Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:NSTU
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q59 V57
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: IELTS vs TOEFL - which one is better ? [#permalink]
IELTS & TOEFL both are English Proficiency test. Both tests are widely accepted by almost all universities across the world. Let’s see the difference between them:

IELTS

First and foremost, IELTS is easier than TOEFL.
It’s a paper based exam.
Test duration is 2 hours 45 minutes.
There are four sections: Speaking, Listening, Writing and Reading.
Speaking Section :
Speaking test lasts for 11–14 minutes. It is face to face interview and there are total three tasks.

Task 1: In task 1, first of all you will give your introduction and then you will be asked questions on familiar topics such as about family, hobbies, hometown etc. Task 1 lasts around 4–5 minutes.
Task 2: Task 2 lasts for 3–4 minutes. You have to talk on very simple topic such as ‘Describe a place you have visited recently.’ or ‘what you did in your recent free time?’ etc. You will be given 1 minute for preparation, you can make notes too. Then you have to speak 2 minute continuously about given topic.
Task 3: In task 3, you will be asked questions that are related to task 2 topic. Again this task is for around 4–5 minutes.
Speaking test can be taken either before, after or on the same day as the other sections.

Listening Section :
There are total 4 sections in IELTS listening test. Best part is this listening test is similar for both Academic and General module. So this test is too easy and scoring section as well.

1st and 2nd section are based on social situation while 3rd and 4th sections are academic. There are total 40 questions and test lasts for 40 minutes. You listen to the recording and answer the questions for 30 minutes. After that you have 10 minutes to transfer your answer to the answer sheet. While listening you have question paper in front of you, so you know what answer you have to find and when you get your answer you can write it over there.

Writing Section :
There are two tasks in this section. In task 1, you have to describe a pie chart/ bar graph/ line graph/ table or diagram. Task 2 is an essay. you have total 60 minutes for overall writing task. In task 1, you have to write at least 150 words and in task 2 at least 250 words. If you write less than these, you will lose band 1. There are real sample answer sheets are available, you can download it, print it and practice on it. As it’s a paper based test, you can write it either by using pencil or pen. While in TOEFL you have to type your essay.

Reading Section :
Reading test is also lasts for 1 hour. It comes directly after your test. There is no extra time for you to transfer your answers on answer sheet, you have to write your answers while reading only. There are three reading passages in academic module. These passages are usually taken from books, magazine and newspapers, so they are easier than that of TOEFL reading section.

I didn’t appear for TOEFL, so i don’t know much about it. I heard about it from my friends. So many of my friends gave TOEFL 2–3 times and scored low. Some people might not be comfortable with computerized test. Even i heard during speaking section in TOEFL, Other candidates are also speaking so one may could not give that much concentration to one’s speaking. Sometimes there were some technical problems. Some topics or unfamiliar or not relevant, ambiguous. In listening section, you first have to listen recording and then questions will appear, so that time it may difficult to answer some questions.

Well, recently i have appeared for IELTS and my experience with it was awesome. IELTS test conducts at hotels so environment was great. I was made comfortable by examiner before my speaking test so i didn't even feel like i am here for any test and all and i scored well in my IELTS test.

Hope this information helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Its depend upon your admission process and education level.

IELTS and TOEFL test required as per universities entrance exams.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q59 V57
Send PM
TOEFL is the standard test for US universities, IELTS is recognized by most US universities (about 3000 out of 4000). The British exam includes a variety of dialects, so if you are more comfortable with the American dialect, this might make IELTS more challenging. The two, however, are expected to achieve similar predictive results.

I have read that the IELTS proves difficult for native speakers of English -- the average test result for native speakers is not high -- but I am not personally familiar with the exam and have taught and tutored only for TOEFL and to a limited extent the TOEIC.

A student visa in the US requires admission to a school, so if the test score (TOEFL or IELTS) is acceptable to the school and you are admitted, the school will inform the government and a visa will be issued except in very rare circumstances.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
The TOEFL test is all in an academic context whereas the IELTS test is half academic and half social.

TOEFL test is multiple choice only, so if you like those questions this might be the test for you. IELTS has a range of different questions including sentence completion, matching headings and True, False or Not Given.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM