GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 May 2018, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Posts: 10
Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Sep 2012, 10:13
1
This post received
KUDOS
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (00:56) correct 25% (01:10) wrong based on 544 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been some of the most frequently translated works in literary history, while he wrote plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, which remained almost unknown outside his native Denmark.

A. Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been some of the most frequently translated works in literary history, while he wrote plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, which remained

B. Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which, while among the most frequently translated works in literary history, his plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies remain

C. Even as Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales have been among the most frequently translated works in literary history, still his plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, remain

D. Unlike the fairy tales written by Hans Christian Andersen, which are some of the most frequently translated works in literary history, he wrote plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, which remained

E. Although Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales that are among the most frequently translated works in literary history, his plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, remain

Originally posted by Daeny on 23 Sep 2012, 08:47.
Last edited by Daeny on 23 Sep 2012, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 May 2012
Posts: 71
Re: Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2012, 09:43
2
This post received
KUDOS
Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been some of the most frequently translated works in literary history, while he wrote plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, which remained almost unknown outside his native Denmark.

A. Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been some of the most frequently translated works in literary history, while he wrote plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, which remained - Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, while he wrote plays - not right
B. Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which, while among the most frequently translated works in literary history, his plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies remain - which, while - not right
C. Even as Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales have been among the most frequently translated works in literary history, still his plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, remain - Even as - not correct idiom
D. Unlike the fairy tales written by Hans Christian Andersen, which are some of the most frequently translated works in literary history, he wrote plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, which remained - Unlike the fairy tales, he wrote plays - not right
E. Although Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales that are among the most frequently translated works in literary history, his plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, remain - Correct
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 102
Location: United Kingdom
WE: Account Management (Other)
Re: Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2012, 02:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
What an ugly sentence!

Here’s my attempt and explainations:-
A – two errors. Firstly autobiographies is the only work that remained unknown when presumably the contract is being made between his fairy tails and all the remaining works (e.g. plays, novels etc). Secondly, I don’t think it’s correct to say ‘remained’, because these works still remain unknown. Remained is the incorrect past tense.
B – HCA’s fairy tales, which, ......, his plays, novels.... is incorrect. Either the which or the while needs removing.
C – ‘still’ doesn’t contrast the event after ‘even as’
D – Two errors. Firstly fairy tales is being compared to he (HCA) and secondly, the placement of which suggests that HCA is among the most frequently translated works.
E – Correct.

Anyone pick up any other errors?
_________________

In the study cave!

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4254
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2012, 05:28
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Yet another road leading to Rome:

1. The entire text is in present tense; any choice shifting from present tense to past tense is a departure from grammar. Drop A and D for using the past tense ‘remained’.

2. B is a fragment since the sub-clause introduced by ‘which’ does not have a verb and in addition the complex sentence and the compound sentence that follows it are just separated by a comma; hence this choice is a run-on too.

3. C lacks the contrast, the main intent of the text.

4. E remains, sidestepping all the above faults.
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2012
Posts: 10
Re: Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2013, 12:06
A, B: ‘which’ denotes non-essential modifier… wrong here… also, ‘while’ is surely wrong. Again, the second ‘which’ in
A is wrong.
C: still is WRONG
D: UNLIKE fairy tales … he… fairy tales are comapared with HE

So, Ans E
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2014
Posts: 48
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2014, 08:43
Why is B wrong here?

B. Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which, while among the most frequently translated works in literary history, his plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies remain - which, while - not right

why is which, while wrong?
_________________

Kudos my back and I Kudos your back

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 902
Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2014, 05:36
amenon55 wrote:
Why is B wrong here?

B. Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which, while among the most frequently translated works in literary history, his plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies remain - which, while - not right

why is which, while wrong?


I would say B presents most awkward construction among all options. I have highlighted all structural error and all awkward stuff.

which his plays remain -- two subject one verb.

B. Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales (clause ends), which(subject of relative clause), (modifer->) while among the most frequently translated works in literary history (<-ends) , his(another subject) plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies remain (verb) - which, while (what does it mean)- not right almost unknown outside his native Denmark.
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2015
Posts: 212
Re: Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 13:28
daagh wrote:
Yet another road leading to Rome:

1. The entire text is in present tense; any choice shifting from present tense to past tense is a departure from grammar. Drop A and D for using the past tense ‘remained’.

2. B is a fragment since the sub-clause introduced by ‘which’ does not have a verb and in addition the complex sentence and the compound sentence that follows it are just separated by a comma; hence this choice is a run-on too.

3. C lacks the contrast, the main intent of the text.

4. E remains, sidestepping all the above faults.


Hi daagh,


Can you please elaborate Point 1. How could you say that The entire text is in present tense..... I am not able to understand :roll:
According to me its in past tense because all the verbs wrote translated are pointing toward past tense.

Although I opted for correct option and was eliminate A and D easily.
But I want to understand how did you eliminated on the basis of VERBS

Please assist.

chetan2u... Would you like to contribute on this..?
_________________

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3202
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 14:32
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
PrakharGMAT wrote:
daagh wrote:
Yet another road leading to Rome:

1. The entire text is in present tense; any choice shifting from present tense to past tense is a departure from grammar. Drop A and D for using the past tense ‘remained’.

2. B is a fragment since the sub-clause introduced by ‘which’ does not have a verb and in addition the complex sentence and the compound sentence that follows it are just separated by a comma; hence this choice is a run-on too.

3. C lacks the contrast, the main intent of the text.

4. E remains, sidestepping all the above faults.


Hi daagh,


Can you please elaborate Point 1. How could you say that The entire text is in present tense..... I am not able to understand :roll:
According to me its in past tense because all the verbs wrote translated are pointing toward past tense.

Although I opted for correct option and was eliminate A and D easily.
But I want to understand how did you eliminated on the basis of VERBS

Please assist.

chetan2u... Would you like to contribute on this..?


It's past midnight in India and hence it would take some time for daagh and chetan2u to respond. In the mean time, I would try to answer your query.

Present tense: which have been.
Past tense: which remained.

The initial part of option A states that Fairly tales have been .... whereas the latter part states that autobiographies remained..... This is probably what daagh meant by shifting from present to past.

Nonetheless, please note that the correct verb should have been "have remained" since these works are still unknown outside native Denmark.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2015
Posts: 212
Re: Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 14:38
sayantanc2k wrote:
PrakharGMAT wrote:
daagh wrote:
Yet another road leading to Rome:

1. The entire text is in present tense; any choice shifting from present tense to past tense is a departure from grammar. Drop A and D for using the past tense ‘remained’.

2. B is a fragment since the sub-clause introduced by ‘which’ does not have a verb and in addition the complex sentence and the compound sentence that follows it are just separated by a comma; hence this choice is a run-on too.

3. C lacks the contrast, the main intent of the text.

4. E remains, sidestepping all the above faults.


Hi daagh,


Can you please elaborate Point 1. How could you say that The entire text is in present tense..... I am not able to understand :roll:
According to me its in past tense because all the verbs wrote translated are pointing toward past tense.

Although I opted for correct option and was eliminate A and D easily.
But I want to understand how did you eliminated on the basis of VERBS

Please assist.

chetan2u... Would you like to contribute on this..?


It's past midnight in India and hence it would take some time for daagh and chetan2u to respond. In the mean time, I would try to answer your query.

Present tense: which have been.
Past tense: which remained.

The initial part of option A states that Fairly tales have been .... whereas the latter part states that autobiographies remained..... This is probably what daagh meant by shifting from present to past.

Nonetheless, please note that the correct verb should have been "have remained" since these works are still unknown outside native Denmark.



Thanks for clearing doubt.
How could I miss --> which have been :oops:
_________________

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 25 Sep 2015
Posts: 134
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.26
Reviews Badge
Re: Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2016, 10:02
Daeny wrote:
Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been some of the most frequently translated works in literary history, while he wrote plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, which remained almost unknown outside his native Denmark.

A. Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been some of the most frequently translated works in literary history, while he wrote plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, which remained

B. Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which, while among the most frequently translated works in literary history, his plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies remain

C. Even as Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales have been among the most frequently translated works in literary history, still his plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, remain

D. Unlike the fairy tales written by Hans Christian Andersen, which are some of the most frequently translated works in literary history, he wrote plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, which remained

E. Although Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales that are among the most frequently translated works in literary history, his plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, remain



A - Good option. But, the word 'while' spoils the meaning of the sentence.
B - Same as A.
C - Even and Still - redundant. Stylistic error.
D - Unlike X, Y. X and Y should be parallel which is not the case. Since, X is active and Y is passive
E - Perfect.

IMO 600-700 level question.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2016
Posts: 55
Premium Member
Re: Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2016, 02:25
Hi sayantanc2k

very sorry to open this post after so long.

I have a doubt about my understanding of correct answer 'E'. As in the case of comparisons , we compare two similar entities , is the case similar with usage of 'Although'? We begin the sentence "Although Hans Christian wrote...... his plays, novels, poems.. remain. " the compared entities being 'Hans Christian' and 'his plays, novels'. Is this acceptable with conjunctions such as Although, while, etc..?

Thanks in advance

sayantanc2k wrote:
PrakharGMAT wrote:
daagh wrote:
Yet another road leading to Rome:

1. The entire text is in present tense; any choice shifting from present tense to past tense is a departure from grammar. Drop A and D for using the past tense ‘remained’.

2. B is a fragment since the sub-clause introduced by ‘which’ does not have a verb and in addition the complex sentence and the compound sentence that follows it are just separated by a comma; hence this choice is a run-on too.

3. C lacks the contrast, the main intent of the text.

4. E remains, sidestepping all the above faults.


Hi daagh,


Can you please elaborate Point 1. How could you say that The entire text is in present tense..... I am not able to understand :roll:
According to me its in past tense because all the verbs wrote translated are pointing toward past tense.

Although I opted for correct option and was eliminate A and D easily.
But I want to understand how did you eliminated on the basis of VERBS

Please assist.

chetan2u... Would you like to contribute on this..?


It's past midnight in India and hence it would take some time for daagh and chetan2u to respond. In the mean time, I would try to answer your query.

Present tense: which have been.
Past tense: which remained.

The initial part of option A states that Fairly tales have been .... whereas the latter part states that autobiographies remained..... This is probably what daagh meant by shifting from present to past.

Nonetheless, please note that the correct verb should have been "have remained" since these works are still unknown outside native Denmark.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Oct 2016
Posts: 118
CAT Tests
Re: Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 20:03
jjindal wrote:
very sorry to open this post after so long.

I have a doubt about my understanding of correct answer 'E'. As in the case of comparisons , we compare two similar entities , is the case similar with usage of 'Although'? We begin the sentence "Although Hans Christian wrote...... his plays, novels, poems.. remain. " the compared entities being 'Hans Christian' and 'his plays, novels'. Is this acceptable with conjunctions such as Although, while, etc..?

Thanks in advance


"Although ......" is a subordinate clause and it introduces a contrast here. "his plays, novels, poems,....." is an independent clause.

Sentence structure is : Although HCA wrote fairy tales etc, his plays, novels etc...remain unknown...

Answer: (E).
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 951
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 00:02
Daeny wrote:
Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been some of the most frequently translated works in literary history, while he wrote plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, which remained almost unknown outside his native Denmark.


A. Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been some of the most frequently translated works in literary history, while he wrote plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, which remained

B. Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which, while among the most frequently translated works in literary history, his plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies remain

C. Even as Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales have been among the most frequently translated works in literary history, still his plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, remain

D. Unlike the fairy tales written by Hans Christian Andersen, which are some of the most frequently translated works in literary history, he wrote plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, which remained

E. Although Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales that are among the most frequently translated works in literary history, his plays, novels, poems, and travel books, as well as several autobiographies, remain


A. "Wrote fairy tales while he wrote history" is not correct IMO. Also, "which remained" is wrong tense.

B. "which, while" is not correct.

C. We don't have a subject for "his" as HCA is in possessive case.

D. Wrong comparison - "Unlike the fairy tales" is a prepositional phrase, and "his plays" is a pronoun phrase.

E. E is correct.

_________________

"Success is not as glamorous as people tell you. It's a lot of hours spent in the darkness."

Re: Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been   [#permalink] 01 May 2018, 00:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Hans Christian Andersen wrote fairy tales, which have been

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.