Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31934 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: GMAT 480 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
marine123 wrote:
Hi Rich,

I am planning to apply for fall 2018, which is pretty close I know. I am not looking forward to apply on the top 20 business school, but I am just looking for average B schools (top 200 maybe). I am also not just looking for admission into B-school, but also looking for assistantship (which is the only reason I am expecting a higher score on GMAT). Well with the number of time I can spend on GMAT per day could be 4 hours during week days (Sun to Fri) and maybe 8 hours during weekend and holidays.

Looking forward for your help. Thanks in advance.

Hi,
The first thing to know is your weaknesses and clearly you ATLEAST know that you require to work on both Quant and Verbal.
As rich has said you will require some serious study to reach that target. To start with you are at right place that is GMAT club. Use this forum and try and learn. Take mocks once in 15 days initially to look at your improvements and weak areas, then work on those weak areas.
It is important to know your weak areas, it could be through classes, courses or online classes, if you are not able to home on yourself.

But frankly the target is achievable, just have faith in yourself and focus your energy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
marine123 wrote:
I took GMAT class around 8 months ago, but due to busy schedule at work, I wasn't able to give time for gmat. 2 months earlier, I finally thought of giving GMAT a shot. I practiced Jamboree Practice tests (around 1000 questions on verbal and around 500 questions on Quant). My Quant section was very weak (I was an average student of Maths at school, but I wasn't that bad). I gave all the 6 practice test made available by GMATPrep, where my average score was around 550 only. When I appeared for the actual GMAT, I just got a score of 480 (Q32, V22). I was devastated by the score on my screen because I had at least expected a score above 500.

Now that I have thought and realized, I hadn't set my aim for getting a target GMAT score. I will of course appear for GMAT again, but I am not sure where should I start from again. During the past 2 months, I did work very hard and prepare for it by all means I could. Also, I am not an Indian who would get Q50 on their first attempt (Most Indians say they don't find Quant a problem). But here, my problem is both Quant and Verbal. Most of the people suggested me to go through the basics of Quant, and believe me I have gone through and know all the basics through (Jamboree, OG, Kaplan and Economist GMAT). The basics are done with, but cannot do well with the advanced :-D.

Anyway, I am heading up for GMAT again and now my target score is 650 or more of course. Can anyone suggest me the materials I should follow or the area I should focus more or how do I do better on both the Quant and verbal sections? Help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

I am certainly not an expert and I am also preparing from 5-6 months. There are few points that I have realized and hope it helps you.

-- As you mentioned that you have already completed with basics of quant, you can practice more quant questions available on GMATClub or OG to enhance your skills.
-- For SC,CR I went trough e-gmat course. Its really helpful, but it only gives a headstart, there are many concepts that are not covered there.
-- In RC, I am also struggling badly :-D

-- From my preparation of 5-6 months and few Mocks that I have given, I have realized that, apart from your Quant or Verbal skils, GMAT actually tries to check your reasoning ability. Rightly mentioned by Chiranjiv Singh in one of his [url = dear-gmat-aspirant-you-need-not-swim-against-the-tide-223417.html#p1720343] post [/url]. I think its all about getting the right thought process in a quick time.
-- Each question you solve for quant or verbal, note the subtle traps or the way in which question tries to trick you. As you practice you can identify such traps more quickly.
-- Even from a question, that you solve correctly, observe the pattern of wrong answer choices. Most useful for CR. it helps to guess the answer when you are running out of time but need to make a smart guess.

PS. I already mentioned that I am no scholar. In fact, I never scored even 600 in any of my mocks yet. But yes, certainly a 700+ in making!!!! :-D

Hope this helps you. All the best!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Marine123,

However, I am not an expert, but since I have been through the same situation, I would like to share my experience. Probably, the things that worked out for me might actually help you too.
I did not give any real GMAT exam yet, but I have been giving the mock from last 5 months. I did not decide the date of the exam too. I planned that I will only decide the date when I will be near to my aimed score :) .

--Give mocks and then review(very important) them.

--I am an Indian, and when I gave my first mock, my quant score was 30 around. I kept working hard, but I did not see major improvement in math score until I joined GMATclub. Bunuel (Math expert of Gmatclub, if you have been on Gmatclub for a while, you must be knowing him) is amazing. Solve as many questions as you can and ask for the help(if you are not able to understand the problem even after looking into the existing posts) on gmatclub if required. If you think there is a gap in your understanding of concepts, it will be worth to read the below topics.

gmat-math-book-in-downloadable-pdf-format-130609.html

--Gmat club tests are extremely helpful in improving Math score.

I would not say anything about verbal because I am still struggling with verbal. I took egmat course. It was helpful in understanding the concepts(many things I did not know before as being non-native), but my score is still what it was.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi marine123,

Based on your timeline, you have plenty of time to continue studying for the GMAT before you apply to Business School - which is good. You will NOT need to study every day though (and you don't need to study 25-30 hours each week either). You also have some experience with the Exam already, so you can use that knowledge to your advantage. You seem to understand that your prior approach to this process did not lead to a good result, so you're going to have to make some significant changes to your study routine, as well as how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Given your score goal, you would likely benefit a great deal by investing in a more formal GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led) that will keep you focused on learning and practicing the proper Tactics.

Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 2.9
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
marine123 wrote:
I took GMAT class around 8 months ago, but due to busy schedule at work, I wasn't able to give time for gmat. 2 months earlier, I finally thought of giving GMAT a shot. I practiced Jamboree Practice tests (around 1000 questions on verbal and around 500 questions on Quant). My Quant section was very weak (I was an average student of Maths at school, but I wasn't that bad). I gave all the 6 practice test made available by GMATPrep, where my average score was around 550 only. When I appeared for the actual GMAT, I just got a score of 480 (Q32, V22). I was devastated by the score on my screen because I had at least expected a score above 500.

Now that I have thought and realized, I hadn't set my aim for getting a target GMAT score. I will of course appear for GMAT again, but I am not sure where should I start from again. During the past 2 months, I did work very hard and prepare for it by all means I could. Also, I am not an Indian who would get Q50 on their first attempt (Most Indians say they don't find Quant a problem). But here, my problem is both Quant and Verbal. Most of the people suggested me to go through the basics of Quant, and believe me I have gone through and know all the basics through (Jamboree, OG, Kaplan and Economist GMAT). The basics are done with, but cannot do well with the advanced :-D.

Anyway, I am heading up for GMAT again and now my target score is 650 or more of course. Can anyone suggest me the materials I should follow or the area I should focus more or how do I do better on both the Quant and verbal sections? Help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

For Quant I would suggest
go through Quant videos on dontmemorise.com It is lengt of 17 hours and after doing it again attempt Quant you will feel much better. Please write back if you need help
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts