Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 05:04 It is currently 07 May 2024, 05:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32967 [225]
Given Kudos: 4469
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1587 [1]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32967 [2]
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1242 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: The GMATClub Definitive Guide to the AWA [#permalink]
Hi Carcass,
Excellent dissection of the analysis.
I have a fundamental query though. Do we always need to work on weakening the argument using
assumptions? If I read correctly, we can either support / refute the argument. Let me know gaps in my
understanding.
WR,
Arpit

Originally posted by adkikani on 20 Mar 2017, 16:31.
Last edited by carcass on 21 Mar 2017, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
Edited by Carcass
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32967 [0]
Send PM
Top Contributor
Hi,

Technically you can either support or weaken the argument. However, the argument has always some sort of flaw. Indeed, the best way is always to undermine it.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Interesting Read, I honestly never had trouble with the AWA, receiving either 5s or 6s. My most recent test, I got a 620 44Q and 32V however a 6 on the writing.

My strategy has always been to be as critical as possible. These were my steps if anyone who reads this can relate.

1- State argument is flawed and introduce three reasons why.

2- Introduce each reason in a paragraph

3- Explain how argument could be strengthened with reasoning

4- Conclude

...Simply try to not leave any loose ends where someone could disprove me ...ironic :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
carcass U mentioned 2 templates at last. But before that there is another RICH template we can see in this post. So following any template can bring good score on AWA?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32967 [0]
Send PM
Top Contributor
Generally yes.

But stick a rigid template in mind take out at the same time flexibility. There are pro and cons.

As a general rule: yes they are useful
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [3]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Kudos
carcass,

Amazing post! Wish I had found it a month ago while I was stressing on AWA prep in the last 48 hours before my test!

Would definitely leverage the info here on my retake...

Regards,
Gladi
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Quote:
"GMATAwa.com This is an amazing online tool. The grading happens instantaneously, and as soon as you submit your essay, you will receive a composite AWA score, along with various metrics on which your essay has been graded."

This link is not working. Is there any free site for checking AWA
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32967 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
To me work.......

Grading, professionally, for the GMAT purpose or else an essay has its costs.

Regards
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [2]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41 (Online)
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
carcass, just tried https://gmatawa.com/. It is just misleading!

Look at my text that got this Score: 5.71/6:

The argument claims that. Stated this way the argument fails to mention several key factors on the basis of which it could be evaluated and reveals examples of leap of faith and poor reasoning. The conclusion of the argument relies on assumptions for which there is no clear evidence. Hence is unconvincing and has several flaws.

First, the argument really assumes that. This statement is a stretch and not substantiated in any way. For example, . The argument could be much clearer if it explicitly stated that

Second, the argument claims that.This is again a very weak and unsupported claim as the argument does not demonstrate any correlation between and. To illustrate. While. If the argument had provided evidence that then the argument would have been a lot more convincing.

. Without convincing answers to these questions, one is left with the impression that the claim is more to a wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence.

In conclusion, the argument is flawed for the above-mentioned reasons and is therefore unconvincing. It could be considerably strengthened if the author clearly mentioned all the relevant facts. In order to access the merits of a certain situation, it is essential to have full knowledge of all contributing factors.

----------

There is no content and there are erros! Let's remove it from the guide?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73076 [0]
Given Kudos: 18915
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think it is imperfect but it is free and the only reliable option we have for Essay Grading....
I tried running a few essays through the GMATAWA such as this one: https://gmatclub.com/forum/example-of-a ... 37566.html and got 4.5 which is 1.5 points too low and also this one: https://gmatclub.com/forum/free-awa-eva ... 53075.html and I got 5.6 which is pretty close.

So far I don't think it is as bad as it may seem but it needs more evaluation...

plaverbach wrote:
carcass, just tried https://gmatawa.com/. It is just misleading!

Look at my text that got this Score: 5.71/6:

The argument claims that. Stated this way the argument fails to mention several key factors on the basis of which it could be evaluated and reveals examples of leap of faith and poor reasoning. The conclusion of the argument relies on assumptions for which there is no clear evidence. Hence is unconvincing and has several flaws.

First, the argument really assumes that. This statement is a stretch and not substantiated in any way. For example, . The argument could be much clearer if it explicitly stated that

Second, the argument claims that.This is again a very weak and unsupported claim as the argument does not demonstrate any correlation between and. To illustrate. While. If the argument had provided evidence that then the argument would have been a lot more convincing.

. Without convincing answers to these questions, one is left with the impression that the claim is more to a wishful thinking rather than substantive evidence.

In conclusion, the argument is flawed for the above-mentioned reasons and is therefore unconvincing. It could be considerably strengthened if the author clearly mentioned all the relevant facts. In order to access the merits of a certain situation, it is essential to have full knowledge of all contributing factors.

----------

There is no content and there are erros! Let's remove it from the guide?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM