Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619249 [12]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619249 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 195
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Apple Inc
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
Saupayan: Mazumdar
Concentration: Economics, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GRE 1: Q170 V160
GPA: 3.89
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: HOT Competition 1 Sep/8PM: Anthropologist: During my recent canvass of [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
A. Fails to present any evidence that directly supports its central claim.

Evidence presented was about a tribe he encountered. Conclusion is "there remains at least one as yet undiscovered and uncontacted tribe living in Madagascar’s rainforests." Now, this tribe he came in contact with has been discovered (by him). So, this can't be the undiscovered tribe. So, there has to be some other tribe which is undiscovered. And he doesn't give any evidence of that.
Hence A is the right answer

Quote:
B. Does not consider whether undiscovered tribes would wish to have contact with the outside world.

Whether the tribe wants to contact the outside world is irrelevant when we are trying to answer "IF" they came in contact with outside world. It may or may not be by choice. So, doesn't matter. Hence, the flaw in the argument isn't this.

Quote:
C. Presupposes what it seeks to establish.

Well, he doesn't presuppose anything. Presuppose means to take something as given. Nowhere in the premise has the anthropologist done that. So, not the right answer.

Quote:
D. Assumes, without evidence, that the tribe encountered by the anthropologist had not previously interacted with outsiders.

Firstly, He does have some evidence: the tribe members told him so
Secondly, whether they had "PREVIOUSLY" come in contact with the outside world is irrelevant. The point is they have come in contact now. So, they are no longer undiscovered, or uniterracteed (to hell with grammar :D ) with outside world.

Quote:
E. Depends on the unwarranted assumption that the natives were able to communicate correctly in the anthropologist’s native language.

Nowhere has this been assumed. Neither is this assumption required. They may communicate in sign language for all we know. The point is there was communication. We can challenge whether the communication was proper or not, but that's not the objection raised by option E. Anyway, for reasons mentioned, E is wrong

Answer: A

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: HOT Competition 1 Sep/8PM: Anthropologist: During my recent canvass of [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
Anthropologist: During my recent canvass of the last previously unexplored section of Madagascar’s rainforests, I met a group of natives who communicated to me that they had no knowledge of the outside world. This new discovery proves that there remains at least one as yet undiscovered and uncontacted tribe living in Madagascar’s rainforests.

Spoke to " last previously unexplored group" --> Group told they had no knowledge of the outside world
Conclusion: more undiscovered and uncontacted tribe living in Madagascar’s
Quote:
The anthropologist’s argument is flawed in that it

-- Correct, author concluded without any evidence.

B. Does not consider whether undiscovered tribes would wish to have contact with the outside world.
-- Irrelevant

-- Author didn't Presuppose, he concluded after speaking to tribe people.

D. Assumes, without evidence, that the tribe encountered by the anthropologist had not previously interacted with outsiders.
-- It is not about interacting with outside. Eliminate.

E. Depends on the unwarranted assumption that the natives were able to communicate correctly in the anthropologist’s native language.
-- Out of scope. This need not to be true that tribe folks spoken in anthropologist’s native language.

IMO answer is A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
IMO ans is A

Anthropologist: During my recent canvass of the last previously unexplored section of Madagascar’s rainforests, I met a group of natives who communicated to me that they had no knowledge of the outside world. This new discovery proves that there remains at least one as yet undiscovered and uncontacted tribe living in Madagascar’s rainforests

Conclusion:- there remains at least one as yet undiscovered and uncontacted tribe living in Madagascar’s rainforests.

Supporting Claim :- A group of natives who communicated to me that they had no knowledge of the outside world.

[b]Correct
While Anthropologist says that he communicated with the tribe, there is no evidence provided in the argument.
Evidence must be the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

Incorrect
The wish of tribes doesn't affect the conclusion.

Incorrect
While Anthropologist says "unexplored" region of Madagascar, he visited and communicated with tribes, not presupposing.

Incorrect
This Options talk about interaction with Outsiders, while Conclusion stresses on "knowledge of" outside world which are logically different

Incorrect
Option stresses on communication in the native language, there can be another way of communication like sign language.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [1]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
IMO A

(I) Anthropologists met a group of natives who communicated that they had no knowledge of outside world.
(II) Anthropologists conclusion: There remains at least one as yet undiscovered and uncontacted tribe living in Madagascar’s rainforests.

Pre-thinking:
- On careful examination, one can note that the natives pointed to have no information about the outside world but the conclusion is that the tribe is undiscovered & contacted.
- Does the conclusion of tribe being Undiscovered & uncontacted supported by the premise of not having information about outside world? No, It is possible for one condition to exist even without the other.
- Take an example of Amazon tribe- They may not be having information of the outside world since they have not contacted people outside their own tribe but people have discovered then and tried to contact them.
So, basically the premise on which conclusion is built is not supportive to that.

The anthropologist’s argument is flawed in that it

A. Fails to present any evidence that directly supports its central claim. - Correct -
As per pre-thinking, the premise not support the central claim. The central claim -"tribe being undiscovered & uncontacted" is not supported by the evidence that the "tribe is not having information about outside world",i.e having no information is not depictive of not being contacted.

B. Does not consider whether undiscovered tribes would wish to have contact with the outside world. - Incorrect -
This option is not related to conclusion and can be straightway eliminated. Wish part not forms the part of argument & is not a reason at all to influence the conclusion.

C. Presupposes what it seeks to establish. - Incorrect -
This is not a case of circular reasoning under which author assume something that has to be proved to be true and base the conclusion on that. An example of this case would have been - " Since, the tribe have not been contacted or discovered by the outside world, there exist at least one tribe that is undiscovered". but here author use a premise but there is a gap between the premise & the conclusion.

D. Assumes, without evidence, that the tribe encountered by the anthropologist had not previously interacted with outsiders.- Incorrect -
The author has not assumed that the tribe had not interacted previously, rather he based his conclusion on the claim of natives who communicated to have no knowledge of the outside world. the Flaw is the gap between what has been stated & What has been concluded.

E. Depends on the unwarranted assumption that the natives were able to communicate correctly in the anthropologist’s native language.- - Incorrect -
The conclusion is not based on assumption that the natives communicated correctly in anthropologists native language. Even if there were not able to communicate in anthropologist’s native language & the anthropologist was able decipher the meaning , the conclusion would stand true. The flaw is actually the basis on which conclusion is built.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 152
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Kudos
IMO A

P1; During my recent canvass of the last previously unexplored section of Madagascar’s rainforests, I met a group of natives who communicated to me that they had no knowledge of the outside world.
Conclusion: This new discovery proves that there remains at least one as yet undiscovered and uncontacted tribe living in Madagascar’s rainforests.

A. Fails to present any evidence that directly supports its central claim. - correct
Out of the other options this seems the most relevant. The argument makes thr jump from the tribe having no knowledge of the outside world to undiscovered uncontacted tribe

B. Does not consider whether undiscovered tribes would wish to have contact with the outside world. - incorrect
Irrelevant. Does not harm the argument

C. Presupposes what it seeks to establish.- incorrect
There is no cyclic reference in this argument, which is typical of this type of error

D. Assumes, without evidence, that the tribe encountered by the anthropologist had not previously interacted with outsiders. - incorrect
This attacks the premise instead of the conclusion

E. Depends on the unwarranted assumption that the natives were able to communicate correctly in the anthropologist’s native language. - incorrect
It is never mentioned that they communicated in the anthropologist's native language

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts