Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 16:12 It is currently 15 May 2024, 16:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tutor
Affiliations: GMAT Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [4]
Given Kudos: 202
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
GMAT 5: 780 Q51 V48
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [2]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Focus 1:
585 Q81 V80 DI76
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4671 [2]
Given Kudos: 636
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
EducationAisle wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun, your video was very informative (as always).

There is a portion in the video, wherein you discuss that in the Focus edition, a candidate's performance in one section has a bearing on the difficultly level of the first question in the next section that the candidate attempts.

Can you point me to the source of this information, so I can read it up further.

Hi Ashish,

Thank you for the kind words. I enjoy reading your replies on the forum as well.

As far as I know, GMAC hasn't made any public statements regarding that change yet. There is, however, this post by ExpertsGlobal5:
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
The difficulty level of the first few questions of one section would depend on one's performance on the previous section(s).

I've verified this independently with GMAC, though in those discussions they referred to the first question (live, not experimental), not the first few questions.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73215 [2]
Given Kudos: 18964
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Looks like it. It's been 6 days and it has not really budged...

P.S. I see march 31 as the last day for the in-person GMAT Classic... that may be just the schedule and hours for my local test center that's open on a Sunday. Yours must be closed.

mcelroytutoring wrote:
UPDATE: I have possibly discovered the final date for the classic GMAT: March 30, 2024.

Even though today is Monday, October 2nd—and GMAC’s automated system would normally allow me to register for GMAT test dates as far ahead as April 2nd, 2024 (6 months from the date of registration, to be exact)—I cannot register for a test date past 3/30.

Hence, that date appears to be the very last chance to take the current version of the exam.

UPDATE #2: As of today—Tuesday, October 3—I still cannot register for any classic GMATs past March 30th.

UPDATE #3: It's three days later—Thursday, October 5th—and I still can't sign up for any GMAT classic exams past 3/30.

I think it's a pretty firm conclusion at this point!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73215 [2]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ReasonGMAT wrote:
Thanks mcelroytutoring and bb. This is super helpful info. It's pretty hard to guide people when you don't know when the current GMAT is going to sunset!

It's pretty silly that GMAC keeps people in the dark and doesn't make this more transparent.

We did our best :lol: but it was still not enough.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2425 [2]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yup, we were fooled! In retrospect, Wharton had it right all along.

I also just received the email from GMAC. Title: "The updated GMAT Focus Edition is replacing the previous GMAT Exam on January 31, 2024."

On another note...

Hi ExpertsGlobal5,

You had indicated in a previous post that the Data Insights section is adaptive:

ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
DI section is also adaptive (at item level).

Below is an image from page 215 of the O.G. 2023-2024: "Unlike the GMAT exam's Quantitative Reasoning and Verbal Reasoning sections, the Data Insights section is not computer adaptive. This means that answering questions correctly or incorrectly doesn't affect which questions appear next."

Do you have any new information to share on this issue? Thanks!

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 10 Oct 2023, 12:01.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 10 Oct 2023, 12:56, edited 13 times in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73215 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
WooHoo! 🎉 Got some answers - thank you GMAC. Posting them here just as they are
Some interesting changes to multiple test attempts!

1. Are applicants allowed to book multiple appointments for the GMAT Classic Exam from now until Jan 31, 2024? Or in general this policy has been changed?

To clarify candidates can have multiple future appointments scheduled, e.g.:
    Candidates can have multiple future appointments scheduled across exam versions and channels. However, only one appointment can be booked at a time, and appointments must be scheduled at least 16-days apart. Our 12-month and lifetime limits also apply across exam versions and channels - only 5 attempts are permitted in a rolling 12-month period and 8 attempts in a lifetime.

2. Can a person book an online test and an in person test that are fewer than 16 days apart? Does the 16 day rule apply in any case or does it only apply in case the same test format is taken again? (repeat version of the question just in case)

The 16-day rule applies regardless of the delivery method a candidates choose.

3. "Updated score reports will also include more detailed insights on your performance, and only one exam score—the current exam breaks down your score by section. Registrants will be able to send scores to five schools for free."
What does "only one exam score" mean? Is it a "total exam score" rather than section scores or does it refer to one exam versus multiple exam scores (like if you previously took the exam)? Also, does this have anything to do with what is reported to the schools--do they get just one exam score?

This will answer your question since there are some parts I believe are mixed in the question that need to be addressed in separate bullets.

• Once candidates start taking the GMAT™ Focus Edition, they will receive their Total Score, Sub-Section scores, and percentiles for each. The Official Score Report will also include detailed performance insights for overall performance and sub-section performance. Candidates will be able to access GMAT Focus Edition scores and any valid scores from previous exams via their mba.com Account.

• The "only one exam score" refers to what is reported to schools - with the GMAT Focus Edition - similar to the GMAT exam delivered online - candidates have the flexibility to select which score to send to which programs. Only the score selected will be sent to the program(s) selected (no other scores will be sent along with it).

• Note that the Official Score Report that schools receive has been updated to account for both versions of the GMAT™ exam, and they are fully aware of the score scale changes and score concordance tables, so if candidates are asking about that, rest assured that schools do know what to expect.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4671 [2]
Given Kudos: 636
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sim_SG3 wrote:
This might be a weird question with questionable logic at best. Possibly one that has no place on this sub-forum, but...

If I'm not wrong, a small score increase in Verbal really boosts your score in the Classic GMAT when compared to a similar score jump in Quant. Basically, a +1 in Verbal contributes more to an increase in overall score than a +1 in Quant. I always assumed this was due to fewer people scoring high in Verbal and the sectional percentiles contributing to the overall score.
Pre-Emptive Question: Am I wrong here?

Actual Question: Do you think this would apply to the Focus Edition as well?

I feel like the idea is kind of supplemented by the score-to-percentile mapping predictions folks have been releasing lately, but I could be totally wrong. To top it off, we have a whole new variable with the introduction of Data Insights and we are yet to understand how these three sections work together to make up the overall score.

But this is a question that keeps me up at night and there's no better forum to ask on than here.

Hi Sim_SG3,

1. I'm not too sure about this, but you could try analysing some of the scoring grid data out there. Just keep in mind that (a) the data you see may not be 100% accurate and (b) quant and verbal are weighted equally (this is definitely true).

2. GMAC has already stated that all three sections (DI, quant, verbal) are weighted equally.
Quote:
Your GMAT™ Exam - Focus Edition Total Score is based on your performance on all 3 sections of the exam, with each section weighted equally.

Beyond that, it's hard to say just how the scores combine.

3. I think timing in verbal could be a problem for some test takers. The small increase in average time isn't enough to offset the impact of removing SC. We'll see how this plays out, but I'm letting my students know that they should work extra hard on time management.

Again, it's hard to say how this will affect test takers, but I don't think GMAC should have cut the number of breaks.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2425 [3]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM