Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 21:08 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 21:08
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Level,   Work and Rate Problems,                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39446 [198]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2367 [29]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5805 [14]
Given Kudos: 238
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Schulich '16
Send PM
Re: How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each [#permalink]
Kudos
E

A)A's rate is there
B)B's rate is given in litre/min

1+2
not suff
We don't know the total time for B to empty tank
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [3]
Given Kudos: 620
Schools: ISB '20 NUS '21
GMAT 1: 420 Q26 V13
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
Send PM
Re: How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each [#permalink]
Kudos
Explanation in video format by GMAT Quantum

https://gmatquantum.com/official-guides ... nt-review/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [2]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Kudos
[quote="standyonda"]Hello guys...

I know that this is a simple problem but I have questions.

In many work/rate problems we create the WRT table and after having the 4hrs and 20 min for (1) we assume that the total work equals 1 and we have the rate which is 1/(time of pump A to complete the work). This basically helps us determine the % of completion per hour!

In (2) we are given the actual rate which is understandable that doesn't help since we don't know the total liters or total time.

Q1: Is it wrong to say that the rate for pump A from (1) is 1/(4hrs 20mins) meaning 23% of the work per hour?
Q2: Logically since we know from (1) the rate and from (2) the rate we can find the total time by adding the two rates and find the reciprocal of the result. Why we can't do that?
Q3: If we had on (2) the time of completion the (1+2) would be SUFFICIENT? -- We could use the same logic as (1).

Please let me know. I must have missed something...

I have the exact same question , can anybody shed some light on this issue?
Why can't we approach it by setting 1/260 + 72 =1/x ?
gmatbusters chetan2u Bunuel VeritasKarishma
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5805 [8]
Given Kudos: 238
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Please find attached the response to your queries:
Q1: Is it wrong to say that the rate for pump A from (1) is 1/(4hrs 20mins) meaning 23% of the work per hour?
It is valid.

Q2: Logically since we know from (1) the rate and from (2) the rate we can find the total time by adding the two rates and find the reciprocal of the result. Why we can't do that?
from (1), we know the rate of A in terms of total work, from 2, we know the B's absolute rate of doing work but since, we don't know the total work, we can't find the rate of B in terms of total work and hence can't use them as you mentioned.

Q3: If we had on (2) the time of completion the (1+2) would be SUFFICIENT? -- We could use the same logic as (1).
if time of completion of B given,then we can find the rate of B in terms of total work, so using both statements 1 &2, we can find answer, hence sufficient.

UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
standyonda wrote:
Hello guys...

I know that this is a simple problem but I have questions.

In many work/rate problems we create the WRT table and after having the 4hrs and 20 min for (1) we assume that the total work equals 1 and we have the rate which is 1/(time of pump A to complete the work). This basically helps us determine the % of completion per hour!

In (2) we are given the actual rate which is understandable that doesn't help since we don't know the total liters or total time.

Please let me know. I must have missed something...

I have the exact same question , can anybody shed some light on this issue?
Why can't we approach it by setting 1/260 + 72 =1/x ?
gmatbusters chetan2u Bunuel VeritasKarishma
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
gmatbusters thank you for the prompt reply, just one question could you elaborate on the difference between absolute rate of doing work and the rate in terms of total work?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [4]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Kudos
Nice C-trap problem

How many hours would it take Pump A and Pump B working together, each at its own constant rate, to empty a tank that was initially full?

(1) Working alone at its constant rate,Pump A would empty the full tank in 4 hours 20 minutes.
Insufficient b/c we don't know B.
(2) Working alone, Pump B would empty the full tank at its constant rate of 72 liters per minute.
Insufficient b/c we don't know A.

C: Careful, B doesn't actually tell us how long it would take to empty the tank, only that it does so at 72 litres / minute. We would need the actual duration as in A.

E.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22731 [10]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Kudos