reservoirs" is plural, so other items in the list have to be plural (technically)

D. as huge reservoirs of energy, and the possible cause of sea floor instability, ---> should be "causes" not "cause"

Pls correct me, if I'm wrong.

TommyWallach wrote:
D. as huge reservoirs of energy, and the possible cause of sea floor instability,
PROBLEM: You only use COMMA followed by "and" at the end of a list of more than three things, not just two. Also, now the final section has become an appositive modifier. This is because the list MUST have ended after the "and", so the comma must be setting off a modifier. Because it's just a noun at the end, it could only be a noun modifying a noun ("Thomas Jefferson, our nation's third president, was awesome."). Obviously, the "instability" is not a "significant contributor to global warming"
-t
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey Nusma,

We don't disagree. You just hit on ANOTHER reason why D is problematic. But my reasons are both legitimate, and in the end, more grammatically central than the parallelism issue, because we do sometimes parallel a singular and a plural: "I have three cookies and a glass of orange juice." OR "They are terrible musicians and a lousy comedy team."

Hope that makes sense!

-t
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Hi tommy
Ohh ! I didn't see the modifier issue. :-D. instability, significant contributors to global warming. Thanks for pointing that out.
But I have seen gmat keeps the "noun number" same when listing the items. And especially maintains "the" any of the item starts with the determiner "the". The following SC has the same issue - A is wrong.

Rockets, like the airplane and the jet, were
rapidly improved during World War II.
(A) Rockets, like the airplane and the jet,
were
(B) The rocket, like airplanes and jets, was
(C) Rockets, like airplanes and jets, was
(D) The rocket, like the airplane and the jet,
were
(E) The rocket, like the airplane and the jet,
was

OA is E. Source Kaplan.
OE : That is, we can't compare the plural
“rockets”with the singular the “airplane and the jet,”
in (A); nor can we compare the singular “the rocket”
with the plural “airplanes and jets,” in (B).

cheers
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Nusma,

Honestly, I'm not 100% on the rule of this. In your example, we're comparing things to the subject, which has a plural verb. In that case, we need to match plural, because the verb is, in some ways, applying to both the original subject and the comparison terms. In the example we've been discussing, the items in question are the objects of the sentence, so there's no verb confusion. Anyway, there are plenty of reasons to cross off D. Stupid D. : )

-tommy
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8533 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
nusmavrik wrote:
Hi tommy
Ohh ! I didn't see the modifier issue. :-D. instability, significant contributors to global warming. Thanks for pointing that out.
But I have seen gmat keeps the "noun number" same when listing the items. And especially maintains "the" any of the item starts with the determiner "the". The following SC has the same issue - A is wrong.

Rockets, like the airplane and the jet, were
rapidly improved during World War II.
(A) Rockets, like the airplane and the jet,
were
(B) The rocket, like airplanes and jets, was
(C) Rockets, like airplanes and jets, was
(D) The rocket, like the airplane and the jet,
were
(E) The rocket, like the airplane and the jet,
was

OA is E. Source Kaplan.
OE : That is, we can't compare the plural
“rockets”with the singular the “airplane and the jet,”
in (A); nor can we compare the singular “the rocket”
with the plural “airplanes and jets,” in (B).

cheers

And if it were:

Rockets, like airplanes and jets, were...

What would Kaplan say?

Originally posted by noboru on 30 Jul 2010, 04:54.
Last edited by noboru on 30 Jul 2010, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Noburu,

That would definitely be wrong; most things between commas are not considered part of the main sentence/subject (the exception being in a list of three things, where the middle item WOULD be part of the main subject, assuming the list was the subject of the sentence: "Bread, cheese, and water were hard to come by during the war."

-t
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 282
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
What is the OA. I am still confused between potential to be and potential as.

@daagh: Here I think potential to be is the right usage.
Ex- Sachin has the potential to be the captain
Sachin's potential as captain is questionable
So usage of example 1 is more suitable here.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The point is, if GHs are reservoirs of energy that cause sea floor instability,, then A is correct (the phrase starting with “ possibly causing” is taken as a modifier). On the contrary, if GHs cause seafloor instability as a separate factor, then E is ok on the count of //ism alone, notwithstanding the intrusion of ‘even’ in that choice.
Coming to the factor of ‘the potential to be and the potential as’, if both are interchangeable as you have researched out, then GMAT may as well avoid this question altogether, not wanting to get caught in the muddle.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [2]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Potential to [verb], potential as [noun]. Both are correct idioms, given the verb "be" with "potential to" or the noun clause "huge source of energy" with "potential as"
Everything boils down to parallelism; (E) is the only answer choice where all three elements of the list are parallel "As huge sources....as possible causes...as significant contributors"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
For those who are still unconvinced about A and E, i've thought critically about this.

The only way A is DEFINITELY wrong is an ambiguous modifier or worse, wrong modifier.

See below:

Gas hydrates are increasingly being studied for their potential to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and significant contributors to global warming.

What is possibly causing instability? Is it Gas hydrates? Is it Reservoirs or energy? We can't tell exactly WHAT is causing instability.

Hence go with E, which clearer that Gas Hydrates are being studied as 3 things.

tough one for sure. I got it wrong
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, are increasingly being studied for their potential to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and significant contributors to global warming.

A.to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and -list is not parallel
B.to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and even as -list is not parallel
C.as huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and -list is not parallel
D.as huge reservoirs of energy, and the possible cause of sea floor instability, -list is not parallel
E.as huge reservoirs of energy, as possible causes of sea floor instability, and even as -Correct
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [1]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, are increas [#permalink]
Kudos
jho1 wrote:
Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, are increasingly being studied for their potential to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and significant contributors to global warming.

B. to be huge reservoirs of energy, possibly causing sea floor instability, and even as

E. as huge reservoirs of energy, as possible causes of sea floor instability, and even as

AjiteshArun

Why A is wrong? How do we know what is the correct intended meaning?

Point 1. I mean why "possibly causing sea floor instability" can't be a modifier modifying "reservoirs of energy".

Point 2. How do we know that this is a list of three items and not of two as Daagh said?

Point 3. "to be huge reservoirs of energy" and "significant contributors to global warming." (Are these two items parallel?)

Point 4. Do we require to repeat "to be" with "significant contributors to global warming" to make it parallel?

Hope I made myself clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 211
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM
Gas hydrates, chemical compounds of water and natural gas, are increas [#permalink]
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I get asked by PM to take this one on, so here I am. How goes it?

This question is about parallelism versus modifiers. We don't really want any modifiers here, so we have to get rid of answer choices that try to spin it that way.

PROBLEM: Commas set off lists or modifiers. If it's a list, it's already unparallel (to be huge, causing, significant are not parallel). Modifier doesn't make sense either, however, as "causing" would be modifying the previous clauses. The fact that the hydrates may be reservoirs of energy is not causing sea floor instability, so that's out.

PROBLEM: Same as above on every level.

PROBLEM: Same as above.

PROBLEM: You only use COMMA followed by "and" at the end of a list of more than three things, not just two. Also, now the final section has become an appositive modifier. This is because the list MUST have ended after the "and", so the comma must be setting off a modifier. Because it's just a noun at the end, it could only be a noun modifying a noun ("Thomas Jefferson, our nation's third president, was awesome."). Obviously, the "instability" is not a "significant contributor to global warming"

E. as huge reservoirs of energy, as possible causes of sea floor instability, and even as
ANSWER: Look at the lovely parallelism "as, as, as", plus it finally makes sense!

Hope that helps!

-t

Hi TommyWallach daagh
Just one question
doesn't the word "even" break parallelism in E?
I maybe wrong but I am just curious to know if not why ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Nums99 wrote:
Hi TommyWallach daagh
Just one question
doesn't the word "even" break parallelism in E?
I maybe wrong but I am just curious to know if not why ?

I am also interested in the answer on this question
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM