GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 10:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
User avatar
B
Status: I don't stop when I'm Tired,I stop when I'm done
Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 551
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 04:45
2
17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (00:58) correct 38% (00:40) wrong based on 593 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each at its own constant rate, to empty a tank that was initially full?

(1) Working alone at its constant rate,Pump A would empty the full tank in 4 hours 20 minutes.
(2) Working alone, Pump B would empty the full tank at its constant rate of 72 liters per minute.

OG Q 2017 New Question(Book Question: 186)

_________________

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2012
Posts: 334
Schools: Schulich '16
Re: How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 08:26
1
E

A)A's rate is there
B)B's rate is given in litre/min

1+2
not suff
We don't know the total time for B to empty tank
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Posts: 511
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Re: How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 08:44
1. A can empty the tank in 4 hours and 20 minutes but no information on B so insufficient.
2. B's rate is given in litres/min instead of time taken .
Therefore E
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 603
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Re: How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2016, 01:16
3
AbdurRakib wrote:
How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together,each at its own constant rate,to empty a tank that was initially full?

(1) Working alone at its constant rate,Pump A would empty the full tank in 4 hours 20 minutes.
(2) Working alone,Pump B would empty the full tank at its constant rate of 72 liters per minute.

OG Q 2017 New Question(Book Question: 186)


(1) Working alone at its constant rate,Pump A would empty the full tank in 4 hours 20 minutes.
A will empty the tank in 260 minutes.
Rate of A * 260min= VOLUME TO BE EMPTIED
We don't know the rate of A or volume of the tank
INSUFFICIENT

(2) Working alone,Pump B would empty the full tank at its constant rate of 72 liters per minute.
B's rate is 72 litre per minute.
72*time = volume
We don't know volume of the tank so or how much time B takes to empty.
INSUFFICIENT


Combining 1 and 2, we still don't know the total water in the tank
rate of A*260 = 72*time of B
Even if we change rate into time or time into rate, we will still have two unknowns {volume and time} or {volume or rate}
{V and R } or {V and T}

Obvious enough we still cannot solve this equation because we do not know the volume

INSUFFICIENT

ANSWER IS E
_________________

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Aug 2016
Posts: 45
How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Jul 2018, 00:53
Hello guys...

I know that this is a simple problem but I have questions.

In many work/rate problems we create the WRT table and after having the 4hrs and 20 min for (1) we assume that the total work equals 1 and we have the rate which is 1/(time of pump A to complete the work). This basically helps us determine the % of completion per hour!

In (2) we are given the actual rate which is understandable that doesn't help since we don't know the total liters or total time.

Q1: Is it wrong to say that the rate for pump A from (1) is 1/(4hrs 20mins) meaning 23% of the work per hour?
Q2: Logically since we know from (1) the rate and from (2) the rate we can find the total time by adding the two rates and find the reciprocal of the result. Why we can't do that?
Q3: If we had on (2) the time of completion the (1+2) would be SUFFICIENT? -- We could use the same logic as (1).

Please let me know. I must have missed something...

Bunuel VeritasPrepKarishma

Originally posted by standyonda on 27 May 2018, 00:10.
Last edited by standyonda on 03 Jul 2018, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 1164
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 04:22
gmatbusters niks18 VeritasPrepKarishma amanvermagmat pushpitkc


Quote:
How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each at its own constant rate, to empty a tank that was initially full?

(1) Working alone at its constant rate,Pump A would empty the full tank in 4 hours 20 minutes.
(2) Working alone, Pump B would empty the full tank at its constant rate of 72 liters per minute.


Even if the total volume of tank is given hypothetically, can we safely assume that the rate of emptying the tank is
same for A and B ?
_________________

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

DS Forum Moderator
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 Oct 2017
Posts: 671
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 04:25
Your Query:
can we safely assume that the rate of emptying the tank is same for A and B ? - NO

Don't ever assume so unless explicitly mentioned.


adkikani wrote:
gmatbusters niks18 VeritasPrepKarishma amanvermagmat pushpitkc


Quote:
How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each at its own constant rate, to empty a tank that was initially full?

(1) Working alone at its constant rate,Pump A would empty the full tank in 4 hours 20 minutes.
(2) Working alone, Pump B would empty the full tank at its constant rate of 72 liters per minute.


Even if the total volume of tank is given hypothetically, can we safely assume that the rate of emptying the tank is
same for A and B ?

_________________

SC: Confusable words
All you need for Quant, GMAT PS Question Directory,GMAT DS Question Directory
Error log/Key Concepts
Combination Concept: Division into groups
Question of the Day (QOTD)
Free GMAT CATS

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Aug 2016
Posts: 45
How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Jul 2018, 00:53
standyonda wrote:
Hello guys...

I know that this is a simple problem but I have questions.

In many work/rate problems we create the WRT table and after having the 4hrs and 20 min for (1) we assume that the total work equals 1 and we have the rate which is 1/(time of pump A to complete the work). This basically helps us determine the % of completion per hour!

In (2) we are given the actual rate which is understandable that doesn't help since we don't know the total liters or total time.

Q1: Is it wrong to say that the rate for pump A from (1) is 1/(4hrs 20mins) meaning 23% of the work per hour?
Q2: Logically since we know from (1) the rate and from (2) the rate we can find the total time by adding the two rates and find the reciprocal of the result. Why we can't do that?
Q3: If we had on (2) the time of completion the (1+2) would be SUFFICIENT? -- We could use the same logic as (1).

Please let me know. I must have missed something...

Bunuel VeritasPrepKarishma


VeritasPrepKarishma can you check the Qs please?

Originally posted by standyonda on 12 Jun 2018, 07:59.
Last edited by standyonda on 03 Jul 2018, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jun 2017
Posts: 24
Re: How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 05:51
hi standyonda,

Not at all expert but I thought same as you and marked C but later realised that problem never tells us that both pumps are attached to same tank.
We assumed that both pumps are of same tank and solved taking capacity as 1.
Should not have assumed this.

Hope it helps your doubt!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Aug 2016
Posts: 45
How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2018, 03:45
manasveek wrote:
hi standyonda,

Not at all expert but I thought same as you and marked C but later realised that problem never tells us that both pumps are attached to same tank.
We assumed that both pumps are of same tank and solved taking capacity as 1.
Should not have assumed this.

Hope it helps your doubt!


The issue here is that on (1) we can say that {1 work} is {1 full tank emptied per min} so this is our measurement unit for {work}. However with (2) we have {litres per minute} so it obviously doesn't make any sense to solve it using both statements and work=1.
How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each &nbs [#permalink] 26 Jun 2018, 03:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.