Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619244 [4]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [5]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [2]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [1]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: HOT Competition (Instagram) 1 Sep/10:00AM: In a recent study, research [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO E

Concept:
"Like Vs Such as"
- Like is used for comparison, Such as is used to present examples.
Idiom: More X than Y

Ques: In a recent study, researchers reported that several times more carbon dioxide could be removed from the atmosphere by using sequestration techniques like enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees than by changing the entire world’s automobile fleet to electric vehicles.

A. techniques like enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees than by - Incorrect -
Use of "Like" top present example is wrong.

B. techniques like enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees than would be by - Incorrect -
Use of "Like" top present example is wrong. E
Parallelism Break: "More CO2 could be removed by XYZ than Would be by PQR"

C. such techniques as enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even by artificial trees as - Incorrect -
"Uses of Such As' to Give example is OK.
Idiom Error: "More X as Y" is not idiomatic

D. such techniques as enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees as by - Incorrect -
Idiom Error: "More X as Y" is not idiomatic

E. such techniques as enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees than by Correct
Idiom is also correct " More X than Y" & parallelism is maintained- " More by X ...than by Y....

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [1]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
Re: HOT Competition (Instagram) 1 Sep/10:00AM: In a recent study, research [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
A. techniques like enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees than by

Unless you’re brand-new to GMAT SC, you probably know the deal here: if we’re introducing examples, the GMAT prefers “such as” over “like.” That’s enough to eliminate (A).

In case you’re wondering, the parallelism is fine here: “...enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees…” We have three parallel nouns, so there’s no problem. Don’t be fooled by the phrase “perhaps even” -- that’s just a modifier that adds a little bit of extra commentary about the artificial trees, but it doesn’t fundamentally change the parallelism.

In other words, we still have three logically parallel nouns; the author just had a tiny bit more to say about the artificial trees.

Anyway, (A) is out because of the “like” issue.

Quote:
B. techniques like enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees than would be by

The only difference between (A) and (B) is the addition of the phrase “would be” in (B). That phrase isn’t great, because the following is the fundamental comparison that happens in the sentence:

Several times more carbon dioxide could be removed from the atmosphere:

by using sequestration techniques such as W, X, and Y...
    than
    by changing Z

Why would we need to insert the phrase “would be” before the “by”? It’s unnecessary at best, confusing at worst.

Anyway, the “like” problem is an even clearer problem, just like in (A). So (B) is gone.

Quote:
C. such techniques as enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even by artificial trees as

We have “such as” here, and that’s good. But we have a parallelism issue now: “...enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even by artificial trees…”

Whoa. What’s the “by” doing there? We have “... (noun), (noun), (gratuitous preposition)(noun)...” And that’s not OK. (C) is out.

Let’s line up these last two side-by-side:
Quote:
D. such techniques as enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees as by
E. such techniques as enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees than by

The only difference here is “as” vs. “than”. Here’s a hint:

Quote:
...several times more carbon dioxide could be removed from the atmosphere by using sequestration techniques…

Would you follow that phrase with a “than” or an “as”? Well, would you say "I ate four times more burritos AS bb last night"? Nope -- I ate four times more burritos THAN bb.

The same is true here. Several times MORE carbon dioxide can be removed by using (techniques W, X, Y) THAN by using (technique Z).

So (E) is the answer.

And in case you're wondering: it is absolutely not a problem to separate the "such" and the "as". Here's an example of that from an official question.

Im not the native here and I know that "like" is not used to introduce examples, but of all the hundreds of SC questions I have tried Ive never met a correct option that sounds so terribly wrong as this one:

"...by using sequestration such techniques as..."

Its not that "such" and "as" are separated, but the sentence is clearly lacking words. Does it really sound correct to you?

Some minor corrections that would improve the sentence could be:

1. "...by using such sequestration techniques as..."

2. "...by using for sequestration such techniques as..."

3. "...by using sequestration techniques such as..."

Thanks in advance.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Structure

• In a recent study, – prepositional phrase; modifies the main verb (“reported”)
• researchers reported that several times more carbon dioxide could be removed from the atmosphere -main clause; SV pair – “researchers”, reported
• by using sequestration techniques like enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees than – prepositional phrase; modifies the verb “could be removed”
• by changing the entire world’s automobile fleet to electric vehicles - prepositional phrase; modifies the verb “could be removed”

Meaning/Crux

Researchers reported that more CO2 can be removed from atmosphere using sequestration techniques compared to the amount of CO2 that can be removed by changing all automobile vehicles to electric vehicles.

Error Analysis

A. techniques like enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees than by
CORRECT

B. techniques like enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees than would be by

Ellipsis error – Whenever we repeat certain words that are skipped for clarity, we must repeat the exact verbs that are repeated elsewhere in the sentence. Here if we have to repeat the missing words then the entire set of words should be repeated i.e. than “could be removed from the atmosphere”. Therefore, repetition of “would be” is incorrect.

REJECT

C. such techniques as enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even by artificial trees as

Idiom error - use of “such technique as” is unidiomatic in this sentence structure. It should ideally be “technique such as”
Parallelism error – use of “byviolates parallelism (could be removed by using sequestration techniques and perhaps even artificial trees )
Comparison error – use of “as” for comparison is incorrect. “than” is preferred here.

REJECT

D. such techniques as enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees as by

Idiom error - Use of “such technique as” is unidiomatic in this sentence structure. It should ideally be “technique such as”
Comparison error – use of “as” for comparison is incorrect. “than” is preferred here.

REJECT

E. such techniques as enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees than by

Idiom error - Use of “such technique as” is unidiomatic in this sentence structure. It should ideally be “technique such as”

REJECT
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bambi2021 wrote:
Im not the native here and I know that "like" is not used to introduce examples, but of all the hundreds of SC questions I have tried Ive never met a correct option that sounds so terribly wrong as this one:

"...by using sequestration such techniques as..."

Its not that "such" and "as" are separated, but the sentence is clearly lacking words. Does it really sound correct to you?

Some minor corrections that would improve the sentence could be:

1. "...by using such sequestration techniques as..."

2. "...by using for sequestration such techniques as..."

3. "...by using sequestration techniques such as..."

Thanks in advance.

Great catch! The original post was indeed flawed. The typos have been fixed, and the people responsible for the typo have been flogged accordingly. Sorry for the confusion!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
In a recent study, researchers reported that several times more carbon dioxide could be removed from the atmosphere by using sequestration techniques like enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees than by changing the entire world’s automobile fleet to electric vehicles.

A. sequestration techniques like enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees than by
except for the usage of like everything is perfect however out

B. sequestration techniques like enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees than would be by
would be isn't the right usage than by is the perfect usbstitute and like isn't used for comparison

C. such sequestration techniques as enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even by artificial trees as
as in the end is not the correct usage therefore out

D. such sequestration techniques as enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees as by
as by isn't conveying the right meaning

E. such sequestration techniques as enhanced rock weathering, scrubbing towers, and perhaps even artificial trees than by
The meaning is perfect and the comparison is spot on hence our option

Therefore IMO E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts