Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Re: How Regional is Your School? Looking at Job Placement Data [#permalink]
Thanks for your feedback guys. I have updated the file.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Great work! what this tells me though, every school is pretty regional. East coast and West coast schools a bit more then others (understandably so, since more MBA jobs are located on the coasts).

BUT, This tells me less about how regional schools are, and more about how regional regions are...

You can get to the Northeast or the West coast from pretty much anywhere, BUT if you plan on working in the Mid-west, South or even Mid-Atlantic post mba, you're best bet is to go to a school in that area.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
Great work!

Thank you highwyre! I wanted to do something similar with industries and job functions as well. But different schools categorize these in different ways. It will take a lot of effort. Maybe I'll do that in the future.

highwyre237 wrote:
what this tells me though, every school is pretty regional. East coast and West coast schools a bit more then others (understandably so, since more MBA jobs are located on the coasts).

BUT, This tells me less about how regional schools are, and more about how regional regions are...

You can get to the Northeast or the West coast from pretty much anywhere, BUT if you plan on working in the Mid-west, South or even Mid-Atlantic post mba, you're best bet is to go to a school in that area.

You have provided a great insight. But this really confuses me. Consider for example, a Stanford graduate wants to work in the South (for family reasons maybe), and it is safe to assume that he/she will be considered competitive against Fuqua/Darden/Goizueta/UNC graduates. So, even if any graduate from a top school wants to work in a region where the presence of their alumni is not strong, they should be able to get employment there.

Maybe the salaries of different regions have something to do with this?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
onion253 wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
what this tells me though, every school is pretty regional. East coast and West coast schools a bit more then others (understandably so, since more MBA jobs are located on the coasts).

You have provided a great insight. But this really confuses me. Consider for example, a Stanford graduate wants to work in the South (for family reasons maybe), and it is safe to assume that he/she will be considered competitive against Fuqua/Darden/Goizueta/UNC graduates. So, even if any graduate from a top school wants to work in a region where the presence of their alumni is not strong, they should be able to get employment there.

I think this has to do with self-selective behavior more than anything. Yes, someone who gets into GSB can land a job ANYWHERE - it just happens that most are drawn to Stanford due to its Bay area location and placement in that region. The same can be said for a school like Goizueta - they draw a lot of interest from students who are interested in staying in the Atlanta or placing in the Southeast.

The logic here is if someone wants to be in a certain region after school, there's something about it they like, so they'd probably prefer to go to school in that region as well. I think the only schools that are exempt from this are HSW. In other words, people who say: "I want to be in LA after I graduate, but I'd like to live in NYC for two years before I do that." are in the strict minority.

And of course there's the "network cycle" if school "A" places most graduates in one region, that's where the network is strongest, and a lot of future graduates will want to end up in that region, so that feeds into a schools "regionality."
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
onion253 wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

I think this has to do with self-selective behavior more than anything. Yes, someone who gets into GSB can land a job ANYWHERE - it just happens that most are drawn to Stanford due to its Bay area location and placement in that region. The same can be said for a school like Goizueta - they draw a lot of interest from students who are interested in staying in the Atlanta or placing in the Southeast.

The logic here is if someone wants to be in a certain region after school, there's something about it they like, so they'd probably prefer to go to school in that region as well. I think the only schools that are exempt from this are HSW. In other words, people who say: "I want to be in LA after I graduate, but I'd like to live in NYC for two years before I do that." are in the strict minority.

And of course there's the "network cycle" if school "A" places most graduates in one region, that's where the network is strongest, and a lot of future graduates will want to end up in that region, so that feeds into a schools "regionality."

Spot on. The bolded part above is actually just what I was about to say myself. For example, the Sloan network is strongest in the North East and on the West Coast, so in some ways graduates get funneled there because opportunities are greater (through networking) and because a disproportionately high percentage of one's friends from each class are likely to go there.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
kingfalcon wrote:
CobraKai wrote:
onion253 wrote:

Spot on. The bolded part above is actually just what I was about to say myself. For example, the Sloan network is strongest in the North East and on the West Coast, so in some ways graduates get funneled there because opportunities are greater (through networking) and because a disproportionately high percentage of one's friends from each class are likely to go there.

agreed with Cobrakai and King Falcon.

To add, here's a few interesting pivot tables I threw together with your data, plus the class sizes of each school.

The first table shows the percentage of that MBA market a school makes up... so, lets say you want to work in the northeast, do you have more alumni to reach out to from a large midwestern school like Booth, or a small Northeastern school like Tuck?

(I know I know, Tuck alumni tend to be more responsive... if someone wants to put a metric around the response rate of an alumni base and add it into this calculation go for it...)

the second pretty much rolls the data from your table into regions, how regional is a certain region of schools?

As you can see, 57% of employees in the south went to school in the south, 65% of workers in the midwest, went to school in the midwest, while only 40% of workers in the west went to school in the west and 52% of workers in the east went to school in the east (but keep in mind 33% of all students went to school in the NE, see table below)

Row Labels-------% of Students
Mid-Atlantic-----------18.26%
Midwest---------------23.36%
Northeast-------------33.19%
South------------------11.76%
West-------------------13.42%
Attachments

Highwyre_Revised_MBA Job Placement by Region.xlsx [41.96 KiB]
Downloaded 53 times

Manager
Manager
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
agreed with Cobrakai and King Falcon.

To add, here's a few interesting pivot tables I threw together with your data, plus the class sizes of each school.

The first table shows the percentage of that MBA market a school makes up... so, lets say you want to work in the northeast, do you have more alumni to reach out to from a large midwestern school like Booth, or a small Northeastern school like Tuck?

(I know I know, Tuck alumni tend to be more responsive... if someone wants to put a metric around the response rate of an alumni base and add it into this calculation go for it...)

the second pretty much rolls the data from your table into regions, how regional is a certain region of schools?

As you can see, 57% of employees in the south went to school in the south, 65% of workers in the midwest, went to school in the midwest, while only 40% of workers in the west went to school in the west and 52% of workers in the east went to school in the east (but keep in mind 33% of all students went to school in the NE, see table below)

Row Labels-------% of Students
Mid-Atlantic-----------18.26%
Midwest---------------23.36%
Northeast-------------33.19%
South------------------11.76%
West-------------------13.42%

Really nice work!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Also agree with CobraKai. It seems like a self fulfilling prophecy.
GMAT Club Bot