Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Wow that's great news! I'm so happy with that I'd like to turn this into an "Evaluate my profile" type post for the 4 schools I listed above if that's ok.

At the time of my apps I will have 3.5 years of work experience and be 25 years old. When I start school I will have 4 years of work experience and be 26.

Work Experience: 3.5 years at a small business valuation firm (financial consulting). I have progressed very fast here. I started as an analyst that just researched and input numbers. Now I manage projects from start to finish which includes: visiting companies to interview senior managemnt and tour facilities, interact regularly with clients, conclude on values and write reports. I also have a few minor marketing successes. As far as additional impact, I have fought (and succeded) to revise some of our valuation practices to be in line with some of the more innovative and modern industry practices (including working to develop a methodology to value early-stage companies that is among the most innovative in the industry), I have been referred to as the "go to guy" on time sensitive projects and have succesfully gotten out important reports when pushed up against tight deadlines.

Academics: Top 30 school. Undergrad business major with a finance concentration. 3.6 major gpa but only 3.24 overall due to a poor start. I also held 5 internships, tutored underprivelaged children, participated as a mentee in our career mentoring program and served on student govt. GMAT (see above).

ECs: I am a mentor to current undergraduates (even though there is suppose to be a 5-yr experience requirement to mentor), I serve on my alumni associations event planning committee (and will have run my own event before I send in apps), I am an accredited member of the ASA (business valuation profesional org) and I have passed one level of the CFA.

Why an MBA? To get into investment management. Business valuation does basically the same stuff (determine the value of companies) and uses the same skills as investment management just for different purposes. During my years in BV I have learned as much as there is to learn from this industry (due to my rapid career progression). This will be valuabe to me as an investment management analyst. However, investment management requires an even higher level of sophistication when valuing companies. This is why its time for me to take my knowledge to the next step with an MBA. Also, the MBA/CFA combo is highly valued by investment management firms.

How competitive can I be at the Cornell, Yale, Columbia, Harvard. Thanks a ton!

IHateTheGMAT,

Not sure you're quite at the HBS level, but I wouldn't try to convince you not to apply since you do have a strong leadership profile, good GMAT, and some impact stories you can tell. HBS will be a longshot though.

You can be optimistic about Cornell and Yale. You are competitive at Columbia, though they are more selective than Cornell and Yale so your odds are somewhat smaller there. Still, I would not be surprised if they admitted you. Emphasize your leadership.

Good luck,
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
I also took the GMAT four times [#permalink]
I also took the GMAT four times

560 (35Q,32V)
590 (48Q, 24V)
690 (47Q, 37V)
660 (45Q, 36V)

I have already been accepted to a trans-elite school (in and out of the top 20), and I have been waitlisted at two top 15 schools. I took the GMAT the 4th time to try and bump my score up for the waitlist, however, I failed to do so. My job recently offered me a big promotion to stay, which I think I might take and forego b-school for one more year. With that being said, do you think I can take the GMAT again in hopes of breaking the 700 barrier in order to get into those schools that waitlisted me? They all give the same line, "You can take the test 10 times and we will take your highest score." My plan is to take practice tests until I am consistently scoring above 700, at which point I will take the real thing. If I never break 700 consistently in practice exams, then I will never take the real thing.

I know some schools look at all scores if you've taken it more than twice (i.e. Anderson), but if they say they take your highest score, I believe them. It supposedly predicts my success in b-school, and that is the score that they average into the classs profile.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Re: I also took the GMAT four times [#permalink]
djhouse81 wrote:
I also took the GMAT four times

560 (35Q,32V)
590 (48Q, 24V)
690 (47Q, 37V)
660 (45Q, 36V)

I have already been accepted to a trans-elite school (in and out of the top 20), and I have been waitlisted at two top 15 schools. I took the GMAT the 4th time to try and bump my score up for the waitlist, however, I failed to do so. My job recently offered me a big promotion to stay, which I think I might take and forego b-school for one more year. With that being said, do you think I can take the GMAT again in hopes of breaking the 700 barrier in order to get into those schools that waitlisted me? They all give the same line, "You can take the test 10 times and we will take your highest score." My plan is to take practice tests until I am consistently scoring above 700, at which point I will take the real thing. If I never break 700 consistently in practice exams, then I will never take the real thing.

I know some schools look at all scores if you've taken it more than twice (i.e. Anderson), but if they say they take your highest score, I believe them. It supposedly predicts my success in b-school, and that is the score that they average into the classs profile.

djhouse81,

My understanding is that schools look askance at more than three GMAT attempts, i.e., it seems like beating a deadhorse and a little off-balance to them ("get a life," etc.). Just take the 690 and focus on improving your leadership, impact, community profile and giving them an outstanding application.

Hope this helps,
GMAT Club Bot
Re: I also took the GMAT four times [#permalink]