Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 17:06 It is currently 02 May 2024, 17:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016 [#permalink]
For my essay I wrote what they asked - my theme was basically "tell us things we need to know".... I wrote 1500 words, and under about 4 sub-headings. Basically 4 mini-essays, simply about things that when I read my application in full I felt deserved more depth.

Like everyone says, it's completely individual and I suspect that's the point. How you answer the questions says as much as what you write!

I got invited to interview, and mine is on Tuesday (Eeek!).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yikes, I can only imagine the stress. I will be in your shoes in the next few months.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Had my interview for HBS a few weeks ago in Boston. The interview was very conversational and friendly. Mix of specific questions for me and generic questions (why HBS, walk through resume, etc). Talking to others who also interviewed makes me think that HBS has tilted their interview to a more friendly conversation, compared to in the past where others felt that it was high stress. The interviewees were also very diverse by region and industry.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kitkat6 wrote:
Ugh this waiting is tough. 3 weeks, 45 minutes to go!

Posted from my mobile device

Kitkat6 did you only apply to 3 schools? Are you preparing additional applications just in case? Trying to decide what my next step should be...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
I've started making contingency plans. Talking to recruiters at other firms now... hopefully it won't come to that, but worst case scenario I don't want to be unprepared if bad news comes next month.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
seamlessftw wrote:
I've started making contingency plans. Talking to recruiters at other firms now... hopefully it won't come to that, but worst case scenario I don't want to be unprepared if bad news comes next month.

My problem is that in my country, most people take off from Mid December to Mid January... So if I need any last minute references its not going to happen. I was invited to interview at 2 schools, So mentally I'm going to find it hard to prepare additional applications, even though I know I should have a back up plan. The Jan deadlines are awfully inconvenient!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
RSAproud wrote:
Kitkat6 wrote:

Posted from my mobile device

Kitkat6 did you only apply to 3 schools? Are you preparing additional applications just in case? Trying to decide what my next step should be...

Yep, just the 3 in R1. I'm starting to think about what other schools I would apply to if I get bad news, but haven't started anything yet. I'm thinking if H is a no go, I'll start my apps and have almost a month to finish them. I asked both my recommenders how much notice they need for early Jan deadlines and they said Dec 11 is plenty.

For right now, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for HBS, but I'm getting so antsy that I might start other apps just to distract myself...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Its going to be so hard to muster up the motivation to do anything in Round 2. I'm trying to write some essays now to keep myself occupied, but its just so difficult.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 790 Q50 V51
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kitkat6 wrote:
RSAproud wrote:
Kitkat6 wrote:

Yep, just the 3 in R1. I'm starting to think about what other schools I would apply to if I get bad news, but haven't started anything yet. I'm thinking if H is a no go, I'll start my apps and have almost a month to finish them. I asked both my recommenders how much notice they need for early Jan deadlines and they said Dec 11 is plenty.

For right now, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for HBS, but I'm getting so antsy that I might start other apps just to distract myself...

I know the waiting is so difficult. Trying to distract myself any way I can. Hope the next 3 weeks go by quickly!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
londoncalling1 wrote:

Been trying to protect my sanity by staying off the forums but diving back into a couple of the topics going on. Firstly, my essay was about 1200 words, no subheadings, answering very directly the prompt "what else do we need to know about you" and quite personal (and hopefully raised a smile or laugh).

As for this topic, last year I applied to 6 schools R1. I got into three of of them, waitlisted at one and rejected from two. I turned down all offers to stay with my startup another year and now am going through the process again (now narrowed down to 3 schools to reapply to).

It was a tough push doing 6 schools R1 but what I realised after I got my offers was that it really doesn't matter how many apps you send if you don't feel like you connect with the school (and I mean *connect* not *you feel like it ranks well*). There were three schools I loved (one of which I got into last year), and I would be thrilled to be at any of them, and I'm applying to those again. The number of applications is less relevant than the fit with the schools you're applying to. It's a hefty price tag to settle for something you wouldn't be happy with. Obviously it depends on your career plan and how critical an MBA is, but if there are three schools you want to go to, apply to those three and leave it at that.

Thanks for the input London! I've started thinking along those lines the past couple of days and it's great to see your first hand experience. I just knocked a few schools off my R2 list because I realized I would have a hard time convincing my S.O. that I actually wanted us to move there. It seems like a waste of time and money to apply if I wouldn't want to go anyway... no matter how high it's ranked. Let's hope we all get in exactly where we want to be and don't have to make any tough decisions :-D
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
Send PM
Hi guys. I just had in interview recently.

However, my interviewer told me after an interview that the result would be release online on 15th December. I don't think I misheard that. So has it been announced that the decision date is 15th not 11th?

Anyway, all the best for everyone!!!

Good luck! :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 790 Q50 V51
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
alomo wrote:

However, my interviewer told me after an interview that the result would be release online on 15th December. I don't think I misheard that. So has it been announced that the decision date is 15th not 11th?

No way. It's got to be the 11th. That's what it says on the website. Also, when I interviewed on campus a few weeks ago Dee Leopold quoted the Dec 11th date several times.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
yepgirlnope wrote:
alomo wrote:

No way. It's got to be the 11th. That's what it says on the website. Also, when I interviewed on campus a few weeks ago Dee Leopold quoted the Dec 11th date several times.

Well, maybe the the decision date remains Dec 11, but the list of accepted candidates will be made available online on Dec 15.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
Send PM
knightofdelta wrote:
yepgirlnope wrote:

Well, maybe the the decision date remains Dec 11, but the list of accepted candidates will be made available online on Dec 15.

Haha. So Hopefully there will be an e-mail informing us about the date later on I hope.

Just want to add about my interview to help out others who may interview this week or for Round 2.

My interview is completely resume-based with all the questions that really makes me feel that my interviewer has really read through my application for real! When I mentioned one issue about my essay, she said to me like "Oh! Like you have written in essay right?" So it caught me off-guard a bit but it really showed that she really have read the whole application!

She dug deep into my details about my current job and really like super deep asking about my customer and how I do my business. She ask some normal stuff like my weakness and why I choose my first job and my university and why I move to second job as well.

She didn't ask Why MBA, Why HBS or any typical MBA questions though. No walk me through your resume neither.

30 minutes can't be faster than HBS interview I Must say and she probably asked about 20 questions in 30 minutes time!

Overall, I felt quite weird coming out don't know if I did ok or bad or good at all and now I just keep thinking how I could answered better or what aspect I should have said! It is torturing actually! haha

Now the waiting begins! Let's hope for the best! :)

How about you guys? Has it gone well for you guys?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Dee sent an email yesterday confirming the 11th:

"By now, you have had your HBS interview – and you've reflected on it. So this is the "what’s next" memo.

We're headed toward 12/11/13. For us, it feels like a very (very) short time...we have so much to do, so much to read, so many meetings to hold. But for you, it must feel like a long wait. Let me tell you what will happen at 12:00 noon Boston time on 12/11/13."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Well, what I can say is that the interview was intense. Around 35 minutes of fairly rapid-fire questioning, I think we must have hit around 14 main questions, with anywhere between 2- 5 follow-on questions for a few of those when the interviewer felt that she wanted more information.

Most of the questions were fairly standard HBS fare: a lot of "WHY" and "HOW" questions about decisions and transitions in my academic and professional career. (I obtained a graduate degree in law after college). Thankfully, I didn't get any of those "toughest questions" that were in the Harbus book, though I had prepared for them.

Interviewer was definitely pleasant, but also inscrutable, she gives you no information about whether you are doing well, and was frequently scribbling notes on a copy of my resume.

Now comes the really hard part, waiting for the decisions on Dec 11. I have a feeling I'm not going to be sleeping well until then.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ktlee1981 wrote:
Well, what I can say is that the interview was intense. Around 35 minutes of fairly rapid-fire questioning, I think we must have hit around 14 main questions, with anywhere between 2- 5 follow-on questions for a few of those when the interviewer felt that she wanted more information.

Most of the questions were fairly standard HBS fare: a lot of "WHY" and "HOW" questions about decisions and transitions in my academic and professional career. (I obtained a graduate degree in law after college). Thankfully, I didn't get any of those "toughest questions" that were in the Harbus book, though I had prepared for them.

Interviewer was definitely pleasant, but also inscrutable, she gives you no information about whether you are doing well, and was frequently scribbling notes on a copy of my resume.

Now comes the really hard part, waiting for the decisions on Dec 11. I have a feeling I'm not going to be sleeping well until then.

As a lawyer, you must have spoken well... interview is all about expressing yourself succinctly. I am sure you have a leg up over mere mortals like us. Good luck for 12/11
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  27   28   29   30   31   32   33  ...  55   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts