Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:34 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [1]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT 660 (Q47, V34) Indian Female - Experience + should i retake ? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi nidhi0989,

With your background and current GMAT score, you would be a solid applicant at most (if not all) of the schools that you listed. Many Test Takers tend to get "hung up" on the idea of what their GMAT scores are supposed to be and they forget that the GMAT is just one piece of the application (and they don't realize that a 700+ score is NOT necessary to get accepted to a top school). With a 660/Q47, you're above the 80th percentile overall and you're in range to apply to any school that you want, so you should not hold back at all.

If you choose to retest, it should be because of a specific reason that is dependent on a specific situation - for example, you get wait-listed at your first choice school and an Admissions Representative tells you that it's specifically because of your GMAT score. If you're after a specific scholarship that has a GMAT score "requirement" that you have not satisfied, then that would also be an acceptable reason to retest. Otherwise, you likely don't need to retest.

As far as your other questions...
3) You should consider any Business School that matches your career goals.
4) In the latter application Rounds, there are fewer spots available, but Business Schools keep spots open because they know that some great applicants show up in the latter Rounds. If you're a strong applicant, then it really doesn't matter what Round you apply.
5) From a "numbers" standpoint, I would suspect that Indian women are an under-represented demographic at most Business Schools, so you will "stand out" during the application phase because there won't be that many applicants from your demographic. In the end though, you still have to be qualified - the basic details about your background make me think that you are likely qualified.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT 660 (Q47, V34) Indian Female - Experience + should i retake ? [#permalink]
@solitaryreaper- Thanks for your inputs. Yes, I am considering ESADE, SDA Bocconi, Manheim/ESMT too. Honestly, right now I am ready to get in any decent business school as my main gain from MBA is to be able to have a global network which will help me eventually start a business. Since everyone I speak with raises eyebrows on a 700+ I might apply to a couple of safe colleges with this score and probably reappear next month. No harm in that right ?
So when are u sitting for the exam? What colleges are you targeting?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bschool2k15 wrote:
Hey Guys,

So many questions !! Anyway, find my answers inline.

PRE GMAT-
I am an Indian Female, currently working with a US Fortune 500 Consulting/Services Firm in India as a Middleware Developer (approx 40 months WE). I started my prep a little late (personal issues :roll: and lack of conviction :?: ) - around mid October, considerHy ing I am aiming for Fall 2015 intake. I didn't have time to attend classroom courses as I had to balance home, work and studies, so I enrolled for an online course (Jamboree Online Prep - they are famous in India). I worked really hard and brushed my concepts for the initial 20 days or so and practiced a lot of varied questions. I maintained an Error Log for Quant + A concept/Rule book for Verbal. By the end of November, I was set for giving practice tests. Following are my mock CAT scores -

[B15]I am personally not fond of Jamboree - They do not have any quality control, have a very snobbish attitude towards the whole GMAT and their course is not adaptive. I would have asked you to buy Economist, but you would not have the time to complete the whole course.
You have a low score in Quant (as per Indian standards). I am sure if you learn more from the questions, you can increase it by a minimum of 2 points, which would easily translate into 20 points on the GMAT.

GMAT Prep 1 - 650 (Q48 V 33)
KAPLAN Free CAT - 680
Veritas Free CAT - 700 (Q48 V38)
Economist Free CAT - 640 (Q47 V32)
Princeton Free CAT - 690 (Q49 V36)
MGMAT 1 - 630(Q42 V34)
MGMAT2 - 670(Q45 V36)
MGMAT 3 - 640 (Q42 V35)
MGMAT 4 - 580(Q39 V31)
GMAT Prep 2 - 700(Q48 V38) - Three days before actual GMAT
GMAT Prep 3 - 710(Q48 V39) - Two days before actual GMAT
GMAT Prep 4 - 700(Q48 V38) - A day before actual GMAT

[B15] GMATPrep scores can be inflated. By the time you start practicing the tests, you would have either seen these questions on the blogs, 440 question bank or the previous OGs. Is this true for you too? If it is, I would say that your score falls into the median range of your previous performance and is perhaps acceptable.

If it is not, it gives you a good reason to rewrite the exam. Focus on Quant, practice time management skills in RC such as Initial Reading, Detailed answers, Inference and attempt a lot of SC questions (if it is a weak point). SC is the easiest to improve in Verbal.

GMAT D-Day (23rd Dec 2014)-
I forgot to mention earlier that my battle was not against tough questions, it was against time. I have always had time issues and all the scores that I listed above are scores in which I have given educated guesses for the last 7 questions or so. My target score was 680+ and I appeared for the test with no over-the-top strategy as my current situation was landing me in my target score range. I was content and came to the test center confident to achieve my target.
Although I did not freak out or get anxious, I got over engrossed over a few lengthy questions/4 para RCs in Quant/Verbal respectively and arrived at the following situation - 8 min vs 10 questions. To my utter misfortune, i got a lengthy RC as Q 36. I had 3 minutes on my clock by then and yes, although I was marking any damn option, I ended up missing out the last two questions. I believe I paid a penalty for that and my final score turned out to be 660(Q 47 V 34)! :| :|

[B15] Always remember, its your battle. Do not get stuck on a question. Every question has its own 2 minutes. It is always preferable to make 2 educated guess in 30 seconds time when you are in the 10-20 & 20-30 question range than being stuck with 10 questions in 8 minutes. (I have been there - that situation will almost never work out).

Post GMAT -
Now, I am stuck in a situation.
1. Is it worth reappearing ? I am just in time for R2 deadlines. On the other hand, I am confident i can reach a score of 710. But will it be worth it?

Any score above 700 is worth it - check out the class profiles of schools where you apply, your aim is to be around 20 points above the median score of school.

2. Irrespective of my score, I am looking for a Fall 2015 admit with some scholarship/waiver. I spoke to a few people and am considering the following colleges with the current score -
a) University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
b) Indiana Univ - Kelley school of Business
c) Melbourne Business School
d) ESADE Business School
e) SDA Bocconi
f) William and Mary School of Business
g) Pittzburgh (Katz)
h) George Washington University
i ) NUS
j) Arizona (Carey)
k) Univ of Cincinnati
Are these feasible ?

Good choices - R3 might be a bit late for US schools, but you should always try! And remember, the higher your GMAT is, the more chances you have of getting a scholarship.

3. Are there any other schools within my reach?

4. Is it true that R3 decreases ones chances of getting an admit ?
Yes, depending on the school and the cycle. BUT - If you believe you can bring a different perspective to the class, then no - schools would consider that value add. So you need more color in your essays

5. Is it true that Indian women are underrepresented and I might have an edge here ? (Yeah I feel sick asking this. Desperate times :oops: )
Well women in general are underrepresented.

Merry Christmas once again!

Merry Christmas to you too.

Thanks for your valuable inputs bschool2k15. I am considering retaking the exam next month.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
nidhi0989 wrote:
@solitaryreaper- Thanks for your inputs. Yes, I am considering ESADE, SDA Bocconi, Manheim/ESMT too. Honestly, right now I am ready to get in any decent business school as my main gain from MBA is to be able to have a global network which will help me eventually start a business. Since everyone I speak with raises eyebrows on a 700+ I might apply to a couple of safe colleges with this score and probably reappear next month. No harm in that right ?
So when are u sitting for the exam? What colleges are you targeting?

There's no harm if you apply in R2. It makes complete sense. It certainly helps if one gets a 700+ score , but then it's only one piece of puzzle. There are also other factors responsible for a successful admit.
I'll probably take GMAT in a month's time. Well if I get a decent score I'll apply to a number of colleges(top 50-70) in the US(for R3) and Europe.
I can't be very selective at that time(as it would highly depend on a University's decision to actually consider my application). :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM