Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [0]
Given Kudos: 482
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [5]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1120
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Fuqua '24 (A)
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Many people believe that because wages are lower in developing countri [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:

Question 2

tyildirim92 wrote:
GMATNinja

Quote:
2. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) identify the origin of a common misconception
(B) discuss the implications of a generally accepted principle
(C) present information relevant in evaluating a commonly held belief
(D) defend a controversial assertion against a variety of counterarguments
(E) explain under what circumstances a well-known phenomenon occurs

To me, major portion of the passage literally discusses circumstances in which an increase in wages in developing countries expected. Have a look at the bolded circumstances in the below excerpt.

Quote:
Many people believe that because wages are lower in developing countries than in developed countries, competition from developing countries in goods traded internationally will soon eliminate large numbers of jobs in developed countries. Currently, developed countries' advanced technology results in higher productivity, which accounts for their higher wages. Advanced technology is being transferred ever more speedily across borders, but even with the latest technology, productivity and wages in developing countries will remain lower than in developed countries for many years because developed countries have better infrastructure and better-educated workers. When productivity in a developing country does catch up, experience suggests that wages there will rise. Some individual firms in developing countries have raised their productivity but kept their wages (which are influenced by average productivity in the country's economy) low. However, in a developing country's economy as a whole, productivity improvements in goods traded internationally are likely to cause an increase in wages. Furthermore, if wages are not allowed to rise, the value of the country's currency will appreciate, which (from the developed countries' point of view) is the equivalent of increased wages in the developing country. And although in the past a few countries have deliberately kept their currencies undervalued, that is now much harder to do in a world where capital moves more freely.

To understand why C is correct, could you please emphasize the evaluation of a commonly held belief in the passage?

When picking out the primary purpose of a passage, it is more important to understand why the author includes certain information, not just what they discuss in a "major portion" of the passage.

Here's a breakdown of the passage:

1) First, the author introduces a commonly held belief (lower wages in developing countries will lead to the loss jobs in developed countries)
    2) Then, the author examines why wages are currently higher in developed countries, and says that they will remain so "for many years"
    3) Finally, the author argues that wages will eventually rise in developing countries as well

So, why did the author write this passage? He/she introduced a commonly held belief and then weighed in on some factors underpinning that belief. Namely, the author thinks that developing countries will not maintain low wages in the long run. Because this wage disparity is a key component of the belief, the author implies that the belief may not come to pass, or at least will not have a permanent effect.

(C) captures this purpose well:
Quote:

Take another look at (E):
Quote:

There are a couple of issues with this answer choice. First, the passage doesn't deal with a "well-known phenomenon" -- that would imply that this loss of jobs definitely DOES happen. A "belief" is just something that people THINK happens.

In addition, the author doesn't say that the scenario that many people believe in actually occurs, as stated in (E). If anything, the author implies that the belief is not entirely well-founded, because wages will eventually rise in developing countries.

(E) is out, and (C) is the correct answer to question #2.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja Why B is wrong? tks! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Many people believe that because wages are lower in developing countri [#permalink]
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32932 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Harsh2111s wrote:

Merged the topics.

Thank you!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Question 2

Quote:
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:
2. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) identify the origin of a common misconception
(D) defend a controversial assertion against a variety of counterarguments

To me, major portion of the passage literally discusses circumstances in which an increase in wages in developing countries expected. Have a look at the bolded circumstances in the below excerpt.

Quote:
Many people believe that because wages are lower in developing countries than in developed countries, competition from developing countries in goods traded internationally will soon eliminate large numbers of jobs in developed countries. Currently, developed countries' advanced technology results in higher productivity, which accounts for their higher wages. Advanced technology is being transferred ever more speedily across borders, but even with the latest technology, productivity and wages in developing countries will remain lower than in developed countries for many years because developed countries have better infrastructure and better-educated workers. When productivity in a developing country does catch up, experience suggests that wages there will rise. Some individual firms in developing countries have raised their productivity but kept their wages (which are influenced by average productivity in the country's economy) low. However, in a developing country's economy as a whole, productivity improvements in goods traded internationally are likely to cause an increase in wages. Furthermore, if wages are not allowed to rise, the value of the country's currency will appreciate, which (from the developed countries' point of view) is the equivalent of increased wages in the developing country. And although in the past a few countries have deliberately kept their currencies undervalued, that is now much harder to do in a world where capital moves more freely.

To understand why C is correct, could you please emphasize the evaluation of a commonly held belief in the passage?

When picking out the primary purpose of a passage, it is more important to understand why the author includes certain information, not just what they discuss in a "major portion" of the passage.

Here's a breakdown of the passage:

1) First, the author introduces a commonly held belief (lower wages in developing countries will lead to the loss jobs in developed countries)
    2) Then, the author examines why wages are currently higher in developed countries, and says that they will remain so "for many years"
    3) Finally, the author argues that wages will eventually rise in developing countries as well

So, why did the author write this passage? He/she introduced a commonly held belief and then weighed in on some factors underpinning that belief. Namely, the author thinks that developing countries will not maintain low wages in the long run. Because this wage disparity is a key component of the belief, the author implies that the belief may not come to pass, or at least will not have a permanent effect.

(C) captures this purpose well:
Quote:

Take another look at (E):
Quote:

There are a couple of issues with this answer choice. First, the passage doesn't deal with a "well-known phenomenon" -- that would imply that this loss of jobs definitely DOES happen. A "belief" is just something that people THINK happens.

In addition, the author doesn't say that the scenario that many people believe in actually occurs, as stated in (E). If anything, the author implies that the belief is not entirely well-founded, because wages will eventually rise in developing countries.

(E) is out, and (C) is the correct answer to question #2.

I hope that helps!

Will2020 wrote:
GMATNinja Why B is wrong? tks! :)

Answer choice (B) for question 2 suggests that the primary purpose of the passage is to:
Quote:

(B) runs into a similar issue as (E): can we say that something that "many people believe" is a "generally accepted principle"? Maybe, but it's not great. Many people these days believe that the world is flat, but that's hardly a "generally accepted principle." (B) is already in thin ice.

The other issue with (B) is that the passage doesn't focus on the implications of low wages in developing countries leading to the elimination of jobs in developed countries. Will the elimination of jobs lead to widespread poverty in developed countries? Or will it lead to an economic depression? Or some other outcome? We have no idea, because the author never touches on the potential implications of the "belief" defined at the beginning of the passage.

Instead, the author focuses on the facts and assumptions underlying the belief, and uses these to evaluate whether the belief is actually well-supported.

For these reasons, (B) is out and (C) is the answer to question 2.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 1250
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:

Hi experts avigutman IanStewart

I've checked all previous posts in this thread but would like to confirm one issue. Hope that you could share some of your thoughts when you have time. :)

I am curious when we see the word "could" in options, do we interpret it as "being able to do something" or "likely something could happen"? In some cases the difference between the two meanings does not prevent me from confidently eliminating or picking the options, but in some cases (in the third question), the difference bothers me.

Quote:
3. The passage suggests that if the movement of capital in the world were restricted, which of the following would be likely?
(A) Advanced technology could move more quickly from developed countries to developing countries.
(B) Developed countries could compete more effectively for jobs with developing countries.
(C) A country's average wages could increase without significantly increasing the sophistication of its technology or the value of its currency.
(D) A country's productivity could increase without significantly increasing the value of its currency.
(E) Workers could obtain higher wages by increasing their productivity.

The option (D) is the correct answer.

If "could" means "being able to do something," the option (D) would read: a country's productivity is able to increase without significantly increasing the value of its currency. But I am not sure whether it answers the question, because I think that it can be inferred that if the wage increases are allowed, the productivity can go up without increasing the currency value, regardless of whether the capital movement is restricted.

(If the capital movement is free, the country has less chance of manipulating the currency value. If the capital movement is restricted, the country has better chance. But in both cases, if the wage increase are allowed, the productivity is able to go up and lead to a wage increase.)

On the other hand, I agree that (D) answers the question if the word "could" means "likely." This way, the option (D) would read: a country's productivity might increase without significantly increasing the value of its currency. Yes such thing is possible, because a country has better chance of keeping the currency undervalued when the capital movement is restricted.

Experts, what would you recommend me to do when I see the word "could" in options? I can check the two meanings to make sure I do not lightly eliminate options, but I am worried that this process might take much time.

Meanwhile, could I confirm the reasons why (C) and (E) are incorrect?

Quote:
3. The passage suggests that if the movement of capital in the world were restricted, which of the following would be likely?
(C) A country's average wages could increase without significantly increasing the sophistication of its technology or the value of its currency.

Is (C) incorrect because of the part colored in green? After all, the technology is not related to or involved in the discussion about capital movement or currency value change. I think if "could" means "likely" in the option (C), this option, without the technology part, would be similar to (D).

I feel that (E) itself is a not-bad inference from the passage, since if workers generally increase their productivity, the country's average productivity will rise and thus make the wage grow. By comparison, if (E) said "an individual worker could obtain higher wage...," it would be less ideal as a single worker cannot affect a country's average productivity, in normal sense.

But, is (E) wrong because it does not really answer the question? In other words, is (E) incorrect because it says something true when the capital movement is free, and also true when capital movement is restricted?

Thank you for your time.
Thank you for helping me learn. :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GraceSCKao wrote:
I am curious when we see the word "could" in options, do we interpret it as "being able to do something" or "likely something could happen"?
Hi GraceSCKao, I think you're overthinking this. Those two meanings never come into conflict, because if something has the agency (see definition #2 here) to "be able to do something," then it's not a matter of something that has a chance of happening - it's not left to chance. There's some entity that will either be able to or will not be able to make it happen.
GraceSCKao wrote:
Quote:
Correct answer is (D) A country's productivity could increase without significantly increasing the value of its currency.
If "could" means "being able to do something," the option (D) would read: a country's productivity is able to increase without significantly increasing the value of its currency.

A country's productivity isn't able to do stuff.
GraceSCKao wrote:
Meanwhile, could I confirm the reasons why (C) and (E) are incorrect?

Yes, I eliminate (C) because of the "sophistication of its technology" which doesn't come up in the context of countries "deliberately keeping their currencies undervalued" and I eliminate (E) for the same reason (it doesn't talk about what would happen if countries deliberately kept their currencies undervalued).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts