Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GRE 1: Q800 V600
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GRE 1: Q800 V600
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
Thanks a lot bb for your inputs and the link which you shared... I would like to know what are the points considered while providing a scholarship and to the extent they are provided... I am not from IT but still I understand the crowd in the field I am coming from..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT Date: 12-30-2014
GPA: 3.52
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Hey BB,

I would love your guidance on where to start.

I have the following materials already :

1. Veritas Study material- Full Prep books that are serial numbers.
2. One of my co-workers took Manhattan Gmat course and gave me the 10 Book series
3. Planning to buy OG 2015, Quant and Verbal review.

Situation :

I work full time 50-55 hrs/week as Senior manager so might be able to squeeze out 15-18 hrs max per week. Not a native speaker so might need more time to be acquainted with Verbal.

Questions :

1. What is the study schedule I should follow
2. Do I have the right study materials.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep
Date: 09 Oct 2014, 02:07 pm
To: dshah9380

bb wrote:
You have twice as much as you need, so pick one book set. Do get the OG 14/15.
As to the time/schedule, just start with book one and keep going until you finish. My suggestion would be to use your best and most productive time (before work vs. after work).
Also, don't skip sections or move on hoping you will get it later. Stay on topic until you have mastered it and eradicated of most errors (90% accuracy). If you cannot get to that accuracy, so will your score not get to 90th percentile.

Good Luck! It is pretty simple about the next steps.
Best Regards,
BB

dshah9380 wrote:
Hey BB,

I would love your guidance on where to start.

I have the following materials already :

1. Veritas Study material- Full Prep books that are serial numbers.
2. One of my co-workers took Manhattan Gmat course and gave me the 10 Book series
3. Planning to buy OG 2015, Quant and Verbal review.

Situation :

I work full time 50-55 hrs/week as Senior manager so might be able to squeeze out 15-18 hrs max per week. Not a native speaker so might need more time to be acquainted with Verbal.

Questions :

1. What is the study schedule I should follow
2. Do I have the right study materials.

There is really no reason to post this and to PM about this. Please don't waste people's time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GPA: 2.71
Send PM
Hi,
So I've been casually studying for the GMAT for a while now from Kaplan but I couldnt manage it because of work. Last week, I finally took 2 months off from and have bought the MGMAT strategy guides.

I just wanted to ask should I also invest in the OG as well? is it a good idea to do the strategy guides and the OG if I have 2 months to do this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi guys,

So I'm about to start my GMAT prep.. I have 2 guides:
1) Princeton
2) Manhattan GMAT

Which guide do you guys think I should start with?

I was thinking Princeton but it seems like Manhattan is a bit more thorough, so Im not entirely sure which one to begin with..

Let me know what you guys think

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Hi guys,

Just to give some more detail with regards to my previous post

I'm preparing for my GMAT and I have the Princeton Cracking the Case 2015 edition and the soft copies of the MGMAT strategies/chapters given to me by my bf...

I was wondering if there was any point using the Princeton (seen some poor reviews) at all or just focusing on the MGMAT.. Also is it worth going through the MGMAT chapter by chapter or should I mix it up.. i.e. do some verbal today and math tomorrow etc...

I don't have a MGMAT study guide like I do on the Princeton which spells out what to study on each day so i just want to make sure I'm approaching this the right way if I do decide to use the MGMAT instead...

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I purchased both the MGMAT bundle and the OG bundle. Do I work through the OG math section (and additional math book) before moving on to MGMAT's math books? I'm unsure how to use these together.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
scasey wrote:
I purchased both the MGMAT bundle and the OG bundle. Do I work through the OG math section (and additional math book) before moving on to MGMAT's math books? I'm unsure how to use these together.

Hi and welcome to GMAT Club. You would use them together. However, you probably want to read the theory and tips before you do the questions (that's how most people do it)
Open MGMAT book 1 and proceed. End when you are finished with book 8. Everything will be clear once you finish the first chapter.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi all,

i'm in a different position than most of you. For the university i'm applying for, I need to get a minimum score of 550.

I want to do the GMAT at the 30st of December. In the next 4 weeks I can spend two days for studying, and I can follow four lectures in these 4 weeks. After the 4 weeks I have 7 days left to prepare the GMAT.

Because it's hard for me to find people with experience on this matter, I would like your advice.
So do you think that 72 hours in the next 4 weeks + 50 hours in 1 week is enough to score 550 on the GMAT?

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Know that preparation for the GMAT won’t be done through the waiving of any magic wand! Not with standing however smart you’re thinking that you’re with a selected subject; don’t dream of the very best grade doltishly of operating exhausting on the preparation. GMAT is hard, period! I’m not speech this to urge you agitated or to scare you away however as a result of you ought to drop any cock sureness that you just would possibly assume you have got. GMAT preparation would force you to check with plenty of industriousness. The first you begin- the higher and lesser the pressure to perform at the last moment
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
RN091991 wrote:
Hi all,

i'm in a different position than most of you. For the university i'm applying for, I need to get a minimum score of 550.

I want to do the GMAT at the 30st of December. In the next 4 weeks I can spend two days for studying, and I can follow four lectures in these 4 weeks. After the 4 weeks I have 7 days left to prepare the GMAT.

Because it's hard for me to find people with experience on this matter, I would like your advice.
So do you think that 72 hours in the next 4 weeks + 50 hours in 1 week is enough to score 550 on the GMAT?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

With only a month to go, forget about watching any lectures. Just grab all the mock tests available in the market and start attempting them one by one. However, please note that more than giving the mock test, what is important is how much time you spend in analyzing your performance in the same. Typically if you spend 2 hours on a mock test, spend atleast 4-5 hours in analyzing your performance in the same. Go through each and every question, spend as much time as you want on each one of them. Try to figure out a better, smarter and a faster way to do the same question. Take a note of all the points and make sure you try them all in your next mock test. Keep doing this consistently and you will see your score going up.

A score of 550+ in GMAT is not difficult provided you are well versed with your basics, have identified your strong and weak areas and can adopt the above strategy as a part of your preparation. With 72 hours in 4 weeks, it gives you 18 hours in 1 week and assuming you will study for all 7 days, it leaves you 2.5 hours per day. Assuming your basics are in place, this is good enough time to prepare well considering your target score of 550. Hoping that you can spend more time during weekends, it gives you enough time. Just believe in yourself and go for the kill.

Wish you all the best. If you have any other queries regarding gmat, please do let us know and we would be happy to guide.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V38
Send PM
hi bb,

I have written the GMAT once in September. Scored a 710. Planning to improve it by writing it up again in November.
The problem is that I have exhausted almost every good content in the market - OGs, Powerscore CR, MGMAT Guides, 1000 SC.

I plan to write 10 tests in this period - 6 Sim tests by Economist, 1 GMAT prep, 2 MGMAT and 1 Veritas Prep. I have a OG 12 and that I would finish. I need three books (one each for SC, CR & RC) or one big verbal resource (practice books, no concepts) - which I can use in sync with my economist course & test! Can you suggest something?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I have a strange issue. When I work normally on weekdays and weekends I get most of the questions right.
But when I give the exams I make silly mistakes.Though I don't repeat the same mistakes I had done earlier but I do new set of mistakes.

Is giving more tests going to help me.

bb wrote:
thescrappyone wrote:
BB,

Just wondering, why do you recommend tackling SC first? I'm actually debating right now whether to go through the Powersore CR or the Manhattan SC book first, since both will cover the last half of my prep. I was planning on tackling SC last so that the rules will be fresher in my memory. Thanks!

Good question - it does not matter which section per se you start with.
What matters is that You tackle the EASIEST section first and then dedicate the remaining time to the one you have the most issues with.

SC was the easiest for me, then CR, and RC was the hardest, so my "recommendation" follows that path.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am starting off with my GMAT journey from today. For the past 5.5yrs I have been focused on my work and have been completely out of touch from academics. I took a raw diagnostic test without any prep with GMATPrep free software and scored a 540 (Q39; V25). I want to improve my score and time is not a constraint, I can attempt the test anytime in 2015. What should be the ideal approach for me and target test date? Many of you have suggested spreading the study schedule too much is not recommended, so I want to prepare a study plan accordingly.

Will 700+ from here be a realistic target?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi friends,

Hope you all are doing well. I am just starting out with my GMAT preparations and have some doubts on how to start the prep.

Let me know if this thread is not the right place to put my questions, and i would delete/move it to some other thread.

I have 'The Official Guide to GMAT Review 2015', 'Veritas Prep GMAT Lesson Books' and 'Manhattan GMAT set of 8 Strategies' ( I have the 2014 version of these books as I got them from a friend).

1. Are the above books sufficient for the preparation? If not, please suggest which material should I buy to complete the study materials package.
2. How should I start from the above set. As far as I could make out, the Official Guide doesnt have the theory for maths and english. It just has introductions and then directly questions.
3. I think i would need more attention to English/Verbal section. Which one out of Veritas or Manhattan is better for Verbal? Is there any other book which is specifically good for Verbal section which I should refer?

Finally, I work in financial advisory area and have to spend around 12-14 hours a day at office. Any tips on how can i plan my study schedule with my office commitments?

Thanks a lot for helping!!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Diagnostic Test Result
PS,DS, CR: Excellent
RC: Above Average
SC: Average
I am having trouble with SC as i am not a native English speaker,

I need someone to review the GMAT study plan I have decide for myself.

Month 1:
I plan on studying verbal ability for 15 days from MGMAT, then the next 15 days studying Quant(& IR) from MGMAT while practicing verbal from Gmatclub/e-gmat.

Month 2:
During Month 2, the first fortnight I will solve all 3 OGs and then after that I will start giving 2 tests every week and practice from possible online sources.

Month 3:
I am keeping the last month for doing the OGs once again, reviewing error log and continue giving 2 tests a week till the last week when I will giving GMAT.

Should I also consider writing 3-4 every week for AWA?

I am not working (graduate student) so I have ample time every day so I should be able to study 25-30 hours a week. Is the plan stated above feasible?

Please advice what should I do.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi Priyanshu

I read your post in connection with your prep of GMAT.

May i know which colleges you are aiming?

Your preparation schedule seems fine but i would suggest you to give one month per subject like one month for verbal and one month for quant instead of giving 15 days each to both the subjects.

priyanshu2808 wrote:
Diagnostic Test Result
PS,DS, CR: Excellent
RC: Above Average
SC: Average
I am having trouble with SC as i am not a native English speaker,

I need someone to review the GMAT study plan I have decide for myself.

Month 1:
I plan on studying verbal ability for 15 days from MGMAT, then the next 15 days studying Quant(& IR) from MGMAT while practicing verbal from Gmatclub/e-gmat.

Month 2:
During Month 2, the first fortnight I will solve all 3 OGs and then after that I will start giving 2 tests every week and practice from possible online sources.

Month 3:
I am keeping the last month for doing the OGs once again, reviewing error log and continue giving 2 tests a week till the last week when I will giving GMAT.

Should I also consider writing 3-4 every week for AWA?

I am not working (graduate student) so I have ample time every day so I should be able to study 25-30 hours a week. Is the plan stated above feasible?

Please advice what should I do.

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38  ...  42