Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [66]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [4]
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4800 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: However much Americans may complain that jury duty disrupts their live [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
snoor wrote:
However much Americans may complain that jury duty disrupts their lives and that the jury selection process can be long and tedious, most agree that there is no alternative to this procedure that would ensure the right of those charged with crimes to a jury of their peers.

A. However much Americans may complain that

B. Despite the complaints among Americans about the fact

C. Although Americans complain

D. Even though Americans may complain

E. There are complaints among Americans that

Orginial sentence talks about uncertainy vs B,C,E talks about certainity

A and D remains.

A sounds better. and parallel in structure.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4800 [0]
Send PM
Re: However much Americans may complain that jury duty disrupts their live [#permalink]
x2suresh wrote:
snoor wrote:
However much Americans may complain that jury duty disrupts their lives and that the jury selection process can be long and tedious, most agree that there is no alternative to this procedure that would ensure the right of those charged with crimes to a jury of their peers.

A and D remains.

D. Even though Americans [color=#BF0080]may complain [/color]

The "May" in D expresses uncertainity
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
x2suresh wrote:
snoor wrote:

A and D remains.

Hi Dont u think that we any ways need "that" after the underlined portion. (i mean i agree with what u say bout certainity and uncertainty)
so its just another reason for D to be eliminated, coz it does not contain "that" after the underlined portion.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4800 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
vdhawan1 wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
snoor wrote:

A and D remains.

Hi Dont u think that we any ways need "that" after the underlined portion. (i mean i agree with what u say bout certainity and uncertainty)
so its just another reason for D to be eliminated, coz it does not contain "that" after the underlined portion.

Dhawan, I agree with you. Absence of "that" is a valid reason to eliminate D. The answer choice definetly does not represent uncertainity.

Even though Americans may complain that jury duty disrupts their lives and that the jury selection process can be long and tedious, most agree that there is no alternative to this procedure that would ensure the right of those charged with crimes to a jury of their
After carefully analysis of the structure of teh sentence I realised " that is used as a modifier and it lends a parrael structure -
that jury duty disrupts their lives and that the jury selection process can be long and tedious.
If you pose a question - "what do the AMericans complain about?" - that binds "jury duty disrupts their lives" and "the jury selection process can be long and tedious" to the sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Bookmarks
goalsnr wrote:

A and D remains.

A sounds better. and parallel in structure.[/quote]

so its just another reason for D to be eliminated, coz it does not contain "that" after the underlined portion.[/quote]

Dhawan, I agree with you. Absence of "that" is a valid reason to eliminate D. The answer choice definetly does not represent uncertainity.

Even though Americans may complain that jury duty disrupts their lives and that the jury selection process can be long and tedious, most agree that there is no alternative to this procedure that would ensure the right of those charged with crimes to a jury of their
After carefully analysis of the structure of teh sentence I realised " that is used as a modifier and it lends a parrael structure -
that jury duty disrupts their lives and that the jury selection process can be long and tedious.
If you pose a question - "what do the AMericans complain about?" - that binds "jury duty disrupts their lives" and "the jury selection process can be long and tedious" to the sentence.[/quote]

I did not understand why that is required here, can you please explain?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos