Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 188
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Help me make a retake plan! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi hk111,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. Raising a 430 to a 590 is a significant achievement though - and it shows that you have the capacity to adapt and improve. That having been said, the next 110+ points that you're interested in will require that you focus on a different set of skills (from the ones that you emphasized during your earlier studies).

When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Over the last 3 months, how many hours did you typically study each week?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the books that you mentioned?
3) You listed 6 CAT results, but you mentioned that you took each of those CATs more than once. On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Draples wrote:
I found myself in a similar situation to you. If I were in your shoes, I would do the following:
1) Quant: Target Test Prep. This is the only thing you need for Quant. Work your way through all the chapters!
2) Verbal: If you really want to save money, Target Test Prep also has CR and SC content. I thought it was excellent. Sprinkle in some LSAT verbal questions, too. If you want to spend more, I'd go with E-GMAT.
3) Don't take another official practice test until you've studied for at least a couple hundred more hours. Just focus on the Target Test Prep lessons and practice questions.

Be careful about spending 8-10 hrs/day on your studies. First, you run the risk of burnout. Second, it's extremely hard to internalize new content for 8 hours straight. Content you study at the end of the day might not sink in very well.

First of all, thankyou for reading through and providing your feedback.

I am planning to purchase the E-GMAT focused plan(2 months validity) for $199. Since I want to take my Verbal to V40, it looks like the ideal choice. Though E-gmat is not known for its quant, I guess it will be more than sufficient to get me past Q46.

What are your thoughts on the same?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi hk111,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. Raising a 430 to a 590 is a significant achievement though - and it shows that you have the capacity to adapt and improve. That having been said, the next 110+ points that you're interested in will require that you focus on a different set of skills (from the ones that you emphasized during your earlier studies).

When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Over the last 3 months, how many hours did you typically study each week?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the books that you mentioned?
3) You listed 6 CAT results, but you mentioned that you took each of those CATs more than once. On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

Thankyou for your response Rich. I will answer your questions below

1. 30-40hrs/week
2. I have extensively used the Manhattan guides, reffered Aristole for SC and done almost all my practice from GMAT club question banks (tags - usually only official and manhattan). I have purchased an additional question bank from GMAT prep
3. I have mentioned the date and the test split above

I will get back to you if I decide to purchase the ESR.

thankyou!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hk111,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37316 posts